Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Update] Cyclist convicted of "wanton and furious driving" (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705272)

OLD BOY 26-08-2017 10:13

Re: What an obnoxious piece of work.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35913824)
How can she be blamed for that prat riding a bike with no brakes?

She can't be blamed for the prat's actions but she can be blamed for stepping out into the road without looking, which appears to be what happened.

TheDaddy 10-09-2017 04:30

Re: [Update] Cyclist convicted of "wanton and furious driving"

Another pedestrian killed by a cyclist

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3630906.html

papa smurf 10-09-2017 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35915945)

i saw a news article a couple of weeks ago about changing the laws on this kind of death by cyclist , i think the government are looking into it unfortunately it takes deaths to prompt change

Osem 10-09-2017 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35915957)
i saw a news article a couple of weeks ago about changing the laws on this kind of death by cyclist , i think the government are looking into it unfortunately it takes deaths to prompt change

The PM was questioned about this on PMQ's - changing the law to make cyclists subject to the same legislation as motorists. Her answer was equivocal so I wouldn't hold your breath just but I do think it's the way forward. Cyclists are not only increasingly coming into potentially contact with drivers, they're doing the same with eachother - the Lycra lads and courier types v. the rest.

Kursk 10-09-2017 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35915945)

Shall we post everytime a 'pedestrian' or cyclist is killed by a motorist? It would be a long thread...:rolleyes:

If you choose to attend, or indeed encounter, an event that you know includes 'furious' riding, such as a race (duh), you need to be aware of the risk, in the same way, say, as you take care when crossing the road.

We don't even know yet what the circumstances are here. Perhaps the pedestrian ignored barriers?; perhaps the health and safety experts are to blame?

If a person riding a bike shot someone in the street with an AK47, you'd post 'Another pedestrian killed by a cyclist' :rolleyes:

TheDaddy 10-09-2017 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35915961)
Shall we post everytime a 'pedestrian' or cyclist is killed by a motorist? It would be a long thread...:rolleyes:

If you choose to attend, or indeed encounter, an event that you know includes 'furious' riding, such as a race (duh), you need to be aware of the risk, in the same way, say, as you take care when crossing the road.

We don't even know yet what the circumstances are here. Perhaps the pedestrian ignored barriers?; perhaps the health and safety experts are to blame?

If a person riding a bike shot someone in the street with an AK47, you'd post 'Another pedestrian killed by a cyclist' :rolleyes:

How about we don't have races on the roads, it's not worth someone dying over. I'll ignore your attempts at deflection to.

Sirius 10-09-2017 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35915961)

No i would post about a "pedestrian killed in a ride by shooting by a cyclist armed with a illegal AK47" :)

Kursk 10-09-2017 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35915979)
How about we don't have races on the roads, it's not worth someone dying over. I'll ignore your attempts at deflection to.

It would mean stopping all those road marathon races and today's Great North Run because it would be dangerous with all the traffic on the roads; and the Monte Carlo Grand Prix. Bit of a grump aren't you? Stay in by the fire and warm your feet :sleep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35915980)
No i would post about a "pedestrian killed in a ride by shooting by a cyclist armed with a illegal AK47" :)

So knife-wielding 'pedestrians' can be called knife-wielding cyclists if they once owned a bike? :erm:

Sirius 10-09-2017 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35915986)

So knife-wielding 'pedestrians' can be called knife-wielding cyclists if they once owned a bike? :erm:

Not at all he would only be classified as cyclist if he was on one when he did it. If he is on foot then any normal person would call him a pedestrian with a knife. BTW how did you make that leap to combine pedestrian and cyclist together when the 2 are totally different. i take it nothing other than being pedantic

If you are to argue on the side of the cyclist at least put some valid arguments together instead of trying to be smart as it diminishes your argument :)

Kursk 10-09-2017 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35915987)
Not at all he would only be classified as cyclist if he was on one when he did it. If he is on foot then any normal person would call him a pedestrian with a knife. BTW how did you make that leap to combine pedestrian and cyclist together when the 2 are totally different. i take it nothing other than being pedantic

So if you murder someone you'll be referred to as an "A pedestrian ex-Services Cable Forum contributor who hates Tony Blair and cyclists in equal measure" or is some/none of that description relevant?

Just noticed your edit: I'm not trying to support anything. We don't have the facts yet.

TheDaddy 10-09-2017 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35915986)
It would mean stopping all those road marathon races and today's Great North Run because it would be dangerous with all the traffic on the roads; and the Monte Carlo Grand Prix. Bit of a grump aren't you? Stay in by the fire and warm your feet :sleep:

When someone gets trampled to death watching the great North run would be the time to ban it imo

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35915987)

If you are to argue on the side of the cyclist at least put some valid arguments together instead of trying to be smart as it diminishes your argument :)

Far better to try and defect attention and hope the scrutiny being cast over it by government goes away

Sirius 10-09-2017 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35915990)
So if you murder someone you'll be referred to as an "A pedestrian ex-Services Cable Forum contributor who hates Tony Blair and cyclists in equal measure" or is some/none of that description relevant?

Just noticed your edit: I'm not trying to support anything. We don't have the facts yet.

About which case the cretin on his illegal bike in London or the other case

Kursk 10-09-2017 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35916001)
When someone gets trampled to death watching the great North run would be the time to ban it imo

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Far better to try and defect attention and hope the scrutiny being cast over it by government goes away

Don't hold your breath for Government scrutiny, the PM simply said "I'm sure the Transport Minister will look into this" which in govspeak for nothing will happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35916005)
About which case the cretin on his illegal bike in London or the other case

The other case.

Osem 14-09-2017 11:36

Quote:

A 73-year-old woman has died after being struck by a cyclist on London's Oxford Street.
The pedestrian suffered a head injury in the crash, which happened at about 16:30 BST on Tuesday.
She was taken to a central London hospital but died in the early hours of Wednesday.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said the cyclist stopped at the scene of the crash.
A man was arrested at the scene on an unrelated criminal damage charge. Police have refused to confirm if he was the cyclist.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41263926

Another pedestrian fatality.

Kursk 14-09-2017 14:16

"Wanton and furious driving" by cement lorryists

Quote:

An elderly woman has been crushed to death by a cement truck in a horror crash in south London.

Shocked witnesses said that the pedestrian, in her 80s, was decapitated when she was mown down by the 12-ton lorry in New Cross Road, Deptford.

She is the third elderly pedestrian to be killed by cement lorries in London accidents in the past nine months alone.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/817...ad-decapitated

Another pedestrian fatality due to cement lorryists.