Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : TV price rises (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685160)

m419 02-02-2012 10:23

Re: TV price rises

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk1 (Post 35373906)
As i left Sky last year, for the far better Tivo box, i am hoping that better content not just VOD but more channels will be added. (to be funded by price increase)

Sky keep sending me half price offers to come back to them, one day i may just return. But will stay with Virgin to give them a chance to increase the channels to ones that keep them competing with Sky.

But you'll realise after a while that them so called offers never seem to make your bill smaller, they are about the same or just a few quid cheaper. They will find something else to make up the difference, they will find some other way of getting the normal price out of you.

That's why I never fell for them offers 'Free Broadband'. Well for a start you have to spend about £21 to £25 on the homephone package to get that and that was advertised by TalkTalk,Sky and Orange. And then it comes with a small usage allowance, people easily used it up and then began paying extra for going over board. Then TalkTalk had the cheek to remove that special 'Free broadband' offer after 18 months as they claim it was in the small print.

Also keep switching back and forth can also cost money on things like new connection and installation charges.

Virgin Media will add more channels, it is in fact the broadcasters themselves that have a lot of say in this as well, like Viacom when they keep pulling off TV channels and replacing them with something else.

denphone 02-02-2012 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35373933)
But you'll realise after a while that them so called offers never seem to make your bill smaller, they are about the same or just a few quid cheaper. They will find something else to make up the difference, they will find some other way of getting the normal price out of you.

That's why I never fell for them offers 'Free Broadband'. Well for a start you have to spend about £21 to £25 on the homephone package to get that and that was advertised by TalkTalk,Sky and Orange. And then it comes with a small usage allowance, people easily used it up and then began paying extra for going over board. Then TalkTalk had the cheek to remove that special 'Free broadband' offer after 18 months as they claim it was in the small print.

Also keep switching back and forth can also cost money on things like new connection and installation charges.

Virgin Media will add more channels, it is in fact the broadcasters themselves that have a lot of say in this as well, like Viacom when they keep pulling off TV channels and replacing them with something else.

:clap::clap:

stereohaven 02-02-2012 10:44

I have only been with Virgin Media since October and was a long time Sky customer before then and for me, VM's problem does not relate to the TV channels they have or don't have.

I like the TiVo, the Broadband is the fastest I have ever had and even the useless SuperHub is bearable compared to the old Sky Router I had...

...but, I have never, ever, experienced as many faults with a service as I have with VM.

Putting aside the major outage a few weeks back, I have lost my Broadband on 17 occasions which have required a reboot (yes I have counted), and 3 times due to a local fault.

With the TiVo we have had problems with On Demand streaming, occasional pixelation on Live channels and complete loss of TV for an hour or more twice.

That is why I would begrudge paying more to VM, because they can't even deliver smoothly what I pay for NOW! Unless something magical happens between now and when our contract ends, we will return to Sky, especially as they will have an Unlimited Fibre product by then.

You can have all the toys and speed in the world but the network just isn't able to support it consistently, which equates to a poor customer experience, something I am not prepared to pay £60+ a month and rising for.

denphone 02-02-2012 11:08

Also have just seen this posted by BenMcr77 on DS.

Quote:

Any TiVo boxes ordered (by either new customers or existing customers) from the 28th of Feb will have a £5 TiVo fee rather than the current £3

Any existing boxes or those ordered before the 28th will still have the £3 TiVo fee
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...77&postcount=8

paultrademark 02-02-2012 11:11

Ouch

denphone 02-02-2012 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35373958)
Ouch

There must be something big on the horizon to give us as a appeasement for all these price rises coming our way.:(:td:

coulsontom 02-02-2012 11:21

does this mean that vip50 package will go up?

denphone 02-02-2012 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35373965)

Ben or DF can answer you better on that.

Mr K 02-02-2012 11:26

Stop moaning. £2 quid is nothing. Look what they've given you this year

- a promise of a BB speed upgrade (could be 18 months away in my case)
- an 'upgrade' to TiVo to stop you using TiVo Commander (because its much better than anything they could hope to produce, fair enough I guess)
- reminders (well, sometime, well possibly never actually)
- red button (a definite possible, maybe)
- BBC Iplayer (well not as good as V+ and it buffers/cuts off before the end)
- ITV HD sound (not in sync but at least it's sound)
- making loads of staff redundant

Worth every penny. I for one would gladly give house/car and soul to VM. They're doing a fantastic job.

BenMcr 02-02-2012 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35373965)

VIP is on the sales site as being £105.71 http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles/...e-package.html

muppetman11 02-02-2012 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35373959)
There must be something big on the horizon to give us as a appeasement for all these price rises coming our way.:(:td:

Ouch :shocked:

denphone 02-02-2012 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35373970)
Ouch :shocked:

Yes indeed and one wonders what could be on the horizon for loyal Sky customers as well.:(:td:

stereohaven 02-02-2012 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35373967)
Stop moaning. £2 quid is nothing. Look what they've given you this year

- a promise of a BB speed upgrade (could be 18 months away in my case)
- an 'upgrade' to TiVo to stop you using TiVo Commander (because its much better than anything they could hope to produce, fair enough I guess)
- reminders (well, sometime, well possibly never actually)
- red button (a definite possible, maybe)
- BBC Iplayer (well not as good as V+ and it buffers/cuts off before the end)
- ITV HD sound (not in sync but at least it's sound)
- making loads of staff redundant

Worth every penny. I for one would gladly give house/car and soul to VM. They're doing a fantastic job.

:LOL:

coulsontom 02-02-2012 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35373969)
VIP is on the sales site as being £105.71 http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles/...e-package.html

That says £91.81

edit: ah plus line rental.

alwaysabear 02-02-2012 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35373957)
Also have just seen this posted by BenMcr77 on DS.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...77&postcount=8

Well that's £4 extra a month already if your on XL and have TiVo. I wonder what price rise is still be announced, surely not line rental again!