Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Virgin Media Mates Rates for 2012 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685096)

More Than A pret 30-01-2012 11:09

Virgin Media Mates Rates for 2012

Does anyone know where the Virgin Media Mates rates for 2012 are published. A friend who works for Virgin has offered it to us but does not know the fulll details of what is included in the package including the length of the contract . He said he is able to introduce a certain number of people each year and we will be able to continue with this "perk" as long as he is employed by Virgin Media. As only people who are able to qualify are eligible for Mates rates and the general public will not be able to get it. So why not have a web sites for Mates/prospective Mates customer detailing costs various packages length of contract and with or without a TIVO box.The latter is a major attraction for us. We also have a friend who works for Sky and has offered us a Friends and Family package with the, It would be good to be able to make a comparrision before reaching a decision.

BenMcr 30-01-2012 11:30

Re: Virgin Media Mates Rates for 2012

There are full details of the offer on the Virgin internal website, in the same place where the form is located for staff to refer their friends.

So your friend can provide all appropriate details of costs, contract length etc, which would also then be confirmed by the Sales agent you speak to when arranging installation

Mark Up 30-01-2012 15:01

Why all the secrecy. Only a very limited number of people will be eligible so why not publish the tariff even if the friend or relative who works for Virgin Media has to give you a code to enter the site to obtain the information. The majority of the public will not be eligible for the Mates rate so it would be of no use to them. I certainly would not want to get my Uncle into trouble with Virgin asking him to do anything he should not do. At least list the different packages available under this scheme with all that is included together with the length of the contract, without quoting the price. I hear the tariff price is negotiable anyway depending on who you talk to at Virgin. I know someone who had the TIVO Box thrown in for free to the package without having to pay the additional £3 a month for this service, so maybe there is no hard and fast tariff.

BenMcr 30-01-2012 15:09

What do you mean 'get your Uncle into trouble'? There is nothing preventing him from telling you what the offer is.

As for the bundles options, you have to take at least the XL Plus which is detailed on the Virgin Media website here http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles/...s/xl-plus.html - which VM employee referring you on the scheme should be able to point you to.

jfman 30-01-2012 15:25

Why would Virgin want to raise awareness that a portion of its subscriber base is paying substantially less than the standard price?

Stephen 30-01-2012 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Up (Post 35372201)
Why all the secrecy. Only a very limited number of people will be eligible so why not publish the tariff even if the friend or relative who works for Virgin Media has to give you a code to enter the site to obtain the information. The majority of the public will not be eligible for the Mates rate so it would be of no use to them. I certainly would not want to get my Uncle into trouble with Virgin asking him to do anything he should not do. At least list the different packages available under this scheme with all that is included together with the length of the contract, without quoting the price. I hear the tariff price is negotiable anyway depending on who you talk to at Virgin. I know someone who had the TIVO Box thrown in for free to the package without having to pay the additional £3 a month for this service, so maybe there is no hard and fast tariff.

It's not a secret at all. The only way to apply for it is the staff member submitting your contact details and you get a call from the mates rates sales team. No one would get in trouble.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by More Than A pret (Post 35372023)
Does anyone know where the Virgin Media Mates rates for 2012 are published. A friend who works for Virgin has offered it to us but does not know the fulll details of what is included in the package including the length of the contract . He said he is able to introduce a certain number of people each year and we will be able to continue with this "perk" as long as he is employed by Virgin Media. As only people who are able to qualify are eligible for Mates rates and the general public will not be able to get it. So why not have a web sites for Mates/prospective Mates customer detailing costs various packages length of contract and with or without a TIVO box.The latter is a major attraction for us. We also have a friend who works for Sky and has offered us a Friends and Family package with the, It would be good to be able to make a comparrision before reaching a decision.

They should easily be able to let you know the package and how much it costs. It's on the intranet in the same place as the application form. There is also no limit to how many people you can have on the cable mates rates.

bubblegun 30-01-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by More Than A pret (Post 35372023)

I spoke to 2 people the other day both claiming they were getting a "Mates Rates" package that should be £75 was was going for £41 for tv, tel and bb with sky sports and movies.

BenMcr 30-01-2012 16:07

Well I can say for definate they won't as Mates Rates. Sky Sports and Movies alone cost £29.50 so Virgin wouldn't offer the rest for £11

bubblegun 30-01-2012 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35372230)
Well I can say for definate they won't as Mates Rates. Sky Sports and Movies alone cost £29.50 so Virgin wouldn't offer the rest for £11

What a relief. I thought Virgin were crazy.

