Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

OhReally 24-11-2016 00:32

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35871345)
Several broadcasters (eg Sky's entertainment channels) have also reduced their SD resolution over the years, which makes the difference even bigger

You can't surely, you could reduce the bit rate...an SD picture is a fixed size isn't it?

Inactive Digital 24-11-2016 05:44

They do both I'm afraid, many channels now broadcast 544x576 pixels, which is 3/4 of the proper SD resolution (720x576).

When Sky bought Virgin Media Television, the first thing they did was reduce the resolution of Living etc.

cj136uk 24-11-2016 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35871403)
They do both I'm afraid, many channels now broadcast 544x576 pixels, which is 3/4 of the proper SD resolution (720x576).

When Sky bought Virgin Media Television, the first thing they did was reduce the resolution of Living etc.

As I understand it Ofcom and the BBC have looked into the technical standards, what people can actually see etc etc. This isn't noticiable by many and newer TVs have settings which, I believe, work with this standard. It looks like channel's 1-5 will follow with the main channels and the sister channels.

Kabaal 24-11-2016 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj136uk (Post 35871412)
As I understand it Ofcom and the BBC have looked into the technical standards, what people can actually see etc etc. This isn't noticiable by many and newer TVs have settings which, I believe, work with this standard. It looks like channel's 1-5 will follow with the main channels and the sister channels.

When was that? 10 years ago most people were rocking 28" TV's and DVD players, nowadays you can get cheap 65" TVs from the likes of hisense for under a grand. What people can notice is much different today than it was yesterday.

cj136uk 24-11-2016 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35871414)
When was that? 10 years ago most people were rocking 28" TV's and DVD players, nowadays you can get cheap 65" TVs from the likes of hisense for under a grand. What people can notice is much different today than it was yesterday.

I don't disagree although the experts think otherwise

Jong1 24-11-2016 10:26

Personally I'm happy if they make SD worse. It will force all channels with any pretence of quality to move to HD or better.

On the rare occasion, now, I have to watch SD (normally when my wife is watching cookery), I just accept it's **** and ignore it.

Ultimate.Conj 24-11-2016 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong1 (Post 35871428)
Personally I'm happy if they make SD worse. It will force all channels with any pretence of quality to move to HD or better.

On the rare occasion, now, I have to watch SD (normally when my wife is watching cookery), I just accept it's **** and ignore it.

That's terrible mate, you shouldn't put up with that :angel:

No place for SD in my house haha
If someone has put on a SD movie channel, I can tell as soon as I walk into the room and switch it to the HD channel lol

heavyside 24-11-2016 11:37

Having replaced two TVs in the last two years I can say that some sets do a much better job than others of up-scaling the picture. On one of my sets the SD picture quality is almost as good as the HD picture quality on the other. It's still possible to tell the difference especially when viewing text on screen.

oliver1948uk 24-11-2016 14:59

On my 37 inch Panasonic family members notice little difference between the excellent SD and HD picture quality. I put this down to very good upscaling of the Tivo and a high quality TV ( though it is several years old).
The problem with BBC 1 HD is that you do not get the local news.

cj136uk 24-11-2016 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35871455)
On my 37 inch Panasonic family members notice little difference between the excellent SD and HD picture quality. I put this down to very good upscaling of the Tivo and a high quality TV ( though it is several years old).
The problem with BBC 1 HD is that you do not get the local news.

Hd bbc1 expensive infrastructure needdd for little airtime

paultrademark 24-11-2016 15:17

They manage fine with BBC1 Scotland HD

trickytree 24-11-2016 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon60 (Post 35871327)
It doesn't, you'd need the Slingbox 500 for that, however the 500 didn't support HDCP so it wouldn't work on some channels. I don't think it was ever released in the UK.

I've had to do:
Code:

TiVo -> HDMI Splitter -> Output 1 to TV
                      -> Output 2 to HDFury then Component to Slingbox Pro HD

I think I may move my 1Tb TiVo to the bedroom along with the Slingbox and try and hope that works for a while longer yet and get the V6 as the main box downstairs.

Otherwise it's getting costly with buying a new Slingbox and converters from what I can tell :(

RichardCoulter 24-11-2016 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35871399)
You can't surely, you could reduce the bit rate...an SD picture is a fixed size isn't it?

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/11/o...ical-code.html

Ofcom are to scrap the requirement for minimum standards in favour of letting the market decide what is best.

They say that they don't expect TV companies to reduce the picture quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35871458)
They manage fine with BBC1 Scotland HD

The BBC nations have been done, the BBC intend to convert the 15 regions to HD over one to two years from 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/abouttheb...3-7963e8ec1225

Pbryanw 24-11-2016 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35871460)
The BBC nations have been done, the BBC intend to convert the 15 regions to HD over one to two years from 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/abouttheb...3-7963e8ec1225

Yes, here's to finally getting Look North in HD by 2017. Peter Levy in High Definition, and Keeley Donovan!

(Now back to the topic at hand ;) )

clayts 25-11-2016 17:56

Had a good chat with a VM technician today who came to swap out my old TiVo which had failed.

He advised me he'd only fitted one V6, and that all the initial 10,000 that went out have been installed.

He has been advised that the next batch won't be available until February in the East Midlands, so I wouldn't get too excited about the launch next week - seems there aren't warehouses full of V6s ready to install.

He also noted that the idea is that the majority of these will be self-installs, and customers will be able to arrange delivery at a time convenient to them - could possibly involve a system where Yodel and VM link up and customers can book a delivery via Yodel.

Nice bloke, to be fair, and seemed to know what he was talking about