Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   June 8th General Election (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704776)

Ramrod 07-06-2017 21:02

Re: June 8th General Election

If Corbyn wins, the markets will be in full-scale panic
Quote:

Once global investors look at the implications of that, they won’t like it at all. Labour’s ‘Robin Hood’ tax will devastate financial services, one of our largest exporters and employers. It will do far more damage than leaving the EU. After all, why pay a tax on trading shares in London when you can simply side-step it by trading them elsewhere? Higher corporation taxes, and controls on executive pay, will drive companies out of the country, and probably to a far greater extent than leaving the Single Market. It may not be to everyone’s taste, but for forty years the UK’s key competitive advantage has been that it is a relatively low tax, lightly regulated place to base a company. If that is reversed, businesses won’t stick around. Finally, a massive splurge in public spending will end up being paid for with printed money, largely because all those ‘fully-costed’ tax rises won’t actually turn out to bring in much cash. And that will hit sterling, and share prices.

The historical record suggests far-left governments are terrible for the markets. The minority Labour government led by Harold Wilson from February and October 1974 – the one where Denis Healey famously promised to ‘squeeze the rich until the pips squeak’ – saw a 50 per cent fall in the London market (although, in fairness, all kinds of terrible stuff was happening to the global economy that year). Clement Attlee’s government of 1945 to 1951 might be lionised on the left for its creation of the welfare state, but there was not a lot of wealth creation going on to pay for it all. It presided over a 7.5 per cent fall in share prices, while the Dow Jones index in the US almost doubled in the same period.

Under Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, what should we expect? In reality, there will be a sudden sharp correction, simply on the shock of the result, followed by a long, painful decline as the competitiveness is drained out of the economy.

Damien 07-06-2017 21:10

I think what happens after will be interesting. Is there now a new divide in the country? Brexit seems to have settled but there seems to be a great deal of anger and division over issues like inequality and public services. Basically austerity.

It's something I don't think the Conservatives banked on when May called it and whilst they'll almost certainly win, and IMO with a nice majority, I think there will be lingering resentment over those issues and the way the campaign happened. May will win because of Corbyn but I see her becoming unpopular.

And will that mean May has to deal with the Brexit talks whilst contending with a backlash against Austerity? Is so does that impact upon the talks themselves?

1andrew1 07-06-2017 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35902104)
I think what happens after will be interesting. Is there now a new divide in the country? Brexit seems to have settled but there seems to be a great deal of anger and division over issues like inequality and public services. Basically austerity.

It's something I don't think the Conservatives banked on when May called it and whilst they'll almost certainly win, and IMO with a nice majority, I think there will be lingering resentment over those issues and the way the campaign happened. May will win because of Corbyn but I see her becoming unpopular.

And will that mean May has to deal with the Brexit talks whilst contending with a backlash against Austerity? Is so does that impact upon the talks themselves?

If there was another Labour leader who kept came across as more pro-British (for the army, NHS and Royal Family), kept Corbyn's popular policies (renationalise the utilities, railways and end austerity) and more strongly against immigration then I reckon we'd be seeing a huge Labour landslide. As it is, I see the Conservatives winning by 70 seats especially as the under 25s seem unlikely to start voting as much as the pensioners.

Osem 07-06-2017 21:32

Too many people vote for what suits their short term interests rather than the long term good of fhe country, That's why our glorious leaders tend towards promising more whilst taxing us less.

Damien 07-06-2017 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35902106)
Too many people vote for what suits their short term interests rather than the long term good of fhe country, That's why our glorious leaders tend towards promising more whilst taxing us less.

Quite but it still might be that the government have misjudged how willing people are to put up with their own decline of living standards in the name of the long term especially when the burden isn't perceived to be shared and the long term goal rather abstract.

Chris 07-06-2017 22:34

https://order-order.com/2017/06/07/f...e-lead-tories/

The average of tonight's polls puts the Tories 8 points ahead. Even Yougov has given them a lead of 7.

Gary L 07-06-2017 22:42

All these predictions are a waste of time in this day and age.

they don't know who he and she are going to be voting tomorrow.
but they will be voting for the party that they feel has done them no wrong. hasn't brought poverty to this country. and isn't seen as nasty.

but what they should know is that people will be voting for a reason.
and that reason is up there.

Theresa doesn't want to win anyway. that's why she called the election.
she isn't strong enough. she's old and weak.

and very wobbly.

1andrew1 07-06-2017 23:08

UK General Election polls: Tories set for landslide victory over Corbyn's Labour on eve of snap vote

Dave42 07-06-2017 23:31

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/06/11.jpg

1andrew1 07-06-2017 23:43

lol

Paul 08-06-2017 00:03

I guess that might be funnier if I had any clue who that [man] is.

Dave42 08-06-2017 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35902126)

it Rupert Murdoch

1andrew1 08-06-2017 00:24

This is the election humour moment!

“You’ll get accountability, with Conservative delivery/Make sure this time you get it right/Vote for Greg Knight”

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/c...tridge-2084845

TheDaddy 08-06-2017 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35902126)

That man is Theresa May....

The elderly looking puppet master is digger murdoch

Sirius 08-06-2017 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35902128)
it Rupert Murdoch

Who :)

---------- Post added at 05:56 ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35902136)
That man is Theresa May....

The elderly looking puppet master is digger murdoch

Now i see :)