Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681059)

muppetman11 14-10-2012 08:56

Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35484706)
Does anyone know I Sky have a limit on the amount of series links that can be set?

I doubt it why ?

Doz007 14-10-2012 09:21

It's something that's never crossed my mind but I noticed DirecTV were touting 'upto 100 series links' as a feature on their new DVR.

Now at the moment I've got around 30 series links set up but with the shared planner due soon, having access to a potential 6 tuners I can see this number rising rapidly.

I know that TiVo advertise 'unlimited season passes' but I can't seem to find any information on Sky+HD.

muppetman11 14-10-2012 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35484733)
It's something that's never crossed my mind but I noticed DirecTV were touting 'upto 100 series links' as a feature on their new DVR.

Now at the moment I've got around 30 series links set up but with the shared planner due soon, having access to a potential 6 tuners I can see this number rising rapidly.

I know that TiVo advertise 'unlimited season passes' but I can't seem to find any information on Sky+HD.

I'm sure there'll be no issue with this :)

Surely each box will be able to set so many S/L , you have 3 so shouldn't be an issue.

Doz007 14-10-2012 09:34

Yes, of course MM. I was forgetting that key detail! :dunce:

It would still be interesting to know if there is any hard limit though, just to appease my curiosity. :D

muppetman11 14-10-2012 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35484737)

It would still be interesting to know if there is any hard limit though, just to appease my curiosity. :D

You worry too much mate , I can't see it being an issue at all , I'm thinking of upgrading one of my Sky+HD boxes to the 2TB when my contracts due in the new year.

colin25 14-10-2012 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35484733)

Your issue will be time..to watch them all..and space to save because you can't watch it all :D

spiderplant 14-10-2012 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35484737)

There must be a limit, because it has to store them in a finite memory. But the limit is probably so high it's not worth worrying about.

Doz007 14-10-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35484742)
You worry too much mate , I can't see it being an issue at all , I'm thinking of upgrading one of my Sky+HD boxes to the 2TB when my contracts due in the new year.

Yeah, I'm planning on doing the same for when the Shared planner feature does launch. I need to order a couple of the £10 wifi adapters as well so that I'm all prepared.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35484745)
Your issue will be time..to watch them all..and space to save because you can't watch it all :D

Too true mate! It's better to have too many things to watch than not enough though. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35484754)
There must be a limit, because it has to store them in a finite memory. But the limit is probably so high it's not worth worrying about.

You're no doubt right Spiderplant but that makes DirecTV's marketing of their HD, 5 Tuner DVR all the more puzzling... :confused:

Jameseh 14-10-2012 13:24

Isn't the DirecTV one the setup where you have the 'master' box and then 'slave' boxes around the home? If you had a household of 5 people (which I am sure was the limit if I am correct with the company), 20 each seems pants for a company of their size.

spiderplant 14-10-2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35484769)
You're no doubt right Spiderplant but that makes DirecTV's marketing of their HD, 5 Tuner DVR all the more puzzling... :confused:

A quick Google says that their previous boxes only support 50. So they think the increase to 100 is worth shouting about.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/element...entID=11006525

muppetman11 14-10-2012 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35484795)
Isn't the DirecTV one the setup where you have the 'master' box and then 'slave' boxes around the home? If you had a household of 5 people (which I am sure was the limit if I am correct with the company), 20 each seems pants for a company of their size.

DirecTV Genie is a 5 tuner 1 TB DVR which is the only STB needed in the home , every other TV in the house uses a genie mini client (small box) to connect , I would seriously doubt any house will set more than 100 series links at one time.

Just noticed in my planner that my series link for 'Good Cop' picked the delayed episode up yesterday.

Doz007 15-10-2012 19:12

Have Sky announced a date for their new 'N' Wifi adapters yet?

I heard a while back that they were due October time but the 'technical specs' on the product page are next to useless.

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/wireless-connector/

muppetman11 15-10-2012 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35485369)
Have Sky announced a date for their new 'N' Wifi adapters yet?

I heard a while back that they were due October time but the 'technical specs' on the product page are next to useless.

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/wireless-connector/

Leave it a while longer , I believe there selling their remaining stock of 'G' adapters before replacing with the new 'N' adapters according to the forums.

I personally prefer homeplugs.

Doz007 15-10-2012 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35485383)
Leave it a while longer , I believe there selling their remaining stock of 'G' adapters before replacing with the new 'N' adapters according to the forums.

I personally prefer homeplugs.

I was going to go down the homeplug route whilst Sky wanted £59.99 but for a tenner you can't go wrong. :)

muppetman11 16-10-2012 10:14

BSkyB makes land-grab for all Harry Potter films

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ter-films.html