Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685585)

Bentex 13-02-2012 19:49

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

I just cancelled my SKY+ HD service. As I've had a change in circumstances and can no longer afford Sky Sports, ESPN etc.

I noticed that if I get Tivo with M+ it's only 10 quid a month more (with my existing broadband L and phone M). This is very tempting for me as I cannot live without a PVR and Sky Sports News! But I also get channels I occasional watch such as Sky1 (an idiot abroad) and Eurosport 1/2 (football). Seem it's the ideal package. Taking into account the catch up and other services on offer too!

It's just my last Virgin media STB was useless. Painfully S-L-O-W and noisy! Crackling during quiet suspense moments in movies is a real put off!!

I don't want to be stuck with a box that is going to give me stress! So just a few questions that I hope a few of you will take some time out to give me your opinions.

- What's better on the old V+HD (scientfic atlanta) than the Tivo?
- How does channel changing and menu time compare to the old V+HD box and the SKY+ boxes?
- Does the box have a tendency to lock up?
- How does the picture quality compare (via the scart) to V+HD and SKY+ boxes? (no HD telly yet)
- Can 'catch up' showings be archived to DVD (it was possible with V+HD)
- Does the box get hot in use? Does it need a large ventilation space?
- Anything else that really bugs you! about this box?

Thanks to everyone who has read this post. Please the more people who answer the better idea I have. Feel free to answer whichever question you like.

Regards,

John aka Bentex

jb66 13-02-2012 20:03

Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

The TiVo is light years ahead of the old as v+ which is a very poor box

It's faster than a as v+ slightly slower than sky, mine has never locked up since the latest update.

You have 28 days to try the box and if you hate it you can cancel and get your money back

andy_m 13-02-2012 20:11

It's whisper quiet and has an external power supply unit meaning it doesn't over heat.

Bentex 13-02-2012 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35381461)
You have 28 days to try the box and if you hate it you can cancel and get your money back

This point has probably sealed it for me. You work for VM? If there anyway to not have to pay the installation fee? I heard a whisper if you call to say you're quitting you could get a free upgrade to Tivo.

Does anyone have any info to my question can you record to DVD from the catch up service or from playback or recorded shows?

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35381472)
It's whisper quiet and has an external power supply unit meaning it doesn't over heat.

Great news! I think I have the perfect spot for it ;)

toady 13-02-2012 21:09

The V+ is better if you want the red button services or reminders, neither of which are yet available on the TIVO

Saying that TIVO is light years head of any other STB

sebastion 13-02-2012 21:38

Could any kind and knowledgeable peeps tell me. Whats the average wait for a Tivo install and does it differ from region to region.

jb66 13-02-2012 21:42

It differs from region to region, as it's a 1man job probably within a week, give retentions a all, see what deals they have

SkyFTW 13-02-2012 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35381461)

It's faster than a as v+ slightly slower than sky, mine has never locked up since the latest update.

:erm:

You're setting the guy up for disappointment. Its quite a bit slower than a Sky+HD box.

Peter_ 13-02-2012 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35381576)

You're setting the guy up for disappointment. Its quite a bit slower than a Sky+HD box.

It does a lot more than any SKY box though and they know it.;)

SkyFTW 13-02-2012 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35381579)
It does a lot more than any SKY box though and they know it.;)

Ooh yeah it does do a lot more, but then you'll soon have to pay £5 a month for those features.

devilincarnate 13-02-2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35381582)
Ooh yeah it does do a lot more, but then you'll soon have to pay £5 a month for those features.

It is better than £10.25 for the hd channels that you get for free with VM:erm:

Peter_ 13-02-2012 22:15

Quote:

It does so much more and SKY hate it with a passion.:D

sebastion 13-02-2012 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35381569)
It differs from region to region, as it's a 1man job probably within a week, give retentions a all, see what deals they have

Thanks very much jb66.

Tim Deegan 13-02-2012 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentex (Post 35381452)
I just cancelled my SKY+ HD service. As I've had a change in circumstances and can no longer afford Sky Sports, ESPN etc.

I noticed that if I get Tivo with M+ it's only 10 quid a month more (with my existing broadband L and phone M). This is very tempting for me as I cannot live without a PVR and Sky Sports News! But I also get channels I occasional watch such as Sky1 (an idiot abroad) and Eurosport 1/2 (football). Seem it's the ideal package. Taking into account the catch up and other services on offer too!

It's just my last Virgin media STB was useless. Painfully S-L-O-W and noisy! Crackling during quiet suspense moments in movies is a real put off!!

I don't want to be stuck with a box that is going to give me stress! So just a few questions that I hope a few of you will take some time out to give me your opinions.

- How does channel changing and menu time compare to the old V+HD box and the SKY+ boxes?
- How does the picture quality compare (via the scart) to V+HD and SKY+ boxes? (no HD telly yet)

Thanks to everyone who has read this post. Please the more people who answer the better idea I have. Feel free to answer whichever question you like.

Regards,

John aka Bentex

I've recently changed from Sky+ HD to a Tivo, so I'll help as much as I can:

Quote:

Not sure because I have the Cisco one in my bedroom.

