Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : The Expanse (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702228)

General Maximus 25-01-2016 20:49

The Expanse

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/about

"Hundreds of years in the future, humans have colonized the solar system. The U.N. controls Earth. Mars is an independent military power. The planets rely on the resources of the Asteroid Belt, where air and water are more precious than gold. For decades, tensions have been rising between these three places. Earth, Mars and the Belt are now on the brink of war. And all it will take is a single spark"

Thought I would create a thread and no one else has yet. We are up to 1x08 and I must say I am really enjoying it. It is great to have some proper pure space sci-fi again which isn't as cheesy as stuff like Dark Matter. I would recommend it to anyone and the only thing I will say is you need to watch the first 4 eps to get into it. It has been likened to series like BSG and GoT where it just drops you right into the middle of something and it takes time to work out who is who and what is going on.

Stuart 26-01-2016 19:29

Re: The Expanse

About half way through the first episode so I am not judging it, but so far it seems a bit like a generic sci fi disaster threatening humanity series. I'll watch a few episodes before I decide if I like it or not.

General Maximus 26-01-2016 19:40

it comes into its own later on. I know some series are so flipping amazing like BSG and GoT that you get hooked right from the start with the pilot but you really do need to watch the first 4 eps of this one to let things get going and the story develop. You'll understand what I mean.

Horizon 09-02-2016 21:13

Watched the whole series of this now and while there are some elements of it I like, the end episode, which I will not spoil for those not seen it, I didn't believe.

I've always loved Sci-Fi/fantasy stuff, but perhaps I'm getting too old as I just find a lot of stuff in the genre boring and repetitive.

I don't see this series returning despite some interesting ideas.

Hugh 09-02-2016 21:21

The book series is very good - five published so far, with the sixth on it's way.

I've really enjoyed the TV series.

General Maximus 09-02-2016 21:32

It is good but not amazing. I think i am enjoying it more than i probably should because it is the only propet space series out atm. I cant wait for the new Star Trek series.

Paul 29-02-2016 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35821308)
I don't see this series returning despite some interesting ideas.

It was renewed for a 13 Episode Season 2.

Just started to watch this as I have so much else to watch as well.
Seen Eps 1 & 2 so far, not fantastic, but holding my attention just enough to keep going for now.

General Maximus 29-02-2016 03:39

I am really pleased to hear it has been renewed. You'll love it, it really kicks off after ep 4

techguyone 29-02-2016 12:51

It's pretty good, not great, but ok. The books however.... fantastic!

cupcakes aka dd 15-06-2016 23:50

Does anyone know when this is coming to the UK?

adzii_nufc 16-06-2016 00:15

No information on that at all. Its yet to even be picked up by a UK broadcaster. Doesn't mean that it ever will either. It could never air here or follow Better Call Saul and make it to UK screens via on demand Netflix. Judging by the lack of activity by Netflix it seems no one is in a rush to pick it up which is strange because it doesn't have bad reviews by any means but then again Person of interest and Fringe had great reviews and were cancelled for viewership and financial arguments. Both involved JJ Abrams and both got a 13 episode 5th cancellation season, that pattern.

Maybe someone will leave it to mid second season to see what it'll average over multiple seasons. Not really sure how it works.

General Maximus 16-06-2016 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35843292)
Does anyone know when this is coming to the UK?

Unless I have lost the plot I can absolutely 100% guarantee I have seen it on TV, it was on syfy and followed not too far behind the US. I can remember watching bits of eps I had seen while I was eating tea one night.

Edit: My bad, just went to look it up and provide a link to confirm and when I was playing the scenes back in my head I realised I was watching Dark Matter :doh: The Expanse is really flipping good though and I strongly recommend it.

cupcakes aka dd 17-06-2016 12:08

How did you guys in the uk watch it?

Scary 17-06-2016 12:14

i dowloaded it, i cant wait for season 2 in 2017

General Maximus 17-06-2016 13:25

The thing which i dont understand is why syfy UK didnt pick it up. You would have thought that it would be the epitomy of scifi for them and they would jump at the chance to have it regardless of whether they thouhht it would be cancelled or not. It is great that they have Star Trek but they neex to keep up with new series as well.

