Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Chronicles of Rishi (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711430)

Damien 24-10-2022 14:01

The Chronicles of Rishi

Another New PM, Another new thread…… ;)

Continued from here: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33711301

jfman 24-10-2022 14:04

Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Popcorn time.

mrmistoffelees 24-10-2022 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138292)
Popcorn time.

For the not so politically educated, ie me, why ?

Ramrod 24-10-2022 14:09

ffs.... :(

Dave42 24-10-2022 14:11

the sensible choice out of the 3 that ran IMHO

jfman 24-10-2022 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36138293)
For the not so politically educated, ie me, why ?

I expect a reasonable number of Tory voters to be miffed since he knifed Johnson. And (perhaps rightly) be vocal about it.

Similarly the elite of a supposedly democratic political party installing it's candidate over that chosen by a membership isn't an ideal foundation to go forward.

Paul 24-10-2022 14:24

Is there a new lettuce ?

denphone 24-10-2022 14:25

Yeah the new one is a bit more costly than the old one.;)

mrmistoffelees 24-10-2022 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36138297)
Is there a new lettuce ?

:D:D:D:D:D

Surely we should be playing winner stays on?

Pierre 24-10-2022 14:43

There'll be another in two years.

Sunaks job is just to make sure the Tories are not wiped of the face of the political map in two years time.

BenMcr 24-10-2022 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36138300)

Boris will be planning for that no doubt already.

Damien 24-10-2022 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36138300)

Optimistic. Let's see if he can last until the new year first.

Ms NTL 24-10-2022 14:56

Where is CharlesIII? I heard he is too busy to coronate Rishi.

denphone 24-10-2022 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36138302)
Optimistic. Let's see if he can last until the new year first.

l will have to cope like the previous Conservative leaders with the demands of the ultra's.

Chris 24-10-2022 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138296)
I expect a reasonable number of Tory voters to be miffed since he knifed Johnson. And (perhaps rightly) be vocal about it.

Similarly the elite of a supposedly democratic political party installing it's candidate over that chosen by a membership isn't an ideal foundation to go forward.

No, but they’ve done it before (c.f. IDS/Michael Howard). The wider tory party doesn’t have the same sort of political consciousness as the British Left. They’ll sigh and get on with it.

Hugh 24-10-2022 15:58

My concern is that he has only 7 years experience as an MP, 4 years experience as a Minister - I don’t believe he has have the political experience to run the Party/Country…

As someone I follow on Twitter put it (@garius)

Quote:

Well, in any pre-2012 government he'd still be a Junior Minister.

That has knock-on effects for his likely performance in other vital areas to. Things you need to be good at in order to deliver and govern.

Building trust, relationships and reputation in parliament takes time. A reason all the recent PMs have been shit is they haven't done that

They've had to rely on having more people shouting loudly in their corner than in their opponent's corner. On building cliques and "winning" the argument.

That's how you win elections - general or leadership - it's not how you GOVERN. Truss was the ultimate example of that.

You also have to work out how you get a mandate from the country - yes, through actually having elections - to agree to difficult choices or trust you to make them.

Boris dodged that by flat out false promises. Truss decided she just tell us she knew best. Both failed, long-term

And, as I've talked about before, you need to have experienced failure and learned how to confront the consequences. You have to learn how to be wrong.

Sunak has demonstrated frequently so far he just doesn't know how to do that. He just gets angry at whoever suggests it.

Now you can say he's been Chancellor already, and built some experience from that. God knows it was a challenging time to do it. But his record there was spotty at best, and it highlighted he has issues with all the above.

He was still a raw Chancellor when he quit.

So over the next few months, possibly years, remember all the above. Experience is relative in the Tory Party right now.

Sunak is a junior employee in a struggling company who's shown some talent and been rapidly overpromoted as the experienced AND the grifters have jumped ship

Do I wish Sunak success? Absolutely. I live in this country. I am a patriot. I'm am lefty af but I want a competent right as much as they should want a competent left. Plus I have a mortgage to pay.

But let's not pretend he's ready for the PM job. By pre-2016 standards he isn't.
https://twitter.com/garius/status/15...8ItfMUIMSgMfhw

jfman 24-10-2022 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138307)
No, but they’ve done it before (c.f. IDS/Michael Howard). The wider tory party doesn’t have the same sort of political consciousness as the British Left. They’ll sigh and get on with it.

Hardly roaring successes. Although I agree about the membership of the Tory party lacking consciousness.

