Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Tivo Hidden features that suck! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685984)

ase001 29-02-2012 20:01

Tivo Hidden features that suck!

If a channel is removed from the EPG, the programmes previously recorded from that channel will not play. When you try to play the recording, a message pops saying you can’t watch this program since the channel no longer exists or words to that effect! Wonderful pile of ..........:dunce:

Wicked_and_Crazy 29-02-2012 20:02

Re: Tivo Hidden features that suck!!!

That was well tested!!

mhatter67 29-02-2012 20:22

The interesting issue I had the other day was I could not watch any of my TiVo recordings because I assume they could not be verified! It seemed to be down to the right hand side of the 2 green lights not being on, rebooted problem solved:)

Derekb108 29-02-2012 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ase001 (Post 35390704)
If a channel is removed from the EPG, the programmes previously recorded from that channel will not play. When you try to play the recording, a message pops saying you can’t watch this program since the channel no longer exists or words to that effect! Wonderful pile of ..........:dunce:

this has nothing to do with Tivo, this has to do with there iptv system virgin now has in place all it does is verifies that you are subscribed to the channel if yes will play recording if not you get the messgage your not subscribe to that channel it was skys requirement doing for this requrement cause you could order the movie channels record alot of movies and then cancel after 30 days and still watch them not anymore

Skie 29-02-2012 20:38

Heh, so if they have a major channel re-org like they are due it will be entertaining.

JayAy 29-02-2012 21:43

Excluding Sky, I think you can still play the recordings by pressing OK rather than Play or the other way around. This came up some while ago when there were widespread network issues - it was before the latest firmware updates, so not sure if this will still work.

Digital Fanatic 01-03-2012 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ase001 (Post 35390704)

It's the same on V+HD for Sky channels that you no longer have in your subscription/or removed. On Sky it's ALL channels that are affected.

---------- Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35390728)
Heh, so if they have a major channel re-org like they are due it will be entertaining.

Channels have unique identifiers, so EPG shuffles have no affect on recording or series links.

neilo 01-03-2012 07:20

Is this another chance for me to ask why can I not change the recording options presets anymore? The last big update took the option away. Bit of a joke really.

Also why can you only start a recording from the start or last viewed? Why can't I start a recording an hour in like you can do on Sky, or even on the old V+ (unless it was still recording which was also a bit silly) I'm getting fed up of fast forwarding to the kick off each time I record a football match, I just want to go straight there!!!!

Ooh, it's these little things that just really tick me off!

andy_m 01-03-2012 10:30

When fast forwarding, the ->| button will skip to the next green vertical line on the progress bar (normally every 15 minutes), which will at least get you to kick off a bit quicker.

ase001 06-03-2012 20:37

Do you know that when your internet goes down (probably someone will:o:), you can't watch recorded programs. How ridicules is that, if I released software as poor as this my company would get sued!!

The more I get to know the Tivo the more I think the software was developed by a bunch of Monkeys in a Zoo?
:monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

andy_m 06-03-2012 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ase001 (Post 35394214)
Do you know that when your internet goes down (probably someone will:o:), you can't watch recorded programs. How ridicules is that, if I released software as poor as this my company would get sued!!

The more I get to know the Tivo the more I think the software was developed by a bunch of Monkeys in a Zoo?
:monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

This isn't true.

(The not being able to view shows when the network is down bit-I've no idea who wrote the software).

Tim Deegan 06-03-2012 21:10

It appears that this isn't just the Tivo. I was told by Sky that when my contract ended (when I changed to the Tivo) that I would no longer be able to view anything that I had recorded on the Sky box.

carlwaring 06-03-2012 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilo (Post 35390876)
Is this another chance for me to ask why can I not change the recording options presets anymore?

Anymore? :confused:

Quote:

The last big update took the option away.
Again, huh? The last big update added default padding (-1/+4) to the already-available preset options. So I don't know what you mean. :confused:

ase001 07-03-2012 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35394234)
This isn't true.

(The not being able to view shows when the network is down bit-I've no idea who wrote the software).

This is true, the internet was down yesterday (ST4/ST5 post codes) and the Tivo box said it couldn't play any recorded material because it had no internet access!

Lew 07-03-2012 09:47

It can play recordings when the network's down. You just have to press play rather than OK.

andy_m 07-03-2012 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35394436)
It can play recordings when the network's down. You just have to press play rather than OK.

THIS is true.