Stuart 17-06-2016 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35819010)
About half way through the first episode so I am not judging it, but so far it seems a bit like a generic sci fi disaster threatening humanity series. I'll watch a few episodes before I decide if I like it or not.

Still only watched about half way through the first episode, and actually forgot about the series.

General Maximus 17-06-2016 17:27

normally I can tell whether I am going to like something within the first episode but I'll be honest and say it took till ep4 to really get in to it.

Paul 18-06-2016 22:23

I seem to remember it took a couple of episodes to get into it, but in the end I did like it, and look forward to season 2.

General Maximus 14-07-2016 18:09

"Bobbie Draper has arrived. Entertainment Weekly has released a first look at the new character from season two of The Expanse.

Based on James S.A. Corey’s book series, the Syfy drama follows a detective (Thomas Jane) and his crew as they solve a universe-wide conspiracy. The cast also includes Steven Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Dominique Tipper, and Cas Anvar.

In season two, Frankie Adams will play Martian marine Roberta “Bobbie” Draper. Showrunner Naren Shankar said Adams’ casting is faithful to the character in the book:

When you ask a casting director to find a 6-foot half-Polynesian, the response is usually one of stunned silence, like, ‘Really?’ And we were like, ‘Yeah, really.’ We’ve been very conscious about maintaining the ethnic identity of the characters in the book as much as humanly possible. And we were really intent on doing that with Bobbie.”

Season two of The Expanse debuts in 2017."

Paul 14-07-2016 20:09

Looking forward to it.

General Maximus 14-07-2016 20:57

me too, I love proper serious sci-fi. Next year is going to be a good year with the new Star Trek series coming out as well.

Edit: as an fyi Star Trek Beyond comes out at the cinema next week.

adzii_nufc 15-07-2016 19:00

What's the consensus then? Worth a watch? Looking for gap fillers between The flash, Arrow, Lucifer and the now finished POI.

Running out of stuff to binge watch too. Anything Sci-fi is worth a punt though. Fringe etc.

techguyone 15-07-2016 19:02

Worth a look, the books are excellent, the series not bad at all.

General Maximus 15-07-2016 19:03

absolutely, I know I am going to repeat myself but you will feel like the first episode or two drags but I persevered because it is serious space sci-fi but once you get to ep 4 it really kicks off. Don't think of it as a "gap filler" or a second rate show to watch while nothing else is on. This can survive on its own merits and should be considered mandatory viewing for any scifi enthusiast.

adzii_nufc 15-07-2016 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35849873)
absolutely, I know I am going to repeat myself but you will feel like the first episode or two drags but I persevered because it is serious space sci-fi but once you get to ep 4 it really kicks off. Don't think of it as a "gap filler" or a second rate show to watch while nothing else is on. This can survive on its own merits and should be considered mandatory viewing for any scifi enthusiast.

Probably made gap filler sound worse than it meant. Fringe was a filler and became one of my favourite TV shows I've ever seen. Just meant something current to slot into my empty viewing habits at the minute.

Looking to reach a point where I've got enough multiple enjoyable shows that I don't have gaps.

Excited for this now though knowing I'm a season behind and have to play catch up. Free to watch hours at a time.
The reason I have so little is I simply never bothered with TV shows for a very long time thinking production quality and end product was doomed. Stuff like Sherlock, current DC programming and co as well as old stuff like Fringe and POI gave me a wake up call.

Besides here and mates I don't really go searching for stuff, Netflix reccomends and so on. Lucifer was one I've loved but wouldn't even know it existed if a mate hadn't mentioned it.

Stuart 16-07-2016 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35849873)

There have been many shows I've watched because I had nothing better to do. My sister was adamant I would love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I watched it partly to keep her quiet and partly because I had nothing better to do or watch. It took a few episodes to grow on me, but grow on me it did, and ended up (IMO) one of the best TV shows I have seen. Of course, it helped that most of the female regular cast were quite sexy (especially Sarah Michelle Gellar).