Quote:

Once you get used to the differences from Sky, you will probably find the Tivo far better. There are lots of little improvements, like if you bring the guide up just a few minutes before the hour, it will move on to the next hour, rather than telling you what you have just missed.

Quote:

Mine hasn't done so far. But then my Sky box didn't very often (once it was replaced).

Quote:

Don't know as I use HDMI. There is no point paying for HD, if you don't have a HD TV yet. You can add that package at a later date.

Quote:

I can't help you there. I know it wasn't possible on the Sky+ HD box

Quote:

Mine hasn't been switched off since I got it in December. And I've just checked, and it is hardly warm.

Quote:

There were just a couple of things to start with. But then after asking about them on here, I found that it was just me being a typical bloke, and not reading the instructions.

Personally I think that the Tivo is miles ahead of the Sky+HD box

Bentex 14-02-2012 15:06

Thank you very much for all the replies.

Using Sky Anytime I could record onto my DVD player with it. I don't know why you couldn't and with my old V+HD box I could too. I just couldn't record the TV Choice stuff like the boxsets.

Regarding the speed of channel changing and menu, even if it's not a quick as the latest SKy+ HD boxes. Am I going to get frustrated? Sky+ was lighting quick. A little less speed I can live with. Anything like the old V+HD scientic atlantic I cannot.

I'm told that my bill would be 35 pounds to have Broadband (L) phone (M) and TV with Tivo (M+ and Mutv). Where is the 3 pound or 5 pound Tivo charge I see you writing about? Will that be added so my bill is 38-41 pounds? I'm currently paying around 20 pounds a month for phone and broadband.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

I just called in and I was assured that the price of having a Tivo box will not go up from 3 pounds to 5 pounds.

New to cable 14-02-2012 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35381593)

I don't think Sky are that worried about TiVo to be honest it is basically little more than a connected TV extender but without the good Apps.

A few software upgrades and increase UI speeds, get quality apps and it may become a better offering. But for a user like me who only really uses my STB for watching recording TV, I think for that..my Sky+HD box is better due to more content.

But also my point of view is also bassed on the fact I have "Apps" on my TV, BLUERAY, XBOX360, PS3. So the last thing I want is sky offering them and then saying.."Oh yeah there is a £5 a month increase to pay for them" As I just never use them, well apart from Netflix.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:

I don't think Sky are that worried about TiVo to be honest it is basically little more than a connected TV extender but without the good Apps.

A few software upgrades and increase UI speeds, get quality apps and it may become a better offering. But for a user like me who only really uses my STB for watching recording TV, I think for that..my Sky+HD box is better due to more content.

But also my point of view is based on the fact I have "Apps" on my TV, BLUERAY, XBOX360, PS3. So the last thing I want is sky offering them and then saying.."Oh yeah there is a £5 a month increase to pay for them" As I just never use them, well apart from Netflix.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:

But also my point of view is based on the fact I have "Apps" on my TV, BLUERAY, XBOX360, PS3. So the last thing I want is sky offering them and then saying.."Oh yeah there is a £5 a month increase to pay for them" As I just never use them, well apart from Netflix.

Peter_ 14-02-2012 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35381852)

Are you for real SKY are pig sick that they never signed up all those years ago and realise that Tivo is now the class leader with regards Set Top Boxes in this country.:D

denphone 14-02-2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35381576)

Is it.:)

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:

No £3 a month actually.

muppetman11 14-02-2012 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35381894)
Is it.:)

Yes considerably , but probably due to the fact it's dealing with graphics and other things in the background.

denphone 14-02-2012 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35381896)
Yes considerably , but probably due to the fact it's dealing with graphics and other things in the background.

There speaks a man with total unbiasedness.:D

Firmsky 14-02-2012 17:16

Had my 2nd TiVo fitted today, guide etc is populating a lot faster than when I had the first one fitted last year.

New to cable 14-02-2012 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35381871)
Are you for real SKY are pig sick that they never signed up all those years ago and realise that Tivo is now the class leader with regards Set Top Boxes in this country.:D

Why would Sky be pig sick? Do you really think it pulls a lot of customers?

I just canceled my last Virginmedia service 50Mb BB and they offered me a TiVo free install and activation plus a get deal on price fitted within 2 days. But it just wouldn't make me drop Sky-TV.

I take your word for it that Sky are pig sick though, I guess you must have heard some insider info.

Digital Fanatic 14-02-2012 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35381907)

I just canceled my last Virginmedia service 50Mb BB and they offered me a TiVo free install and activation plus a get deal on price fitted within 2 days. But it just wouldn't make me drop Sky-TV.

I take your word for it that Sky are pig sick though, I guess you must have heard some insider info.

And you've heard the opposite obviously? :rolleyes:

Peter_ 14-02-2012 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35381907)

It is the most popular box in the UK at present and as above customers are ordering more than one because it does more than any SKY box, SKY had the chance years ago but failed to take up the option with Tivo, Epic Fail on Rupert's part.:D

denphone 14-02-2012 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35381909)
It is the most popular box in the UK at present and as above customers are ordering more than one because it does more than any SKY box, they had the option years ago but failed to take up the option with Tivo, Epic Fail on Rupert's part.:D

l will second that and many more are starting to realise that as well.

