Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

iadom 04-02-2021 19:48

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

First I've heard of it but it doesn't make sense to have Netflix access ticked when it's always been available in the apps etc ??

denphone 04-02-2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36069440)
I may be wrong, but I don't think that Virgin include Netflix as part of a bundle.

It is not as far as l know.

iadom 04-02-2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36069446)
It is not as far as l know.

No reason why it couldn’t be though, not so long ago I found out that for reasons as yet unexplained I was paying Netflix direct and again through VM. :confused: Cancelled them both about 10 months ago.

I still can’t see any reason to have Netflix alone listed as part of my bundle, doesn’t make sense.

denphone 04-02-2021 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36069449)
No reason why it couldn’t be though, not so long ago I found out that for reasons as yet unexplained I was paying Netflix direct and again through VM. :confused: Cancelled them both about 10 months ago.

I still can’t see any reason to have Netflix alone listed as part of my bundle, doesn’t make sense.

l know as Virgin seem to make things harder for themselves sometimes.

Legendkiller2k 04-02-2021 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36069449)

It's coming part of a ultra on demand package.
No timeframe as of yet though as soon as something more comes in work about it i'll let you guys know what i can.

1andrew1 04-02-2021 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36069475)
No timeframe as of yet though as soon as something more comes in work about it i'll let you guys know what i can.

That sounds like Old Boy's kind of package. ;)

vincerooney 05-02-2021 00:16

Quote:

Will it save us any money getting it through virgin media or literally just the same price but we pay it through virgin media?

Any other apps potentially on the way pal?

iadom 05-02-2021 10:03

Quote:

Sounds good, would appear that I am already signed up for it, if and when it arrives. :cool:

Legendkiller2k 05-02-2021 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36069479)
Will it save us any money getting it through virgin media or literally just the same price but we pay it through virgin media?

Any other apps potentially on the way pal?

It would be as part of your vm bill, as far as we know it'll be Discovery+, Netflix and Disney+ no timeframe as of yet.

SonicMaster 05-02-2021 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36069521)
It would be as part of your vm bill, as far as we know it'll be Discovery+, Netflix and Disney+ no timeframe as of yet.

So is it confirmed that Discovery+ and Disney+ are coming to VM? If so, that's great news!

OLD BOY 05-02-2021 17:28

Quote:

That sounds good, although having Prime with it would be even better!

Hopefully, when this new package is offered, we will simply be able to get it without losing our existing watchlists. I don’t fancy inputting all that again, although I expect it will be a necessary evil!

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36069476)
That sounds like Old Boy's kind of package. ;)

Close! ;)

Legendkiller2k 06-02-2021 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36069551)
That sounds good, although having Prime with it would be even better!

Hopefully, when this new package is offered, we will simply be able to get it without losing our existing watchlists. I don’t fancy inputting all that again, although I expect it will be a necessary evil!

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Close! ;)

Amazon have no intrest in bundling with anyone, SKY have already asked.
Content wise there are a lot of ideas been put forward regarding VM and more on demand content, hopefully you can understand i have to be very careful what info i give at this time.

OLD BOY 06-02-2021 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36069678)
Amazon have no intrest in bundling with anyone, SKY have already asked.
Content wise there are a lot of ideas been put forward regarding VM and more on demand content, hopefully you can understand i have to be very careful what info i give at this time.

Of course, and you need to be careful what you reveal.

My Sony software has just been updated and I am delighted to see they have added Apple+!

It would be great if this was also on VM, but this is a good second best, along with Now TV.

nashville 07-02-2021 14:59

Watched The Dig the other. Night quite enjoyed it,

muppetman11 08-02-2021 22:16

What do people think of Netflix UHD picture quality ? I still find it quite good but not as good as that of Apple TV+ which at the moment to my eyes seems to offer the best visual quality even if it's lacking in choice.

I read this with interest.

Chris 08-02-2021 22:36

I find both Disney and Apple have a tendency to look too dark when they send 4K HDR streams to my TV. That’s not a problem I’ve ever noticed with Netflix. I also find Disney and Apple are prone to visible degradation in picture quality when my download speed is only just enough for 4K (so it periodically drops down a notch when bandwidth dips). Netflix is to my eyes far better at handling the steps up and down between picture quality levels at various bandwidths. It’s worth noting by the way, that article isn’t saying Netflix is reducing the quality of its 4K streams. It is employing a more sophisticated variable bitrate scheme that means it can send higher bitrates than its current 4K maximum when the scene requires it, but lower bitrates when possible. In theory, fast-moving, complex scenes should actually look better as they have lifted their maximum bitrate cap.

vincerooney 08-02-2021 23:42

Quote:

It'll be great to have disney+ on the v6 if that happens. But i'm not sure whether i'd get them grouped in with my bill. If i don't save any money is it worth it? Trying to see the benefits ? Am i missing something other than the good news of actually having the app to view via the tivo

heavyside 09-02-2021 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36069907)
What do people think of Netflix UHD picture quality ? I still find it quite good but not as good as that of Apple TV+ which at the moment to my eyes seems to offer the best visual quality even if it's lacking in choice.