General Maximus 16-07-2016 18:41

my god she looked amazing in season 4. I don't normally like blondes but she looked gorgeous with her long blonde hair. I can remember watching it when it originally aired and there was an ep where she had been away for a while as part of the story and then came back unexpectedly and saved Willow and Xander as they were getting their asses kicked somewhere and she popped the vampire off and stood up and said "hi guys, miss me?" and she was in a stunning long blue dress with her hair down (that is how I remember it 20 years on). I thought it was somewhere in season 3 but I have just had a look for it and can't find it. SMG is defo one of my top babes of all time though along with Jessica Alba (aka Max from Dark Angel), Kristen Kreuk (aka Lana from Smallville) and Lexa Doig (aka Rommi from Andromeda).

adzii_nufc 17-07-2016 23:43

3 down and so far so good.

cupcakes aka dd 18-07-2016 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35849795)
me too, I love proper serious sci-fi. Next year is going to be a good year with the new Star Trek series coming out as well.

Edit: as an fyi Star Trek Beyond comes out at the cinema next week.

Looks like Netflix has the new Star Trek series outside of the USA :-((

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Does anyone know if the Blu Ray of the Expanse from USA works in the UK?

adzii_nufc 18-07-2016 18:54

Netflix isn't a bad punt anyway, easily worth the cost.

As for your blu ray. Its region free. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/revie...t?ie=UTF8&s=sd

Quite a bit annoying that one has to buy a blu ray to legitimately watch this in the UK. There's other methods of course that you're aware of.

adzii_nufc 20-07-2016 19:41

Done. Really enjoyed it but a bit narked it was under 10 hours long overall. I guess it has its benefits as it sticks to the main plot each episode. Onto Season 1 E3 of Mr Robot now.

General Maximus 20-07-2016 20:37

this is the first time I have really thought about it but I think I prefer one big story like GoT and the Expanse rather than individual episodes like Star Trek. Each has their pros and cons; with individual episodes you get to expand the universe and see more individuals/locations (planets in this case) but I am all about character development and one big story really lets you sink you teeth into something (24 is another one) and make it more realistic with the level of detail.

Stuart 21-07-2016 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35850470)
this is the first time I have really thought about it but I think I prefer one big story like GoT and the Expanse rather than individual episodes like Star Trek. Each has their pros and cons; with individual episodes you get to expand the universe and see more individuals/locations (planets in this case) but I am all about character development and one big story really lets you sink you teeth into something (24 is another one) and make it more realistic with the level of detail.

Personally, I prefer a balance of the two. Both ST: TNG and DS9 did that, more so in their latter years, and DS9 more than TNG.

I like a balance of the two because, as you say, an ongoing plotline gives the show more chance to develop both the story and the characters, while individual episodes allow viewers a little relief from an ongoing story. DS 9 used them particularly effectively during the Dominion War storyline, which could have become a lot more depressing without them. Individual episodes also allow people to dip in and out of TV shows, without feeling they have to commit many hours to understand the story line, which they may be unwilling to do if they aren't sure they'll like a show. After all, it's easier to justify watching a show for 1 hour than it is for 24.

The funny thing is, as I get older, the three things that interest me more than anything else in a TV show or film are the story, the acting and directing. You can have the best special effects in the world, but if you don't have a good story, good acting and good directing to back it up, you don't have a good film or TV show. You have a tech demo. See the film Skyline for an example of this.

But, get a good story, good actors and a good director together, and you will have a good show or film whatever genre it is in, and you don't need a massive budget to do it (although a big budget and good special effects do help).

I could go on, but I am going off topic.. I've watched a couple more episodes, and while I think the Expanse is a better show than Dark Matter (which is so predictable you could almost sit there with a list of Sci Fi cliches ticking them off as they appear on the show), it is still veering toward being a generic Sci Fi show with good special effects, so I'm not too sure if I am going to continue with it. I certainly don't feel the excitement for each new episode that I do for new episodes of, say, Orphan Black, 24, Arrow or Sky's The Tunnel.

