Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Router set up help (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=32666)

MadGamer 28-07-2005 23:39

Router set up help

Right im online with the BT Voyager 2100 ADSL Wireless router. I have managed to het online, and i also followed the instructions acording to the manual. But i dont think i have set it up properly. Ive set Windows to obtain an IP Address and DNS Server address automatically, but i still dont think im safe.

Tezcatlipoca 28-07-2005 23:43

Re: Router set up help

You say you followed the instructions, & you've managed to get online.

So why do you think you haven't set it up properly?

And you "don't think you're safe"?

FAQ for the router: http://www.voyager.bt.com/faqs/wirel...xp/2100faq.htm

Article about securing a wireless network: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

MadGamer 28-07-2005 23:58

Its asking for hexadecimal digits, could i be shown an example?

Raistlin 29-07-2005 00:44

In the router there should be an option to generate a WEP key.

Usually you put in a pass phrase and the router will then give you a choice of keys (these are the hexidecimal keys).

Simply choose one of these, tell the router which to use, tell your wireless card which one you're using, and then tell it which one of the keys this relates to on your router (the keys are normally numbered - if you pick key 1 from the routers choices you need to tell your wireless connection on the PC that you are using key index #1).

Chris 29-07-2005 10:09

Alternatively, choose WPA security rather than WEP. It's better security and you don't have to muck about with Hex keys, you just set a password. Presuming the router can handle WPA of course ... :)

MadGamer 29-07-2005 13:51

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
Alternatively, choose WPA security rather than WEP. It's better security and you don't have to muck about with Hex keys, you just set a password. Presuming the router can handle WPA of course ... :)

Sorry for the rather late response, it lost all the setting when i booted up this morning. Ill try WPA. Ok heres the page i have.

EDIT: ok i have tested my security with the diagnostics tools and here are the results. (2nd screenshot)

MadGamer 29-07-2005 23:46

UPDATE: This is what i have enabled:

Hide Wireless Network (Hide SSID)
Encryption: (WPA SPK)
DHCP Server: ON
UPnP: ON
IP Filtering: Enabled
DNS Server: Enable Automatic Assigned DNS (ticked)

Is that it or should i take extra steps? I have ZA on the highest setting (Stealth Mode)

The only thing i cannot seem to achieve is putting the routers MAC Address into the MAC Filter. The router just freezes and i have to do a factory reset. I have Googled for answers, but cant find anything.

MadGamer 30-07-2005 14:54

Anyone???

Hom3r 30-07-2005 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne A

Is that it or should i take extra steps? I have ZA on the highest setting (Stealth Mode)

The only thing i cannot seem to achieve is putting the routers MAC Address into the MAC Filter. The router just freezes and i have to do a factory reset. I have Googled for answers, but cant find anything.

The MAC filter is for putting other MACs in not its own one (IE wifi, print servers)

MadGamer 30-07-2005 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.ewles
Quote:

The MAC filter is for putting other MACs in not its own one (IE wifi, print servers)

Ahh right ok, so im safe then from the setup, that i have?

Tezcatlipoca 30-07-2005 17:39

You're unlikely to need UPnP

MadGamer 30-07-2005 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D
You're unlikely to need UPnP

Oh.... why's that then?

Tezcatlipoca 30-07-2005 18:26

Well, OK, it depends on what you use.

It's only worth having UPnP enabled on the router *if* it is also enabled in Windows (requires 2 Services to be enabled & running: "Universal Plug 'N' Play Device Host" & "SSDP Discovery Service") *and* you have other software/hardware which makes use of it.