New to cable 14-02-2012 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35381908)
And you've heard the opposite obviously? :rolleyes:

Nope I haven't heard anything at all.

LexDiamond 14-02-2012 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35381911)
l will second that and many more are starting to realise that as well.

Will it really significantly affect Sky though? It is not a like for like is service as whatever Sky offer is paid for in the basic sub. The question isn't really if Tivo is better (as it is) but really is it the £5 sub better that people will soon be charged?

muppetman11 14-02-2012 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35381932)
Will it really significantly affect Sky though?

Not a chance , I would gladly take TIVO it if offered a content range as good as Sky unfortunately it doesn't and it's app range one of its possible selling points is poor in my opinion.

denphone 14-02-2012 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35381940)
Not a chance , I would gladly take TIVO it if offered a content range as good as Sky unfortunately it doesn't and it's app range one of its possible selling points is poor in my opinion.

But its outselling Sky's boxes massively thus confirming what many believe and that it is to be far superior to Sky's boxes

New to cable 14-02-2012 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35381945)
But its outselling Sky's boxes massively thus confirming what many believe and that it is to be far superior to Sky's boxes

Its not new customers though that's the kicker, its existing V+HD,VHD customers swapping out for a TiVo.

Its like saying the 5 Million+ Sky+HD boxes sold were new customers, most werent. Just like the 270'000 TiVos out there are not all new subscribers. If Sky released a new box tomorrow it would out sell Tivo.

TiVo needs to new sales not up sales.

LexDiamond 14-02-2012 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35381945)

I doubt any of those statistics will prove anything over the long term as over the past year VM have had its current and new customer base to focus on. Once it is only fighting for new customers I doubt there would be much to write home about regarding Tivo outselling Sky+HD.

tridens 14-02-2012 18:44

Hi yes Tivo is better than sky box with all its bells and whistles all i use it for is watching TV and the pvr record function
I don't use the apps or all the other things it can offer so to me its not worth paying £5 pm just to have the record function when they start to charge all customers £5 later this year I'm of to sky
I'm not willing to pay the £5 just to record programs which you can get free with sky and yes i think sky made a big mistake to rip off Tivo all those years before they could have had the same platform

andy_m 14-02-2012 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35381954)
I doubt any of those statistics will prove anything over the long term as over the past year VM have had its current and new customer base to focus on. Once it is only fighting for new customers I doubt there would be much to write home about regarding Tivo outselling Sky+HD.

Agreed, eventually it will boil back down to the traditional differences between the two companies. Tivo is a very good box, but it's simply the box v+ should have been but never was. When I first came to cable the difference between sky+ hd and v+ hd was jarring. Tivo puts them on a much more even footing, and whilst I don't believe sky Atlantic makes up for the significantly better on demand and catch up offerings (ie. I don't buy the sky has better content argument) I have to agree with Muppetman that the abysmal app support means one of the reasons that it is a better box than Sky+ hasn't been realised. Yet.

denphone 14-02-2012 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35381957)
I rather suspect Den the majority are existing customers upgrading to TIVO , it is indeed a decent box and one many more would select if only the HD channel range was better.

l am sure the HD range will improve but remember Sky are with-holding 6 HD channels and also remember that the basic HD package is free on Virgins network but incurs a £10 charge on Skys platform and also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story.

muppetman11 14-02-2012 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35381969)
also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story.

we're has this been stated ? and even if true doesn't indicate how many went the other way.

New to cable 14-02-2012 19:08

Quote:

<snip> and also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story<snip>.

Well you have just completely discredited yourself, TiVo according to VM is now in 270'000(ish) homes. Now go look at Sky's yearly results and try and find the drop in customers amounting to 165'000 that have gone to TiVo.

If you're going to make things up at least put some back ground work in. VM haven't added 165'000 new TV customers and Sky haven't lost 165'000 tv customers.

Seriously that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

andy_m 14-02-2012 19:08

Virgin have a plan to grow to 80 hd channels;)

LexDiamond 14-02-2012 19:10

Quote:

l am sure the HD range will improve but remember Sky are with-holding 6 HD channels and also remember that the basic HD package is free on Virgins network but incurs a £10 charge on Skys platform and also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story.

For a new customer, what will be the difference in price between a XL tv sub with Tivo and a Sky Entertainment Extra sub with HD pack?

I think the £10.25 HD fee is more or less irrelevant today. In the above example Sky offer more content and HD channels for not really much of a difference in price.

denphone 14-02-2012 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35381976)
we're has this been stated ? and even if true doesn't indicate how many went the other way.

Well master here is a link and there is a PDF on it as well for you to perouse and l think you will find it a interesting read.:)

http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/view/...sults-for.html

muppetman11 14-02-2012 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35381986)
Well master here is a link and there is a PDF on it as well for you to perouse and l think you will find it a interesting read.:)

But my point is how many went the other way ?

New to cable 14-02-2012 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35381986)

Ahhhhh 55% of "NEW" adds not upsells...Now thats probably more like it,You were giving the impression it was 55% of 270'000 because Sky's results do not show a drop in customers especially not over 100'000

So now we just need to know how many TiVos were new business not upsells. With that figure we can take 55% an work out how many Sky users went to TiVo.

denphone 14-02-2012 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35381983)
Well you have just completely discredited yourself, TiVo according to VM is now in 270'000(ish) homes. Now go look at Sky's yearly results and try and find the drop in customers amounting to 165'000 that have gone to TiVo.

