Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33683063)

Simon G 25-11-2011 12:22

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Just looking at the new Sky F1 site http://f1.sky.com/#home It mentions the brand new Sky F1 HD channel they are launching which looks and sounds great! But..just how likely, with the Sky Atlantic fiasco are we to get to see this channel on virgin, and are we even less likley to see it in HD? :shocked:

zekeisaszekedoes 25-11-2011 12:25

Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

I'm sure it'll be on VM HD just in time, and I'm sure it'll have a nice big subscription fee attached to it!

HDFootyMan 25-11-2011 12:28

I'd be amazed if that's on VM anytime soon. That would be a good UPS for Sky.

As for the HD version, we haven't even got SSN HD yet.

Simon G 25-11-2011 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes (Post 35335013)
I'm sure it'll be on VM HD just in time, and I'm sure it'll have a nice big subscription fee attached to it!

Probably, it will be free on Sky to Sky Sports subscribers, and non Sky Sports subscribers who have the Sky HD pack. Does this mean it is not classed as a premium sports channel? Would be nice on XL pack..

Doz007 25-11-2011 12:29

Considering we're still waiting Sky Sports 3,4 & News in HD along with Sky Atlantic I wouldn't hold my breath unfortunately.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong though. :)

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 12:36

What is the epg channel for this channel?

When we get Sky Sports HD3/4 and Shy Sprorts News HD, we better get this channel as well!

gcampbell 25-11-2011 12:37

It's a sports channel so VM will give it more priority, while fans of good drama are ignored.

nstokes 25-11-2011 12:47

i would love this channel but unlikely we will get it and if we do will it be free and will we get the HD version?

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

found this on there site "Sky Sports F1™HD is free to full Sky Sports customers and to Sky HD subscribers" so it seems that you will need the sky sports package

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335029)
i would love this channel but unlikely we will get it and if we do will it be free and will we get the HD version?

It's likely it will be only avalible to Sky Sports subscribers (if we got this channel!)

As for getting the HD version, i am not so sure (but we better get the hd version as well!)

Chad 25-11-2011 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35335027)
What is the epg channel for this channel?

When we get Sky Sports HD3/4 and Shy Sprorts News HD, we better get this channel as well!

It's on channel 408 for SKY customers. Here's some more info:

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...hes-F1-channel

nstokes 25-11-2011 12:49

well also seen this "The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels"

that says to me you dont need sky sports just the hd channels

at least the sd channel will be free if you dont have hd "Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version"

NickDK87 25-11-2011 12:51

Will there be a non HD F1 channel that Virgin will get?

nstokes 25-11-2011 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickDK87 (Post 35335042)
Will there be a non HD F1 channel that Virgin will get?

only thing i have found is "Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version"

Mobes 25-11-2011 12:54

According to the (Daily Mail??) article on the Coming Soon thread, that says the channels will be free to both Sky and VM sky sports subscribers so I doubt VM customers will have to pay any more...for SD anyways.

nstokes 25-11-2011 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35335046)
According to the (Daily Mail??) article on the Coming Soon thread, that says the channels will be free to both Sky and VM sky sports subscribers so I doubt VM customers will have to pay any more...for SD anyways.

i hope we get it free - skys site indicates that non sky sports customers will get it free

got this from HD Boy

They are answering questions on twitter

Quote:
@SkySportsF1 Can we get the channel in HD on Virgin Media?

Quote:
@mexos We're working on that at the moment, so not sure yet.

http://scribe.twitter.com/#!/SkySportsF1

Joedm45 25-11-2011 13:00

I've looked into my crystal ball and have seen the following....

Constant speculation!

Thank God it will only last at most 3 and a half months ;)

Gavin-D 25-11-2011 13:01

Latest from Twitter

It is not yet known whether the new channel will be available on Virgin Media. We will advise when we can.

semps 25-11-2011 13:02

Sky HD customers get the channel too (without having a sports package), so hopefully virgin will do the same or at least match it if you have a moan!

gcampbell 25-11-2011 13:05

I'm sure it'll work out, after all Virgin Media are constantly looking at new and exciting channels to add to their TV line up, or so I am constantly told by them.