General Maximus 23-07-2016 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35850537)
The funny thing is, as I get older......

that's the thing, when I was younger I was always looking for something new and different in each to keep me interested, whether it be a new planet, ship or alien. Now I am the grand old age of 36 I like depth and story and detail and which is why B5 and BSG are my favourite series ever. They both centred around one main location and told amazing stories all focused around a core group of characters. I enjoyed DS9 (preferred TNG and Voyager) but season 7 was a mile ahead of all the previous seasons because it really delved in to and explored such a critical turning point in Federation history.

techguyone 23-07-2016 18:05

B5 was unique in that it had a proper pre-thought out 5 yr arc and the odd foray into individual characters too, it's one of my favourites as well.

bubblegun 23-07-2016 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35850812)
B5 was unique in that it had a proper pre-thought out 5 yr arc and the odd foray into individual characters too, it's one of my favourites as well.

Season 5 of B5 was a bit of a mess, imho. They tried to tie up the story in 4 seasons then got a fifth season when they switched to TNT for season 5. Hence the series finale was actually filmed at the end of season 4.

General Maximus 25-07-2016 21:25

I actually prefer the season 5 finale, it pays homage to the series and is a testament to the story and legacy to everything that has happened. Even though B5 was only 5 seasons I feel like it was 10. So much happened and so much ground was covered and the finale was a salute to good vs evil and showing us that everything worked out for the characters who had sacrificed so much. It truly was a perfect ending to a perfect series. I love the Voyager finale as well as many other series finales but nothing trumps B5.

cimt 26-07-2016 00:13

Gotta remember though that the series finale was actually written as the season 4 finale but then it got renewed for a 5th season so they kept hold of it rather than airing it. It went something like that anyways.

General Maximus 12-11-2016 11:30

season 2 trailer released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFMK9l5cCg

BenMcr 12-11-2016 13:03

The Expanse is also now on Netflix UK

General Maximus 12-11-2016 14:31

excellent, I think Netflix is going to be the most popular tv platform in 3-5 years time. They are being really clever and picking up some really quality series as well as producing their own (e.g. all the Marvel ones).

cupcakes aka dd 14-11-2016 17:07

Coming to Amazon Prime UK December

cupcakes aka dd 22-11-2016 16:32

Can anyone else confirm December 14 UK Amazon Prime air date?

Kabaal 22-11-2016 16:37

Seems a bit strange for it to be going on Prime when it's not long since been added to Netflix, unless it's being removed from there.

BenMcr 22-11-2016 17:03

Especially as it's down on Netflix as a Netflix Original!

Paul 22-11-2016 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35871090)
Can anyone else confirm December 14 UK Amazon Prime air date?

I have seen nothing about this anywhere.

cupcakes aka dd 22-11-2016 21:57

The Verge reported the authors were expanding its viewing arena to Netflix and Amazon.
At the panel, the authors said the show is about to get wider distribution, which should help boost awareness among prospective viewers. It will be coming to Amazon Prime on December 14th. And international audiences will get to stream the show on Netflix in November, just in time to get caught up before season 2 premieres in January 2017.

Kabaal 23-11-2016 07:06

It's quite possible they meant it's coming to Prime in the US and whichever other countries it's not on Netflix.

General Maximus 13-01-2017 17:01

Paul 14-01-2017 02:01

Looking good :D

General Maximus 02-02-2017 23:09

just watched 2x01 and 2x02, loved it. I have been gagging for some proper scifi and this picked up with the same atmosphere and level of tension that season 1 finished with.

adzii_nufc 03-02-2017 03:28

Catching up now. Got a lot to balance now everything is off break. Then again FOX's DC stuff is all over the place at the minute thanks to last minute orders.

adzii_nufc 16-02-2017 16:00

Damn this just gets better as it goes. The back end of season 1 and the start of 2 have been brilliant, the ratings reflect this too. People are so caught up with the Star Trek revival they're missing something capable of going head to head.

Oh and scrolling back. Anything that is exclusive to Netflix in said location is termed a Netflix Original.

It caused confusion with articles that still exist making claims Netflix had bought the show and own the show. That isn't the case. The show is still independently owned.

General Maximus 24-04-2017 19:44

Absolutely superb season and I am struggling to think of a better second season for any other tv series which I have watched before. Even though it was only 13 episodes it feels like so much has happened and it is going to kills me having to wait another 8 months for it.