If you're going to make things up at least put some back ground work in. VM haven't added 165'000 new TV customers and Sky haven't lost 165'000 tv customers.

Seriously that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

l do enjoy looking at your posts as generally l cannot make heads or tails of them.:D

muppetman11 14-02-2012 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35381991)
Ahhhhh 55% of "NEW" adds not upsells...Now thats probably more like it,You were giving the impression it was 55% of 270'000 because Sky's results do not show a drop in customers especially not over 100'000

So now we just need to know how many TiVos were new business not upsells. With that figure we can take 55% an work out how many Sky users went to TiVo.

TIVO is near on 500,000 customers I believe.

denphone 14-02-2012 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35381988)
But my point is how many went the other way ?

Thats a question you need to answer MM.:)

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35381992)

Come the next quarter l suspect it will be 750,000.

alwaysabear 14-02-2012 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35381984)

But when! That is the $65,000 question. I believe that statement was a year ago and that number was predicted within two years. Well at the current rate it will take them in the region of 10 years.:(

New to cable 14-02-2012 19:25

Quote:

Yeah sorry I was only talking about new additions the overall number is around 450-500'000.

Digital Fanatic 14-02-2012 19:27

Quote:

Yes, that is correct MM :) Not bad in less than 1 year :)

tridens 14-02-2012 19:30

Hi Virgin keep advertising FREE HD CHANNELS what free HD channels do you get on virgin on TV L all I can see is BBC1 ITV CH4 CH5 FILM4

Digital Fanatic 14-02-2012 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by tridens (Post 35382000)
Hi Virgin keep advertising FREE HD CHANNELS what free HD channels do you get on virgin on TV L all I can see is BBC1 ITV CH4 CH5 FILM4

You need to be on the XL pack to get the full HD package included (Excluding premium Sky HD)

andy_m 14-02-2012 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35381996)
But when! That is the $65,000 question. I believe that statement was a year ago and that number was predicted within two years. Well at the current rate it will take them in the region of 10 years.:(

My post was tongue in cheek.

alwaysabear 14-02-2012 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35382038)
My post was tongue in cheek.

I saw the ;) M8. It still begs the question when are we going to see some action rather than words.

denphone 14-02-2012 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35382046)
I saw the ;) M8. It still begs the question when are we going to see some action rather than words.

In the coming months l suspect.:)

Tim Deegan 14-02-2012 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentex (Post 35381804)
Thank you very much for all the replies.

Using Sky Anytime I could record onto my DVD player with it. I don't know why you couldn't and with my old V+HD box I could too. I just couldn't record the TV Choice stuff like the boxsets.

Regarding the speed of channel changing and menu, even if it's not a quick as the latest SKy+ HD boxes. Am I going to get frustrated? Sky+ was lighting quick. A little less speed I can live with. Anything like the old V+HD scientic atlantic I cannot.

I'm told that my bill would be 35 pounds to have Broadband (L) phone (M) and TV with Tivo (M+ and Mutv). Where is the 3 pound or 5 pound Tivo charge I see you writing about? Will that be added so my bill is 38-41 pounds? I'm currently paying around 20 pounds a month for phone and broadband.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

I just called in and I was assured that the price of having a Tivo box will not go up from 3 pounds to 5 pounds.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't record onto DVD, unless they use some sort of encryption like sky do with their pay per view movies. You are probably best asking VM.

Tivo is far quicker than the old V+HD boxes at changing channels.

Bentex 15-02-2012 00:47

Thanks! I rang back VM and I was told I would be paying 3pounds and not 5 pounds for Tivo for the next 18months. New customers who make their deal after 28th Feb will be paying 5 pounds.

It's a bit of a pain, I must say. But the box will always be guaranteed working. Unlike your sky box. You may have to pay for an expensive repair or replacement. Plus there is no basic HD charge ;) It's swings and roundabouts.

I've been a Sky fan for years. But being able to record 3 channels (plus me being able to watch another on my now freesat box) is too good for me to turn down. Plus the catch up service. I think VM are fighting back!

New to cable 15-02-2012 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentex (Post 35382108)
Thanks! I rang back VM and I was told I would be paying 3pounds and not 5 pounds for Tivo for the next 18months. New customers who make their deal after 28th Feb will be paying 5 pounds.

It's a bit of a pain, I must say. But the box will always be guaranteed working. Unlike your sky box. You may have to pay for an expensive repair or replacement. Plus there is no basic HD charge ;) It's swings and roundabouts.

I've been a Sky fan for years. But being able to record 3 channels (plus me being able to watch another on my now freesat box) is too good for me to turn down. Plus the catch up service. I think VM are fighting back!

This thing about expensive sky repairs is nonsense. Let say a TiVo user and Sky+HD user both get boxes today.

Lets assume both get the current free fitting ect deal. So in the first 12 months the Sky box is covered free of charge by Sky, the TiVo box belongs to VM so thats also coverd.

