Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : Doctor Who : Season 6 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33672247)

Paul 23-11-2010 00:32

Doctor Who : Season 6

This begins in early 2011.

Steven Moffat has revealed that the opening story of [new] season 6 will be a two parter set in the US. It will see the Doctor, Amy and Rory travel back to the 1960s and visit the Oval Office of the White House in Washington DC.

The season will also be split into 2 "halfs", with a cliff hanger at the break point.

Tezcatlipoca 23-11-2010 00:48

Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

I'm looking forward to it :)

Still not so sure about the US-style split, though.

Christmas special soon :D

v0id 23-11-2010 00:58

Doctor Who needs less Rory

Lord Nikon 23-11-2010 01:10

Needs less Matt Smith too

Paul 23-11-2010 12:08

... and more Amy :D

v0id 23-11-2010 23:13

...and River Song :D

ThunderPants73 16-12-2010 21:26

Ponds and Rivers......hmm, strange.

Peter_ 17-12-2010 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35138852)
Ponds and Rivers......hmm, strange.

I find nothing wrong with wanting a dip in the Pond and letting River flow around me.:D

Looking forward to the Christmas Special.

Boaz 23-12-2010 16:23

Lost a lot of interest in it since Davids departure to be honest. I will take a look though.

Stephen 23-12-2010 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boaz (Post 35142190)
Lost a lot of interest in it since Davids departure to be honest. I will take a look though.

So you a just a David fan and not really a Doctor Who fan then?

Can't wait to see the Christmas special and the new series. Matt Smith has been great so far. Reminds me of the 1st & 2nd doctor still.

Mick Fisher 23-12-2010 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boaz (Post 35142190)

Same as me.

Matt Smith doesn't make a decent Doctor for me and I couldn't stand his companion, whatever her name was. :(

Rest assured though I will take a look at the Christmas Special and the new series in the hope things will pick up.

In fairness to Matt Smith, IMO he really hasn't had much to work on. I thought the scripts and storylines of the last series were dire.

Stuart 23-12-2010 19:53

I have to admit, while I did enjoy S5, I have recently bought the DVD boxset of S4. S4 was much better.

The problem with S5 is that while there were some excellent stories (Victory of the Daleks, The Time Of Angels, Flesh and Stone and the final two), a lot were just OK, and a couple felt like fillers (Eleventh Hour, Best Below and the Lodger).

One thing I like about the final episodes is the sequence in which a Cybersuit attempts to convert Amy. That sequence shows that Steven Moffatt understood what makes the Cybermen scary far more than Russell T Davies.

As for Matt Smith, I think he could be a good doctor, if given good stories. There were scenes in a couple of stories that showed Matt can be quite sinister when asked to be. A quality that the Doctor rarely displays, but is a necessary part of the character, IMO.

Karen Gillan is (I think) quite good. I like the feisty assistant role, and the jokey references to her Scottish ancestry. She is quite sexy, but I don't think she is the sexiest assistant (that award goes to either Freema Agyeman or Carey Mulligan IMO).

Rory is quite funny, but I think they could lose him.

Hopefully the team behind Doctor Who have taken a long cold hard look at series 5, and in series 6, worked to remove the bits that didn't work well, and improve those that did. As the production team behind ANY series should.

adzii_nufc 24-12-2010 15:23

Cant wait for tommorow's ep!

Wasnt a massive Doctor Who fan until the revival so for me it went from being used to Ecclestone then finding it hard to adjust to Tennant then I thought there was no way I could adjust again after David's performance but funny enough I took to Matt quicker than I did with Tennant.. Who knows 0_o

Lord Nikon 25-12-2010 03:52

I still don't feel Matt Smith has 'taken ownership' of the role yet. There's nothing about him and his performance that defines him as the Doctor. This is quite worrying when a whole season has taken place.

Stuart 26-12-2010 00:06

Watching the Xmas ep now.

One thing i've noticed so far is that there seem to be a few references to star trek. Nothing massive, just that the bridge of the starship Amy was one was a similar shape to the bridge of the Enterprise in The Wrath Of Kahn. The Viewscreen was the same shape as well. They also referred to the ship as being "Galaxy Class".