Sirius 07-03-2012 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35394847)
THIS is true.

Seconded :tu:

andy_m 07-03-2012 16:56

Re: Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Having read this thread it does appear that most people are griping about things outside Virgin's control-and certainly not Tivo specific-or because they don't fully understand how to use the box. Can I suggest this thread is renamed "I've got a problem with Tivo, before I whinge about it tell me where I'm going wrong".

Dash: CF noob 07-03-2012 17:00

How abouts a Sticky: How to TIVO.

alwaysabear 07-03-2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob (Post 35394915)
How abouts a Sticky: How to TIVO.

What an excellent idea, there are many long standing members who would I am sure be able to provide tips and hints to people new to TiVo.:tu:

neilo 11-03-2012 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35390963)
when fast forwarding, the ->| button will skip to the next green vertical line on the progress bar (normally every 15 minutes), which will at least get you to kick off a bit quicker.

why has no one mentioned this before????!!!!!

Hugh 11-03-2012 00:53

It is in the TiVo Guide - page 10.

neilo 11-03-2012 13:52

I may have to reconsider my 'never read the manual' approach. But I'm sticking to my 'never asking for directions when driving' - they can't take that away from me.

Hugh 11-03-2012 16:21

:gpoint::rofl:

Tim Deegan 12-03-2012 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilo (Post 35397546)
I may have to reconsider my 'never read the manual' approach. But I'm sticking to my 'never asking for directions when driving' - they can't take that away from me.

I find this forum far better than reading instructions :D

denphone 12-03-2012 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35397901)
I find this forum far better than reading instructions :D

Yes me too as when l get confused :confused: about something all l have to do is turn to the CF experts and the problem is solved and they come free of charge as well.:)

ase001 14-03-2012 13:18

Perhaps I am too negative, but honestly it is not the most intuitively system to use and it's certainly more restrictive that a traditional system. Features you expect that are missing and some are fundamental. It’s full of bug’s too which I think are covered by other threads and what gets me the most is I have to pay extra for it!

If you want an example of how it should have been implemented, take look at MediaPortal which runs on a PC and that is totally free or for Linux fans XBMC?

Digital Fanatic 14-03-2012 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ase001 (Post 35399140)
Perhaps I am too negative, but honestly it is not the most intuitively system to use and it's certainly more restrictive that a traditional system. Features you expect that are missing and some are fundamental. It’s full of bug’s too which I think are covered by other threads and what gets me the most is I have to pay extra for it!

If you want an example of how it should have been implemented, take look at MediaPortal which runs on a PC and that is totally free or for Linux fans XBMC?

TiVo is the original PVR, anything else is just imitation ;)

denphone 14-03-2012 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35399193)

l will second that.:tu:

Tim Deegan 14-03-2012 14:29

Quote:

Agreed, there are a few annoying missing features. But then I only miss them because I had them on Sky. However these are far outweighed by features that the Sky box doesn't have.

Also the Tivo can be updated, so these small missing features can be added in the future. With the Sky box they can't.

I personally haven't come across any bugs on the Tivo yet. Are you sure they aren't caused by a jitter on the signal? I have just been on the phone to VM about another issue, and was told that anyone who experiences jitter in their signal should report it, because 9 times out of 10 it can be sorted easily once reported.

carlwaring 14-03-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35399193)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35399197)
l will second that.:tu:

Thirded :D

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Quote:

Perhaps I am too negative, but honestly it is not the most intuitively system to use...

Which is more intuitive...pressing 'record' to set a series link, or pressing the 'yellow' button? I'd say the former, as Tivo does it and not the latter, which is how V+ did it.

Quote:

...and it's certainly more restrictive that a traditional system.
Nope. Not seeing it.

Quote:

Features you expect that are missing and some are fundamental.
Such as? (Other than reminders and red button as already discussed.)

Quote:

It’s full of bug’s too..
There may be some, but it's not "full" of them at all.

Quote:

Right. Free apart from the £200 or so needed to run it :rolleyes: And do they do Wishlists and Suggestions? If not, then you can't compare them.

Itshim 14-03-2012 15:48

Carl,
Do you have an interest in Tivo`s success you seem to get very stressed,when people are not impressed by it?
yes it works but it is not the "great gadget" some posters seem to make it out to be.

Perhaps if it was NOT Hyped so much then the moaners ( I include myself in them) Would not get so up tight when it is posted as the greatest thing since the invention of TV.
I have to say( off subject but to show I am not put off by new things ) I love my kindle now that is a field leader.