Yes, it does seem a bit silly offering that price to poach them from Sky and giving about £25 of it back to Sky.

andybrock 30-01-2012 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegun (Post 35372235)
What a relief. I thought Virgin were crazy.

Yes, it does seem a bit silly offering that price to poach them from Sky and giving about £25 of it back to Sky.

Can confirm this.
More like £60 ish.

devilincarnate 30-01-2012 20:48

I get Mate's rate and getting the VIP 50 for £15.00 pm

:D:D:D:D:D Joking

andybrock 01-02-2012 17:28

Does anyone know the fee for upgrading to Tivo on mates rates.

Looking to go to VIP50 with 1TB tivo from standard Mrates package.

Twilight Zone 03-02-2012 07:49

Quote:

Originally posted by Stephen
There is also no limit to how many people you can have on the cable mates rates.
If there is no limit, can someone recommend me :)

MaverickJesus 03-02-2012 08:05

Its not called Mates & Internet Randoms Rates, if I remember correctly.

spiderplant 03-02-2012 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Zone (Post 35374536)

If you already have TV, BB and phone you aren't eligible anyway. It's only for people taking new cable services.

tycho 03-02-2012 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by andybrock (Post 35373585)
Does anyone know the fee for upgrading to Tivo on mates rates.

It's the standard Mates Rates price plus £3.

Standard mates rates is:-
TV XL
V+ Box
Second VHD Box
30MB BB
Phone with unlimited calls to UK landlines 24/7
Talk International + Talk Mobile bundles

for £38 per month.

I upgraded both of the boxes on the deal to Tivo's instead and get all the above for £41 per month (that was before the charge went from per account to per box).

andybuk99 03-02-2012 21:16

I'm on mates rates from about 2 years ago. I have the vip package with 20mb bb with a v+ downstairs and a standard box upstairs (completly useless quality). I want to upgrade to Tivo and increase the bb and have either our old v+ box upstairs or an hd box. I called Virgin and explained all this but they said I wouldnt be able to do it and I would lose my mates rates discount if I changed the package! I am just in the process of getting my mate to re apply for me, not sure what the outcome will be though.

MrB 07-02-2012 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycho (Post 35374568)
It's the standard Mates Rates price plus £3.

Standard mates rates is:-
TV XL
V+ Box
Second VHD Box
30MB BB
Phone with unlimited calls to UK landlines 24/7
Talk International + Talk Mobile bundles

for £38 per month.

I upgraded both of the boxes on the deal to Tivo's instead and get all the above for £41 per month (that was before the charge went from per account to per box).

Out of interest, how will the April 1st price increase affect this please?

Many thanks

MrB

andybrock 22-02-2012 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by andybuk99 (Post 35375010)
I'm on mates rates from about 2 years ago. I have the vip package with 20mb bb with a v+ downstairs and a standard box upstairs (completly useless quality). I want to upgrade to Tivo and increase the bb and have either our old v+ box upstairs or an hd box. I called Virgin and explained all this but they said I wouldnt be able to do it and I would lose my mates rates discount if I changed the package! I am just in the process of getting my mate to re apply for me, not sure what the outcome will be though.

I have just upgraded form original Mate Rates(20mb/V+ and HD box upstairs) to VIP50.Strange thing is when I enquired the CS said it couldnt be done and would I send an invoice from a friend who has this deal!!!!
Rung the following week and it was arranged there and then,very odd!!
Havnt upgraded to Tivo as an install fee was required and I declined.
Good luck

AndyCambs 22-02-2012 18:37

I'd like a mate! :)

Sirius 22-02-2012 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 35386447)
I'd like a mate! :)

If you already have all the services it will not work. You must be adding a product

MrB 22-02-2012 21:06

When I had TiVo added to my standard Triple XL mates rates £38.01 deal I just phoned Retentions and they were able to do it (I had been told by the mates rates person to call retentions and ask them to contact mates rates to call back, but retrntions chap said it was unnecessary as they were now able to deal with it). This was back in October/November. So currently £41.01 but going up £3.50 in April - so much for having a contract/price honoured!