Taf 24-10-2022 16:12

I await the rumblings from the Tory Party members after being denied a vote.

jfman 24-10-2022 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138308)
My concern is that he has only 7 years experience as an MP, 4 years experience as a Minister - I don’t believe he has have the political experience to run the Party/Country…

As someone I follow on Twitter put it (@garius)

https://twitter.com/garius/status/15...8ItfMUIMSgMfhw

That's all quite ageist drivel to be fair. By that rationale Barack Obama should never have been near the Presidency, given a short US Senate tenure and a few years in the Illinois Senate.

Damien 24-10-2022 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138308)

The fast acceleration from a seat to a top job has been happening a lot. Not sure what's changed but 'promising' candidates are often promoted rapidly as they already have connections to senior figures before even becoming an MP.

Hugh 24-10-2022 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138312)
That's all quite ageist drivel to be fair. By that rationale Barack Obama should never have been near the Presidency, given a short US Senate tenure and a few years in the Illinois Senate.

Seven is more than "a few", and it’s nothing to do with age*, it’s to do with experience - I’d feel the same if he was 52 with the same lack of experience.

*which I never mentioned

jfman 24-10-2022 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138315)
Seven is more than "a few", and it’s nothing to do with age*, it’s to do with experience - I’d feel the same if he was 52 with the same lack of experience.

*which I never mentioned

My post was more aimed at the content you quoted which while it doesn't explicitly say age it's heavily implied to meet all the prerequisites you have to be old or in Parliament from your late teens.

Hugh 24-10-2022 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138317)
My post was more aimed at the content you quoted which while it doesn't explicitly say age it's heavily implied to meet all the prerequisites you have to be old or in Parliament from your late teens.

I think you may being the one being ageist now…

If someone is elected in their early 30s, 15-20 years experience makes you 45-50 when you have gained "experience" and built networks - that’s not "old"…

We’re talking about someone running a country - that needs experience.

jfman 24-10-2022 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138320)
I think you may being the one being ageist now…

If someone is elected in their early 30s, 15-20 years experience makes you 45-50 when you have gained "experience" and built networks - that’s not "old"…

We’re talking about someone running a country - that needs experience.

I'm not really convinced by the argument he doesn't have experience, or that even if it was the case couldn't install experience within his Cabinet and work with senior officials across the Civil Service who will have thousands of years of experience between them.

The problems of the late 2020s and early 2030s will not be resolved by people who think like it's merely an extension of the 1980s or 1990s.

Sephiroth 24-10-2022 17:14

Sunak's first speech at CCHQ was the most wooden presentation I've ever heard; and that's saying something after Truss. He stared straight ahead and obviously was reading some meaningless nonsense from a prompter. He even thanked Truss for trashing the economy - well not specifically, but close enough.

On another note, this is what John Redwood is advising the Chancellor:

Quote:

Ways to cut spending
OCTOBER 24, 2022

The new Chancellor says he is looking for ways to cut spending to bring the borrowing down. I have sent him a list of ideas familiar to readers of this blog where they have been published before.

Today there are some easy ways to make an impact.

1 Reverse his decision with the Bank of England to sell some of the bonds they own at a loss. Not selling would save in excess of £10 bn in the year ahead.

2 Work with DWP to improve incentives and support to help 500,000 people on benefits to get jobs. Saving around £5bn from less benefit and more tax.

3.implement Braverman plan to stop small boats illegal migration. Save £3bn in annual additional hotel costs.

4. Cancel HS2 and resell land acquired. Save many billions starting this year.

5. Adjust energy package to limit subsidised energy for households to the average usage, requiring those who use more to pay full price for the extra.

6 Substitute more UK gas and oil for imports by pressing on with extra N Sea production. This will cut the import bill and boost UK tax revenues substantially.
https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/

Chris 24-10-2022 17:33

4. is typical of the short term thinking that is the true British disease in our politics. HS2 must be completed, extended and ideally done faster than at present. Sure it will take a long time to yield benefits, but that’s exactly why it’s a government project and not a quick-buck private sector one.

1andrew1 24-10-2022 17:35

Looking forward to all that money from the north being diverted down south to help us poor Londoners out. After splashing out £550m for Bond Street Crossrail Station we're rather skint!

Sephiroth 24-10-2022 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36138331)
Looking forward to all that money from the north being diverted down south to help us poor Londoners out. After splashing out £550m for Bond Street Crossrail Station we're rather skint!

