Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

Stop It 22-10-2014 14:46

Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

My phone deciding to tell me that "Google Play Sound Search has stopped" every few minutes.

Thanks but what was it doing in the first place? I wasn't using it! Off to disable it.

thenry 22-10-2014 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35736868)
If you're still looking for a job why not go and show them how it's done, they're taking on thousands at the moment

i shall look :)

heero_yuy 22-10-2014 17:54

The remote for VM's HD box is really nasty: It has loads of sharp edges all round the casing and it looks and feels cheap. I'm very tempted to get the belt sander out and machine off all the rough edges. :erm:

TheDaddy 22-10-2014 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35736886)
i shall look :)

Good luck mate :)

thenry 22-10-2014 20:18

Gary L 22-10-2014 22:51

My nieces school parents evening.
they've got the kids to go to all their teachers and make appointments for their parents.
so she's got appointments spread over 3 days (all 3 days her mother has to go to the school) and some of the appointments over an hour apart.

how stupid is that?
the parents have to go to the school 3 days in a row and hang around from one appointment to the next. where if they did it properly you could fit it all in on one day.

Hom3r 23-10-2014 19:03

After ill health the owner of my company have decided to sell up.

Their lies the problem, she rejected £14m, and three companies interested have gone down to one.

As she wants more money than the companies worth (an company came in and valued it)

The last company want 60 to assess its next move, so we are all stuck in limbo and developing a black sense of humour.

dilli-theclaw 23-10-2014 19:30

28.7mmol/l - and that's after following sick day rules with insulin.

Guess where I'm going tomorrow :(

joglynne 23-10-2014 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35737083)
28.7mmol/l - and that's after following sick day rules with insulin.

Guess where I'm going tomorrow :(

:shocked: That's a scary level dilli.

Would zero carbs until you go to the hospital tomorrow help?

dilli-theclaw 23-10-2014 20:07

I'm not going to eat anything before the morning.

joglynne 23-10-2014 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35737091)
I'm not going to eat anything before the morning.

Don't cut out any fluids though!!!!

I have just been reading the sick day rules and it sounds like a scary roller coaster ride.

I shall be thinking of you sweetie. <<hugs>>

Gary L 25-10-2014 19:48

A dumb police man that says your paper licence is invalid because you're supposed to have a photo licence now.
but he refuses to give you anything official to say that your licence is 'illegal'
because he knows he's a TWIT. and doesn't want to admit he's a TWIT.

stupid TWIT!

Taf 25-10-2014 20:29

A neighbour has 3 big diesel trucks parked on the pavement, 1 large van on the drive, 2 cars he's repairing filling the lawn... and he goes out from time to time and runs their engines for several minutes at a time at all hours of the day from dawn to midnight.

Rattling diesel engines, sooty exhaust smoke, dripping oil... and the council have refused to come have a look even though it's all illegal according to their handbook for tenants.

dave6x 26-10-2014 08:28

Who else forgot that the clocks had gone back when they woke up this morning?

Although I knew the clocks went back I forgot to adjust our bed-side clock, looked at it this morning & got up to take the dog out and didn't remember until I checked why the heating wasn't on!

MalteseFalcon 26-10-2014 08:31

Just you. Changed all the clocks yesterday afternoon, central heating, mobile and laptop all updated on their own with no input from me. But I always find I take longer to adjust to the clocks going back.

denphone 26-10-2014 08:34

My partner did all ours early last night.

SnoopZ 26-10-2014 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6x (Post 35737538)
Who else forgot that the clocks had gone back when they woke up this morning?

Although I knew the clocks went back I forgot to adjust our bed-side clock, looked at it this morning & got up to take the dog out and didn't remember until I checked why the heating wasn't on!

I hadn't forgotten but your post just reminded me to changed the central heating clock! :)

dave6x 26-10-2014 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35737545)
I hadn't forgotten but your post just reminded me to changed the central heating clock! :)

My programmable thermostat automatically adjusts for the "Daylight Saving" changes that's why my heating hadn't come on when I inadvertently got up early. I blame not resetting my bed-side clock on a "senior moment", problem is they are becoming more frequent! :(

Hom3r 26-10-2014 12:34

My watch auto adjusts every time. I inly have the clock in the car to do.

dilli-theclaw 26-10-2014 20:10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35737094)
Don't cut out any fluids though!!!!