In the first year the TiVo user has paid £36 in TiVo fee's the Sky user has not paid any fee's for his Sky box. So now lets "assume" the Sky box goes faulty in the second year an so does the TiVo.

VM will repair replace the TiVo free, Sky will charge £60 call out and repair replace DISH CABLING AND BOX if requested as that's a full service call. The new Sky box is now covered for another 12 months.

So over the next 12 months the TiVo user still pays £36 a year the Sky user pays zero. After 24 months both have had replaced boxes, the Sky user has paid a total of £60 the TiVo user has paid £72.

If the Sky box doesn't break the Sky user has paid £0 in 24 months, the TiVo user has paid £72 or £120 if on the £5 per month fee.

kop32 15-02-2012 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382114)
This thing about expensive sky repairs is nonsense. Let say a TiVo user and Sky+HD user both get boxes today.

Lets assume both get the current free fitting ect deal. So in the first 12 months the Sky box is covered free of charge by Sky, the TiVo box belongs to VM so thats also coverd.

In the first year the TiVo user has paid £36 in TiVo fee's the Sky user has not paid any fee's for his Sky box. So now lets "assume" the Sky box goes faulty in the second year an so does the TiVo.

VM will repair replace the TiVo free, Sky will charge £60 call out and repair replace DISH CABLING AND BOX if requested as that's a full service call. The new Sky box is now covered for another 12 months.

So over the next 12 months the TiVo user still pays £36 a year the Sky user pays zero. After 24 months both have had replaced boxes, the Sky user has paid a total of £60 the TiVo user has paid £72.

If the Sky box doesn't break the Sky user has paid £0 in 24 months, the TiVo user has paid £72 or £120 if on the £5 per month fee.

I can't really argue with the above post,as I have had a Sky HD box for over two years now and have never had to have a repair done,there again I may of just been lucky!.

alwaysabear 15-02-2012 11:54

Having had both Sky and Virgin, I can say that I have had more problems with VM than Sky. I am on my fifth VM box in 12 years. The only problem I had with Sky was heavy rain or snow, when the signal broke up. I never had a problem with the box I had for 6 years. My mother has had her Sky+ box nearly 5 years with no problems apart from the recent snow when she lost signal for a couple of hours.
I now have the VHD box which is by far and away the best VM box I have had . I am happy to stay with VM for now, because of BB, however, I do want to see more HD.

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382114)

Fair point. Although Sky do try to talk you into a warranty after the first year. And if the box needs replacing, it costs over £200.

My Sky+ HD box needed replacing within the first year, but if it had been just outside that first year, then because I refused the warranty, it would have cost me a fortune.

Also with my package I saved around £70 per month changing my TV to SKY.

New to cable 15-02-2012 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382239)
Fair point. Although Sky do try to talk you into a warranty after the first year. And if the box needs replacing, it costs over £200.

My Sky+ HD box needed replacing within the first year, but if it had been just outside that first year, then because I refused the warranty, it would have cost me a fortune.

No one pays £200 for a box from Sky, Just like no one actually pays £49.99 installation and £49.99 activation on Virginmeida. Yeah the price's exist but no one pays them.

You ring Sky after 1 year to cancel due to a faulty box you would have a new box sent out for self installation same day for free if you re-sign or maybe £49.99 if you don't re-sign.(If you don't re-sign you get a refurb)

Digital Fanatic 15-02-2012 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382239)

Yes, my sister has to pay an extra £8 pm on top of her Sky tv package for insurance.

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35382245)
Yes, my sister has to pay an extra £8 pm on top of her Sky tv package for insurance.

So in the long run it's more expensive that VM.

New to cable 15-02-2012 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35382245)

Your sister is wasting money then as she could..

A- Buy a box fo ebay for around £40 if hers broke.Perfectly legal and Sky are happy to pair the card.

B- Pay a 1 time service charge of £60 for a service call which would inspect replace, cable,dish,box if any were found to be faulty.

Digital Fanatic 15-02-2012 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382247)

Certainly if you take the insurance out it is, yeah.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382249)

A- Buy a box fo ebay for around £40 if hers broke.Perfectly legal and Sky are happy to pair the card.

B- Pay a 1 time service charge of £60 for a service call which would inspect replace, cable,dish,box if any were found to be faulty.

It's a 1TB Sky HD box.. would she really be able to get one for that price?

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382249)

I was told by Sky themselves that if I didn't take out their warranty, then it could cost me a call out, plus £200 for a new box.....so I told them that I would challenge that under the Sale of Goods Act, and wouldn't have to pay anywhere near £200.

New to cable 15-02-2012 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35382250)
Certainly if you take the insurance out it is, yeah.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

It's a 1TB Sky HD box.. would she really be able to get one for that price?

She would for the £60 service call fee. But chances are just like your DVD player,TV.Microwave,Bluray,Computer,Games console...Your Skybox will last many many years.

Why pay £96 a year because something MIGHT happen to a Sky box that sky will replace for £60is something DOES happen. Makes no sense.

Digital Fanatic 15-02-2012 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382259)
She would for the £60 service call fee. But chances are just like your DVD player,TV.Microwave,Bluray,Computer,Games console...Your Skybox will last many many years.