Of course, going by recent form, that probably means no one will get the channel they actually want and instead Virgin Media will be excited to announce the arrival of the Basket Weaving Channel in glorious High Definition!!;)

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35335046)

If it is free to Virgin Media customers (that is both SD and HD), then AT LAST SKY have listen to the general republic!!!

Still Waiting Sky Sports HD3/4, Sky Sports News HD, Sky News HD, Sky Atlantic, Sky Atlantic HD, Sky 3D for Virgin Media Customers (at least as Premium Channels)

Gavin-D 25-11-2011 13:11

Knowing VM they will tell us all it's too expensive like they have with other channels.

Bets on Sky Sports F1HD been a Sky Exclusive? And VM only get the Standard def channel.

nstokes 25-11-2011 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by semps (Post 35335055)
Sky HD customers get the channel too (without having a sports package), so hopefully virgin will do the same or at least match it if you have a moan!

i have seen on there twitter than sky hd customers get the hd channel free even if there not sky sports customer but they need the hd pack

andy_m 25-11-2011 13:16

I get how they are able to withhold Sky Atlantic-that is after all just another channel, regardless of how desirable the content is to some, but such has been the outcry over the BBC giving up half of its Formula One output, including a well supported if ultimately failed Parliamentary petition, I can't see anyway in which they'll be allowed to keep this channel as an exclusive. It simply won't happen in my opinion.

What will be interesting will be exactly how much it will cost non-Sky customers, and in what broadcast quality it will be available.

muppetman11 25-11-2011 13:17

I would suspect VM Sky Sports subscribers will receive it but can't see it being free to all on their platform . Sky will use this to tempt people to join and take the HD pack.

nstokes 25-11-2011 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35335066)
I would suspect VM Sky Sports subscribers will receive it but can't see it being free to all on their platform . Sky will use this to tempt people to join and take the HD pack.

myabe so but sky 1 is on xl pack and so is sky 1 hd so you never know it maybe in the xl pack only as its only going to be on for 9 months of the year. i hope so anyway.

Joedm45 25-11-2011 13:21

I'm no business expert but I think Sky would be stupid not to include this channel with as many TV suppliers as possible.

Off the top of my head, the BBC have been getting around 10 million viewers on some races this year and coincidently Sky have around 10 million TV subscribers. Obviously not every Sky customer is an F1 fan so making this channel available to VM, BT etc must be an obvious choice.

If they don't do this and the viewing figures are poor then I'm sure Bernie will stick his oar in and threaten to go back to Auntie Beeb :)

As stated above, the HD version is most likely to be a Sky exclusive, IMO.

zekeisaszekedoes 25-11-2011 13:28

Well it'll be good to get an F1 channel in HD finally, that idiot midget has been holding off on it for years, I guess now he's seen the light because Sky told him they could monetize it via subscriptions.

nstokes 25-11-2011 13:30

it WILL NOT be on freeview according there twitter so the daily mail (or whatever site it was) got that bit wrong

muppetman11 25-11-2011 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335067)
myabe so but sky 1 is on xl pack and so is sky 1 hd so you never know it maybe in the xl pack only as its only going to be on for 9 months of the year. i hope so anyway.

Personally can't see it , but hope I'm proven wrong.

Swampie 25-11-2011 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes (Post 35335074)
Well it'll be good to get an F1 channel in HD finally, that idiot midget has been holding off on it for years, I guess now he's seen the light because Sky told him they could monetize it via subscriptions.

BBC has been doing F1 in HD already this year.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

SkySportsF1 twitter feed has confirmed that the channel will be free to Sky HD subscribers (in HD), or in SD to Sky Sports subscribers. So it sounds that it would be unlikely to get the SD version on Virgin Media without also taking Sky Sports.

nstokes 25-11-2011 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampie (Post 35335083)
BBC has been doing F1 in HD already this year.

The SD channel is free to all Sky customers but HD will be free if they are ethier an HD pack customer or Sky Sports customer or even both

zekeisaszekedoes 25-11-2011 13:53

Boy is my face red, totally missed that. First few races were so boring and I didn't have a HD capable box then, I just assumed it was still not in HD.

I stand by my comments about Bernie though. :D

Swampie 25-11-2011 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335094)
The SD channel is free to all Sky customers but HD will be free if they are ethier an HD pack customer or Sky Sports customer or even both

Nope, according to SkySportsF1 twitter feed, it's available to all Sky Sports Customers (in SD) or to Sky HD customers (in HD). If you're a non-Sports non-HD customer, you don't get it.