UPnP wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPNP

ADSLGuide review of the Voyager 2100 (lots of set up info, by the way): http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...oyager2100.asp

And from the ADSLGuide review of the earlier 2000:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...q3/bt-2000.asp

Quote:

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)

The Voyager 2000 supports UPnP which is enabled by default. UPnP is a standard that allows software running on a computer to open/close ports in a NAT router. This functionality is used by software like MSN Messenger that requires a wide range of random ports which makes the use of standard port forwarding impossible. MSN Messenger will run on any NAT based router with functionality limited to text chat, but UPnP makes it possible to hold video and voice conferences. Using UPnP is a two stage process. You must install it as an option in Windows XP as it is not installed by default.
So if you want to do more than just text chatting on MSN, then it can be useful.

I just leave it turned off in XP & on my router.

Gareth 30-07-2005 19:48

Just for info, cause I see a lot of people talking about SSID hiding, here's a great article on why hiding your SSID is pointless and can actually cause degradation of signal strength...

https://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/h...sid_hiding.pdf

MadGamer 31-07-2005 12:25

Ok, heres another prob for you, when i booted up this morning the router forgets to automatically connect to my network and i have to reconfigure it to get on the Internet, how else can i make it remember the settings so that when i boot up, i can just go straight on the Internet?

Raistlin 31-07-2005 12:48

Have you got the SSID broadcast turned on or off?

MadGamer 31-07-2005 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raistlin
Have you got the SSID broadcast turned on or off?

Turned on

Raistlin 31-07-2005 13:20

In post 7 you said

Quote:

I took that to mean that you were hiding the SSID.

Are you hiding it or not?

MadGamer 31-07-2005 13:23

Quote:

In post 7 you said

Quote:

I took that to mean that you were hiding the SSID.

Are you hiding it or not?

Yeah i do have the SSID hidden.

Raistlin 31-07-2005 13:32

Ok, unhide it.

It sounds like your PC is failing to find the connection - probably because the SSID is being hidden.

Mine does exactly the same thing every time I turn hide the SSID.

MadGamer 31-07-2005 13:44

Quote:

Ok, unhide it.

It sounds like your PC is failing to find the connection - probably because the SSID is being hidden.

Mine does exactly the same thing every time I turn hide the SSID.

Ok what about this: What if i was to keep it on for now, but when i shut down, ill turn it off? Then when i boot up tommorow, turn it back on, and just use it while im browsing?

Raistlin 31-07-2005 13:46

Why bother?

I don't understand everybody's fascination with hiding SSID's (I can see why people do it though).

In theory, yes.

You can continue to have it hidden for now, unhide it before you turn your PC off, and then hide it again once everything's connected tomorrow.

Consider this though.....

You hide the SSID to stop people seeing your wireless connection.....
You turn the hiding option off overnight.....
Unless you turn the router off as well people will be able to see the SSID being broadcast overnight, and as you'll be asleep you'll be even less likely to know if someone is using your connection ;)

MadGamer 31-07-2005 13:50

Quote:

Why bother?

I don't understand everybody's fascination with hiding SSID's (I can see why people do it though).

In theory, yes.

You can continue to have it hidden for now, unhide it before you turn your PC off, and then hide it again once everything's connected tomorrow.

Consider this though.....

You hide the SSID to stop people seeing your wireless connection.....
You turn the hiding option off overnight.....
Unless you turn the router off as well people will be able to see the SSID being broadcast overnight, and as you'll be asleep you'll be even less likely to know if someone is using your connection ;)

The router is off as soon as i turn everything off at the mains, i have a plug bank you see so it runs off of that.

Raistlin 31-07-2005 13:53

In that case it should be ok, hide it while you're connected, unhide just before you turn the PC off, re-hide when you turn everything back on and it's all connected :tu:

Give it a try tonight and see how you get on. Any more problems just post back.

Actually, you know what?

Have you got modem, router, PC, all on the same bank?

If you have all three will be powering up at the same time, not a good thing.

The ideal power up order is:

Modem (let the lights settle)
Router (let the lights settle)
PC (let the HDD activity drop to a minimum and then log in)

MadGamer 31-07-2005 13:55

Quote:

In that case it should be ok, hide it while you're connected, unhide just before you turn the PC off, re-hide when you turn everything back on and it's all connected :tu:

Give it a try tonight and see how you get on. Any more problems just post back.