Now I can ride no-change from Twyford to Bond Street and a Salt Beef Sandwich at Selfridges. Or a top curry at Roti Chai; might even meet Sunak there!

Hugh 24-10-2022 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138323)
I'm not really convinced by the argument he doesn't have experience, or that even if it was the case couldn't install experience within his Cabinet and work with senior officials across the Civil Service who will have thousands of years of experience between them.

The problems of the late 2020s and early 2030s will not be resolved by people who think like it's merely an extension of the 1980s or 1990s.

And no one has said that…

A leader needs to have the experience to know which advice to take.

The points he made were

Quote:

Building trust, relationships and reputation in parliament takes time
Quote:

you need to have experienced failure and learned how to confront the consequences. You have to learn how to be wrong.
The problems of the late 2020s/early 2030s won’t be solved by people who haven’t built relationships and reputation, or have learned from their mistakes…

jfman 24-10-2022 18:18

We can all pick and choose lines, Hugh.

Quote:

Sunak is a junior employee in a struggling company who's shown some talent
I'm not quite sure that an appropriate description for someone who has actually held one of the Great Offices of State - during the economic turmoil of the pandemic of all times. I can think of 750 million reasons not to think Sunak will be a good PM but relative inexperience (compared to who?) isn't one of them.

Dave42 24-10-2022 19:19

Iain Dale on LBC saying there is rumours of Jeremy Hunt be replaced as chancellor

Damien 24-10-2022 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36138346)
Iain Dale on LBC saying there is rumours of Jeremy Hunt be replaced as chancellor

That would be stupid but I guess Sunak at least has experience in the role so might have something specific instead.

Mick 24-10-2022 21:38

The website that deals with Tory member cancellations has crashed tonight.

Damien 24-10-2022 22:20

Will they care? They're not as dependent on individual members as the Labour Party is, they don't need their money.

Hugh 24-10-2022 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138337)
We can all pick and choose lines, Hugh.

I'm not quite sure that an appropriate description for someone who has actually held one of the Great Offices of State - during the economic turmoil of the pandemic of all times. I can think of 750 million reasons not to think Sunak will be a good PM but relative inexperience (compared to who?) isn't one of them.

Appropriate for someone who was appointed to be Johnson’s lapdog, when Javid resigned as Chancellor after refusing a demand from Johnson and Cummings that he dismiss his advisers.

Mick 24-10-2022 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36138360)
Will they care? They're not as dependent on individual members as the Labour Party is, they don't need their money.

They should, it’s the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.

Sephiroth 24-10-2022 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36138362)
They should, it’s the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.

I stopped assisting with local campaigns since 2017, but I've kept up my membership.

jfman 24-10-2022 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138361)
Appropriate for someone who was appointed to be Johnson’s lapdog, when Javid resigned as Chancellor after refusing a demand from Johnson and Cummings that he dismiss his advisers.

This analysis conflates the circumstances of his appointment with his performance in the role and/or experience gained. The paradox being that he needs experience, but should delay stepping up so he only takes promotion on morally superior grounds? Under Johnson that's almost impossible.

Indeed if being appointed for circumstances other than doing Johnson's bidding would result in a very short tenure in any post. As Javid demonstrated. Twice.

I've no real interest in continuing a back and forth, as I say there's enough reasons to not like Rishi without adding this one to the list. The Tories need to draw a line under the past and to an extent that needs someone relatively new. I'd have preferred Penny to underline the past to move the party past Brexit to be an effective opposition to the next Labour government.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

Quote:

Fundamentally neither party gives a shit about the grass roots. Between the media and corporate interests there's enough money and influence around to keep the proletariat in check.

Damien 24-10-2022 22:45

Quote:

Maybe but again the Tories have never been a campaigning force on the ground. It's something they've tried to address with battle buses and so on but it's been difficult for them. They are usually more about the 'air war', i.e media campaigning.

Membership is more important for Labour as a higher % of their funding comes from them and they do depend on a lot of door-to-door campaigning.

It's one reason Labour are in trouble as they had two elections in three years which depleted funds and then lost a lot of members.

1andrew1 25-10-2022 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36138346)

Sky News saying Hunt will stay in position. Must be reassuring for the markets although Hunt was pretty much enacting Sunak's policies once he was appointed.

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36138366)
Maybe but again the Tories have never been a campaigning force on the ground. It's something they've tried to address with battle buses and so on but it's been difficult for them. They are usually more about the 'air war', i.e media campaigning.