Paul 26-12-2010 00:30

The christmas episode was ok, but nothing special IMO.

cimt 26-12-2010 02:10

They're never actually fantastic though, are they? Did anyone watch the trailer? Can't wait for the new series to start.

Lord Nikon 26-12-2010 04:22

Unless there is a significant change in the writing and acting I can see the next season of Dr Who being the last. It used to be the sets were cardboard and the acting made up for it, now the acting is cardboard and the sets make up for it. The story today was bland and the acting mediocre. Thing is, I have yet to see Matt Smith really OWN the role. This today in no way was helped by the storyline. I'm sure Smith is a fine actor, but he just doesn't seem to fit the role, there's something lacking. Moffat has written some EXCELLENT episodes in the past (Empty Child, Girl in the fireplace, Silence in the library) but since being in control of the show - nothing on a par with them.

I've watched episodes of Dr Who featuring all the Actors, despite the show being 10 years old when I was born, I grew up in the Tom Baker era but have seen every episode I can find with earlier Doctors, and all have established themselves in the first episodes of the first season, something Matt Smith has not yet done. (Even Sylvester McCoy battling murderous Bertie Bassets) It could be that the script writers haven't given him the opportunity but it just seems he hasn't / can't settle into the role. We're a season into smith and he just doesn't bring the dynamic to the role. I had the same misgivings about Chris Ecclestone, but by the end of 'Rose' he'd established himself, Same for David Tennant - but by the end of 'Smith and Jones' he'd established himself. I'm a sci fi addict and proud of it, but the shows that don't draw me in seem to get cancelled a lot, I never got into Caprica - cancelled, Stargate Universe bored me - It wasn't just the 'oh we have 8 hours to find food' type storylines, there was no real antagonist (SG1 had the Goa'uld and the Ori, Atlantis had the Wraith), nothing that could draw the audience into supporting the main cast for - show cancelled. I'm getting those same 'meh' feelings for Doctor Who, and if they can't get the show moving I can see viewing figures dropping and the BBC deciding it's not cost effective to keep running.

Jameseh 26-12-2010 05:43

I can see what you mean about Matt Smith, I couldn't sit through today's special and some episodes of S5 were disappointing but with the large american following it seems to have and all the revenue they get from merchandise, I really can't see them cancelling it any time soon.

Stephen 26-12-2010 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35143300)
Watching the Xmas ep now.

One thing i've noticed so far is that there seem to be a few references to star trek. Nothing massive, just that the bridge of the starship Amy was one was a similar shape to the bridge of the Enterprise in The Wrath Of Kahn. The Viewscreen was the same shape as well. They also referred to the ship as being "Galaxy Class".

Not only that but the bridge was White and had lots of lens flair like the recent Trek movie.

Need to give a second viewing but I really enjoyed the Christmas ep this year.

Blackened 26-12-2010 13:22

We were all looking forward to the episode all day and settled to watch it late evening - our V+ box ended the recording before the episode had finished. We're all pretty big DW fans in this house but none of us could be bothered checking iPlayer to watch the last few minutes. Very dull for a special. I think (unlike DT) Smith needs strong supporting character roles and those were clearly lacking here.

Mick Fisher 26-12-2010 15:26

Just as disappointing as the previous series.

On the strength of the Xmas special and the last series I think I have come to the end of my patience with this show.

It seems to me to be on a par with Merlin, complete and utter rubbish. :(

LSainsbury 29-12-2010 10:55

Watched the Christmas episode last night - I'd give it 2/10 at a push. Didn't like it at all.

martyh 29-12-2010 11:40

compared to other christmas specials this was crap ,the story line was rubbish.I don't mind Matt Smith he will grow on me the same as other doctors have as long as the story lines improve ,hopefully this is not a fore taste of things to come in the next season

Pierre 04-01-2011 12:20

I only got half way through it and turned it off........it was just boring, that's all.

Matt Smith is not a good doctor.

The shine has rubbed of Karen Gillan, christ give me back Catherine Tate any day of the week.

I agree that the good doctor is doomed unless something drastic happens.