Actually, you know what?

Have you got modem, router, PC, all on the same bank?

If you have all three will be powering up at the same time, not a good thing.

The ideal power up order is:

Modem (let the lights settle)
Router (let the lights settle)
PC (let the HDD activity drop to a minimum and then log in)

No the router has a modem bult in, so i turn the mains on, let the router settle and then boot up the PC.

Raistlin 31-07-2005 13:59

Cool.

Should be ok then :tu:

MadGamer 31-07-2005 16:10

Quote:

Cool.

Should be ok then :tu:

Thanks for your help. :tu: :)

MadGamer 02-08-2005 21:47

I have another problem, when i boot up, i can access the Internet just fine, but when i enable the SSID to Hide, it drops and i cant display any pages, is there actually any need since my machine is up to date with all patches and ZA is set in stealth mod, and also since all the equipment is running off of a plug bank, as soon as i switch off the mains the PC and router gets turned off as well.

Also sometimes even with the SSID hidden i get a secondary connection called Net & Internet, pop up on the avaliable networks list.

nffc 02-08-2005 21:50

you need to tell the PC not to look for the SSID. IIRC, it should do this, after it's connected for the first time, but I'm not entirely sure.

The whole point of NOT broadcasting the SSID is so that it doesn't show up when it scans for NWs!

Raistlin 02-08-2005 21:56

Ok, that second connection "Net and Internet" could be somebody else's wireless connection :)

TBH I don't see the need to hide the SSID provided that you've got the rest of the security set up correctly, but maybe that's just me :shrug:

Hiding it has always caused me more grief than it's seemed to be worth :)

nffc 02-08-2005 21:59

Quote:

TBH I don't see the need to hide the SSID provided that you've got the rest of the security set up correctly, but maybe that's just me :shrug:

I agree with that :)

Changing SSID and P/W, Mac filtering and some form of encryption should be sufficient.

MadGamer 02-08-2005 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by nffc
Quote:

I agree with that :)

Changing SSID and P/W, Mac filtering and some form of encryption should be sufficient.

Let me see if i understand you (nffc) and Raistlin, what your saying is i should disable the SSID, but as long as i switch the equipment off, before i go to bed (Computer and router) i'll be ok with the setup i have?

Raistlin 02-08-2005 22:07

No.

Don't disable the SSID. Disable the option to HIDE the SSID. In other words, make your SSID visible.

You are at no more risk overnight than you are during the day, the fact that you turn it all off at night just means that no one can see your network at that time.

During the day (or while it is switched on) people will be able to see your SSID (and therefore know that your network is there) but, provided that your other security options are setup correctly, you shouldn't be at any significant risk.

MadGamer 02-08-2005 22:10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

No.

Don't disable the SSID. Disable the option to HIDE the SSID. In other words, make your SSID visible.

You are at no more risk overnight than you are during the day, the fact that you turn it all off at night just means that no one can see your network at that time.

During the day (or while it is switched on) people will be able to see your SSID (and therefore know that your network is there) but, provided that your other security options are setup correctly, you shouldn't be at any significant risk.

Sorry i meant t say should i unhide the SSID, which im going to now. I have WPA set up and i have changed the deafult passowrd from the deafult which is admin.

Edit: I keep having a second connection appear called Net & Internet, I can get rid of it, but does it mean someones trying to hack in?

Tezcatlipoca 02-08-2005 23:33

Quote:

I have another problem, when i boot up, i can access the Internet just fine, but when i enable the SSID to Hide, it drops and i cant display any pages, is there actually any need since my machine is up to date with all patches and ZA is set in stealth mod, and also since all the equipment is running off of a plug bank, as soon as i switch off the mains the PC and router gets turned off as well.