Membership is more important for Labour as a higher % of their funding comes from them and they do depend on a lot of door-to-door campaigning.

It's one reason Labour are in trouble as they had two elections in three years which depleted funds and then lost a lot of members.

Labour have recovered a lot of membership recently
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election

RichardCoulter 25-10-2022 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36138331)

Well, during his last campaign to be leader/PM Sunak did say that he'd reduce funding for poorer areas and give it to more affluent areas.

Chris 25-10-2022 00:52

Amidst today’s excitement, it seems to have passed largely unnoticed that the 1922 Committee confirmed Boris actually did have 100 nominations and could have forced a contest had he chosen to.

https://order-order.com/2022/10/24/1...d-the-numbers/

He chose not to, after flying home. Why, is a matter of speculation.

jfman 25-10-2022 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138377)
Amidst today’s excitement, it seems to have passed largely unnoticed that the 1922 Committee confirmed Boris actually did have 100 nominations and could have forced a contest had he chosen to.

:rofl: Guido.

So we are trusting the word of one person who spoke to another person? (a Boris supporter?- an 80% chance according to Guido for person 2, but only 20% for person one on anything independently verified :rofl:) that paperwork for a nomination entirely hypothetical actually existed.

Do they fax them in one by one?

The election of President Xi to his third term is objectively more transparent and more credible.

Damien 25-10-2022 07:30

Quote:

I guess to gave in to the pressure not to stand then? If he had a 102 then the prospect of scrapping though and winning the job with such little support actually did give him 2nd thoughts.

Chris 25-10-2022 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138378)
:rofl: Guido.

So we are trusting the word of one person who spoke to another person? (a Boris supporter?- an 80% chance according to Guido for person 2, but only 20% for person one on anything independently verified :rofl:) that paperwork for a nomination entirely hypothetical actually existed.

Do they fax them in one by one?

The election of President Xi to his third term is objectively more transparent and more credible.

I appreciate this news demolishes your own pet theory, however Guido has put a named MP member on the record who in turn has named the 1922’s joint secretary. There’s more than enough explicit finger-pointing there for, at the very least, an indignant tweet from those concerned, if it’s untrue or inaccurate.

Don’t take it personally. In the end all any of us is doing is speculation and educated guesswork, your personal prestige isn’t on the line for guessing wrong.

papa smurf 25-10-2022 08:32

I'm looking forward to Novembers race for PM ,wonder if Hancock will have a go

1andrew1 25-10-2022 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36138384)
I'm looking forward to Novembers race for PM ,wonder if Hancock will have a go

Sunak will appoint him to a Cabinet post so he won't. Yesterday's snub was just an in-joke between them! :D

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138383)
I appreciate this news demolishes your own pet theory, however Guido has put a named MP member on the record who in turn has named the 1922’s joint secretary. There’s more than enough explicit finger-pointing there for, at the very least, an indignant tweet from those concerned, if it’s untrue or inaccurate.

Don’t take it personally. In the end all any of us is doing is speculation and educated guesswork, your personal prestige isn’t on the line for guessing wrong.

What we can see here is how political campaigns and Partygate denials over the last five years have reduced our trust in politicians. A few years ago I would have believed Johnson's claim straight away but now I'm far more sceptical and would be checking the reliability of all concerned here.

Pierre 25-10-2022 10:05

Quote:

He'll be back.

jfman 25-10-2022 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138383)

As I say, it’s got extremely limited credibility from a website that clearly had a vested interest from the start. There’s no way to independently verify the claim, and you are relying on someone to feel so strongly against it to speak out discrediting Boris in the process. An act of self harm for a political party on life support.

We are indeed engaging in guesswork and nothing from Guido has changed my view. If Boris had the numbers he’d have been PM by Friday.

Iain Duncan Smith on LBC summed it up perfectly. No team. No plan. The indignity of having to phone round and drum up interest.

denphone 25-10-2022 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36138394)
He'll be back.

Perhaps in 2025?.

Damien 25-10-2022 11:46

I don't think Johnson will come back as PM. If I had to bet with that prospect not there in the immediate future he'll step down as an MP at the next election and become a personality instead.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

I am surprised no one on here has talked about Sunak's background?

He is apparently the first PM to represent a Yorkshire constituency. It just to goes to show what obstacles you can overcome in this country.

jfman 25-10-2022 11:52

Rishi sticking the boot in. Mistakes were made.