Paul 24-04-2017 21:27

Yep, its been really good.

I have eagerly awaited it each week, and disappointed its now finished until 2018.

lexio 25-04-2017 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35880492)

I loved this! My friend introduced it to me.

General Maximus 26-04-2017 19:55

It is absolutely superb. This is the kind of thing (along with BSG) that is perfect for me. A deep and serious story you can sink your teeth in to with all the twists, action and everything you would want. It is a shame we have had to wait so long for it (best part of 9 years).

General Maximus 29-04-2017 10:39

pip08456 29-04-2017 10:57

It's going to be a long wait!

General Maximus 29-04-2017 11:14

tell me about it. I am looking through the list of tv series I watch and as good as they and even though some of them end on cliffhangers and you think "omg I want to know what happens" with nearly all of them (including The Walking Dead this year) I can wait till the new season comes around because I appreciate it is all part of the fun and suspense. The two series which are just so flipping amazing at the moment where I literally cannot wait are The Expanse and Game of Thrones. I moan every year with GoT that you just get in to it and the season is over and this year it is going to be even worse. I don't know how I am going to come when it is all over.

BenMcr 29-04-2017 11:33

I wish season 2 would hurry up and get to Netflix UK!

pip08456 29-04-2017 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35896764)
tell me about it. I am looking through the list of tv series I watch and as good as they and even though some of them end on cliffhangers and you think "omg I want to know what happens" with nearly all of them (including The Walking Dead this year) I can wait till the new season comes around because I appreciate it is all part of the fun and suspense. The two series which are just so flipping amazing at the moment where I literally cannot wait are The Expanse and Game of Thrones. I moan every year with GoT that you just get in to it and the season is over and this year it is going to be even worse. I don't know how I am going to come when it is all over.

You don't want me to answer that do you!:D:D:D

Seriously though we seem to have more or less the same tastes (except I ignore zombie crap) so I know how you feel.

Into the Badlands, Agents of Shield, The Flash and Arrow all have season ends next month.

General Maximus 29-04-2017 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35896765)
I wish season 2 would hurry up and get to Netflix UK!

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-e...-to-netflix-uk

I was sure I had seen season 1 on the Syfy channel on Sky

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35896766)
You don't want me to answer that do you!:D:D:D

I don't know how I managed to press m instead of p

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35896766)
Into the Badlands, Agents of Shield, The Flash and Arrow all have season ends next month.

yeah, I haven't watched any of the new/returning series which have started over the last month or so because I have been waiting for everything else to wrap up. Now that some series have already finished I am working my back to stuff like The Originals, Into the Badlands, A Handmaids Tale, Prison Break and Time After Time. I started on Iron First and I am up to 1x09 atm. I am really enjoying it and it is my favourite by far out of the Marvel 4 (JJ, DD and LC).

pip08456 29-04-2017 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35896769)

yeah, I haven't watched any of the new/returning series which have started over the last month or so because I have been waiting for everything else to wrap up. Now that some series have already finished I am working my back to stuff like The Originals, Into the Badlands, A Handmaids Tale, Prison Break and Time After Time. I started on Iron First and I am up to 1x09 atm. I am really enjoying it and it is my favourite by far out of the Marvel 4 (JJ, DD and LC).

I haven't even looked at Iron Fist yet but I'll be giving it a go soon.

General Maximus 29-04-2017 13:35

it is really good. 1x01 tested my patience tbh and I was wondering where it was going. It is the sort of thing they could make an honest trailer out of; "I was just want to talk". 1x05 is by far my favourite ep so far for character development. I was going to save this comment for a new thread I was going to make when I have finished watching the season but the performances are so good that I didn't realise Randy (aka Iron Fist) and Colleen were played by real actors. The kung fu/martial arts they do are that good that I thought they casted professional martial arts guys for the roles and tried to get them to act. When I started looking into who they are (real actors or not) my jaw dropped when I saw both of them were in GoT. Their performances are that good that I didn't even recognise them. I don't want to shatter my fantasy too much so I haven't looked into whether the actors actually do the martial arts themselves or whether they have stunt double type people to fill in for them. Either way, it is done exceptionally well.