Erm, didn't Raistlin effectively already answer a similar question from you in this thread, on Sunday, in which he told you that there was no real reason to hide it, & hiding it could cause connection problems?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7&postcount=20

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...3&postcount=22

Quote:

Edit: I keep having a second connection appear called Net & Internet, I can get rid of it, but does it mean someones trying to hack in?

That is probably simply someone else's connection, which your PC is detecting. Doesn't mean anyone is trying to hack you, just means there's someone else's network in range.

I often see a neighbour's network appear in my list of available wireless networks.

Raistlin has already said...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...2&postcount=30

Quote:

Ok, that second connection "Net and Internet" could be somebody else's wireless connection :)

Raistlin 02-08-2005 23:37

Can I make another suggestion Wayne?

Change the name of your router, at the moment it is set to the default "BTVOYAGER...etc".

If people know what router you are using it makes it easier for them to find vulnerabilities in your network.

Change the name of it (in other words, change the SSID) to something unexciting.

Be warned though, when you change the name your connection will drop and you will have to re-establish it. Make sure that you have made a note of any WEP/WPA keys that you need before you change the name!!

Tezcatlipoca 02-08-2005 23:40

Quote:

Can I make another suggestion Wayne?

Change the name of your router, at the moment it is set to the default "BTVOYAGER...etc".

If people know what router you are using it makes it easier for them to find vulnerabilities in your network.

Change the name of it (in other words, change the SSID) to something unexciting.

Be warned though, when you change the name your connection will drop and you will have to re-establish it. Make sure that you have made a note of any WEP/WPA keys that you need before you change the name!!

Definitely :tu:

You should always change the default SSID etc.

MadGamer 02-08-2005 23:55

Done :D

MadGamer 03-08-2005 09:30

Ok this morning, when i went to boot up, it seems either my PC or the router cannot remember the automatic IP Address assignment, thus i kept on getting "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error, so i had to reset the router, any ideas?

Raistlin 03-08-2005 09:37

Quote:

so i had to reset the router, any ideas?

Manufacturers reset or simply reboot?

If it happens again, and before you reset, check to see what IP address the PC has in the properties for the network card/wireless adaptor.

Then check to see if you can get to the control panel for the router from the PC.

You're going to need to try and do some investigating yourself, resetting the router (while it might have seemes like a great idea at the time) just causes more work for you. It may have been something really simple that you could have sorted in about 5 seconds flat, now you have to set the thing up again from scratch.

MadGamer 03-08-2005 09:50

Quote:

Quote:

so i had to reset the router, any ideas?

Manufacturers reset or simply reboot?

If it happens again, and before you reset, check to see what IP address the PC has in the properties for the network card/wireless adaptor.

Then check to see if you can get to the control panel for the router from the PC.

You're going to need to try and do some investigating yourself, resetting the router (while it might have seemes like a great idea at the time) just causes more work for you. It may have been something really simple that you could have sorted in about 5 seconds flat, now you have to set the thing up again from scratch.

Manufacturers reset, do you think it was because i put the internal wireless cards MAC Address into the MAC Filter? The PC is also set to obtain an IP Address automatically. :)

Raistlin 03-08-2005 09:57

Ummmmm.....

Have you got DHCP turned on or off in the router.

If you have DHCP turned off on the router it won't supply an IP address to the PC, that means that the PC won't be able to get one "automatically" from the router.
You need to tell the PC what IP address it should use.

And NO, MAC filtering does what it says on the tin. It only allows access from the MAC addresses on the control list.

MadGamer 03-08-2005 10:01

Dhcp - On

Raistlin 03-08-2005 10:32

In that case it sounds like something is blocking the DHCP requests from your PC.

Your PC is trying to contact the router to get an IP address, your router is set up to supply one.

If the PC can't communicate with the router it won't be able to get an address.

The most likely culprit for this is your firewall.

