Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : The Last of Us (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711640)

SnoopZ 16-01-2023 14:55

The Last of Us

Most people that have owned a Playstation 4 will know what this is all about.

The Last of Us Episode 1 Premiered on Sky Atlantic on Monday 16th Jan 2023 2am.

Pierre 16-01-2023 15:57

Re: The Last of Us

I'm going to watch it later, hopefully it's not another Walking-Dead-a-thon.

ianch99 16-01-2023 16:01

This gets really good reviews e.g. https://www.empireonline.com/tv/reviews/the-last-of-us/

Paul 16-01-2023 20:39

I will be giving this a go.

I had no idea it was based on a game.

ianch99 16-01-2023 21:40

Just watched first episode .. I liked it

Paul 17-01-2023 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36143768)
Just watched first episode .. I liked it

Ditto, just finished it, I want to see how this goes.

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

Small fact I learned today ..
The girl who plays Ellie (who also played Lyanna in GOT) comes from Nottingham.

Hugh 17-01-2023 22:45

Just watched the first episode- really liked it; very tense.

btw, there’s a nickname going around for "The Last of Us" - "The Fungalorian"… ;)

Jaymoss 17-01-2023 23:54

Excellent. Nice little nudge to listen to some Depeche Mode at the end

Damien 18-01-2023 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36143852)
Excellent. Nice little nudge to listen to some Depeche Mode at the end

The way that was set up earlier was really nice as well.

Pierre 19-01-2023 20:47

Really enjoyed it the two leads, both from GoT, really good. Although derived from a video game it borrows from the genre and puts it all together.

A fungal infection rather than a virus - the same as “The Girl with all the Gifts”. (although the video game may pre-date that movie).

The way the infected move, is very WWZ.

Looks like it could be a good one!

Jaymoss 19-01-2023 20:57

Best bonus is the game is finally coming out on the PC in March

Pierre 23-01-2023 22:09

Good episode. The breakout confirmed as coming from Indonesia, which I think was the same as WWZ.

It’s a good series that has no issue in borrowing from the genre, which is great. Long May continue.

Paul 24-01-2023 00:49

Yep, just finished watching it, just the two of them now.
I guess those that follow the game knew that, I wasnt expecting it.

I didnt know that the "infected" were [clearly] totally blind as well.
I did wonder why she kep fiddling with a lighter, with all those granades available.

Damien 24-01-2023 11:16

I am surprised how much they're leaning into the game itself, it's not 'inspired' by the game it is a proper adaptation of it. There was dialogue in it which was lifted directly from the game, the set design of both the Museum and the Capitol building at the end there were closely matching the level design of the game and there were a number of camera shots which were lifted directly from the game as well. The overall progression of the episode also mostly mirrors the game so far. They have changed a few things but I won't go into those due to spoilers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36144298)
I guess those that follow the game knew that, I wasnt expecting it.

Yup. Happens at the same moment in the game as it did there although it's soldiers and not the infected in the game that storm in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36144298)
I didnt know that the "infected" were [clearly] totally blind as well.

Only those ones. The other infected (and some more to come) can see.

The lore from the game is that there are stages of infection. The normal ones are recently turned and retain hearing and sight. If the progression of the infection doesn't kill them they turn into clickers where the eyesight goes and is compensated by hearing.

There will be other types to come.

Pierre 24-01-2023 21:47

It’s good, enjoying it. Nothing really groundbreaking. Man has lost his daughter, now gains a surrogate daughter that could save humanity, has to get her across America where they will face a litany of horrors far worse than the ever present threat of the zombie hoard.

They’ll grow to love each other.

The thing is, two episodes in, I loved the walking dead. But that went on for 11 years and I stopped watching after 7 or 8.

So hopefully they’ll keep this series tight, concise and full of action, I also hope they keep revisiting the outbreak origins.

SnoopZ 24-01-2023 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36144360)
It’s good, enjoying it. Nothing really groundbreaking. Man has lost his daughter, now gains a surrogate daughter that could save humanity, has to get her across America where they will face a litany of horrors far worse than the ever present threat of the zombie hoard.

The thing is, two episodes in, I loved the walking dead. But that went on for 11 years and I stopped watching after 7 or 8.

So hopefully they’ll keep this series tight, concise and full of action, I also hope they keep revisiting the outbreak origins.

Not watched it yet but if it closely mirrors the games which there are only 2 I can't see them dragging it out that long.

Paul 25-01-2023 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36144314)
The lore from the game is that there are stages of infection. The normal ones are recently turned and retain hearing and sight. If the progression of the infection doesn't kill them they turn into clickers where the eyesight goes and is compensated by hearing.

The ones from this episode (clickers as you call them) reminded me of triffids.