Dave9946 29-01-2011 09:40

I dont think any of the xmas specials have been anything like as good as episodes from the series. But is that not the point?. They are xmas specials they dont seem to be made like they are serious important episodes that are an important part of a continual series storyline etc. I dont think of them as anything other that the "light\fun" eps that you seem to get 1 a series for.

Lew 15-03-2011 14:52

Don't forget that there's a mini Doctor Who adventure in this Friday's Comic Relief.

And as part of the build-up you can watch the first part of the original Comic Relief special, Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death on the BBC's Doctor Who site. Part 1 is up now, with part 2 to be added tomorrow.

BenMcr 15-03-2011 15:25

Or watch the whole thing on Comic Relief's official YouTube page here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

;)

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Also Time Crash is online too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I76p1cZbq4

Stephen 15-03-2011 16:22

Its looking like an Easter weekend launch again this year although the BBC still haven't confirmed a date.

However it starts in the USA on the 23rd April so we will be a couple of weeks before that.

BenMcr 15-03-2011 16:24

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...iere-date.html

Quote:

The next series of Doctor Who will premiere over the Easter weekend.

The first half of the show's sixth run will begin on BBC One on Saturday 23 April, according to Doctor Who Magazine.

Paul 25-03-2011 23:06

Prequel ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_l0iqkoTY

BenMcr 25-03-2011 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35199598)

It's on the BBC site in better quality http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00fxf06

BenMcr 30-03-2011 17:21

60 second trailer is now online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIsQ25Krq

Stephen 30-03-2011 17:35

Here is another link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIsQ...layer_embedded

BenMcr 30-03-2011 17:45

Thanks, cut too much off the end. Ooops

Chris 30-03-2011 18:33

Time to head over to one of the uber-nerd fan forums and have a laugh at them dissecting it frame by frame ... :D

Tezcatlipoca 30-03-2011 19:31

Oooh... can't wait! :D

martyh 30-03-2011 19:43

:hyper:looks great, cant wait for the season to start makes me feel like i'm 7 again :hyper:

LSainsbury 30-03-2011 19:53

Anybody know when it's being shown??

Stephen 30-03-2011 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35202461)
Anybody know when it's being shown??

Easter weekend.

LSainsbury 30-03-2011 20:12

So there's not another 12 episode season?

BenMcr 30-03-2011 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35202480)

They are having a mid season break this year

Paul 30-03-2011 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35202480)

Its 13 eps, but split into two sessions.

adzii_nufc 31-03-2011 04:27

Makes it a lot better in my opinion.

You will have a mid-season finale on a cliffhanger and the Season finale two-parter to watch :)

Although I dont have any idea why they do it? Top Gear has the same format.

I assume it's to spread it out or something?

Stephen 31-03-2011 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35202656)

You will have a mid-season finale on a cliffhanger and the Season finale two-parter to watch :)

Not sure why but it's been mentioned that it's so Torchwood can be on in the summer or that Moffat can work on Sherlock Holmes.

Chris 31-03-2011 12:12

A combination of things no doubt, but it also has the benefit of exposing it to a larger audience. It was always sad to see the last 3-4 eps attracting lower ratings due to them being screened in the summer.

Paul 31-03-2011 13:24

In case anyone is unclear - its split as first 7 eps, then last 6.

Stephen 31-03-2011 13:44

Did anyone spot a few things in the trailer?

Specifically the shot of the tenth Doctors console room? Rory and Amy were also there with a big ball of energy.

BenMcr 31-03-2011 14:42

Digital Spy have a handy 'scene by scene' step through of the new trailer http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...-by-scene.html

watzizname 01-04-2011 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35202656)

Because the American TV industry is geared that way, and the BBC will do whatever is required to give their shows the maximum exposure over there?

Given how the complete series (already broadcast in the UK) would be available on the net before the show's even returned from the notorious mid season break, it would potentially jeopardize the viewing figures, level of success and as such any revenue streams.

Although I've never watched BBC America (Maybe they run UK shows from start to finish?) i would guess the BBC would love to sell their programs to as many networks as they can, so will bend over backwards to make them as US friendly as possible.