Tim Deegan 14-03-2012 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35399265)
Carl,
Do you have an interest in Tivo`s success you seem to get very stressed,when people are not impressed by it?
yes it works but it is not the "great gadget" some posters seem to make it out to be.

Perhaps if it was NOT Hyped so much then the moaners ( I include myself in them) Would not get so up tight when it is posted as the greatest thing since the invention of TV.
I have to say( off subject but to show I am not put off by new things ) I love my kindle now that is a field leader.

I don't have any interest in Tivo's success at all. Until recently I was using a sky+HD box, and now I am using a Tivo. So I can do a direct comparrison. And as I have said previously, there are a few smaller features that need to included in future updates (which are done on line with the Tivo, but not with the sky box). But in general the Tivo is miles ahead.

And that is an unbiased opinion.

carlwaring 14-03-2012 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35399265)
Carl, Do you have an interest in Tivo`s success

Yes; in as much as I love the product and don't want to see it disappear anytime soon.

Quote:

you seem to get very stressed,when people are not impressed by it?
Not sure how you can tell my stress level through reading words on a screen :confused:

People make points and counter-points on a discussion forum. That's how they work!

Quote:

Yes it is. 400k currently in use says it is.

Quote:

Perhaps if it was NOT Hyped so much..
Huh? Show me any marketing campaign and/or tech product that isn't "hyped". Apple, maybe? :rolleyes:

Quote:

.. it is posted as the greatest thing since the invention of TV.
IMO (and I can and do only ever speak for myself) it is exactly that.

Quote:

Yeah. And that wasn't hyped at all was it? :rolleyes:

Itshim 15-03-2012 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35399510)
Yes; in as much as I love the product and don't want to see it disappear anytime soon.

Not sure how you can tell my stress level through reading words on a screen :confused:

People make points and counter-points on a discussion forum. That's how they work!

Out of a total of How
Yes it is. 400k currently in use says it is.

Huh? Show me any marketing campaign and/or tech product that isn't "hyped". Apple, maybe? :rolleyes:

IMO (and I can and do only ever speak for myself) it is exactly that.

Yeah. And that wasn't hyped at all was it? :rolleyes:

Out of a total of how many households ? its peanuts

Yes all sellers Hype there product - BUT users, that will not admit its short comings - sad & that goes for I pad yes there is one in our house so I have seen it & used it. What is that really about.but back to Tivo

Kindle of cause it was /is hyped & I have to say I did not want it. I can list its faults if any one wants to know.However it is different( other E books are available & I guess do the same job ) & I was given 15,000 free books
( no that is not a mistype) My point is new "teccy" things do not worry me. A point earlier in a post.

Greatest invention. Sorry its a PVR with a few good points & some really poor apps. If people were realistic about it than perhaps a few moaners would shut up. I got it with my eyes open, saving money in the process.
When my two main complaints are finally addressed I will move it back to being my main PVR until then thank goodness for V+ :rolleyes:

Digital Fanatic 15-03-2012 10:18

In the amount of time it's been available, it's flying out and won't take long to eclipse V+HD households.

Tim Deegan 15-03-2012 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35399846)
Out of a total of how many households ? its peanuts

Yes all sellers Hype there product - BUT users, that will not admit its short comings - sad & that goes for I pad yes there is one in our house so I have seen it & used it. What is that really about.but back to Tivo

Kindle of cause it was /is hyped & I have to say I did not want it. I can list its faults if any one wants to know.However it is different( other E books are available & I guess do the same job ) & I was given 15,000 free books
( no that is not a mistype) My point is new "teccy" things do not worry me. A point earlier in a post.

Greatest invention. Sorry its a PVR with a few good points & some really poor apps. If people were realistic about it than perhaps a few moaners would shut up. I got it with my eyes open, saving money in the process.
When my two main complaints are finally addressed I will move it back to being my main PVR until then thank goodness for V+ :rolleyes:

And what exactly are your two main complaints??

carlwaring 15-03-2012 10:26

Quote:

Out of a total of how many households ? its peanuts.

It "sold" 200k in the first three months and 200k in the second. For cable, that's some going!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35399890)
In the amount of time it's been available, it's flying out and won't take long to eclipse V+HD households.

^ What he said :)

Quote:

Yes all sellers Hype there product - BUT users, that will not admit its short comings....

