Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky MultiRoom - Any installers on here? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33682812)

Tricky 16-11-2011 23:29

Sky MultiRoom - Any installers on here?

I have SKYHD and have been a sky customer since the analog days! I want to get multi room installed but the upstairs bedroom is in a converted loft space and has NO external walls (I.e. the main wall backs onto neighbour, roof is accessible but not at floor level.)

What would happen if I booked Multi room installation?

Martyn 17-11-2011 02:28

Re: Sky MultiRoom - Any installers on here?

they would go up from the room below?

iain_herts 17-11-2011 18:40

once sky turn up he will cancel on the spot if there are no walls to the out side a sky installer will not install if you want it installed find a local independent installer

Tricky 18-11-2011 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by iain_herts (Post 35331650)
once sky turn up he will cancel on the spot if there are no walls to the out side a sky installer will not install if you want it installed find a local independent installer

Suspected that might be the case :-(

thunderlips 24-01-2012 18:43

if you order multiroom and you only got a phone socket downstairs do sky engineers install phone extensions ? or is it down to the home owner ?

iain_herts 24-01-2012 19:13

when i worked for sky at the time we had run any extensions needed but if its not easy to run them we would tell the customer they had to have it done them selfs and i still thinks it still applies

muppetman11 24-01-2012 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35368640)
if you order multiroom and you only got a phone socket downstairs do sky engineers install phone extensions ? or is it down to the home owner ?

I believe you can now use a wireless phone extender but you would have to purchase it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000...SIN=B000NJQHL4

Maybe ian_herts could advise I believe he worked as a Sky installer.

pabscars 24-01-2012 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky (Post 35331286)
I have SKYHD and have been a sky customer since the analog days! I want to get multi room installed but the upstairs bedroom is in a converted loft space and has NO external walls (I.e. the main wall backs onto neighbour, roof is accessible but not at floor level.)

What would happen if I booked Multi room installation?

If you have an xbox 360 you could watch Sky on that in your converted loft space for free I think, and without the hassle of running extra cables.

just a thought

muppetman11 24-01-2012 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabscars (Post 35368693)
If you have an xbox 360 you could watch Sky on that in your converted loft space for free I think, and without the hassle of running extra cables.

just a thought

That's actually a good suggestion , you can use one of your two registered Sky Go devices and it costs you nothing.

pabscars 24-01-2012 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35368697)
That's actually a good suggestion , you can use one of your two registered Sky Go devices and it costs you nothing.

No need to sound so surprised muppetman, I do occasionally have these little sparks of inspiration :D

muppetman11 24-01-2012 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabscars (Post 35368709)
No need to sound so surprised muppetman, I do occasionally have these little sparks of inspiration :D

LOL :D dont doubt you excellent suggestion.

thunderlips 24-01-2012 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by iain_herts (Post 35368669)
when i worked for sky at the time we had run any extensions needed but if its not easy to run them we would tell the customer they had to have it done them selfs and i still thinks it still applies

cheers for that ! on VM at the moment, contract is up and was looking at SKY website, !

Tricky 25-01-2012 20:45

I have found a way to get a cable into the room I need, if I do the main bits would Sky Connect onto my cable if required or am I easier booking an independent to come sort it? Need someone as recent winds have "loosened" the arm with the LMB on so getting some picture breakup on a small breeze now!!!

iain_herts 25-01-2012 21:20

tricky will this be ur first multi room box as at the moment sky will offer you a free extra box which will be a skyHD not a skyHD+ box for £60 set-up or a Sky+HD 1TB for £49 + £60 setup cost.

this option will be cheaper and they will also look as ur dish for you

thunderlips 29-01-2012 00:08

do you get anytime+ box with all boxes from sky like sky hd box and multiroom boxes ?

Doz007 29-01-2012 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35371242)
do you get anytime+ box with all boxes from sky like sky hd box and multiroom boxes ?

I don't think so, Anytime+ relies on the content being downloaded to the local HDD of your box in order to play and the SkyHD multi room box doesn't have a HDD. :(

muppetman11 29-01-2012 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35371242)

It would appear the answer is yes if you have Sky+HD boxes however if this link is anything to go by it would appear it can sometimes require a few calls to Sky
http://www.sRkyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-...-hd-boxes.html

thunderlips 29-01-2012 10:09

just spoken to a sky advisor, told me the wirless anytime box is £60 each ! what i was looking for a sk + hd box downstairs, 3 multiroom boxes, = £240 !

spiderplant 29-01-2012 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371297)
I don't think so, Anytime+ relies on the content being downloaded to the local HDD of your box in order to play and the SkyHD multi room box doesn't have a HDD. :(

It also needs an Ethernet port, so won't work on Sky+ and earlier boxes.

(Your link is broken, MM)

muppetman11 29-01-2012 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35371336)
It also needs an Ethernet port, so won't work on Sky+ and earlier boxes.