Which of course means, at some point, we'll probably have to suffer another American doctor :(

Regarding the upcoming series..
Spoiler: 
I'm guessing that President Kennedy is in fact "the best man I've ever known" that River ends up serving time in the Stormcage for killing, but I'm really really hoping that it's not the main theme for this series, as i just don't care enough about JFK, and also think that it'll be near impossible to top Red Dwarf's version of what really happened that day ;)

Lew 18-04-2011 14:48

Don't forget it starts this Saturday, folks!

Tezcatlipoca 23-04-2011 17:17

Reminder!

The new series of Doctor Who starts this evening at 6pm, on BBC1 and BBC1 HD :)

Chris 23-04-2011 17:30

Oh stop it! I'm so excited right now I wish I had my own TARDIS so I could skip the next half hour. :hyper: :D

adzii_nufc 23-04-2011 17:31

29 minutes!

joglynne 23-04-2011 17:59

I can't decide whether to watch it or record it and then watch both parts back to back. I know I will enjoy it but having to wait a week to see what happens is the pits. :(

adzii_nufc 23-04-2011 18:50

Decent build up to the second episode, Pretty good start to the series imo.

Tezcatlipoca 23-04-2011 18:53

Good ep.

Also nice to see SF/cult TV regulars W. Morgan Sheppard & Mark Sheppard in the same show.

Stuart 23-04-2011 18:59

Agreed..

Zing 23-04-2011 19:01

The CBBC tribute should have been on after the show on BBC HD instead imo
Available here if you missed it http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...sabeth_Sladen/

Good episode look forward to next week

Tezcatlipoca 23-04-2011 19:15

So...

- The control room thing in the tunnels reminded me of the ship in "The Lodger". Was it the same?

- How can Matt Smith's Doctor truly die? Wouldn't that mean that Matt Smith would have to be the last one, & so mean that the Doctor couldn't regenerate again if Smith left the show? Must be a way around it...

- The Silence... can someone remind me which ep they/it were in in the previous series?

Zing 23-04-2011 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35220463)
So...

- The control room thing in the tunnels reminded me of the ship in "The Lodger". Was it the same?

- How can Matt Smith's Doctor truly die? Wouldn't that mean that Matt Smith would have to be the last one, & so mean that the Doctor couldn't regenerate again if Smith left the show? Must be a way around it...

- The Silence... can someone remind me which ep they/it were in in the previous series?

they can do anything they want can't they lol

Chris 23-04-2011 20:09

- Yes, it was the timeship control room from "The Lodger", which guest-starred James Corden. Who is also, as it happens, appearing at some point in this series. :scratch:

carlwaring 23-04-2011 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35220463)

Yes. Why? We don't know yet,

Quote:

There is. Wibbly, wobbly... and time can be re-written.

Quote:

Mentioned throughout... "Silence will fall." BTW, point of order. They're actually called the Silents.

adzii_nufc 24-04-2011 13:45

I thought there was more to the mysterious Delaware guy but just turned out to be the Ex-FBI agent

Although do keep an eye on Amy's Pregnancy, May turn out to be interesting.

watzizname 24-04-2011 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring
There is. Wibbly, wobbly... and time can be re-written.

Yep, Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey.. and now Bumpy Wumpy. :wtf: Even Matt Smith didn't look too comfortable saying it.

Anyways, despite the whole "Most powerful" this and that ego stroking the Americans received, and the unlikely usage of the word Gasoline instead of Petrol, I rather enjoyed it.

Was a real treat to see both William and Mark Sheppard in last nights episode, as per usual, they delivered the goods.

I like that we've come into this story more toward the mid point, and that there seems to be an awful lot of misdirection in play.

Who are the real victims, and who are the real villains? I doubt it's anything like as obvious as we're being led to believe.

Looking forward to the next episode :)

martyh 24-04-2011 19:54

very good first episode i believe that River Song is the astronaut that kills the future doctor and possibly Amy's child

Lord Nikon 24-04-2011 23:48

Some thoughts

Spoiler: 

Karen Gillan seems to be the astronaut, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl they can hear is Amy's future daughter, I think River Song is a timelord in cloak as Tennant's doctor was in 'Family of Blood' possibly Romanadvortrelundar, Omega will probably be returning in this season which could mean a restart of the timelords. Oh and I think this is to be a Dalek free season.