Digital Fanatic 25-11-2011 14:00

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...rticles/SKYF1/

Quote:

Customer News

Sky announces new Formula 1 channel
Sky announced today that it will be creating a new channel devoted to Formula 1, after Sky Sports and the BBC were awarded the rights to broadcast Formula 1 in the UK from 2012 to 2018, back in July.

We always want to give you the best TV line up, so we’re talking to Sky about acquiring this channel.
The new Formula 1 season doesn’t kick off until March next year, so there’s a while before the action starts up. We’ll be updating this page as soon as we have more information for you, so check back here for the latest news.

pk1 25-11-2011 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35335103)

Thanks for the info.

Mobes 25-11-2011 14:11

Here's my thoughts. Sky have invested a lot of money into stealing ;) F1 from the Beeb. They will want to get some money back form us as VM customers. I am 100% convinced we will be able to watch this channel either as a stand alone or free if we subscribe to Sky Sports.

denphone 25-11-2011 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35335112)
Here's my thoughts. Sky have invested a lot of money into stealing ;) F1 from the Beeb. They will want to get some money back form us as VM customers. I am 100% convinced we will be able to watch this channel either as a stand alone or free if we subscribe to Sky Sports.

Lets hope so.

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 14:19

Quote:

Lets hope it includes the HD version

muppetman11 25-11-2011 14:23

Quote:

More like the Beeb needed a way out and simply couldn't afford it with the cuts they need to make.

nstokes 25-11-2011 14:25

see below from hd boy

Sky Sports F1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It is understood that Sky is in talks with other providers about making the channel available, with pay-TV rival Virgin Media most likely to agree a carriage deal.

BT Vision and Top Up TV, which both already provide Sky Sports 1 and 2, would need to purchase another Freeview channel slot to be able to offer Sky Sports F1, which makes carriage unlikely due to the high cost.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...l-in-2012.html

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampie (Post 35335102)
Nope, according to SkySportsF1 twitter feed, it's available to all Sky Sports Customers (in SD) or to Sky HD customers (in HD). If you're a non-Sports non-HD customer, you don't get it.

some of there tweets say different and so does there site, so it seems strange at mo. Some tweets are saying all they need is entertainment pack and hd pack and do not need sky sports

denphone 25-11-2011 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35335120)
More like the Beeb needed a way out and simply couldn't afford it with the cuts they need to make.

Exactly.

nstokes 25-11-2011 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampie (Post 35335102)

see below

"Sky Sports F1 will be made available at no extra cost to all Sky TV customers signed up to both Sky Sports 1 and 2, or the HD pack of channels" this is taken form Digital spy and same working is on sky site as well

you need ethier HD pack or sky sports

muppetman11 25-11-2011 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335130)
see below

"Sky Sports F1 will be made available at no extra cost to all Sky TV customers signed up to both Sky Sports 1 and 2, or the HD pack of channels" this is taken form Digital spy and same working is on sky site as well

you need ethier HD pack or sky sports

This article also backs up what your saying

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...redirect=false

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 14:40

HD Boy sent me this:

Does anythink that OFCOM might deal with this Sky Sports F1 HD channel as a matter of urgency because it will be showing premium sport on the channel.

Will we get the red button on this channel ?

Can you post this please.

Kingofthedead4 25-11-2011 14:42

Ok people, lets breathe.......of course Sky would announce it as soon as possible in the hope they would get customers from other suppliers to panic and jump ship. Give Virgin chance.

nstokes 25-11-2011 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35335137)
This article also backs up what your saying

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...redirect=false

thanks for posting that i will post the quote they use which is "The channel, which will broadcast for the entirity of the nine-month F1 season from next year, will be available to subscribers to Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2, and to non-sports customers who subscribe to its HD services. Sky Sports subscribers without HD will receive a standard definition version."

as this is the case surely VM should get it for free?