Paul 29-04-2017 17:14

I gave up on Iron Fist after two. I hope Defenders will be better.

pip08456 29-04-2017 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35896777)
it is really good. 1x01 tested my patience tbh and I was wondering where it was going. It is the sort of thing they could make an honest trailer out of; "I was just want to talk". 1x05 is by far my favourite ep so far for character development. I was going to save this comment for a new thread I was going to make when I have finished watching the season but the performances are so good that I didn't realise Randy (aka Iron Fist) and Colleen were played by real actors. The kung fu/martial arts they do are that good that I thought they casted professional martial arts guys for the roles and tried to get them to act. When I started looking into who they are (real actors or not) my jaw dropped when I saw both of them were in GoT. Their performances are that good that I didn't even recognise them. I don't want to shatter my fantasy too much so I haven't looked into whether the actors actually do the martial arts themselves or whether they have stunt double type people to fill in for them. Either way, it is done exceptionally well.

I'll give it a go on your recommendation but expect a backlash if it doesn't prove to be as good as you say.:D:D:D

General Maximus 29-04-2017 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35896804)
I gave up on Iron Fist after two. I hope Defenders will be better.

I did the same with Luke Cage and Daredevil and I watched all but the last two eps of Jessica Jones (I can't stand David Tennant) but Iron Fist picks up big time. Depending how good Defenders is and what it references in terms of the character's back story I might go back and watch them. They aren't bad, they are just average for me and just like the series which is the topic of this thread, there is other stuff out there atm which is superb.

adzii_nufc 04-05-2017 02:23

I've just about given up on Marvel TV universe stuff, but love anything from the DCTV universe, Gotham is pretty amazing given I skipped it originally thinking it'd be dull, some of the characters/actors are remarkable, penguin standing above most. Just seem to enjoy watching Flash/Arrow more than I did Luke Cage etc. If I had to pick one more than others for Marvel it'd be Iron Fist.

Is funny because I find myself liking the MCU far more than the DCCU when it comes to big screen releases.

I dropped the Expanse solely to binge watch during the incoming void after finale week runs its course and leaves us waiting till summer for the big hitters to return. Besides that, the episodes I did watch have been pretty awesome, Season 1 ended well and Season 2 just shot off and kept rising.

General Maximus 05-05-2017 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35897393)
I've just about given up on Marvel TV universe stuff, but love anything from the DCTV universe

when I first read that I was "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!" but now I have had time to think about it I agree. Opinions about stories and characters aside, the way I judge how good a series is to step back and ask myself what effort do you make to watch it? I gave up on Jessica Jones, Dare Devil and Luke Cage but I do enjoy Iron First and have got one episode left. In contrast, I watch Supergirl, Arrow and Flash religiously every week and thoroughly enjoy them. It is a shame (or not) that the complete opposite happens in the movie-verse. Marvel movies are beyond amazing and DC is just cack. That being said, I have just noticed the new trailer for The Defenders on youtube and posted a link in my tv series thread and I am defo hyped about it.

The exception to all of the above is Agents of Shield. I would take it over all the DC and Marvel series mentioned above x 100.

adzii_nufc 05-05-2017 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35897597)
when I first read that I was "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!" but now I have had time to think about it I agree. Opinions about stories and characters aside, the way I judge how good a series is to step back and ask myself what effort do you make to watch it? I gave up on Jessica Jones, Dare Devil and Luke Cage but I do enjoy Iron First and have got one episode left. In contrast, I watch Supergirl, Arrow and Flash religiously every week and thoroughly enjoy them. It is a shame (or not) that the complete opposite happens in the movie-verse. Marvel movies are beyond amazing and DC is just cack. That being said, I have just noticed the new trailer for The Defenders on youtube and posted a link in my tv series thread and I am defo hyped about it.

The exception to all of the above is Agents of Shield. I would take it over all the DC and Marvel series mentioned above x 100.

Pretty much that. Marvel are just so far ahead of it now. Guardians, Avengers, Dr Strange, Spiderman, Captain America etc. The only DC movie that matches is the Dark Knight trilogy and that was solely Christopher Nolan doing his thing.

Paul 05-05-2017 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35897597)

Pretty much this, except I dont care for Iron Fist either.