Paul 25-04-2011 00:22

I dont think you need to hide your thoughts :)

Stuart 25-04-2011 00:32

Steven Moffat has already said they will not include the Daleks unless they come up with a good reason to do so, and a story to back it up.

Thinking about it, Russell T Davis used them in every series. In the original, over the entire 25 years, they were apparently used in only about 11 stories. I think they were all the more scary because they were not used that often.

Lord Nikon 25-04-2011 02:13

The first part of my post is in the leader for the next episode, so I didn't want to spoil it for anyone waiting for the ep to find out.

Pierre 26-04-2011 11:10

Good episode for this Doctor, possibly the best so far.

Maybe he may finally grow into the role during his second season.

Didn't like the innuendo between song and the Dr......."I'm a bit of a screamer" ooer......

Need to explain to me how Amy is pregnant, isn't Rory made of plastic???????? or did I miss something.

dilli-theclaw 26-04-2011 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35222394)
Need to explain to me how Amy is pregnant, isn't Rory made of plastic???????? or did I miss something.

That is true - but she didn't say it was his.

Chris 26-04-2011 11:19

Rory isn't made of plastic ... history was re-booted from the ground up at the end of the last series, so the events that killed him didn't happen ... or something timey-wimey like that. :spin:

Damien 26-04-2011 11:51

I hope they don't bring the Daleks back for a good while. I find them rather tiresome, they keep getting defeated forever, Then somehow survive in the space between existence (or some equally absurd excuse) and come back again and again. It loses the appeal and the drama when the big bad reveal is the bloody Daleks or Cybermen again. They should use them rarely, and by that I mean every few seasons.

I also find them boring. Much prefer The Master as that's a much more interesting character and danger.

Stephen 26-04-2011 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35222445)
I hope they don't bring the Daleks back for a good while. I find them rather tiresome, they keep getting defeated forever, Then somehow survive in the space between existence (or some equally absurd excuse) and come back again and again. It loses the appeal and the drama when the big bad reveal is the bloody Daleks or Cybermen again. They should use them rarely, and by that I mean every few seasons.

I also find them boring. Much prefer The Master as that's a much more interesting character and danger.

I think Moffat already stated that the daleks will not be in this season. However the Cybermen will.

watzizname 26-04-2011 22:01

And if any of the rumors i keep coming across are true, then so is Omega?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8FK8SzrT4

Stuart 30-04-2011 18:54

Another good episode..

I love the way the little girl regenerated at the end.

carlwaring 30-04-2011 20:16

Agreed, Stuart.

Except that I don't really like my head exploding after each episode. :D

I like to have to think, but not that much ;)

Hom3r 01-05-2011 00:04

My thoughts on tonights episode

It just hit me who the little girl is.

I think the little girl is the daughter of Amy and the Doctor, and they cannot remember anything due to the Silence.

She is River Song, and thats why she knows all about him.

One of the weird theories on the web.

Both Amy and River are pregnant carrying each other (Time travel wibbly wobby stuff)

Paul 01-05-2011 01:22

No need for spoiler tags people, the episode has aired.

The girl is [apparently] a timelord as she can regenerate. She may be the Doctors daughter, she may also be Amys daughter, but IMO that seems unlikely, partly because its just too obvious, and I would hope the writers were a little more devious.

It seems very unlikely River Song is the Doctors Daughter (or I would hope not, given the kiss she gave the doctor). I thought it was established she was his wife at some point, but Im not sure if this was just speculation.

watzizname 01-05-2011 02:53

Might it be that River is Amy and Rory's Daughter, and the little girl is in fact River and the Doctor's Daughter?

The scene near the end, where River kisses the doctor expecting him to reciprocate, and he is surprised by the sudden development in their relationship, she seems more than a little surprised by his standoffish behavior.

Might this indicate that her and the Doctor did get close (even if we didn't see it happen) at some point in this episode, but events involving the Silence had somehow wiped the memory from his mind?

If they did get close enough, and got it on together, and (If) River is now pregnant, this could go some way to explaining who the little girl is, and why she would be able to regenerate.