Chris 25-10-2022 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138413)
Rishi sticking the boot in. Mistakes were made.

Incidentally, your prediction that someone would accuse Rishi of being insufficiently brown came true last night courtesy of the BBC. They managed to find some Asian students in Leicester and one of them suggested his 'socio-economic background' made him less able to be seen as a representative of British Asians. He's not one of the hard-left usual suspects but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I've recently moved onto a new-build estate where there are a number of south asian households (Diwali was a bit noisy last night). All I can say is around here, they all have bigger houses than me.

jfman 25-10-2022 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138414)
Incidentally, your prediction that someone would accuse Rishi of being insufficiently brown came true last night courtesy of the BBC. They managed to find some Asian students in Leicester and one of them suggested his 'socio-economic background' made him less able to be seen as a representative of British Asians. He's not one of the hard-left usual suspects but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I've recently moved onto a new-build estate where there are a number of south asian households (Diwali was a bit noisy last night). All I can say is around here, they all have bigger houses than me.

As I pointed out the last time I don’t consider the problems in the Labour Party exclusively those of the “hard-left” but as you say almost inevitable that someone would do it.

He doesn’t have the lived experience of most British people, whatever that looks like, regardless of skin colour. I don’t know why they don’t just keep it simple.

Damien 25-10-2022 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138414)
Incidentally, your prediction that someone would accuse Rishi of being insufficiently brown came true last night courtesy of the BBC. They managed to find some Asian students in Leicester and one of them suggested his 'socio-economic background' made him less able to be seen as a representative of British Asians. He's not one of the hard-left usual suspects but I'm sure it's only a matter of time..

A Labour MP tweeted it wasn't a win for Asian representation because of the class thing but seems to have been made to delete it. It's not that uncommon a view amongst some on the left who've dipped too much into viewing everything as a class issue and see issues of identity as a side-effect of that rather a separate but occasionally interlocking issue. There is a term 'Brocialist' to describe men on the left who downplay issues around women's rights as their analysis of all problems is reduced to class alone.

Pierre 25-10-2022 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138415)
As I pointed out the last time I don’t consider the problems in the Labour Party exclusively those of the “hard-left” but as you say almost inevitable that someone would do it.

He doesn’t have the lived experience of most British people, whatever that looks like, regardless of skin colour. I don’t know why they don’t just keep it simple.

He is not from a privileged background. He is the son of two very hard working immigrants, that I'm sure installed a good work ethic into him.

Also marrying a billionaires daughter, helps!

He did vote for Brexit though !

jfman 25-10-2022 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36138417)
He is not from a privileged background. He is the son of two very hard working immigrants, that I'm sure installed a good work ethic into him.

Also marrying a billionaires daughter, helps!

He did vote for Brexit though !

In his own words he has no working class friends. That’s either he’s privileged or a knob. Or both.

mrmistoffelees 25-10-2022 12:50

Re: Rishi Sunak is Prime Minister

Reese-Mogg resigns......

Chris 25-10-2022 12:52

Lived experience is useful but it isn’t the trump card it is presently fashionable to claim it is. Nobody can live every experience. Much more useful are an awareness of what one has and what one does not have, and the ability to command a team that collectively has the necessary breadth of skills and experience.

Whether he’s that man, we shall soon find out.

1andrew1 25-10-2022 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36138420)
Reese-Mogg resigns......

Very happy to read that. :)

Hugh 25-10-2022 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36138420)
Reese-Mogg resigns......

Before he was fired…

1andrew1 25-10-2022 13:52

Will be interesting to see what happens to the hike in NI. Sunak planned it, Kwarteng decided not to proceed with it, Truss boasted in her leaving speech of ditching it.

I won't expect to see 3% of GDP spent on defence.

But at least Sunak won't need Party donors to fund any redecoration costs.

papa smurf 25-10-2022 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138421)
Lived experience is useful but it isn’t the trump card it is presently fashionable to claim it is. Nobody can live every experience. Much more useful are an awareness of what one has and what one does not have, and the ability to command a team that collectively has the necessary breadth of skills and experience.

Whether he’s that man, we shall soon find out.

Interesting opinion you have there young man, i feel sure it will change with experience.

RichardCoulter 25-10-2022 14:50

I wonder if his skin colour/ethnicity/religion will be a help or a hindering come election time.

It may help to attract voters of a similar background as well as the PC/woke types.

