Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

RizzyKing 31-07-2016 23:24

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Anyone who voted on the basis of campaigns from either side was onto a loser and anyone who was swayed by either campaign clearly didn't look too much into the subject as neither campaign gave out much real information. There was clearly a group who went into all of this with none to little idea on their position or reason for it and they were probably evenly split between both sides. Majority i suspect had their decision made before the campaign started and voted that way.

Big Brian 01-08-2016 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35851997)
Anyone who voted on the basis of campaigns from either side was onto a loser and anyone who was swayed by either campaign clearly didn't look too much into the subject as neither campaign gave out much real information. There was clearly a group who went into all of this with none to little idea on their position or reason for it and they were probably evenly split between both sides. Majority i suspect had their decision made before the campaign started and voted that way.

Have to agree with that. Nothing tangible came out of any of the debates.

heero_yuy 01-08-2016 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35851903)
Well I don't know about you but my mates and I spent many an hour contemplating the cold war and nuclear armageddon. The future didn't look all that bright then, in fact it looked MAD...

Nuke 'em :D

Hugh 01-08-2016 17:15

From orbit, just to be sure...

Big Brian 02-08-2016 13:06

Brexit: All you need to know about the UK leaving the EU

This article is designed to be an easy-to-understand guide on what happens now that the UK has voted to leave the European Union.

What does Brexit mean?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887

papa smurf 02-08-2016 16:53

VOTE LEAVE VICTORY! Official figures reveal UK billed MORE than £350m each week by EU

NEW figures have revealed that Vote Leave under-estimated the amount of money demanded by the EU from the UK each week by £26 million.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/695...K-350-bus-cost

Ramrod 02-08-2016 17:05

More "in" campaign lies uncovered:
Quote:

Wolfgang Schaeuble, the German finance minister, came to London to tell us that “out means out”, and that we’d be treated like any third country; now he says that George Osborne told him to use those words, and that a special deal will be found.
link
Quote:

Brexit scare stories are evaporating like morning dew. France was going to throw our immigration officers out of Calais; now it says they’re staying.
Quote:

Before the vote, Siemens threatened that Brexit would bring “significant and negative long-term effects”. Now, its chief executive, Joe Kaeser, says: “We’re here to stay”

heero_yuy 02-08-2016 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35852188)
More "in" campaign lies uncovered:

link

I wonder what sweeteners Cameron had promised these companies in return for their support of project fear? Plenty more to be revealed methinks.

Osem 02-08-2016 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35852201)
I wonder what sweeteners Cameron had promised these companies in return for their support of project fear? Plenty more to be revealed methinks.

Well I dare say the EU is a nice little current and future earner for some very powerful people and global organisations. I'm sure they'd have very much appreciated having the UK still in the club and able to influence policy favourably.

Lets face it, the stakes are massive and the future rewards for those 'on side' are considerable. Just a pity for them that the public rained on their parade eh...

Hugh 02-08-2016 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35852186)
VOTE LEAVE VICTORY! Official figures reveal UK billed MORE than £350m each week by EU

NEW figures have revealed that Vote Leave under-estimated the amount of money demanded by the EU from the UK each week by £26 million.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/695...K-350-bus-cost

Erm, the Vote Leave didn't quote a 'billed' figure, but stated the £350 million a week was sent to Europe.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=35...Q9Lzu4W7hkM%3A

But you knew that...

TheDaddy 02-08-2016 20:42

Uk building sector has shrunk to lowest level since 2009, another victory...

nomadking 02-08-2016 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35852242)
Uk building sector has shrunk to lowest level since 2009, another victory...

Quote:

The Markit/Cips data for July showed that the purchasing managers' index, or PMI, for the construction industry fell to 45.9 in July from 46.0 in June.
The index measures new orders, deliveries and employment, among other things, and is considered a key indicator in the confidence of the construction sector.
A 0.1 drop, that's huge. Construction projects are a LONG TERM thing. Buying of land, design plans, planning permission, all take time. Any new orders, deliveries, and employment would be as a result of projects planned near the beginning of the year. Therefore nothing to do with Brexit. There's a surprise.

Quote:

The figures deal a further blow to a sector that was already in recession in the second quarter and has been greatly underperforming the rest of the economy, Markit said.

RizzyKing 02-08-2016 22:18

Of the six family members i have in the building trade none are seeing less work quite the opposite they are farming work out to other company's as they have too much. If you want to see gloom you can find something to back it up and right now there are a lot of gloomy people in the UK.

TheDaddy 03-08-2016 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35852245)
A 0.1 drop, that's huge. Construction projects are a LONG TERM thing. Buying of land, design plans, planning permission, all take time. Any new orders, deliveries, and employment would be as a result of projects planned near the beginning of the year. Therefore nothing to do with Brexit. There's a surprise.

Don't try and tell me my job, it's been awful since Christmas and the projects that were postponed for the vote are now being shelved all together, I hear that everyday from clients.

tweetiepooh 03-08-2016 10:07

Just back from Cyprus and our small poll there runs
Local Cypriots - want out of the EU but will never get the vote (tourist facing job people)
Ex-pats - want to stay, worried about change BUT one couple pointed out that some benefits were in place prior to EU because Cyprus is part of Commonwealth.

---

As an aside one restaurateur said when he opened he was approached by British expats who asked what discount he would give. When replied none they said "You don't understand, we're expats, what discount will you give us 10%, 20%, 30%". He didn't give any and since he is still there, full of locals (and we were full of his food) we didn't really care he wasn't full of Brits.