I have just been reading the sick day rules and it sounds like a scary roller coaster ride.

I shall be thinking of you sweetie. <<hugs>>

HHHmmm

Not getting any better. I didn't get to the hospital in the end as I've had some other stuff going on which is stressing me out a lot.

joglynne 26-10-2014 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35737649)
HHHmmm

Not getting any better. I didn't get to the hospital in the end as I've had some other stuff going on which is stressing me out a lot.

:erm: I hope you can get there soon, or at least phone the clinic for advise. The extra stress won't be helping your levels. :(

Gary L 26-10-2014 20:58

Why are the connection blocks inside new light fittings so small?

how are you expected to put thick black/red wires into them?

they supply them with the hole sizes just about big enough to put one piece of wire in. not at all big enough for the thickness of the copper that lights will be.

denphone 27-10-2014 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35737649)
HHHmmm

l hope things improve for you dilli soon and try not to get too stressed about things as l always find after a good nights sleep things never look as bad as they were the day before.:)

Pauls9 28-10-2014 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35737471)
A dumb police man that says your paper licence is invalid because you're supposed to have a photo licence now.
but he refuses to give you anything official to say that your licence is 'illegal'
because he knows he's a TWIT. and doesn't want to admit he's a TWIT.

stupid TWIT!

NOT TRUE - the old paper driving licence is still valid until it expires (usually at age 70) or you change your name or address. This old wives' tale arose from an inaccurate news report talking about the need to renew photo driving licences which had been obtained more than 10 years ago and the phasing out of the paper part of the new driving licence. The reporter confused it with the old style licence.

Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence and http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/...e-renewal.html

peanut 28-10-2014 09:46

The wife's company she works for is on fire. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-29798634

Pauls9 28-10-2014 10:03

Oh dear. I hope all the people are OK. And what's going to happen to her job and income? Hope it all works out for her and you.

peanut 28-10-2014 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauls9 (Post 35737819)
Oh dear. I hope all the people are OK. And what's going to happen to her job and income? Hope it all works out for her and you.

Thanks, luckily it started before people came into work so everyone is accounted for thank God. Just a case of waiting by the phone to see what's what now. Horrible.

joglynne 28-10-2014 12:54

That's bad new peanut.

I know that everyone will be relieved that there have been no casualties but it will be a long slog getting a business up and running again after what looks like such a devastating fire.

Hopefully when that phone rings there will be good news for you to report.

peanut 29-10-2014 06:37

Thanks Jo.

She's back in work today, mainly to find out what's going on and to assess etc. Luckily they have 4 other units on the same estate so they have the premises to continue some kind of business. They've lost their main factory/warehouse/offices which includes the wife's office and laboratory too. So now it's a case on hands on and get stuck in and help out where she can. Hopefully we'll know more by the end of today.

More info here http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ga...thin_1_3822956

My other moan which is totally insignificant in comparison, is I'm confined to bed with a severe chest infection, high temp and heart rate is again through the roof. The stress ain't helping much. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and sort it out.

denphone 29-10-2014 07:10

l hope you get better soon peanut as you constantly seem to be in the wars with one thing or tother.:ghugs:

dilli-theclaw 29-10-2014 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35737958)
Thanks Jo.

She's back in work today, mainly to find out what's going on and to assess etc. Luckily they have 4 other units on the same estate so they have the premises to continue some kind of business. They've lost their main factory/warehouse/offices which includes the wife's office and laboratory too. So now it's a case on hand on and get stuck in and help out where she can. Hopefully we'll know more by the end of today.

My other moan which is totally insignificant in comparison, is I'm confined to bed with a severe chest infection, high temp and heart rate is again through the roof. The stress ain't helping much. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and sort it out.

Ah yes stress, it really doesn't help does it :(

I hope you get it all sorted soon.

weenie 29-10-2014 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35737958)
Thanks Jo.

She's back in work today, mainly to find out what's going on and to assess etc. Luckily they have 4 other units on the same estate so they have the premises to continue some kind of business. They've lost their main factory/warehouse/offices which includes the wife's office and laboratory too. So now it's a case on hands on and get stuck in and help out where she can. Hopefully we'll know more by the end of today.