It may hinder as any racist Conservative voters may refuse to vote for him.

Maybe the two will balance each other out??

Hugh 25-10-2022 15:20

"PC/woke types"

<snigger>

Richard, the Daily Mail/Express/Telegraph/GB News called - they’d like their dog whistle back…

RichardCoulter 25-10-2022 16:37

My salient point is that those who define themselves as Politically Correct or Woke may vote for him simply because of his ethnicity etc.

Conversely,, there's bound to be others who wouldn't vote for him for the very same reason.

It will be interesting to see if his minority group status will be a help, a hinderence or if it won't make any difference, either because the two opposing groups cancel each other out or because we have now reached a point where most people don't take such things into account when choosing an elected representative.

I personally couldn't cate less about it; I have enough reasons to dislike him without looking for any more!

mrmistoffelees 25-10-2022 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36138437)
My salient point is that those who define themselves as Politically Correct or Woke may vote for him simply because of his ethnicity etc.

Conversely,, there's bound to be others who wouldn't vote for him for the very same reason.

It will be interesting to see if his minority group status will be a help, a hinderence or if it won't make any difference, either because the two opposing groups cancel each other out or because we have now reached a point where most people don't take such things into account when choosing an elected representative.

I personally couldn't cate less about it; I have enough reasons to dislike him without looking for any more!

Interesting that you only bring this up for the current prime minister? Why would you not bring for any of his predecessors ?

jfman 25-10-2022 16:59

Quote:

There's nothing politically correct about voting Conservative regardless of the colour of the leader.

Hugh 25-10-2022 17:09

Quote:

Very few people define themselves as "Politically Correct or Woke" - it is usually used as a derogatory label by those on the right…

Can I ask why you didn’t ask the same question about people potentially voting for Liz Truss?

RichardCoulter 25-10-2022 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138443)
Very few people define themselves as "Politically Correct or Woke" - it is usually used as a derogatory label by those on the right…

Can I ask why you didn’t ask the same question about people potentially voting for Liz Truss?

I assume that she is British white, if i'm correct the question wouldn't arise.

Or are you referring to her gender?

Hugh 25-10-2022 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36138445)
I assume that she is British white, if i'm correct the question wouldn't arise.

Or are you referring to her gender?

Yes

RichardCoulter 25-10-2022 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138446)
Yes

These days I doubt that many people would have refrained from voting for her because she was a woman.

She was the third female PM, but he is the first PM of colour.

The comments about his ethnicity are starting already. I've just seen a post where the Downing Street cat is seen walking away with a suitcase saying "I'm off, I don't fancy ending up in a curry".

jfman 25-10-2022 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36138447)
These days I doubt that many people would have refrained from voting for her because she was a woman.

The comments about his ethnicity are starting already. I've just seen a post where the Downing Street cat is seen walking away with a suitcase saying "I'm off, I don't fancy ending up in a curry".

Racists might not vote for him but there's no evidence that the "PC/Woke" brigade would proactively seek out voting for him regardless of his policies.

Ms NTL 25-10-2022 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36138447)

Another criterion might be the penis size

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6161691.stm

Hancock (apologies for the pun) had an affair, Truss had an affair, BoJo has created 5-7 kids so far, May none, Major-Currie nukie etc. Perhaps, this is something that has to disected (aouuch) as skin colour is not important but size might be more important.

Skin colour is not important. Penis size is equally unimportant

Sephiroth 25-10-2022 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138441)
There's nothing politically correct about voting Conservative regardless of the colour of the leader.

Excellent use of words. I will, of course, keep voting Conservative.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36138451)
Another criterion might be the penis size

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6161691.stm

Hancock (apologies for the pun) had an affair, Truss had an affair, BoJo has created 5-7 kids so far, May none, Major-Currie nukie etc. Perhaps, this is something that has to disected (aouuch) as skin colour is not important but size might be more important.

Skin colour is not important. Penis size is equally unimportant

You watched last night's programme too!

Dave42 25-10-2022 21:42

Cruella back shocking

Hugh 25-10-2022 21:47

Luckily, she wasn’t fired from the same post a week ago for a National Security breach…

Quote:

Liz Truss fired Home Secretary Suella Braverman for what was described as a national security breach, a dramatic move that heaps even more pressure on Britain’s premier as she clings to power.

Braverman shared secret documents on a personal mobile phone, four officials familiar with the matter said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ecurity-breach

What was it Sunak promised in his speed today - "restore trust, rebuild confidence" and " Integrity & Accountability?"