Damien 25-01-2023 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36144360)

I can't see it going beyond 2, maybe 3, seasons. The games' stories are pretty concise in terms of story and don't allow for it to go on forever.

SnoopZ 25-01-2023 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36144378)
I can't see it going beyond 2, maybe 3, seasons. The games' stories are pretty concise in terms of story and don't allow for it to go on forever.

I still need to play the 2nd game I'm only a few hours in and it's in my back log.

Paul 01-02-2023 18:29

Wasnt over impressed with this weeks episode.
I'm told its just following the game still, but it was all pretty dull to me.
We didnt learn much new, and the only thing that really happened was they got a car.
This felt like a 20 minute story stretched out to over an hour. Still, it hasnt put me off yet.

Jaymoss 01-02-2023 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36144983)
We didnt learn much new, and the only thing that really happened was they got a car.
This felt like a 20 minute story stretched out to over an hour. Still, it hasnt put me off yet.

Yeah when the games comes out on PC for me these will be skipped scenes

Pierre 01-02-2023 22:14

Quote:

Well I viewed this as more of a story adjacent episode. TWD did this occasionally, but not as well. It only pushes the main show incrementally but tells a story within its own episode.

I enjoyed it. You can have your opinions on the relationship between the men and how far it the intimate moments were pushed. It didn’t bother me. It wasn’t a woke episode, there was no narrative being pushed, no “ you should think this way” script. It was just a story and they happened to be men.

I also loved how the girl thought the old truck was like a spaceship and asking what it was like to actually fly in a plane, because she never had, nor probably never will.

Also how they visually morphed from the bodies in the mass grave in the present to the people in the past.

Also that we now know who played the 80’s music on the radio, and that they probably died before Joel and the girl left Boston.

It’s a very strong and well put together show so far.

Damien 08-02-2023 14:47

Quote:

That episode was the first major deviation from the game. That couple were in a relationship in the game but you only meet Bill after they've broken up, you do gameplay stuff, and at the end of the chapter you arrive at a house to find Frank had hung himself to avoid turning after he was bitten.

I think they have to have stuff like that to breath more life into the world but I am now concerned how rushed the last few episodes will be as there is a lot more to get though.

This week's episode didn't progress things enough in that regard. I liked it, and am interested to see how they handle the next scenes, but the pace needs to pick up.

Pierre 08-02-2023 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36145449)
That episode was the first major deviation from the game. That couple were in a relationship in the game but you only meet Bill after they've broken up, you do gameplay stuff, and at the end of the chapter you arrive at a house to find Frank had hung himself to avoid turning after he was bitten.

I think they have to have stuff like that to breath more life into the world but I am now concerned how rushed the last few episodes will be as there is a lot more to get though.

This week's episode didn't progress things enough in that regard. I liked it, and am interested to see how they handle the next scenes, but the pace needs to pick up.

Yeah, didn’t think this weeks moved things along that much.

Paul 08-02-2023 19:49

Yes, it seems to have slowed down a lot in the last two episodes.
It did end on a bit of a cliff hanger this week (which was also the shortest episode so far).

Paul 12-02-2023 03:01

Well episode 5 was another slow burner for ages, almost driving me to the fast forward button - but then it finally burst into life ! Quite an ending.

Damien 12-02-2023 09:35

Much better than the last episode. The scene where they're underground in the play area is lifted from the game, in that game you find out via notes left around of that being a community of people from the perspective of 'Ish' and in the TV show they have the exact drawing from the game: https://i.insider.com/63e72c1d96242f...jpeg&auto=webp

The finale of the episode is almost shot for shot from the game as well.

Pierre 12-02-2023 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36145754)
Well episode 5 was another slow burner for ages, almost driving me to the fast forward button - but then it finally burst into life ! Quite an ending.

I think the clicker girl at the end was under used, or used in a poor way. Used in a different scene, she could have been terrifying, the way she moved.

Damien 13-02-2023 10:26

Knowing what's left I really think they should have down 10 episodes.

Paul 13-02-2023 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36145853)
Knowing what's left I really think they should have down 10 episodes.

I presume you mean 'done'. :)
They have a second season now.

Jaymoss 13-02-2023 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36145867)
I presome you mean 'done'. :)

I 'presume' he did :)

Paul 13-02-2023 15:37

*sigh* ... yes.

Damien 13-02-2023 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36145867)
I presume you mean 'done'. :)

Yes I did. :dunce:

As for the 2nd season, without spoiling it, both games are complete stories. So this season is building towards an end.

Pierre 16-02-2023 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36145872)
Yes I did. :dunce:

As for the 2nd season, without spoiling it, both games are complete stories. So this season is building towards an end.

I've never played the game, but I hear the TV is in some places "shot for shot" mirror to the game.

But if you've played both games then you know the endings.