Hope you feel better soon peanut and the antibiotics kick in soon.

joglynne 29-10-2014 13:13

Oh peanut sometimes it feels like the fates have it in for us doesn't it.

You have so much to cope with and certainly don't need this added complication.

Know that I am thinking of you both and that if I had a magic wand I would be waving it your way like a demented fairy on steroids.

dilli-theclaw 31-10-2014 13:53

The wire that holds the seal in place on the washing machine has popped out and theres water everywhere. Just something else to add to my crappy week, trying to clean it all up now from the chair as Natalie is at work.

Then I a, going to try and fix the machine I guess.

ThunderPants73 01-11-2014 00:14

Nearly got wiped out on my bike today. Turning right on a roundabout, silly cow in a car carries on from my left, nearly knocks me off my bike, didn't see me as she was yapping on her PHONE. I sincerely hope I cracked her windows as I THUMPED them as I passed.
TO ALL YOU COCKY ***** THAT THINK YOU ARE FINE TO DRIVE WHILST TALKING ON YOUR PHONE....GROW UP.

weenie 01-11-2014 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35738427)
Nearly got wiped out on my bike today. Turning right on a roundabout, silly cow in a car carries on from my left, nearly knocks me off my bike, didn't see me as she was yapping on her PHONE. I sincerely hope I cracked her windows as I THUMPED them as I passed.
TO ALL YOU COCKY ***** THAT THINK YOU ARE FINE TO DRIVE WHILST TALKING ON YOUR PHONE....GROW UP.

That really annoys me drivers on their mobiles.

My moan today is while parked at Sainsburys this woman opened her drivers door right into my passenger door, I put down my window and said excuse me but you have just hit the door of my car. Her reply was my head's in clouds today and I politely replied well you should be flying a plane if that's the case. A bit cheeky I know but I was so annoyed at her and her care free attitude to hitting my car.

ThunderPants73 01-11-2014 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35738431)
That really annoys me drivers on their mobiles.

My moan today is while parked at Sainsburys this woman opened her drivers door right into my passenger door, I put down my window and said excuse me but you have just hit the door of my car. Her reply was my head's in clouds today and I politely replied well you should be flying a plane if that's the case. A bit cheeky I know but I was so annoyed at her and her care free attitude to hitting my car.

Good for you! I don't think I would have been so polite....

weenie 01-11-2014 00:50

TP take my word for it she was not worth it.

ThunderPants73 01-11-2014 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35738434)
TP take my word for it she was not worth it.

You took the high road! Kudos to you Weenie.

weenie 01-11-2014 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35738435)
You took the high road! Kudos to you Weenie.

Thank you.

denphone 01-11-2014 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35738304)
The wire that holds the seal in place on the washing machine has popped out and theres water everywhere. Just something else to add to my crappy week, trying to clean it all up now from the chair as Natalie is at work.

Then I a, going to try and fix the machine I guess.

Sorry to hear about your washing machine dilli and l do hope next week will be better then this week for you.

heero_yuy 01-11-2014 10:52

Washed my mostly white hoodie. It still hadn't fully dried and because the line in the bathroom was full of stuff airing I hung it over the Ali Baba laundry basket. Now it's got pale yellow stains all over the back. :mad:

Back in the washing machine with a scoop of vanish. Hope that gets the stains out.:erm:

dilli-theclaw 03-11-2014 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35738444)
Sorry to hear about your washing machine dilli and l do hope next week will be better then this week for you.

It took me several hours - but I fixed it :) Yay!

joglynne 03-11-2014 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35738857)

Well done. Have a pat on the back. :)

denphone 03-11-2014 15:06

Quote:

You are a man of many talents dilli and don't let anybody tell you different.

Stop It 03-11-2014 15:47

Quote:

Well done! You're certainly more brave & handy with DIY than I will ever be.

I must admit if something like the Washing Machine went it would be an instant insurance claim, I would likely cause more harm than good trying to fix it.