Sephiroth 25-10-2022 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138460)
Luckily, she wasn’t fired from the same post a week ago for a National Security breach…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ecurity-breach

What was it Sunak promised in his speed today - "restore trust, rebuild confidence" and " Integrity & Accountability?"

Your sarcasm well exceeds Braverman's transgression.
She's an excellent appointment.

Hugh 25-10-2022 22:23

Someone* who passed on highly sensitive documents to another person who isn’t cleared is an "excellent appointment"? She sent it to her private email, then tried to send it from there to John Hayes - this was an active attempt to breach security protocols.

*the same person who is in charge of the Departments (MI5, GCHQ, Special Branch) whose job is to ensure that classified information doesn’t fall into the wrong hands?

It wasn’t a transgression, it was a premeditated security breach - if a Civil Servant had done it, they would have been prosecuted.

Irony doesn’t begin to describe what is happening, so I believe sarcasm is justified…

Dave42 25-10-2022 22:44

Quote:

At noon Rishi Sunak promised “integrity, professionalism & accountability”

At 5pm he made Suella Braverman Home Secretary, 1wk after she resigned for Ministerial Code breach/security lapse

He put party before country. Security is too important for this irresponsible Tory chaos
https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/s...49324144062467

100% spot on Yvette

Sephiroth 25-10-2022 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138466)
Someone* who passed on highly sensitive documents to another person who isn’t cleared is an "excellent appointment"? She sent it to her private email, then tried to send it from there to John Hayes - this was an active attempt to breach security protocols.

*the same person who is in charge of the Departments (MI5, GCHQ, Special Branch) whose job is to ensure that classified information doesn’t fall into the wrong hands?

It wasn’t a transgression, it was a premeditated security breach - if a Civil Servant had done it, they would have been prosecuted.

Irony doesn’t begin to describe what is happening, so I believe sarcasm is justified

Of course you do.

Hugh 25-10-2022 23:09

So do you think it’s ok for the person in charge of our Nation’s security to actively try to evade measures put in place to ensure highly sensitive information doesn’t get passed to persons who aren’t cleared to receive it?

Sephiroth 25-10-2022 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138469)
So do you think it’s ok for the person in charge of our Nation’s security to actively try to evade measures put in place to ensure highly sensitive information doesn’t get passed to persons who aren’t cleared to receive it?

You're completely over-egging the transgression. Knuckles were rapped, lesson learned and she has a popular programme of work to fulfil.

Get over it, You're always so holier than thou, as well as sarcastic.

Paul 26-10-2022 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138469)
..actively try to evade measures put in place

I'm pretty sure she stated she made an "honest mistake", not set out to with some nefarious plot to "actively evade". :rolleyes:

Its also seems to be some peoples opinion that the whole thing was a bit of a charade to write a stinging resignation letter.

1andrew1 26-10-2022 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36138470)
You're completely over-egging the transgression. Knuckles were rapped, lesson learned and she has a popular programme of work to fulfil.

The unsuccessful Rwanda plan and the inability post Brexit to return asylum seekers to France do not make her programme popular. Like Truss, her actions speak louder than her words.

I thought Sunak had appointed her to try and unify the Party and not for her track record. I'm now hearing that it was likely a reward for her crucial endorsement.

Damien 26-10-2022 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36138470)

He is right though that if that had been a pleb they would at least have been fired. Obviously, we expect less of our politicians than we do of each other so that no longer disqualifies anyone from high office.

daveeb 26-10-2022 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36138486)
He is right though that if that had been a pleb they would at least have been fired. Obviously, we expect less of our politicians than we do of each other so that no longer disqualifies anyone from high office.

Quite right. Leading by example isn't in vogue any more, rather do as I say not as I do. The government have been consistent on this for a long time.

Kursk 26-10-2022 09:22

When can we expect the result of her prosecution under The Official Secrets Act 1989? Rules are rules after all or can we all enjoy impunity (and with reward)?

jfman 26-10-2022 09:32

Fair play to Rishi he found time on his first day to phone the First Ministers in the colonies. Something his predecessor didn’t manage at all in her tenure.

Hugh 26-10-2022 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36138479)
I'm pretty sure she stated she made an "honest mistake", not set out to with some nefarious plot to "actively evade". :rolleyes:

Its also seems to be some peoples opinion that the whole thing was a bit of a charade to write a stinging resignation letter.