Digital Fanatic 25-11-2011 14:45

indeed, VM have already said they are talking to Sky. See post #34

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingofthedead4 (Post 35335141)
Ok people, lets breathe.......of course Sky would announce it as soon as possible in the hope they would get customers from other suppliers to panic and jump ship. Give Virgin chance.

nstokes 25-11-2011 14:47

it will be a while before VM will annouce if they are getting the channel or not and if so which verison and package

muppetman11 25-11-2011 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingofthedead4 (Post 35335141)

I personally think Sky will allow VM to add the channel on the basis of being free to VM Sky sports subscribers , but I can't see it being included as part of the XL , Sky are using the HD pack offer as a way of getting 10.25 revenue to those who don't want Sky Sports also a pretty good way of attracting new subscribers.

dav 25-11-2011 14:47

I won't be jumping ship to Sky just for this.
Yes, I like watching F1.
Yes, I am seriously p'd off with the BBC/Sky deal.
No, I won't give any cash to Sky.

nstokes 25-11-2011 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35335147)
I personally think Sky will allow VM to add the channel on the basis of being free to VM Sky sports subscribers , but I can't see it being included as part of the XL , Sky are using the HD pack offer as a way of getting 10.25 revenue to those who don't want Sky Sports also a pretty good way of attracting new subscribers.

i think if they do that it its silly as not alot people will want the sports sub just to get F1. I dont see why they wont do what they have done for Sky 1 and Sky 1 HD and put it in the XL pack

i am already sub'ed to SS pack but my dad for example would like to watch it but doesnt have SS pack and doesnt want it

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav (Post 35335148)
I won't be jumping ship to Sky just for this.
Yes, I like watching F1.
Yes, I am seriously p'd off with the BBC/Sky deal.
No, I won't give any cash to Sky.

I would agree with that!

Kingofthedead4 25-11-2011 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335075)
it WILL NOT be on freeview according there twitter so the daily mail (or whatever site it was) got that bit wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335150)
i think if they do that it its silly as not alot people will want the sports sub just to get F1. I dont see why they wont do what they have done for Sky 1 and Sky 1 HD and put it in the XL pack

i am already sub'ed to SS pack but my dad for example would like to watch it but doesnt have SS pack and doesnt want it

Virgin may be arguing that very point at the moment.

muppetman11 25-11-2011 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335150)

I agree however look at it from business point of view. Can you really see Sky allowing VM to add F1 HD into XL at a cost of around 25.00 a month when there own customers would have to pay 20.00 for entertainment pack plus HD pack totalling 30.25 therefore giving VM the more attractive deal.

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 15:00

I do not mind paying extra for Sky Sports F1 HD (but not for Sky Sports F1 SD)

denphone 25-11-2011 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35335160)

And how much extra would you pay.

nstokes 25-11-2011 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35335158)
I agree however look at it from business point of view. Can you really see Sky allowing VM to add F1 HD into XL at a cost of around 25.00 a month when there own customers would have to pay 20.00 for entertainment pack plus HD pack totalling 30.25 therefore giving VM the more attractive deal.

i see your point but we pay less than them for Sky1 and sky 1 HD (i think) same as sky arts so you never know

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35335161)
And how much extra would you pay.

£10 to £20 maybe

denphone 25-11-2011 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35335165)
£10 to £20 maybe

A fool and his money are soon parted.:)

muppetman11 25-11-2011 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35335160)

Your profile says your a Sky Sports subscriber on VM , why would you want to pay more :confused: it should be free for VM Sky Sports subscribers as it is with Sky.

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35335167)
Your profile says your a Sky Sports subscriber on VM , why would you want to pay more :confused: it should be free for VM Sky Sports subscribers as it is with Sky.

I talking about the HD version, not the SD version (which likely to be free for Sky Sports subscribers)!

nstokes 25-11-2011 15:17

Quote:

£10 to £20 maybe

guessing you have alot of money :D i wouldnt be willing to pay more than 1p let alone £10

denphone 25-11-2011 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335172)
guessing you have alot of money :D i wouldnt be willing to pay more than 1p let alone £10

+1:tu:

scaseman 25-11-2011 15:28

As far as I am concerned I aiready pay a fortune for Sky Sports & Movies and the HD charge. If the F1 channel is an extra charge I will be cancelling Sky Sports & Movies plus the HD Charge.

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaseman (Post 35335188)
As far as I am concerned I aiready pay a fortune for Sky Sports & Movies and the HD charge. If the F1 channel is an extra charge I will be cancelling Sky Sports & Movies plus the HD Charge.