(Your link is broken, MM)

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-a...-hd-boxes.html

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35371334)
just spoken to a sky advisor, told me the wirless anytime box is £60 each ! what i was looking for a sk + hd box downstairs, 3 multiroom boxes, = £240 !

Why not just use these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004...SIN=B004INVKP4

To be fair multiroom is an area VM are cheaper though in my experience.

Doz007 29-01-2012 11:11

Will those power line & home plugs work if they're plugged into an extension rather than directly into the socket?

muppetman11 29-01-2012 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371360)
Will those power line & home plugs work if they're plugged into an extension rather than directly into the socket?

I think they do although I believe surge protected extensions are the exception to the rule.

Quote:

What stops HomePlug from working, will they work with extension Lead?
Avoid surge protected / Filtered mains extension blocks as these block the HomePlug signal. Long extension leads will degrade the signal so it is best practice to plug the HomePlug directly into a wall socket. I personally have one HomePlug in the wall socket and one plugged into a 4 gang and achieve 115mbs approx. There are also various threads around the net that highlight issues with switched power devices such as phone chargers and hairdryers. Unplugging phone chargers can also increase performance. Be aware that if you have BT Vision you may already have Comtrend's (DS2 based) 200mbs adapter in your package. Be carefull if buying additional powerline units - you may need to buy compatible DS2 based products.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/netwo...eplug-faq.html

thunderlips 29-01-2012 11:34

cheers for that MM, think il stick to VM !

muppetman11 29-01-2012 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35371371)
cheers for that MM, think il stick to VM !

As I've said probaly the best choice for the amount of boxes you have , VM are excellent on their multiroom pricing and there are no restrictions to have STB connected to a phoneline. Taking all Sky services will usually result in a similar price to VM for 1 box maybe even 2 but usually more will result in VM being your cheapest option.

thunderlips 29-01-2012 11:42

thats true MM ! VM are good with there multiroom boxes keep the kids out of the way lol !

Doz007 29-01-2012 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35371374)
As I've said probaly the best choice for the amount of boxes you have , VM are excellent on their multiroom pricing and there are no restrictions to have STB connected to a phoneline. Taking all Sky services will usually result in a similar price to VM for 1 box maybe even 2 but usually more will result in VM being your cheapest option.

Is this an actual requirement? I've heard varying reports online and know 2 people who haven't got there multi room box connected to a phone line. :confused:

muppetman11 29-01-2012 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371380)
Is this an actual requirement? I've heard varying reports online and know 2 people who haven't got there multi room box connected to a phone line. :confused:

Yes it is and I believe they police it as a friend had a letter telling him he needed to connect his , I'm going to buy a wireless phoneline extender if I decide to book a multiroom install next month.

Doz007 29-01-2012 14:30

wow, so to have Sky in 3 rooms i'd need to have a phone line installed in each one or buy one of those wireless things?

Would the engineer/installer actually installed 3 phone points at the same time as the dish and boxes?

muppetman11 29-01-2012 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371472)
wow, so to have Sky in 3 rooms i'd need to have a phone line installed in each one or buy one of those wireless things?

Would the engineer/installer actually installed 3 phone points at the same time as the dish and boxes?

Not sure , it's part of Sky offering you a reduced sub on your multiroom boxes 10.25 instead of full sub , think about it if they didn't police it you would have situations where people would order a multiroom box for use in a friend/relatives house at the bargain price of 10.25 thats why Sky require it to be connected to the phoneline so as they can periodically check it's still at the premises were the landline is at. This is how it was explained recently on DS anyway.

Doz007 29-01-2012 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35371477)
Not sure , it's part of Sky offering you a reduced sub on your multiroom boxes 10.25 instead of full sub , think about it if they didn't police it you would have situations where people would order a multiroom box for use in a friend/relatives house at the bargain price of 10.25 thats why Sky require it to be connected to the phoneline so as they can periodically check it's still at the premises were the landline is at. This is how it was explained recently on DS anyway.

Yeah, I've not thought of people using multi-room in a separate house before. I can see how that would be a major problem for Sky.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as Sky are prepared to install it properly and don't just set up the box and then leave it with no phone line causing me problems in the future.

muppetman11 29-01-2012 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371501)
Yeah, I've not thought of people using multi-room in a separate house before. I can see how that would be a major problem for Sky.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as Sky are prepared to install it properly and don't just set up the box and then leave it with no phone line causing me problems in the future.

How many boxes do you have ? I'm going down the wireless extender route I know it's at my cost but it's neater.

Doz007 29-01-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35371506)
How many boxes do you have ? I'm going down the wireless extender route I know it's at my cost but it's neater.

I have 3 boxes with VM at the moment and would like to keep the same amount when I move to Sky. I'm still not convinced about leaving my 50mb (soon to be 100mb) broadband behind though. In this case, where I just have TV with Sky & no BB or phone line; Do they still allow you to take multi-room?

muppetman11 29-01-2012 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371511)
I have 3 boxes with VM at the moment and would like to keep the same amount when I move to Sky. I'm still not convinced about leaving my 50mb (soon to be 100mb) broadband behind though. In this case, where I just have TV with Sky & no BB or phone line; Do they still allow you to take multi-room?