Assuming that's aimed at me (because it's me you're replying to) please link to a post where I have ever said Tivo is perfect and doesn't have any problems? :rolleyes:

Quote:

Greatest invention. Sorry its a PVR with a few good points & some really poor apps.
Personally, though, I couldn't give a damn about apps. The original Tivo didn't have them and it doesn't need them to do what it does better than any other DVR.

Quote:

If people were realistic about it than perhaps a few moaners would shut up.
I don't know anyone who isn't "realistic" about it :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35399903)
And what exactly are your two main complaints??

Red button is one I think. Not sure about the other.

Digital Fanatic 15-03-2012 10:29

TiVo does everything I want it to do, otherwise I wouldn't have got rid of my old SA V+HD box :)

Horses for courses... people moaned about V+ often enough :)

Tim Deegan 15-03-2012 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35399912)

Red button is one I think. Not sure about the other.

I almost never used the red button on my sky box. So I personally don't miss it at all.

carlwaring 15-03-2012 11:00

Me neither, but it is quite popular :)

Tim Deegan 15-03-2012 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35399961)
Me neither, but it is quite popular :)

It sounds like something that wasn't designed to be a Tivo feature originally, but people insist on it because they had it on their Sky box. :rolleyes:

carlwaring 15-03-2012 11:45

No, that's reminders ;):p::D

Itshim 15-03-2012 12:38

Full Red button BBC ( cannot get a "progamme" called the red zone is my main problem BBC Wales) & yes reminders.

No Carl the comment was not aimed at you. Else were & I guess more than one person reads these. It was said that people such as myself are scared of new technology.

Lets get one thing clear. I like many things about the Tivo. If it had the two things listed above it would be very good. Sorry but that`s about as great as I will go.
Holograms & voice control would make it great !!!

carlwaring 15-03-2012 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35400023)
Lets get one thing clear. I like many things about the Tivo. If it had the two things listed above it would be very good.

And it will have both shortly :)

Quote:

Holograms & voice control would make it great !!!
No you're just taking the p!ss, right? :D

Itshim 15-03-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35400068)
And it will have both shortly :)

No you're just taking the p!ss, right? :D

No just set the bar high:D

Tim Deegan 15-03-2012 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35400210)
No just set the bar high:D

And what are you comparing the Tivo to?

Itshim 16-03-2012 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35400288)
And what are you comparing the Tivo to?

I think you need to go back a few posts - What would it take to make Tivo great/ add fresh coffee on demand :rolleyes:

Tim Deegan 17-03-2012 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35400557)
I think you need to go back a few posts - What would it take to make Tivo great/ add fresh coffee on demand :rolleyes:

My point was that if you are comparing it to the Sky+HD box, then the Tivo is far more advanced. And will probably develop via updates over coming years in order to satisfy any critics.

Itshim 19-03-2012 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35401541)
My point was that if you are comparing it to the Sky+HD box, then the Tivo is far more advanced. And will probably develop via updates over coming years in order to satisfy any critics.

i am not compering it to anything. A car that can be driven on water is advanced ( I still remember them ) BUT it does not make it great( unless you add the word flop of cause). Tivo is not great it does most of the things I would like on a PVR, some of which I have no use for & therefore to ME are pointless, & is missing again for me some basic ones.:shocked:.

TiVo - "created by nerds for nerds Joe public was an afterthought ( I did not think anyone would want that syndrome) "

denphone 19-03-2012 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402088)
i am not compering it to anything. A car that can be driven on water is advanced ( I still remember them ) BUT it does not make it great( unless you add the word flop of cause). Tivo is not great it does most of the things I would like on a PVR, some of which I have no use for & therefore to ME are pointless, & is missing again for me some basic ones.:shocked:.

TiVo - "created by nerds for nerds Joe public was an afterthought ( I did not think anyone would want that syndrome) "

Nice to be called a nerd.:)

Stephen 19-03-2012 09:28

Quote:

TiVo is not a flop at all.

Also if you compare the way TiVo was in the USA versus the changes that VM have had made then its a lot better now, ie interactive features and the on Demand stuff.

carlwaring 19-03-2012 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35402116)

Indeed. 500k installed since launch.

Itshim 19-03-2012 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35402116)

Also if you compare the way TiVo was in the USA versus the changes that VM have had made then its a lot better now, ie interactive features and the on Demand stuff.