Do you mean the SD F1 channel or both the SD and HD F1 channel?

scaseman 25-11-2011 15:31

If I have to pay extra for either I would cancel.

denphone 25-11-2011 15:31

Quote:

And l will join you as £36.00 is already a lot to pay and l have no intention of paying anything extra on top and that will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

dav 25-11-2011 15:34

I'm willing to pay a big fat....zero.

If VM strike a carriage deal with Sky that allows for 'free' access to VM customers, then that's all well and good. I'll continue to watch F1 (whilst grinding my teeth at "the full Sky Sports treatment" they're giving it)

However, it still doesn't help the legions of F1 fans who will only be able to access half a season on the BBC ( " 'kin splitters " to quote Monty Python).

If this channel isn't carried on VM then I'm afraid I'll be doing what many, many more F1 fans will be doing next year....sourcing F1 by 'alternative' means, or giving up on it altogether. F1 is an all or nothing sport. There is no compromise.

nstokes 25-11-2011 15:35

Quote:

i doubt there will be an extra charge for this channel but i can see if going in the SS pack instead of normal XL pack

scaseman 25-11-2011 15:36

Time for a poll methinks.

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav (Post 35335197)
I'm willing to pay a big fat....zero.

If VM strike a carriage deal with Sky that allows for 'free' access to VM customers, then that's all well and good. I'll continue to watch F1 (whilst grinding my teeth at "the full Sky Sports treatment" they're giving it)

However, it still doesn't help the legions of F1 fans who will only be able to access half a season on the BBC ( " 'kin splitters " to quote Monty Python).

If this channel isn't carried on VM then I'm afraid I'll be doing what many, many more F1 fans will be doing next year....sourcing F1 by 'alternative' means, or giving up on it altogether. F1 is an all or nothing sport. There is no compromise.

What 'alternative' means?

Just wondering!

joff81 25-11-2011 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35335198)
i doubt there will be an extra charge for this channel but i can see if going in the SS pack instead of normal XL pack

It doesn't want to be as I F1 and Motorsport is the only sport I watch. I don't subscribe to SS as it has too much focus on football with I hate with a passion.

Putting the new sky F1 channel as free but only with a SS subcription would really annoy me so much as I refuse to for SS. I would be willing to pay for the F1 channel as a standalone for £10 as long as the HD channel is included but am not willing to for for a SD only channel.

It either needs to be free for both HD and SD on XL TV or SD at the very least free to XL just to keep the Ex BBC viewers happy, if not I can see big problems for VM as F1 has a massive fan base and has been free for as long as I've watched it .

Gavin-D 25-11-2011 17:08

The BBC has announced it's plans for the 2012 season,

LIVE RACES ON THE BBC

15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil

All other races are on Sky Sports F1HD

Of the other 10, there will be extended highlights programmes on BBC One, of either 90-minute or two-hour duration depending on race location.

Races in the Far Eastern time zone will have highlights broadcast on BBC One at 1400, with those in the European time zone getting 90 minutes at 1730.

There will be full live coverage of both qualifying and race on BBC One, BBC One HD and the BBC Sport website, plus a one-hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD.

The presentation team will be at all the races, including those that are not being broadcast live on BBC television. Full details of the team will be revealed at a later date.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/15893254.stm

JayAy 25-11-2011 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35335103)

Thanks for posting the link. How can mere mortals, VM customers I mean, find that sort of news item? There's no link to it that I can find on the site (happy to be corrected) and running a search for SKYF1 finds nothing. It's almost as if VM don't want to tell us what's going on ;)

Anyway I hope we get this in HD.

joff81 25-11-2011 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35335238)
The BBC has announced it's plans for the 2012 season,

LIVE RACES ON THE BBC

15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil

All other races are on Sky Sports F1HD

Of the other 10, there will be extended highlights programmes on BBC One, of either 90-minute or two-hour duration depending on race location.

Races in the Far Eastern time zone will have highlights broadcast on BBC One at 1400, with those in the European time zone getting 90 minutes at 1730.

There will be full live coverage of both qualifying and race on BBC One, BBC One HD and the BBC Sport website, plus a one-hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD.