Talking of moans/fixing things, could someone fix Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2? He appears to be broken and hasn't been working properly for years.

rhyds 03-11-2014 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It (Post 35738871)

Talking of moans/fixing things, could someone fix Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2? He appears to be broken and hasn't been working properly for years.

My main issue with him (aside from the awful jokes and cringeworthy "celeb" interviews) is his habit of talking/singing over tracks. It might have been funny once back in 1986, but it just gets on everyone's nerves now.

MalteseFalcon 03-11-2014 18:49

Acid reflux. On a pill for it, I am to take one twice a day. However, whilst it proved initial relief I am now struggling between doses and having to use Gaviscon as well. Will need to book an appointment with the GP who prescribed them to me for guidance as to whether to increase dosage to 2 once a day.

peanut 03-11-2014 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35738897)
Acid reflux. On a pill for it, I am to take one twice a day. However, whilst it proved initial relief I am now struggling between doses and having to use Gaviscon as well. Will need to book an appointment with the GP who prescribed them to me for guidance as to whether to increase dosage to 2 once a day.

Have you had the cause diagnosed?

denphone 03-11-2014 18:57

Quote:

What tablet and dose are you taking Mark?.

Russ 03-11-2014 19:09

Quote:

Omeprazole? I used to get vicious heartburn but that stuff cleared it up perfectly.

weenie 03-11-2014 19:09

Quote:

Hope you get your meds sorted soon Mark.

denphone 03-11-2014 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35738907)
Omeprazole? I used to get vicious heartburn but that stuff cleared it up perfectly.

Yes that's what l take and like you it has improved things considerably.

Hom3r 03-11-2014 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It (Post 35738871)

I used to enjoy Radio 1 before Grimmy took over, but found radio 4 far more enjoyable, loads od play and documentaries, and thanks to book of the week I bought two of them.

MalteseFalcon 03-11-2014 21:03

Yep, 20mg dose twice a day. It helped at first and have avoided spice and caffeine like I was advised to. But last day or so it has come back with a vengeance and so I need to increase my dosage. But I have to speak to my prescribing doctor for me to start using 2 at once.

Was diagnosed in January, as well as spasms in my throat when I swallow food. They couldn't find any cause for it though. Was a case of put up with it.

Gary L 03-11-2014 21:49

Charities that tell you a minimum you can donate. if you would like to donate.

can you imagine others saying the same. £5 or nothing mate!

Stop It 04-11-2014 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35738927)
I used to enjoy Radio 1 before Grimmy took over, but found radio 4 far more enjoyable, loads od play and documentaries, and thanks to book of the week I bought two of them.

We listen to R2 at work, as it's the least objectionable station to all at our desk, but Steve Wright just rubs me the wrong way. Haven't really listened to R1 in a while and at home I listen to R5L as I enjoy most of their content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyds (Post 35738873)
My main issue with him (aside from the awful jokes and cringeworthy "celeb" interviews) is his habit of talking/singing over tracks. It might have been funny once back in 1986, but it just gets on everyone's nerves now.

Yeah, every time he sings, hums or otherwise makes stupid noises during songs it makes me cringe. Either that or he just cuts songs off for no reason.

Anyway, moan today: I was booking train tickets to see my sister for her birthday and accidentally booked the wrong date, costing me an extra £20 to fix it. My partner wasn't impressed, and rightfully so, complete idiot moment.

MalteseFalcon 05-11-2014 21:13

Need some money fast. Nan's car has a problem with the exhaust, but if a garage cannot weld it back into place then she needs a new exhaust part. Trouble is, it is where it joins the manifold and the cat converter is in the manifold which is held onto the engine. If a simple job, only around £500. Anything more intensive and probably cost around a grand. Which would be worth more than the car is worth.

Neither of us have a good credit rating to be able to get credit for a new/newer car.

ianch99 06-11-2014 08:46

Someone tell me how to stop the (TPS immune) Out of Area/Private Caller cold telephone calls sometimes multiple times a day? Much as I like talking to sad "Melvin" from India, it is getting very annoying

rhyds 06-11-2014 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35739295)
Need some money fast. Nan's car has a problem with the exhaust, but if a garage cannot weld it back into place then she needs a new exhaust part. Trouble is, it is where it joins the manifold and the cat converter is in the manifold which is held onto the engine. If a simple job, only around £500. Anything more intensive and probably cost around a grand. Which would be worth more than the car is worth.