Why pay £96 a year because something MIGHT happen to a Sky box that sky will replace for £60is something DOES happen. Makes no sense.

Sky are ripping customers off then with that insurance. so if her 1TB Sky HD box breaksdown, she pays £60 and gets a new box?

New to cable 15-02-2012 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35382260)
Sky are ripping customers off then with that insurance. so if her 1TB Sky HD box breaksdown, she pays £60 and gets a new box?

The insurance is not Sky, its a secondary company I believe. Another thing most people forget is your Sky box is probably covered for failure or accidental damage by your house insurance.

But the insurance gets you a brandnew box, the £60 is a refurb. It horses for course I guess.

I don't have any cover on my Sky+HD boxes and one is a drx790 probably 3 years old. Works fine just it only has a 360Gb HDD inside (which I can swapout myself for a upto 2TB) .

denphone 15-02-2012 12:43

Quote:

Exactly.

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382265)
The insurance is not Sky, its a secondary company I believe. Another thing most people forget is your Sky box is probably covered for failure or accidental damage by your house insurance.

Extended warranties are almost always done through another company. But it would have been a Sky department. But I know what you mean.

Extended warranties are never worth the money. Just try mentioning SOGA to the sales rep, and they soon shut up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382265)
But the insurance gets you a brandnew box, the £60 is a refurb. It horses for course I guess.

I don't have any cover on my Sky+HD boxes and one is a drx790 probably 3 years old. Works fine just it only has a 360Gb HDD inside (which I can swapout myself for a upto 2TB) .

I never had cover on mine either, but mine did need replacing in the first year. The second one I never had any problems with.

I was happy with Sky, but a saving of £70 per month is a no brainer. So I changed to VM. But it was only after I changed that I found out how much better the Tivo box is. In fact I'm still finding out new things it can do now.

New to cable 15-02-2012 12:57

Quote:

Ya know, its so hard to realistically work out which is cheaper over say 3 years. There are so many variables but I think it suits both companys to leave it like that.

I have 3 Sky+hd boxes and HD, Full price would Multiroomx2 HD pack x1 so just that should be £30

VM 3 recordable TiVo's would from March Tivo fee £5 x3 plus £6.50 x2 multiroom fee plus £7 premium HD. that's £35

I now have a 14Mb internet and phoneline with sky unlimited weekend and evening calls and unlimited internet that would be full price £19.75 with Sky.

10Mb with phone line and unlimited weekend and evening calls is £33 a month with VM.

But for instance my HD pack is discounted to £5, my multirooms are £7.50 each etc. I got free line rental, not many VM customers out there pay £33 for just 10Mb with a phoneline..

It is nigh on impossible to work out who is actually cheaper so it comes down to what you want from your provider.

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382281)
Ya know, its so hard to realistically work out which is cheaper over say 3 years. There are so many variables but I think it suits both companys to leave it like that.

I have 3 Sky+hd boxes and HD, Full price would Multiroomx2 HD pack x1 so just that should be £30

VM 3 recordable TiVo's would from March Tivo fee £5 x3 plus £6.50 x2 multiroom fee plus £7 premium HD. that's £35

I now have a 14Mb internet and phoneline with sky unlimited weekend and evening calls and unlimited internet that would be full price £19.75 with Sky.

10Mb with phone line and unlimited weekend and evening calls is £33 a month with VM.

But for instance my HD pack is discounted to £5, my multirooms are £7.50 each etc. I got free line rental, not many VM customers out there pay £33 for just 10Mb with a phoneline..

It is nigh on impossible to work out who is actually cheaper so it comes down to what you want from your provider.

Yes I agree, as it all depends on your package, and your circumstances. However with my package, like I said, I save £70 per month, and that was what decided it for me before I found out how much better the Tivo is than the Sky box.

Both Sky and VM will try to out do each other. So if you called VM, they would probably beat your Sky package just to get your custom. But in my case Sky just conceded defeat, because they couldn't come close.

New to cable 15-02-2012 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382291)
Yes I agree, as it all depends on your package, and your circumstances. However with my package, like I said, I save £70 per month, and that was what decided it for me before I found out how much better the Tivo is than the Sky box.

Both Sky and VM will try to out do each other. So if you called VM, they would probably beat your Sky package just to get your custom. But in my case Sky just conceded defeat, because they couldn't come close.

£70 saving? Jesus and you have 3 phonelines 2 TV boxes and 100Mb BB, So what TV package do you have and what are you paying VM. An what the hell did you have on Sky. You must of had like 5 Multiroom boxes.

Although I see you only have 2 VM boxes so I assume you only had 2 on sky.

Ok I built a bundle of 100Mb, TV-L and phone with a second box on VM that comes to £74 only including 1 phoneline an you have 3 so you're saving £70 from what you were paying Sky.

So your Sky package was AT LEAST £144??? Jezz you must of had like 6 multiroom boxes- But then thats not a saving as you would of downgraded for VM- What was your Sky package dude?

So your Sky package was atleast

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382302)
£70 saving? Jesus and you have 3 phonelines 2 TV boxes and 100Mb BB, So what TV package do you have and what are you paying VM. An what the hell did you have on Sky. You must of had like 5 Multiroom boxes.