I read this with interest.

Of the shows I have watched recently, I have found the PQ of the few UHD programmes on BBC iPlayer to be the best followed by Amazon Prime with Netflix only third.

Legendkiller2k 09-02-2021 11:56

Eurosport player is currently 99p p/m for 2 months via Amazon prime.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36069916)
It'll be great to have disney+ on the v6 if that happens. But i'm not sure whether i'd get them grouped in with my bill. If i don't save any money is it worth it? Trying to see the benefits ? Am i missing something other than the good news of actually having the app to view via the tivo

It really depends on your viewing habits, later this month STAR gets added to Disney+ which will be more mature content aka FOX, ABX, FX etc aswell as more mature movies aka die hard etc.

DVD Cinema 22-02-2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36069924)
Of the shows I have watched recently, I have found the PQ of the few UHD programmes on BBC iPlayer to be the best followed by Amazon Prime with Netflix only third.

Do you think UHD iPlayer is better than a BBC HD live broadcast?

Disney/Apple is up to 30mbps.

Interesting what Netflix are doing with a higher max vbr.

Can't say as i have noticed any posterisation on Disney+, unlike BBC HD/Channel 4 HD.

Amazon Prime only gets to HD on my V6 with 1080p screen. Lots of posterisation. Fire TV is 1080p.

Disney Star is 23rd February 2021 launch.

Legendkiller2k 26-02-2021 13:12

Prepare for trouble and make it double, to protect the world from devastation, to unite all people in our nation.
I can't remember the rest lol but pokemon tv app is on it's way to all major plaforms this year.

It is already on ROKU, Appletv but is making it's way to Android tv, 360(i presume that means vm) and SKYQ.

muppetman11 26-02-2021 14:35

Can't wait for that :D:D

Mad Max 26-02-2021 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36072116)
Prepare for trouble and make it double, to protect the world from devastation, to unite all people in our nation.
I can't remember the rest lol but pokemon tv app is on it's way to all major plaforms this year.

It is already on ROKU, Appletv but is making it's way to Android tv, 360(i presume that means vm) and SKYQ.

ffs, :D

Legendkiller2k 26-02-2021 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36072169)
ffs, :D

I knew you'd be delighted about it :D

Legendkiller2k 02-03-2021 11:59

Freeview have approved a number of proposals one which includes channels delivered over broadband. https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/freevi...alter-service/

OLD BOY 02-03-2021 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36072635)
Freeview have approved a number of proposals one which includes channels delivered over broadband. https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/freevi...alter-service/

It will be interesting to see where all this leads in the longer term. Interesting times.

Hugh 02-03-2021 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072650)
It will be interesting to see where all this leads in the longer term. Interesting times.

Definitely - if broadcast channels can be sent over broadband.

Quote:

Another proposal that was approved today, and could have major ramifications on how Freeview works, is the possibility to stream Freeview channels via the internet, without the need for an aerial (or when reception is bad).

In a way, this is already possible today, via a workaround: You can already stream live versions of some of the major Freeview Play channels via their dedicated apps (BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc).

However, with the upcoming changes, you would not need to manually run each app and look for its live feed. Instead, you would simply switch to a channel as you did before, but that channel would be delivered to you via broadband instead of over-the-air.

1andrew1 02-03-2021 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072684)

I wonder if this will spur Sky on? It had announced a future broadband-delivered TV service a few years ago which launched in Italy but not the UK.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/sky/148401-sky-x

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072650)

Towards more linear channels. :D

jfman 02-03-2021 18:20

Quote:

Which brings me to the question OB insists on dodging.

Is this linear? :confused:

Mad Max 02-03-2021 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072690)

Jeez, glad I read that twice...:D

1andrew1 02-03-2021 18:37

Quote:

That would be an ecumenical matter. :D

OLD BOY 02-03-2021 19:43

Quote:

Can you not see how ridiculous this looks, jfman? Move on, for heaven’s sake.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:

Why are you and others on here obsessed with scheduled channels when on demand is a much more appropriate way of presenting content over the internet? How does choosing content via TV channels trump choosing by content?

jfman 02-03-2021 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072708)
Can you not see how ridiculous this looks, jfman? Move on, for heaven’s sake.

No more ridiculous than your evasion.

Maybe I've been phrasing the question in a confusing manner, referring to new fangled technology like apps, Chromecasts and PlayStations.