The presentation team will be at all the races, including those that are not being broadcast live on BBC television. Full details of the team will be revealed at a later date.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/15893254.stm

What a crock of crap !!!!

Other than Britain and Brazil the rest are utter bore fests if the last few seasons are anything to go by. Looks like SKY picked the best races where the action happens and left the BBC with the crumbs.

This poor list should give VM even more incentive to get the SS F1 channel on a free deal and not tied to a SS subcription, if I can see lots of unhappy people moving to Sky due to the BBC screw over. With over 10 million avarage viewers per race in the last 2 seasons it's a lot of potential customers to loose to Sky if VM don't get a decent carriage deal all for penny pinching.

Digital Fanatic 25-11-2011 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayAy (Post 35335252)
Thanks for posting the link. How can mere mortals, VM customers I mean, find that sort of news item? There's no link to it that I can find on the site (happy to be corrected) and running a search for SKYF1 finds nothing. It's almost as if VM don't want to tell us what's going on ;)

Anyway I hope we get this in HD.

For some reason it's not linking from the Customer News Page. It's a link we've been advised to give customers who enquire about the channel.

Might be one for BenMcr to pick up? :)

HDFootyMan 25-11-2011 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35335265)
For some reason it's not linking from the Customer News Page. It's a link we've been advised to give customers who enquire about the channel.

Might be one for BenMcr to pick up? :)

See, this is exactly the sort of info which VM should be providing via TiVo's message service.

Don't send the customers to the message. Send the message to the customers. ;)

Digital Fanatic 25-11-2011 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35335275)
See, this is exactly the sort of info which VM should be providing via TiVo's message service.

Is it in Customer News on TiVo? I haven't checked, but there is a Help portal with a news section.

I could see customers complaining though about getting messaged to their TiVo direct (you know the kind! :D ) ... although I do think it's a good idea :)

zekeisaszekedoes 25-11-2011 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35335275)

In TiVo style:

:tu::tu::tu:

Couple of messages a week with pertinent news would do no harm at all. That's why the feature is there, after all.

Alan Fry 25-11-2011 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by joff81 (Post 35335254)
What a crock of crap !!!!

Other than Britain and Brazil the rest are utter bore fests if the last few seasons are anything to go by. Looks like SKY picked the best races where the action happens and left the BBC with the crumbs.

This poor list should give VM even more incentive to get the SS F1 channel on a free deal and not tied to a SS subcription, if I can see lots of unhappy people moving to Sky due to the BBC screw over. With over 10 million avarage viewers per race in the last 2 seasons it's a lot of potential customers to loose to Sky if VM don't get a decent carriage deal all for penny pinching.

And VM better get both SD and HD versions of Sky Sports F1 HD

Gavin-D 25-11-2011 20:16

Sky Sports F1 3D anyone?

Just saw this on Twitter

Hi Andrew the 2012 season will not be broadcast in 3D unfortunately, further seasons are still to be confirmed though.

Would not suprise me if Sky get the 3D coverage in the future.

zekeisaszekedoes 25-11-2011 20:23

3D is lame, I wish the big studios would stop shilling it

jb66 25-11-2011 20:34

What's the bloody point, we have ss1234 we don't need any more, there is one reason only for this and that's to stop virgin getting it

Risco 25-11-2011 20:36

I will not pay a single penny more for F1HD channel! I bet you Virgin users will get shafter with the SD version. :mad:

dav 25-11-2011 20:55

If VM don't add Sky F1 then F1 can F-itself. Don't be under any illusion that Sky are in control here. The wrinkled, money-grabbing old hand of Bernie Ecclestone is pulling the strings here. He gets to decide who sees it and for how much.
If he doesn't want UK F1 audience figures to drop through the floor he needs to make a few calls.

I think he knew all along that Sky would broadcast their races on a channel other than Sky Sports so that it has a wider reach. When the deal was announced he said Sky has 10 million subscribers...they may do, but only a couple of million of those take SS. He knew what was happening and Ithink the silly old duffer let a small cat out of the bag there.

JayAy 25-11-2011 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risco (Post 35335389)
I bet you Virgin users will get shafter with the SD version. :mad:

Probably with a specially reduced bit rate too.

HDFootyMan 26-11-2011 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav (Post 35335398)
When the deal was announced he said Sky has 10 million subscribers...they may do, but only a couple of million of those take SS.