Although I see you only have 2 VM boxes so I assume you only had 2 on sky.

Ok I built a bundle of 100Mb, TV-L and phone with a second box on VM that comes to £74 only including 1 phoneline an you have 3 so you're saving £70 from what you were paying Sky.

So your Sky package was AT LEAST £144??? Jezz you must of had like 6 multiroom boxes- But then thats not a saving as you would of downgraded for VM- What was your Sky package dude?

So your Sky package was atleast

No it's far more complicated than that I'm afraid. :erm:

New to cable 15-02-2012 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382311)

Nope, you just say what you had on Sky and how much it cost, then what you have on Virgin and how much you pay.

The services should almost identical or as close as possible and the Virginmedia one will show as £70 cheaper than the Sky one. It really is that simple. So off you go..

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382311)

Nope, you just say what you had on Sky and how much it cost, then what you have on Virgin and how much you pay.

The services should almost identical or as close as possible and the Virginmedia one will show as £70 cheaper than the Sky one. It really is that simple. So off you go..

You didnt say you pay the same amount but get more EG-100Mb you said Sky is £70 more than VM, so I just wonder what you had on Sky and what you have on VM?

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382314)

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

You didnt say you pay the same amount but get more EG-100Mb you said Sky is £70 more than VM, so I just wonder what you had on Sky and what you have on VM?

You really need to read my earlier posts. And then take into account all sorts of packages to do with phone calls, etc...

Like I said, it's far more complicated. Lets just say I played Sky and VM off against each other, and ended up saving £70 per month by moving the lot to VM. Sky didn't even attempt to come close.

New to cable 15-02-2012 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382324)
You really need to read my earlier posts. And then take into account all sorts of packages to do with phone calls, etc...

Like I said, it's far more complicated. Lets just say I played Sky and VM off against each other, and ended up saving £70 per month by moving the lot to VM. Sky didn't even attempt to come close.

Well the phone won't kmake a £70 difference as phoneline with VM is £14.90 and its £12.25 with Sky.

Talk unlimited is £8 with VM and its £5 with Sky, But extra call would not be included in VM's price. I'm only wondering what you had on Sky?

Sky world? HD? Multiroom? BB and phone?

muppetman11 15-02-2012 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382255)
I was told by Sky themselves that if I didn't take out their warranty, then it could cost me a call out, plus £200 for a new box.....so I told them that I would challenge that under the Sale of Goods Act, and wouldn't have to pay anywhere near £200.

Well you were told wrong.

LexDiamond 15-02-2012 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35382332)

Would it even have been Sky that told Tim that? I thought some other company sold the cover and not Sky.

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382329)
Well the phone won't kmake a £70 difference as phoneline with VM is £14.90 and its £12.25 with Sky.

Talk unlimited is £8 with VM and its £5 with Sky, But extra call would not be included in VM's price. I'm only wondering what you had on Sky?

Sky world? HD? Multiroom? BB and phone?

Like I said, it's far more complcated than that!!

muppetman11 15-02-2012 14:39

A Sky service call includes all the work to get your service back up and running , I've been with Sky for around 8-9 years on and off in all that time I've had two service calls both of which I've had free , one was a faulty LNB which was swapped out the other was a faulty pace non PVR box which was also swapped. In an era of such competition I would never pay to insure my service , that said I can't fault VM service calls , always had friendly techs and at no extra cost.

New to cable 15-02-2012 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382347)
Like I said, it's far more complcated than that!!

How is it complicated? Sky sell TV/BB/PHONE you pick what you want and pay. So all you do is say "I had tvxx phonexx bbxx" and I paid £xx for it.

There is no need to get complicated, Just what you had and what you were paying- No need for the in's and out's of deals. Just the services you had and the billed monthly amount.

Or....................Next time you get creative..keep it factual eh;)

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35382332)

THat wouldn't surprise me at all, as they were trying to scare me into paying an extra £8 per month.

Out of interest, do you know how much a new Sky+HD box costs to buy?

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382352)
How is it complicated? Sky sell TV/BB/PHONE you pick what you want and pay. So all you do is say "I had tvxx phonexx bbxx" and I paid £xx for it.

There is no need to get complicated, Just what you had and what you were paying- No need for the in's and out's of deals. Just the services you had and the billed monthly amount.

Or....................Next time you get creative..keep it factual eh;)

To start with Sky don't even do 100mb, and they won't do three phone lines, and they don't do various extras that I need for my business. Just leave it at that, because I did a lot of research. With sky I wouldn't have got the package I needed, and the closest would have cost me more.

New to cable 15-02-2012 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382353)
THat wouldn't surprise me at all, as they were trying to scare me into paying an extra £8 per month.

Out of interest, do you know how much a new Sky+HD box costs to buy?

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

To start with Sky don't even do 100mb, and they won't do three phone lines, and they don't do various extras that I need for my business.

Yeah thats fine, but you said your package on VM is £70 less than your package was on Sky. I'm just asking when you had Sky WHAT SERVICES DID YOU HAVE LOL...then...HOW MUCH WAS IT PER MONTH.