I think you will find that I am referring to the CAR - which was a GREAT FLOP:erm:

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35402106)
Nice to be called a nerd.:)

You are more than welcome :D

Tim Deegan 19-03-2012 10:40

Quote:

I think you are in a very small minority.

If there are features that you want on it, that it doesn't have, then why not recommend them on the VM forum?

Itshim 19-03-2012 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35402169)
I think you are in a very small minority.

If there are features that you want on it, that it doesn't have, then why not recommend them on the VM forum?

Tim

The features I would like are "coming soon" listed many times by myself & lots of others. BBC full red button & reminders ( the did not think any one would want item!):)

nstokes 19-03-2012 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402194)
Tim

The features I would like are "coming soon" listed many times by myself & lots of others. BBC full red button & reminders ( the did not think any one would want item!):)

BBC Red Button is coming before April

Itshim 19-03-2012 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35402199)
BBC Red Button is coming before April

So I understand but what year :D

denphone 19-03-2012 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402200)
So I understand but what year :D

This year and thats a fact.:D

nstokes 19-03-2012 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35402203)

Well if it turns out to be April 2013 then alot of people will not be happy as the world will have ended by then. Hold on a sec if the world has ended then people cant be unhappy :D

Itshim 19-03-2012 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35402203)

Sorry based on past experience I will just wait & see. :D

denphone 19-03-2012 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35402210)
Well if it turns out to be April 2013 then alot of people will not be happy as the world will have ended by then. Hold on a sec if the world has ended then people cant be unhappy :D

No we will be be as extinct as the Dodo.:D

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402212)
Sorry based on past experience I will just wait & see. :D

Then a surprise awaits you next month Itshim.:D

muppetman11 19-03-2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402200)

LOL :D

nstokes 19-03-2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35402214)
No we will be be as extinct as the Dodo.:D[COLOR="Silver"]

I always mis read that saying lol

Itshim 19-03-2012 12:01

Quote:

I HATE surprises. :p: Would you care to offer a date for it to happen.

denphone 19-03-2012 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35402220)
LOL :D

l thought you would get your two cents in master.:D

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402222)
I HATE surprises. :p: Would you care to offer a date for it to happen.

The BBC red button will arrive and will rollout during April.

Itshim 19-03-2012 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35402224)
l thought you would get your two cents in master.:D

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

The BBC red button will arrive and will rollout during April.

So the answer is no then

denphone 19-03-2012 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402227)
So the answer is no then

Some things take longer then a day to rollout Itshim but believe you me the BBC red button on the Tivo will be a step change from the old BBC red button which was on the old boxes.:)

carlwaring 19-03-2012 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402194)
..& reminders ( the did not think any one would want item!)

There's a good reason for that; they're not necessary.

Reminder:
Change channel at start
Tivo:
Change channel at start
Record programme

I know which I prefer :)

Quote:

No... more like:

"Tivo - Created by people who prefer watching what they want when they want; and saving 15 mins per hour by skipping ads."

Itshim 19-03-2012 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35402233)
Some things take longer then a day to rollout Itshim but believe you me the BBC red button on the Tivo will be a step change from the old BBC red button which was on the old boxes.:)

To be honest I would settle for the old Red button, but as long as it works from the off I will be happy

denphone 19-03-2012 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402251)

Reminder:
Change channel at start
Tivo:
Change channel at start
Record programme

I know which I prefer :)

And l know which one l prefer.:D

Itshim 19-03-2012 13:09

Quote:

Reminder:
Change channel at start
Tivo:
Change channel at start
Record programme WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT

I know which I prefer :) SO DO I :p:

No... more like:

"Tivo - Created by people who prefer watching what they want when they want; and saving 15 mins per hour by skipping ads."

What PVR doesnt:shocked:

Lew 19-03-2012 13:53

Quote:

Reminder:
Change channel at start
Tivo:
Change channel at start
Record programme

But TiVo doesn't change channel at the start of a scheduled recording Carl, and you're fully aware of this as we've had this discussion before. You're also fully aware of why some of us want reminders in addition to what's currently available and yet every time someone mentions reminders you "conveniently" forget every discussion on the subject and post your "I don't understand why people want reminders" spiel again.