The photo of Amy holding the baby, put on display, and surrounded by other photo's of the little girl would also make sense, if Amy is the little girls grandmother.

Sounds a little Peter Pan like, but River could be a future companion of the Doctor's, and someone he falls in love with, sometime after Amy and Rory have left to have their baby?

It's possible that for reasons known only to himself, the Doctor kept an eye on Amy and Rory after they left, so would explain how he knew all about young River, when she first meets him.

LSainsbury 01-05-2011 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35226252)
No need for spoiler tags people, the episode has aired.

Great. A master stroke there. What about the people who havn't watched it yet!! :mad:

Perhaps spoiler tags for a week after it's aired?

Zing 01-05-2011 09:37

I just do not read the thread till ive seen the latest episode

Chris 01-05-2011 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35226285)
Great. A master stroke there. What about the people who havn't watched it yet!! :mad:

Perhaps spoiler tags for a week after it's aired?

The solution would be to do what Zing does (me as well) and just don't read it until after you've watched the episode.

Spoilers are elements of the story revealed in advance of the story being aired. After the story has aired, they aren't spoilers, even if you personally didn't catch the broadcast.

Zing 01-05-2011 09:42

We did not see who the girl regenerates into.

I was under the impression a timelord only becomes a timelord after he/she gazers into the eye of something or other?

Is it possible the child isnt a child and could regenerate into an adult? possibly Omega?

Will most likely have to wait till the second half of the series to find out for sure lol

just for interests sake I watched the Sarah Jane adventures episode with Matt Smiths Doctor and he was asked how many time can he regenerate and he said 507( I think it was 500 and something)

carlwaring 01-05-2011 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35226252)
....but Im not sure if this was just speculation.

Everything is speculation right now; until the reveal :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zing (Post 35226297)
just for interests sake I watched the Sarah Jane adventures episode with Matt Smiths Doctor and he was asked how many time can he regenerate and he said 507( I think it was 500 and something)

Yeah. Of course the actual number is 13. We think that was just an random exaggeration.

danielf 01-05-2011 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzizname (Post 35226260)

Might this indicate that her and the Doctor did get close (even if we didn't see it happen) at some point in this episode, but events involving the Silence had somehow wiped the memory from his mind?

Imagine having sex while watching the Silence. I don't think so... :erm:

Zing 01-05-2011 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35226304)
Everything is speculation right now; until the reveal :)

Yeah. Of course the actual number is 13. We think that was just an random exaggeration.

I thought that all changed in older episodes for the masters sake?

Info here and RTD's view on it http://www.starpulse.com/news/Emily_...octor_really_r

carlwaring 01-05-2011 11:03

Quote:

According to the former "Doctor Who" showrunner, he came up the number because he thought it was funny: "I could not resist! I was hooting. It'll never stick, though. That 13 lives is stuck in people's heads. It is, isn't it funny? Yet they only said 13 once or twice".
He was, apparently, having a laugh so it's still open to discussion :)

And yes, 12 regens is 13 people ;)

Zing 01-05-2011 11:07

Im sure when the time comes the Doctor will find something to reboot his anyway

carlwaring 01-05-2011 11:09

Indeed. It's going to be interesting :)

Stephen 01-05-2011 11:27

I don't think the girl will end up being River, or even the Doctor's daughter. I think due to the episode it could well be Amy's daughter. However with all the timey whimey stuff, it could be anyone lol.

River and the Doctor have definitely been lovers in her past at some point.

The regen thing is odd, but if it turns out to be Amy's daughter then I guess there could have been some interference from the time vortex and given her some time lord abilities.

Moffat has been the best thing about new who since it returned. Am looking forward to next week. Pirates and Lily Cole :)

Hom3r 01-05-2011 11:58

Remind me again who/what is Omega?

Zing 01-05-2011 12:09

The first ever timelord. There have been loads of possible clues

Stephen 01-05-2011 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35226411)
Remind me again who/what is Omega?

He was the first time lord and the Doctor seemed to know him.

Paul 01-05-2011 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35226285)

Simple. Dont read it.