Tim Deegan 15-02-2012 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35382355)
Yeah thats fine, but you said your package on VM is £70 less than your package was on Sky. I'm just asking when you had Sky WHAT SERVICES DID YOU HAVE LOL...then...HOW MUCH WAS IT PER MONTH.

No I didn't. I said I saved £70 per month when I change the whole lot to VM.

READ MY EARLIER POSTS!!!

Stephen 15-02-2012 15:02

Ok you two enough!!

Back on topic please!!

devilincarnate 15-02-2012 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35382371)
Ok you two enough!!

Back on topic please!!

Well said and it makes sense that established members will not post now as this has now become a SKY thread:erm:

Itshim 16-02-2012 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35381984)

Just seen a Gloucester old spot flying past the window:)

denphone 16-02-2012 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35382754)
Just seen a Gloucester old spot flying past the window:)

Can you see if there is a pilot on board Itshim.:D

Tim Deegan 16-02-2012 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35382492)
Well said and it makes sense that established members will not post now as this has now become a SKY thread:erm:

What???

Digital Fanatic 16-02-2012 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35382770)
What???

It's just Devils' sence of humour, Tim :)

Itshim 16-02-2012 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35382762)
Can you see if there is a pilot on board Itshim.:D

Think its a one pig plane, but a 3 saddle backs followed by the big bad wolf can be seen over the channel heading for Swansea I think.:D

devilincarnate 16-02-2012 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35382773)
It's just Devils' sence of humour, Tim :)

You know me too well mate:D:D:D

Bentex 06-03-2012 16:23

Well I finally got my Tivo installed today. Took over 30mins to download some software LOL!.

I had Tivo 10+ years ago with sky so I'm familiar with it. The menu is very similar to the old style. So far my concerns about speed in changing channels and go through the menus has eased. It looks pretty fast so far.

Quality of the picture and audio are both fine.

Tried the youtube app...watched a few videos. This looks like an exellent addition.

Tried to catch up shows Live with Gabby and Idiot abroad. Played both fine...was able to fast forward and skip through them with easy. Picture quality was again very good. Better than my old V+HD box with catch up.

These are only first impressions. I will have questions later! :))) also more reviews :)

Tim Deegan 06-03-2012 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentex (Post 35393995)
Well I finally got my Tivo installed today. Took over 30mins to download some software LOL!.

I had Tivo 10+ years ago with sky so I'm familiar with it. The menu is very similar to the old style. So far my concerns about speed in changing channels and go through the menus has eased. It looks pretty fast so far.

Tried the youtube app...watched a few videos. This looks like an exellent addition.

Tried to catch up shows Live with Gabby and Idiot abroad. Played both fine...was able to fast forward and skip through them with easy. Picture quality was again very good. Better than my old V+HD box with catch up.

These are only first impressions. I will have questions later! :))) also more reviews :)

And the really clever bit is the way it records programs that are similar to the ones you normally choose. Then puts them in your suggestions.

Bentex 11-03-2012 05:44

I have a major problem signing into my youtube accounts. Does anyone also have that problem? One app has the option, the other doesn't. I've been using it a lot recently and it would be nice to have my faves all in one place! I have many youtube accounts and I can log into all of them with my pc and laptop. But impossible with Tivo!

I'm really surprised by Tivo! I heard it was buggy and a lot of people are unhappy. But I only have two complaints so far. One of course is signing into youtube the other is there is not a bookmark feature like on Sky+. Or a least I don't find it yet??

Menu navigation and channel changing is fast enough. Although Sky+HD beats it by miles.

Just wondering, when fastforwarding and you press play it doesn't stop and that moment on Tivo, while on Sky and other PVRs I have and used do. Is that a feature? Can it be turned off??

I've not had any smart suggestions yet!! But every time I look over and see 3 red recording lights on I feel glad I'm getting my money's worth :)

Last but not least, the last two early morning 'catch up' is always unavailable. Any reason for this?

andy_m 11-03-2012 06:49

What's a bookmark?

The fast forward thing-it snaps back 8 seconds once you press play in case you've gone too far. I think that's really clever because with Sky I was forever going past and having to wind back, but it's not universally loved. I don't know how to turn it off.

carlwaring 11-03-2012 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35397344)
The fast forward thing-it snaps back 8 seconds once you press play in case you've gone too far. I think that's really clever because with Sky I was forever going past and having to wind back, but it's not universally loved. I don't know how to turn it off.

It can't be turned off.

Which annoyed me to start with as I had it switched off on my original S1 unit as I got very good at just hitting the right spot. I have now got used to using it this way :)

paulsouth 11-03-2012 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentex (Post 35393995)

if u happy,thats all that matters..

andy_m 11-03-2012 10:27

OK, bookmarks-google is my friend! There is no bookmark function. If you press play on a show highlighted in my shows (the planner) it will start off from where you were last watching it (ie you can watch a program in two or more sittings without having to fast forward from the start each time) unless the last time you watched it you got into the final 2 minutes because then it assumes you're done and if you played it again it would start at the beginning.

So, you can't set multiple bookmarks, but it automatically provides one bookmark if you stop watching a recording before it's finished.

Not sure I've explained that very well?

muppetman11 11-03-2012 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35397344)
What's a bookmark?

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky...ing-bookmarks/