Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Police to get tough on internet trolls. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703445)

Maggy 26-11-2020 20:27

Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Too many regimes have hidden or deleted aspects of history they would like to remove. I say that's a dangerous thing to do. Let's try to be better than our forebears but not try to eradicate our history in doing so. We need to make sure it's all seen including the warts. By all means complain and move slavers statues but make sure that they are placed where we can still acknowledge their failings and possibly any good they did. the same can and should be applied to online material.

RichardCoulter 27-11-2020 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36059900)
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Too many regimes have hidden or deleted aspects of history they would like to remove. I say that's a dangerous thing to do. Let's try to be better than our forebears but not try to eradicate our history in doing so. We need to make sure it's all seen including the warts. By all means complain and move slavers statues but make sure that they are placed where we can still acknowledge their failings and possibly any good they did. the same can and should be applied to online material.

I totally agree, though I think that there's already plenty of harmful/offensive material on the internet to let future historians know how some misused it at the expense of others!

Carth 27-11-2020 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36059946)
I totally agree, though I think that there's already plenty of harmful/offensive material on the internet to let future historians know how some misused it at the expense of others!

Probably easier to think that way if you never had a sense of humour that's now been smashed to pieces and buried deep beneath the foundations of the PC empire.

RichardCoulter 27-11-2020 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36059950)
Probably easier to think that way if you never had a sense of humour that's now been smashed to pieces and buried deep beneath the foundations of the PC empire.

Unlike you I don't find any humour in child sex abuse, the holocaust, homophobia, racism etc.

Carth 27-11-2020 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36059964)
Unlike you I don't find any humour in child sex abuse, the holocaust, homophobia, racism etc.

Neither do I, but then I don't go looking for it :p:

RichardCoulter 27-11-2020 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36059970)
Neither do I, but then I don't go looking for it :p:

It doesn't matter, such material shouldn't be on the internet.

Carth 27-11-2020 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36059983)

In some cases I quite agree, and there are agencies worldwide trying to stop it . . . . and obviously failing due to strange international laws & treaties . . . and the money keeps rolling in :rolleyes:

RichardCoulter 27-11-2020 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36059990)
In some cases I quite agree, and there are agencies worldwide trying to stop it . . . . and obviously failing due to strange international laws & treaties . . . and the money keeps rolling in :rolleyes:

Yup.

Mythica 27-11-2020 15:07

Quote:

Do you not like cards against humanity? Some pretty shocking stuff in there, it's a hilarious game.

Sirius 27-11-2020 19:43

There are to many people who are offended on behalf of those that are not offended. I am 60 years of age and can make my own mind up about what does and does not offend me. I know what i need to do to make sure i do not get offended by using the off button or by avoiding stuff. I don't need weak minded social media sheeple making my mind up for me.

pip08456 27-11-2020 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 36060039)
There are to many people who are offended on behalf of those that are not offended. I am 60 years of age and can make my own mind up about what does and does not offend me. I know what i need to do to make sure i do not get offended by using the off button or by avoiding stuff. I don't need weak minded social media sheeple making my mind up for me.

:clap::clap::clap:

Paul 28-11-2020 01:46

Quote:

Im sure you dont find humour in anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36059983)

You are not the thought police, others are allowed to have different opinions to you.

RichardCoulter 28-11-2020 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36060100)
Im sure you dont find humour in anything.

You are not the thought police, others are allowed to have different opinions to you.

I do, it's just that I and others think that some things are out of bounds.

I certainly aren't the thought police and everyone will have their own opinion regardless, because we all have our own private thoughts in this world- it's the public expression of some opinions, remarks, behaviour etc that is the problem.

It's not illegal to eg make racist remarks in ones own home, but it's a different matter if it's done in public.

Maggy 28-11-2020 10:04

I'm wondering if Richard has read 1984? Just how far does he want Big Brother to go in restricting freedoms? There are places like China and North Korea that heavily restrict their populace access to the internet as it is. That's the danger I want to avoid in my own country. I welcome the freedoms of the internet even if it means that there is material available that I find disgusting or offensive. Also who get's to be arbiter of what's allowed and what's not? Remember that saying of baby and bathwater? it applies to the freedoms of the internet.

denphone 28-11-2020 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36060100)

Its called freedom of thought.:)