I would suggest that you try turning DHCP off and then setting a manual IP address in your network card's properties.

Have a look now and see what address you've got (probably something like 192.168.1.***), make a note of that, the DNS addresses, and the default gateway address.

Now tell your network adaptor to use a specific address, put in all of the details that you just wrote down.

With a bit of luck that should work just fine.

MadGamer 03-08-2005 11:39

Quote:

In that case it sounds like something is blocking the DHCP requests from your PC.

Your PC is trying to contact the router to get an IP address, your router is set up to supply one.

If the PC can't communicate with the router it won't be able to get an address.

The most likely culprit for this is your firewall.

I would suggest that you try turning DHCP off and then setting a manual IP address in your network card's properties.

Have a look now and see what address you've got (probably something like 192.168.1.***), make a note of that, the DNS addresses, and the default gateway address.

Now tell your network adaptor to use a specific address, put in all of the details that you just wrote down.

With a bit of luck that should work just fine.

Ok would the deafult fateway be the same as the IP Address? And what do i use for the DNS servers, as im on AOL by the way so they use dynamic addressing

Raistlin 03-08-2005 12:14

Wayne,

The default gateway address, and DNS server addresses should be listed in the properties for your network card.

Right click on the icon for the card and select Status/Properties. The information you need should be in there somewhere.

MadGamer 03-08-2005 12:26

1 Attachment(s)
Is this right?

Tezcatlipoca 04-08-2005 23:07

Quote:

Is this right?

Partly.

The manual IP, & the default gateway, look OK.

But the alternate DNS server has the same IP as your PC!

If the router has its DHCP server turned on, then change the PC back to "Obtain IP address automatically" & "Obtain DNS automatically". Then note down what you get for the DNS.

Raistlin 04-08-2005 23:14

Quote:

If the router has its DHCP server turned on, then change the PC back to "Obtain IP address automatically" & "Obtain DNS automatically". Then note down what you get for the DNS.

Pretty much what I said here, looks like Wayne got his numbers mixed up somewhere.

Quote:

MadGamer 04-08-2005 23:53

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Is this right?

Partly.

The manual IP, & the default gateway, look OK.

But the alternate DNS server has the same IP as your PC!

Raistlin 04-08-2005 23:56

If you click on "details" it will give you the DNS addresses that you need.

The IP address that you're showing there is DHCP assigned (your router has assigned it), if you turn off the DHCP part of your router you should just be able to fill the details in manually (into the setup for your network connection) exactly as they are on that screen (and the "details" one).

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:05

Quote:

If you click on "details" it will give you the DNS addresses that you need.

The IP address that you're showing there is DHCP assigned (your router has assigned it), if you turn off the DHCP part of your router you should just be able to fill the details in manually (into the setup for your network connection) exactly as they are on that screen (and the "details" one).

What ive done:

1) Set the connection to get IP and DNS automatically
2) Turned off DHCP and manually entered the IP Address of my router
3) Rebooted router

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:08

Quote:

What ive done:

Ok.

Quote:

:erm: I'm assuming that you mean you manually entered the addresses that had previously been given to your PC by the router?

Quote:

3) Rebooted router

Ok, so now you have a stable network connection and you can access the internet yes?

Tezcatlipoca 05-08-2005 00:11

Have you actually found the DNS info yet?

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:11

Quote:

Quote:

What ive done:

Ok.

Quote:

:erm: I'm assuming that you mean you manually entered the addresses that had previously been given to your PC by the router?

Quote:

3) Rebooted router

Ok, so now you have a stable network connection and you can access the internet yes?

Ive entered both the Primary and secondary DNS in my routers config page as the routers IP address both times. Should it be:

Primary DNS: Router IP
Secondary DNS: PC IP

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:15

Quote:

Ive entered both the Primary and secondary DNS in my routers config page as the routers IP address both times. Should it be:

Wayne,

The Domain Name Server (DNS) looks up the web addresses that you type into your browser and converts them to IP addresses that the internet servers understand.