MrB

Digital Fanatic 22-02-2012 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 35386583)
When I had TiVo added to my standard Triple XL mates rates £38.01 deal I just phoned Retentions and they were able to do it (I had been told by the mates rates person to call retentions and ask them to contact mates rates to call back, but retrntions chap said it was unnecessary as they were now able to deal with it). This was back in October/November. So currently £41.01 but going up £3.50 in April - so much for having a contract/price honoured!

MrB

Still a good deal for a customer IMO

MrB 22-02-2012 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35386592)
Still a good deal for a customer IMO

I'm not disputing that it is a good deal and am very grateful to my mate. But it is not unreasonable to expect that when you agree an 18 month contract for £41.01 that it should be honoured at that price for the contract period you are tied to. I cannot renegotiate until the end of my contract as I have agreed to take the services and the price for that period, which are the key elements of the contract.

I know there is a get out option in the contract for this price rise but why should I leave rather than have my contract price honoured?

I know what I am sayIng is not an isolated view when you look at all the discussion boards online - this rise has created a lot of dissatisfaction.

All the best.

MrB

MrB 03-03-2012 16:01

... So did anyone on Mates Rates manage to get out of the rise?

And does anyone know, do you have to keep Talk Mobile and Unlimited (would removing then remove mates rates discount)?

Many thanks

MrB

jb66 03-03-2012 16:15

No, mates rates is the best rate you can get

JDavies 12-04-2012 23:37

How exactly can a person get mate rates and when are these available? I am trying to leave SKY for VM, but the current online offers are still a bit on the high side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

BenMcr 12-04-2012 23:42

Mates Rates are only available to friends of Virgin Media staff

Telly_ 13-04-2012 00:50

If you see a guy in VM van or get a visit from a VM tech offer him £20 and hey presto you go mates rates.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 35386613)
I'm not disputing that it is a good deal and am very grateful to my mate. But it is not unreasonable to expect that when you agree an 18 month contract for £41.01 that it should be honoured at that price for the contract period you are tied to. I cannot renegotiate until the end of my contract as I have agreed to take the services and the price for that period, which are the key elements of the contract.

I know there is a get out option in the contract for this price rise but why should I leave rather than have my contract price honoured?

I know what I am sayIng is not an isolated view when you look at all the discussion boards online - this rise has created a lot of dissatisfaction.

All the best.

MrB

Would the contract you want honored be the one that clearly stated VM could raise their prices at anytime? An also lets you cancel if they do raise the price?

Some people eh.

MrB 13-04-2012 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly Bear (Post 35413305)
If you see a guy in VM van or get a visit from a VM tech offer him £20 and hey presto you go mates rates.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Would the contract you want honored be the one that clearly stated VM could raise their prices at anytime? An also lets you cancel if they do raise the price?

Some people eh.

Sorry, I forgot, you break the rules on here when you say anything against Virgin Media. It is not unreasonable to expect if you sign an 18 month contract that the price doesn't go up by above inflation a few months later. It is a lot of hassle moving services around, making arrangements for install etc so people should not have to move or jump through hoops to get their agreed price honoured, as the price and services are two key elements of the contract agreed.

Some people eh? More money than sense if you don't query price rises and just accept what big businesses do to you.

MrB

andy_m 13-04-2012 08:34

Correct. I recently noticed that my current package is £3.56 more expensive than the same services would be under the new "collections"pricing. My recent price rise was £3.70. Would anybody really stand for a price increase when they knew they could wipe out the majority of it by changing the price structure applicable to the same services? Only a fool, easily parted with his money, surely?

kenorb4000 13-04-2012 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDavies (Post 35413562)
If anyone on here works for Virgin then I would dearly like to become their "new best friend!" Would love a code or recomendation or whatever if anyone feeling generous. Thanks.

Bloody hell JD! Haven't you even got the nous to write your own plea rather than copy and paste mine from AV forums?

jb66 13-04-2012 18:33

The new mates rates is only £15 discount, pretty crap

JDavies 13-04-2012 18:47

Apologies - sorry.

Please accept my sincere apology.
It has been a long day.....:erm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenorb4000 (Post 35413571)
Bloody hell JD! Haven't you even got the nous to write your own plea rather than copy and paste mine from AV forums?

Stephen 13-04-2012 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35413573)

you sure?

I must have miss read it then as that definitely doesn't sound right.

MrB 13-04-2012 20:10

I understood from another forum that it is now £43.01, apparently a discount on £76.96.

MrB

spiderplant 13-04-2012 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35413604)
you sure?

Yeah he's right. Plus 25% off mobile.