Itshim 19-03-2012 14:10

Quote:

Is this what you are basing it on.Virgin media Tivo help & support:-

More good news! We’ve been working with the BBC to launch Red Button services on TiVo and we’re hoping to start the roll out*in April. This service will launch a menu over BBC channels.
* PR speak for "coming soon" note the word HOPING

okun69 19-03-2012 14:14

I've had a Tivo installed since December and can say in all honesty that in my opinion Tivo has only feature that sucks, and that is the lack of a dynamic EPG. The fact that we pay a premium for the EPG metadata makes it unbelieveable that this has not become a dynamic EPG!

denphone 19-03-2012 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402275)

More good news! We’ve been working with the BBC to launch Red Button services on TiVo and we’re hoping to start the roll out*in April. This service will launch a menu over BBC channels.

Your pessimism knows no bounds my dear chap.:)

Tim Deegan 19-03-2012 14:20

If you want to make suggestions about updates for the Tivo, then use this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VirginMediaTiVo

Itshim 19-03-2012 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by okun69 (Post 35402277)
I've had a Tivo installed since December and can say in all honesty that in my opinion Tivo has only feature that sucks, and that is the lack of a dynamic EPG. The fact that we pay a premium for the EPG metadata makes it unbelieveable that this has not become a dynamic EPG!

I can see your point but I guess its a case of never had it so don`t really miss it. Also cannot say that I have ever had a problem because of the lack of it .However I fully agree with you - Over to you Carl:p:

Tim Deegan 19-03-2012 14:31

Quote:

In business you never use the word "will". Instead you use the terms "should", or "aim to". Because you never know what could happen, so if you say "will", then it could come back to bite you.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

I think some people on this thread are concentrating far too much on the negatives. It isn't a Sky box, so why do people expect it to be a copy, but with improvements?

How about concentrating on the positives, and then any additions could go as suggestions using the link I added.

By the way Itshim, I'm not a nerd, and my wife certainly isn't (in fact she can hardly find her way around a PC). But she loves the Tivo and many of it's features. And we both prefer it to the Sky+HD box.

Itshim 19-03-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35402285)
In business you never use the word "will". Instead you use the terms "should", or "aim to". Because you never know what could happen, so if you say "will", then it could come back to bite you.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

By the way Itshim, I'm not a nerd, and my wife certainly isn't (in fact she can hardly find her way around a PC). But she loves the Tivo and many of it's features. And we both prefer it to the Sky+HD box.

That does not negate my strap line. Do you fit in with afterthought ? I do. Sorry if you fail to see the humor :(

I never have had a SKY box so I am not compering it with one.

Also I am not the one saying it will happen in April. Please look again at other posts.

carlwaring 19-03-2012 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402256)
What PVR doesnt:shocked:

Doesn't what? But that wasn't the point anyway :)

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35402272)
But TiVo doesn't change channel at the start of a scheduled recording Carl, and you're fully aware of this as we've had this discussion before.

No, but the recording is there ready for you. and is just as easy to get to unless you're really, really lazy ;)

Quote:

You're also fully aware of why some of us want reminders in addition to what's currently available and yet every time someone mentions reminders you "conveniently" forget every discussion on the subject and post your "I don't understand why people want reminders" spiel again.
I don't forget at all. If people don't mention it ever again, I won't. If they do, I will.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote:

Yes, well. Delays can sometimes occur.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:

I have managed since 2001 without a dynamic EPG and have only regretted not having one on a handful of occasions.

alwaysabear 19-03-2012 17:48

Quote:

That is a reason why I do not want TiVo as it is. To have to pay for an epg that takes 24 hours to be updated in this day and age is quiet frankly ridiculous.

carlwaring 19-03-2012 17:58

And yet we (Tivo owners) have managed (mostly) perfectly well without one. I wonder how? :rolleyes:

Lew 19-03-2012 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402398)
No, but the recording is there ready for you. and is just as easy to get to unless you're really, really lazy ;)

Or want to watch a live event, but you knew that already.

alwaysabear 19-03-2012 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402412)
And yet we (Tivo owners) have managed (mostly) perfectly well without one. I wonder how? :rolleyes:

Well you obviously do not record live sports events which is what you suggest everyone else does, as you would know full well that you have either the end missing off the live event or if you want to record a program that immediately follows the live event you will have nothing:rolleyes:

kop32 19-03-2012 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402412)

Perhaps then your used to settling for second best Carl?,I on the other hand am not (I record live Football etc)

Hugh 19-03-2012 18:42

This discussion reminds me of Sayre's Law...
Quote:

"In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."
:D

devilincarnate 19-03-2012 18:44

Record live sports? People must lock themselves away so that they do not hear the results:erm: I always wondered why it said (If you do not want to know, Turn the radio/Tv down now?)