Your router cannot act as a DNS, entering the address of your router (or your PC) into those fields in your router will balls it up.

You need to enter them into the correct fields on the properties page for your Network adaptor.

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click on the icon for your network adaptor (the wireless one if you're connecting wirelessly, the ethernet one if that's how you're connected)

Click on "Internet Protocal TCP/IP"

Click Properties

Select "Use the following IP address"

You should have written down all of the information from earlier on - enter it in these boxes.

You don't need to enter the DNS addresses into your router, it will obtain those when it gets the IP address from your ISP.

Tezcatlipoca 05-08-2005 00:17

Quote:

NO!

Have you actually absorbed anything that Raistlin has been saying?

- Turn ON the router's DHCP server.

- Set your PC to "Obtain IP address automatically" & "Obtain DNS Server addresses automatically".

- Note down what the IPs are (in the *details* section of the connection - you know where it is as you posted an earlier screenshot of it).

Then....

- Turn OFF the router's DHCP server.

- Manually assign the IP address, Default Gateway address, & DNS server addresses in your *PC's connection*.

A manual IP should probably be something like 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2 up to .99 are often used for manual IPs, and .100 & above used for DHCP assigned IPs. But the ranges depend on what the router is set for). The default gateway IP is the router IP (192.168.1.1). And the DNS server IPs are *what you should have found earlier*.

You *shouldn't* use the PC's own IP as one of the DNS server IPs - as I told you earlier in this very thread.

You *shouldn't* specify DNS addresses in the router - specify in the PC, *if* you know what they are.

The router itself should *automatically* obtain an IP from your broadband provider - and *automatically* obtain your provider's DNS server addresses.

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:19

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne,

The Domain Name Server (DNS) looks up the web addresses that you type into your browser and converts them to IP addresses that the internet servers understand.

Your router cannot act as a DNS, entering the address of your router (or your PC) into those fields in your router will balls it up.

You need to enter them into the correct fields on the properties page for your Network adaptor.

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click on the icon for your network adaptor (the wireless one if you're connecting wirelessly, the ethernet one if that's how you're connected)

Click on "Internet Protocal TCP/IP"

Click Properties

Select "Use the following IP address"

You should have written down all of the information from earlier on - enter it in these boxes.

You don't need to enter the DNS addresses into your router, it will obtain those when it gets the IP address from your ISP.

Ok, I have got down to the part where you enter the DNS info but, its asking for the secondary one, which i dont understand.

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:21

1 Attachment(s)
When you allowed your PC to get the IP address automatically from your router it will have obtained 2 DNS addresses.

You wrote these down.

You need to input them into those boxes.

Here's a picture of mine:

Tezcatlipoca 05-08-2005 00:22

Quote:

Ok, I have got down to the part where you enter the DNS info but, its asking for the secondary one, which i dont understand.

Please... just read the earlier posts.

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:28

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

When you allowed your PC to get the IP address automatically from your router it will have obtained 2 DNS addresses.

You wrote these down.

You need to input them into those boxes.

Here's a picture of mine:

Ok so mine should look like this

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:32

Ok, I see the confusion now (and it's partly my fault - sorry).

When you set your manual connection up enter all of the details it asks for as they are on that screen shot, except the DNS addresses.

So you should have:

IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.4.100
Secondary DNS: 192.168.8.100

See if that helps.

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:37

I entered that info, and it didnt work.

EDIT: why 192.168.1.3? I have 192.168.1.2

Tezcatlipoca 05-08-2005 00:38

Quote:

Are you quoting the ntl DNS IPs?

They start with "194" not "192"

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:38

Have you still got DHCP turned on in the router control panel?

Have you still got any DNS specified in the router control panel.

Have you diconnected form the connection and re-connected?

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:39

Quote:

Have you still got DHCP turned on in the router control panel?