BenMcr 13-04-2012 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35413573)

Crap would be £0 discount off the normal price, can't really complain that Virgin are still offering something

MrB 13-04-2012 22:16

Has it changed again since March? So isn't it still a £33.95 discount?

http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2175

New customers can get 6 months half price, £140 cashback on Quidco/Topcashback etc.

MrB

BenMcr 13-04-2012 22:30

Yes a new offer was released at the same time as the Collections

jb66 14-04-2012 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35413628)
Crap would be £0 discount off the normal price, can't really complain that Virgin are still offering something

It's crap because you don't get 6 months free either. you get a better discount signing up online via quidco. This is what I will be reccomeding my mates to do

MrB 14-04-2012 15:16

So with the change how will this affect those on the old triple XL based Mates Rates? Does the new deal compare well in trrms of services? Our price went up £3.50 which was annoying - how long will this package last? It was supposed to be at least 18 months/as long as my mate works there?

MrB

jb66 14-04-2012 15:48

Folk can remain on the old mates rates, its £2 more expensive and you only get basic phoneline

spiderplant 14-04-2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 35413791)
So with the change how will this affect those on the old triple XL based Mates Rates? Does the new deal compare well in trrms of services? Our price went up £3.50 which was annoying - how long will this package last? It was supposed to be at least 18 months/as long as my mate works there?

Mates Rates gives you a fixed discount. You are still getting the same discount as before, but the base price has gone up by £3.50.

MrB 14-04-2012 18:48

Thank you for clarifying, I will stay on my current version then as I have two TiVo and a V+ so best off not to tinker with the package as knowing my luck someone would change it and I would lose out (though do not need the mobile or international £2 add ons, which I believe I cannot remove without it affecting the Mates Rates discount? Shame as that would wipe out the rise).

Many thanks

MrB

reddevil 25-04-2012 08:40

Hi All

Does anyone know if the terms and conditions have changed for mates rates recently. I was on three services but cancelled my phone to try and save a bit of money. After a few weeks i was going to apply for mates rates but they have informed my friend that you have to have donwngraded from 3 to 2 services for 180 days. I thought this used to be 60 or 90 days? Does anyone know?

BenMcr 25-04-2012 09:54

As far as I know, any disconnection to try and get the Mates Rates, disqualifies you from getting it

MovedGoalPosts 25-04-2012 10:35

I'm lead to believe that there have been a lot of changes to mates rates as it was potentially getting abused and the discount (of course any discount is good) was too generous.

Originally the programme had been called friends and family and I understand at that time only 5 or so people could be nominated by any VM employee. When it became mates rates that restriction was dropped. But in turn as the discounts were good I heard stories (that I can't substantiate) that some were almost selling the discount to anybody they met in return for a backhander. Now the discount level has been reduced that financial gain has gone.

To be able to move onto mates rates you need to have a VM Mate (please do not pester staff on Cable Forum to be their mate). You also need to be adding a service to your existing line up and then you will be on a new contract. To prevent people dropping services temporarily so they can make a saving, the timescale has changed to 180 days, which is I believe similar to the timescale that would apply for the "new customer introductory rates" for services on standard tarrifs.

reddevil 25-04-2012 10:49

Thanks guys for your help.

Dont worry i wont pester anyone, i have a mate in VM but he's on holiday at the moment.

Alison67 14-01-2013 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Zone (Post 35374536)

A employee can only add 5 members to mates rates, and no more! I work for virgin media

Stephen 14-01-2013 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison67 (Post 35522839)
A employee can only add 5 members to mates rates, and no more! I work for virgin media

That's not right. Cable mates rates has no limits. The 5 applies to mobile mates rates.

Alison67 14-01-2013 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35522840)
That's not right. Cable mates rates has no limits. The 5 applies to mobile mates rates.

No it doesn't, its 5 family and friends only for any virgin employee! So if i was you i'd check your info again, because you are wrong! I work in direct sale for virgin, so unless you are richard branson you know naff mate!

jb66 14-01-2013 06:25

no its unlimited doh, ive got 10mates on it

RobboEdin 14-01-2013 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35522850)

IMHO It should not be limitless as each 'friend' on Mates Rates is simply a reduction in the company's profit.