I would have thought the shows creators would have changed it, it only has to be an adaptation not a shot for shot retelling.

Damien 20-02-2023 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36146160)
I've never played the game, but I hear the TV is in some places "shot for shot" mirror to the game.

But if you've played both games then you know the endings.

I would have thought the shows creators would have changed it, it only has to be an adaptation not a shot for shot retelling.

It is shot for shot in some places, changed in others.

But the overall major plot points, characters and structure are the same. Last week's episode ended the same way the game did. This week's episode is very close to the game as well. Each episode is roughly a chapter from the game.

I am 90% sure they're building to the same ending. Unless they're going to do a major shift for the finale but given how loyal they've been to the story I think they'll see it though.

There is plenty in the next game to do another season, maybe even two. The second game is very long.

This week's episode was very good.

Jaymoss 20-02-2023 21:43

As a TV series I am enjoying it but I must say I can not see how the game is exciting. So far it has been 80 cut scene 10% exploring 10% action

Damien 20-02-2023 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36146466)
As a TV series I am enjoying it but I must say I can not see how the game is exciting. So far it has been 80 cut scene 10% exploring 10% action

Have you played the game? The game is obviously structured differently.

This is how the last episode aired today differs in the game:

Spoiler: 

In this last episode, you have to get to the dam (where Tommy actually is), it's attacked by raiders so you fight there, then Ellie runs off to an old house and you need to go find her and fight bad guys on the way, then you have the scene where Ellie is reading the diary and then gives the speech about everyone leaving her, then more fights. The university is a big action scene in the game with a lot more action.

Jaymoss 20-02-2023 22:09

It is not out on PC till next month. I am a PC only gamer

Damien 20-02-2023 22:19

Ok well yeah. The game has a lot more action than they take out here or condense. Episode 2 is probably the closest to the game in terms of structure because you literally just travel from point a to b. But each episode has taken out a lot of the parts where there would have been gameplay, episode 3 is literally you and bill going though a town full of clickers and runners (i.e zombies) to get to a high school.

SnoopZ 20-02-2023 22:21

The game was awesome and I really need to try and get into the 2nd game again.

Pierre 27-02-2023 20:48

Weakest episode of the series so far.

Just, boring, really.

Damien 27-02-2023 21:21

I think the first in Kansas City was the weakest, then this one. This was a bit slow but I feel it was more critical in Ellie's character growth, the pacing generally is a bit off as they go through certain parts at a brisk clip and then slow it right down again.

This was the episode I was most concerned about as I knew it was coming and I knew it wouldn't fit into the series' story (it's DLC in the game).

The final two episodes should pick up now.

Paul 28-02-2023 20:54

It was interesting to see the back story, but an entire episode was not needed.
I ended up skipping bits to get to the bit I knew was coming.
Despite all that time dedicated to it, we didnt see how she discovered she was immune.

Damien 28-02-2023 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36147157)
It was interesting to see the back story, but an entire episode was not needed.
I ended up skipping bits to get to the bit I knew was coming.
Despite all that time dedicated to it, we didnt see how she discovered she was immune.

Yeah I want to see that. You don't see it in the game either.

Paul 07-03-2023 02:00

Much better episode this week. :D

Damien 07-03-2023 08:24

It's good but really should be been a two-parter IMO. More of the town should have been explored, more build-up of Joel hunting for Ellie and Ellie's interactions with David.

The next, and last, episode should be good if they do it right but it's only 43 minutes long.....

The series has been very good but I think the pacing is weird. They slow things right down for some episodes and then go at breakneck speed in others.

Pierre 07-03-2023 13:48

It's been very hit and miss. This episode was good, but cannibalism.. We've seen it before. TWD did it better IMO.

This weeks episode, makes last weeks even more irrelevant and annoying.

As you say, this weeks could have been a two parter and really scary if done a bit better, instead of wasting time on last weeks.

It's only a solid 7/10 for me so far.

Damien 13-03-2023 20:33

They kept the game's ending and did it almost scene for scene, word for word! The final few scenes even had the same cuts, camera angles and music.

Jaymoss 13-03-2023 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36148226)
They kept the game's ending and did it almost scene for scene, word for word! The final few scenes even had the same cuts, camera angles and music.

I look forward to playing through the hospital on its hardest level within a week of it coming out on PC haha

ianch99 13-03-2023 23:19

Loved the whole season. Got better as time went on.

Who else thought the mother looked exactly like Ellie?

Paul 14-03-2023 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36148241)

She did.

So we finally found out why she is immune as well.

I'm not sure him lying about what happened was the best thing.

Season 2 should be interesting.

Damien 14-03-2023 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36148241)
Loved the whole season. Got better as time went on.

FYI The mother is the one who plays Ellie in the video game in case you didn't know.