Have you still got any DNS specified in the router control panel.

Have you diconnected form the connection and re-connected?

Nope
Nope

Connection re establishes automatically

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:39

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, you know what....you're absolutely right - that's probably why it didn't work.

My bad, all I can say in my defence is that I'm very tired tonight :(

Matt's right Wayne, the addresses should start 194 not 192 - sorry :(

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:40

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, you know what....you're absolutely right - that's probably why it didn't work.

My bad, all I can say in my defence is that I'm very tired tonight :(

Matt's right Wayne, the addresses should start 194 not 192 - sorry :
(

Im not on NTL, im with AOL

Tezcatlipoca 05-08-2005 00:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I entered that info, and it didnt work.

Does your router's admin interface have a page where it gives you connection info?

If so, it should tell you there what the DNS server addresses are.

e,g, here is mine:

(edited to remove IP & MAC etc. Also, my DNS servers are the ntl ones, as I use ntl. I don't know if you'd be able to use them for your connection or not - but you need to find what your own ones are anyway)

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:45

Quote:

I thought you'd got rid of AOL?

Try:

and

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:45

Quote:

Quote:

No, i just dont have to use the browser anymore, in that case as its a dynamic IP addy, shall i set Windows to obtain automatically.

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:48

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, i just dont have to use the browser anymore, in that case as its a dynamic IP addy, shall i set Windows to obtain automatically.

No need, your router will obtain the newest IP address for you - all we need to do is get your PC talking to the router properly.

Try the new addresses I've posted above.

MadGamer 05-08-2005 00:53

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No need, your router will obtain the newest IP address for you - all we need to do is get your PC talking to the router properly.

Try the new addresses I've posted above.

Nope, heres what i enter:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Deafult Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: As above in your post
Secondary DNS: As above in your post

Raistlin 05-08-2005 00:55

Ok, one last try:

dns-01.ns.aol.com

and

dns-02.ns.aol.com

If that doesn't work then you may just have to go back to letting Windows get one automatically from the router.

SMHarman 05-08-2005 08:51

Can you install a router with AOL?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74
mentions issues about AOL and NTL cable, but I recall Wayne has ADSL.

Wayne - Who is your ISP?

MadGamer 05-08-2005 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman
Can you install a router with AOL?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74
mentions issues about AOL and NTL cable, but I recall Wayne has ADSL.

Wayne - Who is your ISP?

AOL, though when the contract ends i'll be moving back to Demon.

MadGamer 05-08-2005 20:09

*Bump*

Tezcatlipoca 05-08-2005 20:34

Quote:

*Bump*

Why bump when there are still posts, with suggestions, which you haven't replied to?

Have you tried this: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...4&postcount=69

Or this: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7&postcount=74

etc.

Are you still having problems with it?

Raistlin 05-08-2005 20:35

Wayne,

I take it that you didn't get it working using a fixed IP.

As I said last night, if we can't get it working that way the best thing that you can do is go back to having your router dynamicaly provide an IP address for each of your machines:

Turn the DHCP function on on your router

Set both of your machines so that they obtain an IP address automatically

MadGamer 05-08-2005 21:01

Thanks for all your suggestions, reps on the way Raistlin and Matt, but i had to revert to Windows Issuing an IP and DNS address for the router. I gather there is nothing wrong in doing this?

EDIT: Seems i cant rep Raist. :(

Tezcatlipoca 05-08-2005 21:03

Quote:

Thanks for all your suggestions, reps on the way Raistlin and Matt, but i had to revert to Windows Issuing an IP and DNS address for the router. I gather there is nothing wrong in doing this?

EDIT: Seems i cant rep Raist. :(

Nothing wrong with it at all.

So long as you turn the router's DHCP server back on, then Windows should be able to pick up an IP address & the DNS addresses from it.

Raistlin 05-08-2005 21:04

Quote:

Nope, nothing wrong with doing it at all.