It is an employee benefit if restricted to a few family members but becomes counter-productive when extended to many friends.

jb66 14-01-2013 08:53

you can only put folk on it who dont have all 3 services, its money virgin never had anyway

Sirius 14-01-2013 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35522850)

I have done 8 upto now

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison67 (Post 35522844)
No it doesn't, its 5 family and friends only for any virgin employee! So if i was you i'd check your info again, because you are wrong! I work in direct sale for virgin, so unless you are richard branson you know naff mate!

Wow

Stephen 14-01-2013 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison67 (Post 35522844)

Excuse me! No need to speak to me like that. As per other replies it is you that's incorrect!

RobboEdin 14-01-2013 13:02

Perhaps this disagreement between Virgin Media employees means that the systems are not in place to police the intent of the employee program.

Chad 14-01-2013 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35522964)
Excuse me! No need to speak to me like that. As per other replies it is you that's incorrect!

There's only one way to sort this out......

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...01/1.jpg?w=510

essjay 14-01-2013 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison67 (Post 35522839)

Utter tripe, I've put over 20 of my friends and family........and thats all I have 20 friends :D

Well they call themselves friends.............think most of them just want cheap cable :)

BenMcr 14-01-2013 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by essjay (Post 35522979)
Well they call themselves friends.............think most of them just want cheap cable :)

Most of my friends that have Virgin haven't bothered to let me know they were getting it until after they ordered - by which time it's far too late lol

Alison67 14-01-2013 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35522988)
Most of my friends that have Virgin haven't bothered to let me know they were getting it until after they ordered - by which time it's far too late lol

so are you in <deleted - please don't invade people's privacy by naming them> team then ben?

BenMcr 14-01-2013 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison67 (Post 35523037)
so are you in <deleted> team then ben?

Nope, not sure how you get that from my previous post lol

Alison67 14-01-2013 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35522936)
I have done 8 upto now

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Wow

sorry what was that you sent to me? less of the attitude? really?

Sirius 14-01-2013 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison67 (Post 35523047)
sorry what was that you sent to me? less of the attitude? really?

The fact you came on here and then started to have a go at someone because they pointed out you were wrong. Plus we do not give out VM staff names on here unless they have given permission for that name to be posted in public.

Alison67 14-01-2013 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35523039)
Nope, not sure how you get that from my previous post lol

just asking as your in manchester? he has the top performing direct sales team in the uk, just wondered what department you worked in that was all? was in manchester 3 weeks ago.:)

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35523048)
The fact you came on here and then started to have a go at someone because they pointed out you were wrong.

and i don't have to answer to you about how i speak to anyone, funny how i worked for virgin for yonks and i'm not allowed more than 5 mates rates sign ups, oh and all the lads in the team as well, some of them been with virgin 8 years. weird ain't it.

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35523048)
The fact you came on here and then started to have a go at someone because they pointed out you were wrong. Plus we do not give out VM staff names on here unless they have given permission for that name to be posted in public.

get a life, staff names lol lmao what is this site secret service, think your taking things just a bit too serious you doofus lmao, awwww bless you got no sense of humour, wonder if virgin sell this, quick get the name police lmao

Sirius 14-01-2013 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison67 (Post 35523049)
just asking as your in manchester? he has the top performing direct sales team in the uk, just wondered what department you worked in that was all? was in manchester 3 weeks ago.:)

and i don't have to answer to you about how i speak to anyone, funny how i worked for virgin for yonks and i'm not allowed more than 5 mates rates sign ups, oh and all the lads in the team as well, some of them been with virgin 8 years. weird ain't it.

I do seem to remember there was a limit, then it changed. Now as long as there adding a service they can be added i believe ?

BenMcr 14-01-2013 15:18

Quote:

I'd check 4.3 of the Mates Rates FAQs on the intranet. You may be pleasantly surprised.

The rest of us won't ;)

Stephen 14-01-2013 15:24

Quote:

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

get a life, staff names lol lmao what is this site secret service, think your taking things just a bit too serious you doofus lmao, awwww bless you got no sense of humour, wonder if virgin sell this, quick get the name police lmao

Please take a look at your attitude and calm down.

There are rules and regulations to follow for VM staff posting in public forums and social media. Please check them on the intranet.

Its not clever to throw around staff members names in public. If you wish to discuss then by all means private message and have a conversation that way.

Also if you plan on insulting other forum members then you will quickly find yourself on the wrong side of the forum members and staff.

As I mentioned the current standing is for cable mates rates it is unlimited as long as they are adding a service and for Mobile Mates rates it is a limit 0f 5.