Neither of us have a good credit rating to be able to get credit for a new/newer car.

What car is it?

arcimedes 06-11-2014 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35739334)
Someone tell me how to stop the (TPS immune) Out of Area/Private Caller cold telephone calls sometimes multiple times a day? Much as I like talking to sad "Melvin" from India, it is getting very annoying

You need some sort of call screening device. CPR call blocker is a simple device or Truecall which can handle caller id withheld calls as it will interrogate any call which it doesn't identify and then ring you and tell you who's calling. You can then decide whether to accept the call or not.

heero_yuy 06-11-2014 10:35

Quote:

I have call ID and don't answer those calls. Unfortunatly although my answer phone has a junk number system that blocks (Hangs up before it can ring) specified numbers it doesn't have a anonymous / out of region option. Some others do.

MalteseFalcon 06-11-2014 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyds (Post 35739341)
What car is it?

Ford Fiesta Fun, registered 2002. Garage managed to weld it back into place which gives her a year to save money for a total replacement job. Quote of £335 if a simple job, which is a lot better than the £500 another garage quoted.

rhyds 06-11-2014 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35739381)
Ford Fiesta Fun, registered 2002. Garage managed to weld it back into place which gives her a year to save money for a total replacement job. Quote of £335 if a simple job, which is a lot better than the £500 another garage quoted.

1.25 or 1.4 one? Sounds about right. My old Rover 45 had a similar "pre-cat" setup in the manifold, when the manifold cracked even the cheapest, nastiest replacement was something like £135 new, with reasonable about £200+

heero_yuy 06-11-2014 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35739381)

Gives you time to source replacement parts. There are lots of on-line car breakers that can supply good quality second hand parts at a fraction of the new price. With an older car it's often not worth buying brand new unless it's brake or steering parts.

rhyds 06-11-2014 12:56

Indeed, with something like an exhaust manifold that doesn't usually wear out then you can usually get a decent second hand part. The problem is when its a wearing component (an s/h one might not be any better than what you have) or a known weakness (high demand leads to a shortage of suitable donor parts).

weenie 07-11-2014 20:39

After receiving a text message saying that my order is loaded for delivery today between 12:00 to 21:00 and that a signature would be required I was delighted, then my heart sank when I realized that yodel was delivering it and with good cause as the bedside glass lamps that they were delivering arrived only to be in pieces. The only way I can describe the image I was presented with when I opened the box was, it was like well picture a Crunchy bar being smashed up with a hammer and the pieces that you would be left with, yip that is what my new glass bedside lamps were like smashed to a hundred tiny pieces of orange glass. I was so looking forward to them as well. :(

Hom3r 07-11-2014 21:35

Quote:

My dad says "Go F(expletive) yourself" and hangs up.

Just hope it's not the Dr :D

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

I'm on a spending freeze, so no Blu-Rays.

As I've probably said before the company I work for is up for sale, and there in one bidder left and we should know by the end of the month.

Personally I don't give a crap any more, I was ill and phoned in on the first day but as I didn't phone in on the third day (Our staff handbook says this but read it 18 months ago) I was deducted 2 days wages. So down some £220 this month.

weenie 07-11-2014 22:05

That's rotten Hom3r, hope next month is better for you.

weenie 10-11-2014 18:58

I can see taking the wee one to Judo far enough tonight but needs must. Anyway I cannot very well say (son let's give Judo a miss as I can't be bothered) as I do not let Drew off with that excuse so it's only fair I practice what I preach :rolleyes:

ThunderPants73 12-11-2014 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35738907)

+1 for the Omeprazole. Great stuff. Gave me a funny taste in m y mouth though.

Hom3r 12-11-2014 22:11

uplay, preordered FC3 but their crap website is not only slow, it also refuses to link to my XBL account to enter the pre order bonus code, so cancelled ordered.

MalteseFalcon 12-11-2014 22:52

Been cleared to take 2 once a day. Seems to have helped more than one twice a day. Whilst not eating spicy food is not much to miss (as I have a low tolerance for spice anyway) but I do miss caffeine. I used to have a Coke with my breakfast at McD's.