AOS is the only good one, so I'm hoping that gets renewed.

General Maximus 08-05-2017 01:05

http://screenrant.com/agents-shield-...enewal-report/

I am confident :cleader:

General Maximus 04-11-2017 17:52

I minor teaser to whet your appetite. I am definitely ready for season 3 now:

Quote:

The Expanse has some new company. Deadline reports Nadine Nicole has joined season three of the Syfy TV show.

On The Expanse, Nicole will be recur as “a lowly electrochemical tech on a ship that is fierce, intelligent, and driven, but driven by a hidden agenda and a dark secret.” Syfy has not yet set a premiere date for the series’ third season.

cupcakes aka dd 10-11-2017 14:35

Looks like Netflix and Marvel are parting ways. Yet another streaming service. Disney

Paul 10-11-2017 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35924305)
Looks like Netflix and Marvel are parting ways. Yet another streaming service. Disney

What has this to do with The Expanse ?

pip08456 24-02-2018 16:51

The Expanse returns April 12th (11th in US).

https://www.space.com/39804-the-expa...w-trailer.html

techguyone 24-02-2018 17:09

Ah nice, not long then

BenMcr 24-02-2018 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35938295)
The Expanse returns April 12th (11th in US).

https://www.space.com/39804-the-expa...w-trailer.html

Not sure it's confirmed as coming to the UK via Netflix then though.

Not yet seen if we'll get it quickly this time.

General Maximus 24-02-2018 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35938298)

doubt it, it was only a couple of weeks ago that I saw an ad for season 2 so they are way behind

pip08456 24-02-2018 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35938298)
Not sure it's confirmed as coming to the UK via Netflix then though.

This is US timeline.

BenMcr 24-02-2018 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35938302)
This is US timeline.

I appreciate that but for other shows, US timeline is the UK timeline e.g. Star Trek Discovery.

My hope was Netflix was doing the same for The Expanse this time.

pip08456 24-02-2018 18:49

If only that applied to everything.

Paul 24-02-2018 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35938324)

Depending on the source you use, it does ;)

General Maximus 24-02-2018 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35938309)
My hope was Netflix was doing the same for The Expanse this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35938324)

we had this discussion about something else around xmas time (I think we were having a whinge about the BBC again and the quality (or lack of) programming) and I said I don't understand why all prime time US series can't be aired the same day on Sky Atlantic or equivalent. There is just no excuse in this day and age. Ironically I cleared up the tv schedule thread earlier but it should be somebody's job to sit down with that list of all the best shows and make sure they appear on a UK channel the next day. There are still too many series which don't air in the UK until after the entire season has finished in the US. Far too many a time when I read my SFX magazine does it say "US air date: 12th July on NBC UK air date: TBC Channel: TBC". You even get readers writing in begging for info hoping that SFX knows more than they do.

Now here's an idea. Another thing we have been doing since Discovery came out is moaning about streaming services and multiple subscriptions. I was going to say that in this day and age distributors that care will make content available online so they don't have to worry about fans being delayed and international broadcasters picking up the series. Rather than having a zillion streaming services and subscriptions, how long do you think it will take for a company like youtube to come around and host everyone's content for one monthly fee and the studios get paid per viewing just like how Spotify works? It doesn't matter who made it or where it comes from, there is one platform which everything can be accessed from. Surely something like that has got to happen in the future because there is no way things can stay as they are.

General Maximus 06-05-2018 13:24

I love this series and it is defo my fav out of all currently airing series and the 15 or so I watch every week. I know some people (myself included) like stuff like Star Trek where you get a different story and for the most part you know it is going to have a happy ending and all is well. I prefer stuff like this, B5 and GoT where there is one big story which you can really get into and it is so intense.

General Maximus 12-05-2018 18:37

The Expanse had been cancelled https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...it-a-new-home/

I flipping jinxed myself with this because it was only the other i was thinking how goid it is and how lucky we are that the ming mongs at syfy havent cancelled it in favour of stupid reality series. Somebody needs to sack all of them and put a new team in to sort the channel out.

Hopefully Netflix in their infinite wisdom will pick it up.