I thought over half of that 10 million take Sky Sports?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayAy (Post 35335444)
Probably with a specially reduced bit rate too.

There's also red button for that channel to consider as well.

muppetman11 26-11-2011 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35335598)
I thought over half of that 10 million take Sky Sports?

There's also red button for that channel to consider as well.

It is available on Sky to people who take the HD pack many of who don't have Sky Sports.

nstokes 26-11-2011 12:33

i tweeted skysportsf1 to see if they know how long before us VM customer know if we will get the channel and they do not have a timescale at this time

Jameseh 26-11-2011 13:08

No Canada or Australia on the BBC, what a shame.

Alan Fry 26-11-2011 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35335653)
No Canada or Australia on the BBC, what a shame.

This is why the BBC should take control of the licence fee, so it has a better chance of winning sports rights like F1!

Skie 26-11-2011 14:25

I notice that the "no adverts" and "uninterrupted" blurbs are all cleverly worded to avoid stating that there will be adverts in the build-up, during Quali, right before the start of a race and right after the flag.

Only the race itself is uninterrupted. Everything else is a fire sale.

Chad 26-11-2011 14:37

I called Virgin this morning and noticed they have a recorded message regarding the new F1 channel. The message confirms they are actively in talks with SKY to bring the channel to Virgin.

Also if you consider virgin also have a page on their website confirming the same thing, I'm pretty sure Virgin will getting access to the channel. It's not often Virgin will put together a recorded message and create a dedicated web page for a channel unless they are confident of agreeing a carriage deal.

SKY Atlantic never got his fanfare! I'm sure if we remain patient full details of who will be able to access what in regards to the new F1 channel will be made very clear by Virgin.

P.S. Nowhere in any of the SKY press releases does it suggest the new channel is a SKY exclusive. Another good sign for Virgin customers.

Turkey Machine 26-11-2011 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35335678)
This is why the BBC should take control of the licence fee, so it has a better chance of winning sports rights like F1!

Um, it is?

Kingofthedead4 26-11-2011 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35335695)
I called Virgin this morning and noticed they have a recorded message regarding the new F1 channel. The message confirms they are actively in talks with SKY to bring the channel to Virgin.

Also if you consider virgin also have a page on their website confirming the same thing, I'm pretty sure Virgin will getting access to the channel. It's not often Virgin will put together a recorded message and create a dedicated web page for a channel unless they are confident of agreeing a carriage deal.

SKY Atlantic never got his fanfare! I'm sure if we remain patient full details of who will be able to access what in regards to the new F1 channel will be made very clear by Virgin.

P.S. Nowhere in any of the SKY press releases does it suggest the new channel is a SKY exclusive. Another good sign for Virgin customers.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

muppetman11 26-11-2011 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35335695)

I agree with you I believe it will be available for free to VM Sky Sports subscribers however some people think it will be free in XL which personally I can't see in a million years but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Chad 26-11-2011 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35335703)
I agree with you I believe it will be available for free to VM Sky Sports subscribers however some people think it will be free in XL which personally I can't see in a million years but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

I think it'll be free if you either have SKY Sports or if you don't have SKY Sports then SKY Movies plus the £7.00 SKY HD package. I agree that this won't be added to TV XL.

Sirius 26-11-2011 14:50

Quote:

£10 to £20 maybe

:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35335166)
A fool and his money are soon parted.:)

:tu:

joff81 26-11-2011 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35335704)
I think it'll be free if you either have SKY Sports or if you don't have SKY Sports then SKY Movies plus the £7.00 SKY HD package. I agree that this won't be added to TV XL.

or needs to be added as a stand alone subscription. i and lots of others are not going to pay for SS or SM just to receive the SS F1 channel. if its included in XL tv awesome but I refuse to pay for channels I will not watch just for F1. I would be willing to pay £5 - £10 PER MONTH as long as the HD version is included.

Chad 26-11-2011 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by joff81 (Post 35335709)
or needs to be added as a stand alone subscription. i and lots of others are not going to pay for SS or SM just to receive the SS F1 channel. if its included in XL tv awesome but I refuse to pay for channels I will not watch just for F1. I would be willing to pay £5 - £10 PER MONTH as long as the HD version is included.

I suppose that is another option.