Not sure sending information from your Government email account to your private Gmail account, then sending on that information to individuals from the Gmail account, could be classed as an "honest mistake"…

Looks more like a premeditated effort to avoid an email trail on the Government email system.

ianch99 26-10-2022 10:04

Sunak (and the Tory Party) have really missed an opportunity to have a chance at the next GE. He could have moved the Party back towards the centre ground, reaching out to the One Nation Conservatives (what is left of them) and consciously repositioned the trajectory of the next two years so he could have something to fight Starmer with.

Instead, he is just trolling us, continuing the right-wing journey that preceded him. By appointing:

- Badenoch, anti-trans and anti-equal marriage "culture war" hero as Minister for Women and Equalities
- Braverman, a facist-wannabe who is proud of her mission to remove our freedoms
- Coffey, in charge of the environment ... just think what damage this witless idiot can cause here
- Hunt, who is actively designing Austerity 2.0 as we speak

The list goes on ..

Just to be clear, by far the worst appointment is Braverman. She will go first I suspect. It is also remarkable how people who you may have thought were rationale, objective thinkers stand up an applaud such a person. It shows how much this country has changed regards its politics and what people are comfortable in now saying out loud.

Maggy 26-10-2022 10:08

After the last 6 months I don't trust any of this particular newish set of faces to actually do anything different to the ways they have slipped into over the last 10-12 years.It's going to be business as usual to grab as much lolly as possible before possibly tory light Starmer possibly gets a chance.

Pierre 26-10-2022 10:14

Absolute Tosh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36138504)
- Badenoch, anti-trans and anti-equal marriage "culture war" hero as Minister for Women and Equalities

What has she said that is anti-trans?
Quote:

- Braverman, a facist-wannabe who is proud of her mission to remove our freedoms
Presuming you actually know what the word fascist means, which I doubt. Explain to me how she is a fascist and what freedoms she is removing?
Quote:

- Coffey, in charge of the environment ... just think what damage this witless idiot can cause here
I can't think of anything, what damage do you think she can do?
Quote:

Well someone has to.

Typical baseless rant, this isn't twitter you know.

papa smurf 26-10-2022 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138495)
Fair play to Rishi he found time on his first day to phone the First Ministers in the colonies. Something his predecessor didn’t manage at all in her tenure.

She didn't ring local council leaders in England either

Ms NTL 26-10-2022 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36138506)
Absolute Tosh.

What has she said that is anti-trans?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jg8z...n-leaked-audio

1andrew1 26-10-2022 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138502)
Not sure sending information from your Government email account to your private Gmail account, then sending on that information to individuals from the Gmail account, could be classed as an "honest mistake"…

Looks more like a premeditated effort to avoid an email trail on the Government email system.

It was an honest mistake to copy in the wrong person from her personal email account.

But it was clearly a deliberate action to email the document to her personal Gmail account and then use that account to circulate the document.

Mick 26-10-2022 11:12

Back on topic. Suella Braverman, isn’t the topic.

jfman 26-10-2022 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36138504)
Sunak (and the Tory Party) have really missed an opportunity to have a chance at the next GE. He could have moved the Party back towards the centre ground, reaching out to the One Nation Conservatives (what is left of them) and consciously repositioned the trajectory of the next two years so he could have something to fight Starmer with.

Instead, he is just trolling us, continuing the right-wing journey that preceded him. By appointing:

The list goes on ..

Just to be clear, by far the worst appointment is Braverman. She will go first I suspect. It is also remarkable how people who you may have thought were rationale, objective thinkers stand up an applaud such a person. It shows how much this country has changed regards its politics and what people are comfortable in now saying out loud.

If you want to be generous - and I’m not really but to be the devil’s advocate - he has no real mandate from the country or membership. A couple of MPs with a dozen or so friends each could collapse his Premiership sooner rather than later.

Essentially the problem is the Conservative party as a whole.

denphone 26-10-2022 11:17

Rishi Sunak delays fiscal statement until 17 November.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...il-17-november

ianch99 26-10-2022 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138515)
If you want to be generous - and I’m not really but to be the devil’s advocate - he has no real mandate from the country or membership. A couple of MPs with a dozen or so friends each could collapse his Premiership sooner rather than later.

Essentially the problem is the Conservative party as a whole.

Agreed but the fact he has no mandate, from anyone, is self-evident. The point I was making is the missed opportunity which now will make Starmer's life easier.