Osem 13-11-2014 08:57

I'm sure I've moaned about this before but it really gets my goat!

People in supermarkets who arrive at the till with a pile of shopping and then suddenly awaken from their dream world only to realise they may just need to pack the stuff they've bought and actually pay for it.

"Ooohhh now where's my purse, I didn't think I'd need that in here... Oh and bags, I haven't got any bags to put all my shopping in have I... Silly me... Now will one bag be enough from my trolley load of stuff or shall I get 2... They're 5p each after all... I'll get one bag, I'm sure that will be enough... Now shall I pay by cash or card... Cash... No second thoughts I'll use my card... Now what is that PIN number again... I know, it's 1234... No wait, it's not that it's 9999 isn't it, silly me... I knew I should have written it on the back of the card... I think cash might be easier but I think I might need another bag because this one is full up and there's still a pile of stuff to pack... £53,97! I think I'll just get rid of all my change... I've got lots of 1p's and 2p's in my purse and some in the bottom of my handbag somewhere... Now let me see, that's 98p in assorted coins... Now where's my notes... I'm sure I have some somewhere... Or did I forget to go to the cash machine... That's right, I went to the machine but had forgotten my PIN so couldn't get any more cash out... Good job I have some anyway... Oh dear I only have £40 so I'll need to put some things back... I know, I'll put back all the items which cost less than £1 first and then see how much short I still am... It's a good job nobody's waiting behind me in a great big long queue isn't it... Chuckle... Oh wait, there seems to be a big long queue now... Isn't it funny how miserable people always seem to be in here..."

Grrrrr!!!!!

heero_yuy 13-11-2014 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35740705)
I'm sure I've moaned about this before but it really gets my goat!

People in supermarkets who arrive at the till with a pile of shopping and then suddenly awaken from their dream world only to realise they may just need to pack the stuff they've bought and actually pay for it.

"Ooohhh now where's my purse, I didn't think I'd need that in here... Oh and bags, I haven't got any bags to put all my shopping in have I... Silly me... Now will one bag be enough from my trolley load of stuff or shall I get 2... They're 5p each after all... I'll get one bag, I'm sure that will be enough... Now shall I pay by cash or card... Cash... No second thoughts I'll use my card... Now what is that PIN number again... I know, it's 1234... No wait, it's not that it's 9999 isn't it, silly me... I knew I should have written it on the back of the card... I think cash might be easier but I think I might need another bag because this one is full up and there's still a pile of stuff to pack... £53,97! I think I'll just get rid of all my change... I've got lots of 1p's and 2p's in my purse and some in the bottom of my handbag somewhere... Now let me see, that's 98p in assorted coins... Now where's my notes... I'm sure I have some somewhere... Or did I forget to go to the cash machine... That's right, I went to the machine but had forgotten my PIN so couldn't get any more cash out... Good job I have some anyway... Oh dear I only have £40 so I'll need to put some things back... I know, I'll put back all the items which cost less than £1 first and then see how much short I still am... It's a good job nobody's waiting behind me in a great big long queue isn't it... Chuckle... Oh wait, there seems to be a big long queue now... Isn't it funny how miserable people always seem to be in here..."

Grrrrr!!!!!

Superb rant. :LOL:

They used to be the ones that payed by cheque but hadn't written any of it out and then couldn't find the card, then suddenly realise they'd forgotton something and wandered back into the store to find it while everybody else silently cursed.

You really wonder if they know what planet they're on.

Osem 13-11-2014 10:28

I just had to vent mate. :)

I was in Lidl a couple of months ago and there was a well to do piece of botox infused, bling clad mutton dressed as lamb with a massive trolley full of stuff a few places in front of me. Instead of loading it onto the conveyor she was far too busy chatting away to her equally absurd friend to notice that she'd arrived at the till with all her shopping still in the trolley. Meantime, others behind had been loading their stuff onto the belt which meant there was very little space for her to offload hers before the next shopper's stuff had filled the space. Maybe she'd hitherto always had her provisions delivered by Fortnum & Mason but she seemed not to realise that items have to be removed from the trolley to be scanned and packed. A difficult concept I'll grant you... Suddenly rage and panic ensued as she grabbed a whole load of bags, threw them at the cashier and started to indignantly chuck some stuff onto the conveyor. Now rather than her vacuous friend assisting by packing the stuff rapidly building up the other side of the till, she too stood there watching the frenzied woman muttering away to herself and going to and fro as she threw a few more things onto the conveyor and then went back to pack those which had been scanned. It was reminiscent of the very best of Laurel and Hardy apart from the foul language she directed at the poor girl on the till. I'd imagine she was farting around for a good 10 minutes before we were finally free of her and her tea coloured, saddle-bag faced friend.