Edit: I have just been looking at the viewing figures and it really is infuriating. The Expanse is the only syfy channel series with positive year on year growth for viewers and you have got shit like Z Nation, Wynonna Earp and Van Helsing which are all around -30% in YoY viewers and have been renewed. I can only assume that always it is to do with $$$ which the only thing Syfy thinks about and The Expanse is a lot more expensive to make that Z Nation which I imagine costs them 10p.

cupcakes aka dd 12-05-2018 22:56

Think your right Netflix or Amazon will pick it up. Mad not to. Really annoyed. Only half way through the books.

Paul 13-05-2018 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35946645)
you have got shit like Z Nation, Wynonna Earp and Van Helsing

While I appreciate your are unhappy about the Expanse, you dont need to start bad mouthing other good shows. :td:

I happen to enjoy Wynonna Earp and Van Helsing (I've not seen Z Nation).

techguyone 13-05-2018 09:25

There's a lot of noise on twitter/reddit ec with people trying to get other media to pick up The Expanse, sets are being 'deconstructed' starting on Monday though. Hope it doesn't go the way of Farscape/Firefly/SGA/SGU etc

Really not helped that so many people haven't even heard of the series yet because of amazingly marketing, zero merchandise and the weirdest doomed to failure/piracy way of broadcasting to an extremely limited audience.

I'd like to see amazon or Netflix perhaps pick it up but I'm not hopeful.

General Maximus 13-05-2018 17:07

Lets hope somebody at Netflix is keeping an eye on the news over the weekend and goes into the office tomorrow morning and make some phone calls.

pip08456 13-05-2018 18:21

The Expanse is already a Netflix Original minimally in the UK and Australia but possibly in other areas. I doubt it would be much of a stretch for them to take on if they think it's worth it.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80029822

pip08456 14-05-2018 03:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35946677)
There's a lot of noise on twitter/reddit ec with people trying to get other media to pick up The Expanse, sets are being 'deconstructed' starting on Monday though. Hope it doesn't go the way of Farscape/Firefly/SGA/SGU etc

Really not helped that so many people haven't even heard of the series yet because of amazingly marketing, zero merchandise and the weirdest doomed to failure/piracy way of broadcasting to an extremely limited audience.

I'd like to see amazon or Netflix perhaps pick it up but I'm not hopeful.

Allegedly the set deconstruction has been delayed until Wednesday as there may be a meeting between Alcon and Amazon.

techguyone 14-05-2018 07:55

Yes it seems to be a fluid situation - fingers crossed :)

cupcakes aka dd 14-05-2018 17:16

Where did you get your info guys?

Hugh 14-05-2018 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35946790)
Where did you get your info guys?

Reddit

cupcakes aka dd 17-05-2018 00:14

Petition here
https://chn.ge/2Kk6dSX
Save the Expanse on Twitter and Facebook

adzii_nufc 17-05-2018 03:23

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/...expanse_after/

General Maximus 17-05-2018 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35947081)
Petition here
https://chn.ge/2Kk6dSX
Save the Expanse on Twitter and Facebook

thanks for that, I'll pass it around

General Maximus 18-05-2018 20:24

Quote:

After the show's cancellation on the Syfy channel last week, fans of the solar-system-spanning adventure "The Expanse" have rallied, encouraging Amazon and Netflix to pick up the show and garnering support from cast members and celebrities.

The show is fully produced and financed by Alcon Television Group, with Syfy given first-run airing rights in the U.S. American viewers can stream the series on Amazon Prime, whereas Netflix has the show's international rights, according to Deadline.com.

Any of those networks could provide a potential home for Season 4 of the series, so fans have targeted all of them with their campaign — even hiring a plane to fly a "Save the Expanse" banner over Amazon Studios in California for 4 hours yesterday (May 15).
hopefully Amazon or Netflix will pick it up, I will be amazed if they don't. Even G R R Martin (GoT) has taken to twitter to express his support:

Quote:

Just saw online that SyFy has cancelled THE EXPANSE. It's a damn shame, especially for fans of space science fiction... of which I count myself one. It was the best space show on television, far and away. I hope its producers can find another home for it.