Got my coat:)

carlwaring 19-03-2012 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35402418)

So when you see the recording light come on, start watching the recording. But you knew that too.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35402426)
Well you obviously do not record live sports events which is what you suggest everyone else does, as you would know full well that you have either the end missing off the live event or if you want to record a program that immediately follows the live event you will have nothing:rolleyes:

Which is why it asks you if you want to add an extra hour onto the live event; assuming you haven't told it not to ask. Or just add padding yourself.

Personally, I'd much rather have it recorded as a back anyway; in case I get a phone call, or have to go out, or just want to watch it again.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35402438)
Record live sports? People must lock themselves away so that they do not hear the results.

Nothing to stop you watching the recording from the second it starts.

devilincarnate 19-03-2012 19:13

Lew and Carl sitting in a tree K.I.S.S.I.N.G ?

Sorry it just seems like you two seem to having a lovers tiff:D:D:D:D

carlwaring 19-03-2012 19:14

Ewww :p:

Itshim 20-03-2012 09:02

I am starting to think that the world will end if we don`t all sing Tivos praises. It will be up of an Oscar next Along with a Nobel peace prize. Get a life its a PVR not the next generation of pacemakers

kop32 20-03-2012 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402581)
I am starting to think that the world will end if we don`t all sing Tivos praises. It will be up of an Oscar next Along with a Nobel peace prize. Get a life its a PVR not the next generation of pacemakers

Rumor has it that the next software update will allow the TiVo to perform open heart surgery :D

denphone 20-03-2012 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35402581)

Strange you mention next generation pacemakers as l have a state of the art ICD fitted.:)

Tim Deegan 20-03-2012 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35402418)

You can still watch it while it is being recorded. And even if you missed the start, you can still rewind it while it is being recorded. Yes a reminder would be a good addition, but it's hardly a big issue.:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35402432)
Perhaps then your used to settling for second best Carl?,I on the other hand am not (I record live Football etc)

And exactly why can't you do that with the Tivo?

kop32 20-03-2012 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35402600)
You can still watch it while it is being recorded. And even if you missed the start, you can still rewind it while it is being recorded. Yes a reminder would be a good addition, but it's hardly a big issue.:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

And exactly why can't you do that with the Tivo?

Tim,
Read #85,you can record live sport etc but nine times out of ten if the program overruns you miss the end of the event,or even the beginning of the next program if you are recording it,this,I have been reliably informed is due to the lack of a dynamic EPG in TiVo,but you probably knew that already........

carlwaring 20-03-2012 10:17

If you try to record a live event on Tivo, it will (unless you tell it not to) ask you if you want to add ONE HOUR end padding. Add to this the fact that you can extend that padding to something like FIVE HOURS if you want to and there is then no absolute necessity for a dynamic EPG. (Useful, yes. Necessary, no.)

kop32 20-03-2012 10:23

TiVo has been marketed as the future of PVR's,now if not having a dynamic EPG is the future then I for one will continue to live in the past with my "old" Sky +HD box's,not sure how I will manage.....:rolleyes:

Tim Deegan 20-03-2012 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35402607)
Tim,
Read #85,you can record live sport etc but nine times out of ten if the program overruns you miss the end of the event,or even the beginning of the next program if you are recording it,this,I have been reliably informed is due to the lack of a dynamic EPG in TiVo,but you probably knew that already........

I asked the question about a dynamic EPG a couple of months ago, and was told that it is being developed at the moment.

The Sky+HD box doesn't have a dynamic EPG either, but you probably knew that already.......

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35402611)
If you try to record a live event on Tivo, it will (unless you tell it not to) ask you if you want to add ONE HOUR end padding. Add to this the fact that you can extend that padding to something like FIVE HOURS if you want to and there is then no absolute necessity for a dynamic EPG. (Useful, yes. Necessary, no.)

It is necessary. But at least there is a way of adding the padding until it is available.

Itshim 20-03-2012 10:26

It is not the Best PVR on the market AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED. When & only when the two items on the V+ are added then it will become my main PVR. If that makes it the best I have no idea not tried them all . Perhaps the lack of a dynamic EPG , will hold it back from number one.

As for making sure it stays ( Carl a number of posts back), if something better comes along I would drop it like a hot brick, lets be honest that applies to Virgin & every other company/ product the is in the market