Outside I spotted them a few minutes later trying very slowly to manoeuvre a shiny new Range Rover through a gap a petrol tanker wouldn't have had any trouble with. God only knows what planet these people are on!...

Stop It 13-11-2014 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35740713)
Superb rant. :LOL:

They used to be the ones that payed by cheque but hadn't written any of it out and then couldn't find the card, then suddenly realise they'd forgotton something and wandered back into the store to find it while everybody else silently cursed.

You really wonder if they know what planet they're on.

I remember when I used to work at Wilkinson, and cheques were always fun. Having to swipe the cheque guarantee card, writing the card number on the back of the cheque etc etc. Lots of fun, for me anyway. Other customers? Not so much.

Paying by £50 notes invoked a similar reaction. Till staff didn't have the authority to take them, so we needed the Till Supervisor each time they were used. I'm sure I heard very audible groans for both situations!

Edit: This was 14 years ago, I feel old.

Osem 13-11-2014 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It (Post 35740736)
I remember when I used to work at Wilkinson, and cheques were always fun. Having to swipe the cheque guarantee card, writing the card number on the back of the cheque etc etc. Lots of fun, for me anyway. Other customers? Not so much.

Paying by £50 notes invoked a similar reaction. Till staff didn't have the authority to take them, so we needed the Till Supervisor each time they were used. I'm sure I heard very audible groans for both situations!

Edit: This was 14 years ago, I feel old.

Another thing which winds me up is 30 year olds who reckon they 'feel old'...

;)

Stop It 13-11-2014 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35740739)
Another thing which winds me up is 30 year olds who reckon they 'feel old'...

;)

*hides*

It's all a matter of perspective I know but when I was thinking of that and realised just how long ago it was it just struck me a little.

rhyds 13-11-2014 11:43

I used to work at the co-op back in 2003. With cheques we'd swipe the guarantee card then the printer would attempt to print up the cheque. Fine if you had a standard chequebook, but every now and again you had someone roll up with a business sized cheque that the printer really didn't like.

Osem 13-11-2014 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It (Post 35740740)
*hides*

It's all a matter of perspective I know but when I was thinking of that and realised just how long ago it was it just struck me a little.

You're forgiven then... ;)

weenie 13-11-2014 13:24

My eyes are really sore (eyelids are all swollen today) and have extremely dry skin on them. Hopefully the Hydrocortisone 0.1% cream that the doctor has prescribed will do the trick soon.

Osem 13-11-2014 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35740777)
My eyes are really sore (eyelids are all swollen today) and have extremely dry skin on them. Hopefully the Hydrocortisone 0.1% cream that the doctor has prescribed will do the trick soon.

Hope it clears up soon! :)

denphone 13-11-2014 14:28

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your eyes weenie and l do hope they improve soon.

weenie 13-11-2014 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35740786)
Hope it clears up soon! :)

Thanks, just feel like I'm falling apart at the moment :( how is Osem Jnr driving lessons doing?

dilli-theclaw 13-11-2014 14:32

Quote:

I hope they clear up soon.

Osem 13-11-2014 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35740789)
Thanks, just feel like I'm falling apart at the moment :( how is Osem Jnr driving lessons doing?

Good thanks, very good (touch wood). He had his first lesson with his instructor for a few weeks yesterday and the guy was very pleased with his progress and lack of bad habits. I want him to get as much experience as he can before he gets his full licence and is off on his own.

Reminds me of a pet hate - those inconsiderate morons who see an 'L' plate and then do all sorts of crazy and dangerous stuff. We stopped whilst an old guy with a walking stick was being helped across the road and someone came up behind us, overtook and then had to swerve onto the wrong side of the road to avoid the elderly man. Grrrr!!!