Once an episode has aired, spoilers are not needed.

martyh 01-05-2011 15:02

I've just watched it and i've now got a "time head" :spin:

River song is his wife i believe (or future wife) that was eluded to in the last series the one with the angels .But for some reason i can't get "the doctors daughter " out of my head ,i am starting to think that there is a link there somewhere and the writers are going to use this series to develop that character either for a spin off or addition to Dr Who or Torchwood

Lord Nikon 02-05-2011 03:00

Well, we definitely saw a regeneration. Hmm, Couple of ideas come to mind, and a couple of questions.

1) Timelady - Romanadvortrelundar? But if it's a Timelady, why couldn't he hear her? Ecclestone / Tennant's doctors said they were the last one left, if there were any others they would know / be able to hear them in their mind.

2) A new Timelord? Would require Timelord ancestry, so, The Master's Daughter? The Doctor's? If so, then who with? River? Amy?

The Doctor is half human, so would the daughter become 1/4 TimeLord or are they dominant?

Will Matt Smith ever take ownership of the role?
Will the writers be able to create a personality for him that doesn't feel like it's been copied from earlier actors on cheap audio tapes that were then stored next to a magnet for 10 years?

Some of the information may come out on the 14th May episode - The Doctor's Wife.

watzizname 02-05-2011 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Nikon (Post 35226968)
Well, we definitely saw a regeneration. Hmm, Couple of ideas come to mind, and a couple of questions.

1) Timelady - Romanadvortrelundar? But if it's a Timelady, why couldn't he hear her? Ecclestone / Tennant's doctors said they were the last one left, if there were any others they would know / be able to hear them in their mind.

Well the Silent's might have installed a perception filter into the space suit, as they seemed to be very big on the whole perception filter thing?

Also, given how the Gallifreyan lady who kept communicating with Wilfred in the End of Time episodes, seemed to be here a while before the Rassilon led Time Lords made their connection and arrived, i would have to guess that there are other (as yet) undetected Time Lords already free of the Time Lock?

Yes, i know she was there with Rassilon, holding her head in shame, was probably just an image projection, and they are Time Lords, but i always got the impression that the version speaking to Wilf, was from a future timeline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
2) A new Timelord? Would require Timelord ancestry, so, The Master's Daughter? The Doctor's? If so, then who with? River? Amy?

I've already said who i think her parents are, but it is of course possible that the Silents messed around with Amy at some point, and have used the doctors DNA to affect change in / create her pregnancy, or she could of course be Jenny.

Quote:

The Doctor is half human, so would the daughter become 1/4 TimeLord or are they dominant?

Is he half human, i thought that was just the 1996 TV movie? a little like him being completely human in the Peter Cushing 'Dr Who' films..

Quote:

Will Matt Smith ever take ownership of the role?
Will the writers be able to create a personality for him that doesn't feel like it's been copied from earlier actors on cheap audio tapes that were then stored next to a magnet for 10 years?

I think he's completely taken control of the role, and like others before him, will continue to develop the character as the series progresses.

I think that most of the previous actors have borrowed aspects from those who came before, it helps with continuity, and is to some degree expected by the fans.

Quote:

Some of the information may come out on the 14th May episode - The Doctor's Wife.

That would be nice, but like The Next Doctor (Christmas special) the title sounds deliberately misleading.

Steven Moffat wrote the first 2, and the last 2 episodes, so what we get between now and then could just be filler, with a healthy dollop of clues.

I haven't chased up any of the upcoming episode titles, so if I'm way off, please feel free to put me straight.

beeman 02-05-2011 07:42

Quote:

According to the former "Doctor Who" showrunner, he came up the number because he thought it was funny: "I could not resist! I was hooting. It'll never stick, though. That 13 lives is stuck in people's heads. It is, isn't it funny? Yet they only said 13 once or twice".
It was a bit more then once or twice. There was an entire series baised on the premise of the Doctors limited lives, involving his 13th incarnation. i suggest this runner should watch the series "trial of a timelord".

However is i remember rightly there is a way they can bypass the 13 lives limit thanks to RTD's pointless killing off of all the timelords before the first epp of the new era. From memory the 12 regeneration limit was neer a physical limit on a timelords body but in fact a limit imposed on timelords by the council. no more timelords mean no more council and so no limit imposed.