I'd hang fire mate and wait until Sky open Anytime+ upto other ISP's then you could keep your VM BB if you wanted and still get OD , I believe with TV only you can still have multiroom.

Doz007 29-01-2012 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35371514)
I'd hang fire mate and wait until Sky open Anytime+ upto other ISP's then you could keep your VM BB if you wanted and still get OD , I believe with TV only you can still have multiroom.

Yeah, I don't think it will be too long before the allow other ISPs to access Anytime+. With it being a VM phone line, I wasn't sure if that was acceptable. If I ever put my number in Sky's or BT's website it comes back showing nothing at all as though the number doesn't exist. Will the Sky boxes still be able to call home?

muppetman11 29-01-2012 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371523)
Yeah, I don't think it will be too long before the allow other ISPs to access Anytime+. With it being a VM phone line, I wasn't sure if that was acceptable. If I ever put my number in Sky's or BT's website it comes back showing nothing at all as though the number doesn't exist. Will the Sky boxes still be able to call home?

I had Sky installed initially on a VM phoneline with no issues at all , if you need fast Internet VM will serve you better currently than Sky can , I personally have no need for 50/100mb speed as I basically browse/email , stream iplayer , Anytime+ , Netflix all of which my line copes with easily and I like the thought of no traffic management.

Doz007 29-01-2012 17:37

That's pretty much all I do along with downloading games on Steam, Xbox Live etc as well as HD movies from iTunes. Does 9mb allow you to stream HD movies? I do rent a lot of HD movies on Apple TV so a decent reliable connection is an absolute must.

muppetman11 29-01-2012 18:04

Mine streams with no issues at all , but obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your line.

thunderlips 29-01-2012 19:26

i have 3 multiroom boxes with VM thats why i was asking about the wirless conecter for sky anytime+ i have many firends who have switched to sky from VM and they all said best thing they ever done and yet i have looked on the net and read some horror stories about people switching !

muppetman11 29-01-2012 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35371705)
i have 3 multiroom boxes with VM thats why i was asking about the wirless conecter for sky anytime+ i have many firends who have switched to sky from VM and they all said best thing they ever done and yet i have looked on the net and read some horror stories about people switching !

It's like anything VM will better for some were Sky will be better for others. I choose Sky because as a Sky world subscriber I receive Sky 3D free and all my sports channels in HD plus a superior range of mobile apps however I never had any issues bar contention with my BB when with VM and would consider returning if things changed.

thunderlips 29-01-2012 20:02

i know what you mean MM its just taking that step, and that old saying frightend of jumping out of the frying pan into the fire ! lol

muppetman11 29-01-2012 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35371730)
i know what you mean MM its just taking that step, and that old saying frightend of jumping out of the frying pan into the fire ! lol

Trust me if your happy with VM then don't move , they offer a good service and as you have 3 boxes they'll probably save you money, what's the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

thunderlips 29-01-2012 20:10

you know what MM your totaly right !

Alan Fry 30-01-2012 12:47

How many Sky STBS can you have?

Can you have muiltple Dishes?

muppetman11 30-01-2012 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35372091)

Why would you need multiple dishes an octo LNB will feed 4 STB's.

Alan Fry 30-01-2012 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35372127)
Why would you need multiple dishes an octo LNB will feed 4 STB's.

I am just asking!

denphone 30-01-2012 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35371736)
you know what MM your totaly right !

The great man is always right.:tu:

Doz007 30-01-2012 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35372091)

I have thought about this myself in the past. Sky's website allows 4 boxes whilst VM's only allows 3.

I can understand Sky's limitation but is there anything that I'm missing as to why VM can only manage the 3?

muppetman11 30-01-2012 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35372275)
I have thought about this myself in the past. Sky's website allows 4 boxes whilst VM's only allows 3.

I can understand Sky's limitation but is there anything that I'm missing as to why VM can only manage the 3?

Don't know about VM but Sky will fit an octo LNB which will feed upto 4 Sky+HD boxes.

spiderplant 30-01-2012 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35372275)

The VM limit is 6 boxes. Give CS a call if the website won't let you order more than 3.

Doz007 30-01-2012 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35372314)
The VM limit is 6 boxes. Give CS a call if the website won't let you order more than 3.

Cheers for that Spiderplant. I've already got 3 boxes which is enough for me; the question came more out of curiousity really. Is 6 boxes the technical limitation of VMs network then?

spiderplant 31-01-2012 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35372350)
Cheers for that Spiderplant. I've already got 3 boxes which is enough for me; the question came more out of curiousity really. Is 6 boxes the technical limitation of VMs network then?

It's mainly a commercial decision, but with some technical sense behind it.