Stop It 13-11-2014 15:13

Quote:

Ouch, I hope the medication works quickly and you feel better ASAP.

weenie 13-11-2014 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35740794)
Reminds me of a pet hate - those inconsiderate morons who see an 'L' plate and then do all sorts of crazy and dangerous stuff. We stopped whilst an old guy with a walking stick was being helped across the road and someone came up behind us, overtook and then had to swerve onto the wrong side of the road to avoid the elderly man. Grrrr!!!

Yes hubby experienced that with our Steve when taking him out, it was rather annoying. You would think they would give some consideration to learner driver's wouldn't you after all they were one themselves once.

denphone 15-11-2014 06:28

Our car insurance has gone up to £580 a year from £480 a year.:(

heero_yuy 15-11-2014 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35741122)

Mine's gone from £250 to £385. Time to look around methinks.

MalteseFalcon 15-11-2014 11:25

Confused is a great comparison tool, I do it every year for my Nan. Last renewal the company quoted her £400 but I found a deal for £290.

arcimedes 15-11-2014 11:46

Vale of White Horse District Council has a new local plan for 2031 which it is consulting on. I have lost count of the number of copies of the document it is sending out. We have had at least one by post addressed to the occupier. And just in case you miss that we have had a couple put in the junk leaflets the postman brings round. I'm not sure whether we haven't had addressed personally as well.

nashville 15-11-2014 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35739659)
After receiving a text message saying that my order is loaded for delivery today between 12:00 to 21:00 and that a signature would be required I was delighted, then my heart sank when I realized that yodel was delivering it and with good cause as the bedside glass lamps that they were delivering arrived only to be in pieces. The only way I can describe the image I was presented with when I opened the box was, it was like well picture a Crunchy bar being smashed up with a hammer and the pieces that you would be left with, yip that is what my new glass bedside lamps were like smashed to a hundred tiny pieces of orange glass. I was so looking forward to them as well. :(

That is sad news.

SnoopZ 15-11-2014 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35741122)

Wow that is alot, i only pay around £400 for an Astra VXR with protected and everything, have you had a claim lately?

You should try Aviva online my insurance hasnt gone up in 2-3 years and even went down a few £s.

dilli-theclaw 15-11-2014 17:22

Having learnt exactly how nasty and evil some people can be in my life I am more than a little surprised that specific person can expect me to allow them back into my life. Forgiveness is one thing but I want my family to feel safe.

Russ 15-11-2014 17:28

I'm not trying to justify anything, just explain it a little - often nothing about you or what you have/haven't done will affect your insurance premium.

You could be the safest driver in the world with the perfect driving record, have the lowest-group car possible and be in the most low-risk job of all but if a number of people in your area with the same car as you have made accident or theft claims your premium will be affected.

Totally unfair on you of course but insurance is all about risk categories and unfortunately people can be lumbered in the wrong ones.

denphone 15-11-2014 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35741234)
Wow that is alot, i only pay around £400 for an Astra VXR with protected and everything, have you had a claim lately?

You should try Aviva online my insurance hasnt gone up in 2-3 years and even went down a few £s.

No we have had no claims at all SnoopZ.

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35741240)
I'm not trying to justify anything, just explain it a little - often nothing about you or what you have/haven't done will affect your insurance premium.

You could be the safest driver in the world with the perfect driving record, have the lowest-group car possible and be in the most low-risk job of all but if a number of people in your area with the same car as you have made accident or theft claims your premium will be affected.

Totally unfair on you of course but insurance is all about risk categories and unfortunately people can be lumbered in the wrong ones.

Thanks for the information Russ as we can understand it a bit more now.:tu:

Cobbydaler 15-11-2014 19:32

4" - 8" of snow forecast overnight & we have a 200 mile drive home tomorrow. Luckily I think they handle clearance a bit better over here (at least I hope so!).

Hom3r 16-11-2014 13:40

Put roast in oven, hour later only fan working in oven no heat, only a small top oven working.

But we can't shop for a new one as my mum is about to go in to hospital and recovery is 2 to 6 weeks.

Just what we really need.