Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686708)

nicko 27-06-2012 13:40

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

It isn't wasted time, how can it be the customers want it, Virgin wouldn't have done it without a demand for it.
Running a business should be about looking after your customers wants and needs, and with this update Virgin have done that, so it can't be wasted time

passingbat 27-06-2012 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35447032)
All it does is pop up a reminder that it is starting, TiVo will still record it. Which I think is a waste of time but I'm guessing due to the y TiVo works is the only way they could implement it.

Someone has posted that it auto switches to output the 'reminder channel'. Is this not the case?

nicko 27-06-2012 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35447034)
Someone has posted that it auto switches to output the 'reminder channel'. Is this not the case?

Yes it is, the default is to change channel.

tycho 27-06-2012 13:43

If it's a pilot of the next firmware update (in full? Ben was't specific), then can anyone with the update advise what else there is in addition to reminders - I'd hate reminders to be the ONLY noticable change.......

Specifically, if anyone can test if they have enabled Multiroom Streaming that would be great :)

Cheers
T

BenMcr 27-06-2012 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycho (Post 35447037)
If it's a pilot of the next firmware update (in full? Ben was't specific), then can anyone with the update advise what else there is in addition to reminders - I'd hate reminders to be the ONLY noticable change.......

Specifically, if anyone can test if they have enabled Multiroom Streaming that would be great :)

Cheers
T

I believe you can now set global recording options for single recordings, series links and Wishlists, and that there are less screens in playing VoD from a Search

tycho 27-06-2012 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35447040)
I believe you can now set global recording options for single recordings, series links and Wishlists, and that there are less screens in playing VoD from a Search

Many thanks for the info Ben, much apprecaited!

No MRS then <sobs>....;)

passingbat 27-06-2012 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicko (Post 35447033)
It isn't wasted time, how can it be the customers want it,

It's debatable as to wheather that was a small proportion of customers who moaned very loudly.

In my view, some people just get stuck in old outmoded viewing habits and won't move with the times.

That development money could have been spent on other things; for example, a way of backing up series links and Whishlists. Because, unlike with V+ or Sky boxes, series links last forever (not just for a season), you need these and whishlists protecting in case of a box failure.

Maybe we would have multiroom by now if resources hadn't been tied up in providing reminders?

mentalis 27-06-2012 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadge (Post 35446891)
Reminders have finally arrived on tivo.

I look forward to trying this tonight.

passingbat 27-06-2012 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35447040)
I believe you can now set global recording options for single recordings, series links and Wishlists,

Now, that will be a good upgrade!

BenMcr 27-06-2012 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycho (Post 35447041)
No MRS then <sobs>....;)

MRS doesn't need a firmware update as it's already there.

What it will need is a full end to end support model and product i.e. how Virgin recommend connecting two TiVos together

Stephen 27-06-2012 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35447034)

What I meant was that it still records the program. So reminders seem a bit pointless.

tycho 27-06-2012 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35447051)
MRS doesn't need a firmware update as it's already there.

What it will need is a full end to end support model and product i.e. how Virgin recommend connecting two TiVos together

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that - I appreciate MRS is down to a licencing issue and a 'How to do it in a user friendy way' - I guess i was just hoping that they would use this next update to turn it on, in much the same way they used the last update to turn the Sky PIP on, even though that was only disabled due to a licencing agreement, rather than needing any technical work to fix.

Looks like this isn't going to happen this time.

Just out of interest, do you beleive that even if the licencing is sorted, that deployment will be delayed untill the connection improvement method is decided upon - even though many of us are more that happy to use Cat5/6 cables that we already have in place?

Dont take this as having a go - i'm genuinly interested - I just cant see the logic in denying those of us that can use it today, whilst you wait for something that can help the masses tomorrow.

Regards
T

BenMcr 27-06-2012 14:11

To be honest, I've got no idea as to the progress of any connection solution

passingbat 27-06-2012 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35447056)
So reminders seem a bit pointless.

You don't need to tell me that; implementing reminders was a waste of development resources in my view. But those who wanted auto channel change for a specific show have now got that, so hopefully they will be happy.

Stephen 27-06-2012 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35447062)
You don't need to tell me that; implementing reminders was a waste of development resources in my view. But those who wanted auto channel change for a specific show have now got that, so hopefully they will be happy.

They probably won't be as the program still gets recorded.