So I'll use the words of someone else. Does the second quite in Hugh's post of 17:54 today in this very thread describe linear television in your view?

Quote:

Why are you and others on here obsessed with scheduled channels when on demand is a much more appropriate way of presenting content over the internet? How does choosing content via TV channels trump choosing by content?
There is one poster around here with an obsession around here and one alone.

OLD BOY 02-03-2021 19:47

I will leave that to your confused but vivid imagination, jfman.

jfman 02-03-2021 19:52

Another opportunity to provide a yes or no answer well evaded. I'd actually applaud your persistence if it wasn't palpably ridiculous.

1andrew1 02-03-2021 20:01

Quote:

How does choosing content via TV channels trump choosing by content?

By speed and therefore by convenience. There are other reasons - less mental effort involved and it can be good to broaden your horizons and see something you wouldn't normally see.

You have to acknowledge that not everyone is the same. How do you search for films? By actor? By genre? By year of release? By franchise? By rating? By popularity? Content providers know people locate content differently and cater for these differences.

Back to TV. Rather than searching for content, some people are more than happy to whizz through their favourite channels until they see something they like. And the more housebound in the population may keep a linear channel on for company most of the day.

gba93 02-03-2021 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072720)
By speed and therefore by convenience. There are other reasons - less mental effort involved and it can be good to broaden your horizons and see something you wouldn't normally see.

You have to acknowledge that not everyone is the same. How do you search for films? By actor? By genre? By year of release? By franchise? By rating? By popularity? Content providers know people locate content differently and cater for these differences.

Back to TV. Rather than searching for content, some people are more than happy to whizz through their favourite channels until they see something they like. And the more housebound in the population may keep a linear channel on for company most of the day.

and, of course, programs that you wouldn't necessarily search for but you spot and they turn out to be a real gem.

nialli 02-03-2021 21:39

Signed up to Starzplay on my V6 at 7.30pm and you’re still “processing” my order at 9.30! Whole evening wasted. Not exactly “On Demand” is it??

muppetman11 02-03-2021 21:47

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 36072752)
and, of course, programs that you wouldn't necessarily search for but you spot and they turn out to be a real gem.

Both absolutely bang on , I've dropped on many a good programme by trawling the guide.

Chris 02-03-2021 21:56

Quote:

Why are you obsessed with repeatedly asking this same question? Seriously, you’ve been at it for years now. You know the answer you’re going to get. You know your personal preferences differ from some other forum users. Just get over it and move on.

Jings you really must be bored. Is there nothing on TV?

jfman 03-03-2021 06:32

I think unfortunately the crux of this is OB sees streaming as more than it really is. It’s not, for example, like a mobile phone - that will revolutionise where, when and how people interact compared to a landline.

Neither is it a step change in technology - like moving from 56k modems to 256k or 512k broadband.

It’s just television delivered by another means. The lower monthly cost of individual services has to some degree extended the availability of pay-tv. However these services aren’t mutually exclusive and individuals don’t see it as this completely binary battle between “linear” television (which OB struggles to define exactly what that is) and streaming.

I can equally enjoy content via the EPG, Catch up/on demand menus, via an app on a STB or on a mobile device with existing services from “streamers” and from Sky/Virgin.

OLD BOY 03-03-2021 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072714)
Another opportunity to provide a yes or no answer well evaded. I'd actually applaud your persistence if it wasn't palpably ridiculous.

I avoided answering another stupid question about linear TV simply because it has been answered many times and you are just baiting me again and again. The question has not been evaded, it has been answered already, as you well know.

I really don’t think you are genuinely puzzled by what I have been saying at all. Streaming and video on demand will replace our scheduled TV channels. It’s very simple. Your ‘linear’ arguments are quite irrelevant to these persistent feigned misunderstandings and confusion.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Quote:

Whizzing through channels attempting to find something to watch is the most inefficient means of landing on a programme you actually want to see.

We’ve all done channel hopping and trawling through EPGs. It is frustrating and unrewarding. It would not be rocket science for the streamers to be able to put in place a randomised category if that’s what you really wanted!

Categorisation is very simple. First, you have choices such as films, TV shows, documentaries, news. You can then break that down into sub categories if you want a more focussed search, such as romantic films, thriller films, etc, and then further sub-categories if you wanted that. Additionally, of course, you could just do a normal title search.

So your quest for content could be as general or as focussed as you wanted.

Chris 03-03-2021 10:02

Right, enough. Thanks to the BBC3 announcement we now have 3 different threads all discussing the same issue. I have closed all of them.

*All* pointless arguments about whether the future of TV is in linear broadcasting, video on-demand, a mixture of both, or something as-yet uninvented, should now take place here.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33709854