Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

Horizon 13-03-2019 14:09

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Even before the Fox acquisition (which completes next Wednesday) Disney had vast amounts of its own tv content. And from next Wednesday, it will have tons more.

I think with tv shows, you can get more into them than you can with films, simply because of the amount of episodes in a average American tv show vs a one off film.

But as for shelf life, Star Wars (the original ones) is still chugging along nicely and then there's all the newer films, almost like a tv series in fact.

Stephen 13-03-2019 14:27

I think though Netflix has a lot of content now and a lot of varied content to appeal to all ages and types of people. Disney's own service might be more limited.

However only ti e will tell.

muppetman11 13-03-2019 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35986417)
I think though Netflix has a lot of content now and a lot of varied content to appeal to all ages and types of people. Disney's own service might be more limited.

It may very well have but it's still far less than that of Disney/Fox or Comcast/Sky.

How many shows advertised as Netflix originals have rights owned by another broadcaster also.

Horizon 13-03-2019 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35986417)

I think you're right. Netflix's own library of original shows and films is huge now and growing almost daily. They've gone from nothing to being the biggest media company in the world, in what seems almost like a instant. They are still the ones everyone else has to catch up with.

As you say, we'll have to wait and see what Disney offer on their streaming services, but as their material won't be available on Netflix in the future and considering the fact that the enlarged Disney will make around a third of all American films and shows that comes out of Hollywood. And add to the fact that their archive will be immense and their rights to future stuff or remake older stuff is also immense, if they do streaming properly, they'll be right up there with Netflix or even eventually beat them.

jfman 16-03-2019 08:36

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp.../#17d0a07b2886

Interesting thoughts from Forbes.

Netflix has debt of $200 per subscriber. No wonder they’ve put their prices up.

I’m not predicting doom and gloom for Netflix but it clearly can’t exist in the “low cost” subscription model forever.

denphone 16-03-2019 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35986925)

I’m not predicting doom and gloom for Netflix but it clearly can’t exist in the “low cost” subscription model forever.

The reckoning will come in time l suspect..

jfman 16-03-2019 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35986928)
The reckoning will come in time l suspect..

Stumbled across that trying to verify if Netflix are indeed the biggest media company in the world. The evidence suggests they are not, with Comcast dwarfing Netflix by revenue, profits and market capitalisation. Other companies will be larger than Netflix across a range of meaningful metrics.

Comcast who own Sky, among others, who in turn operate the Now TV platform in the UK.

I can see Netflix doing the old debt for equity swap before being swallowed up by another media company.

muppetman11 16-03-2019 13:36

The likes of Comcast , Disney and Warner Media also have far more options available to them when it comes to monetising content in this respect Netflix is a one trick pony.

Theme parks , merchandise , advertising platforms are just a few examples.

OLD BOY 16-03-2019 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35986970)
The likes of Comcast , Disney and Warner Media also have far more options available to them when it comes to monetising content in this respect Netflix is a one trick pony.

Theme parks , merchandise , advertising platforms are just a few examples.

If they were to turn out to be significant issues, I am sure that Netflix could diversify their operations. I really think that those predicting the demise of Netflix are way off beam. They remain the best streaming service in the world to date.

jfman 16-03-2019 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35986976)
If they were to turn out to be significant issues, I am sure that Netflix could diversify their operations. I really think that those predicting the demise of Netflix are way off beam. They remain the best streaming service in the world to date.

Where does the money come from to diversify if they are $30bn in debt?

In any other sector this would be a business in distress. The shareholders are essentially hoping someone buys them because of their existing technology and customer base.

Larger companies with existing profitable businesses (and crucially assets to support their debt) like Liberty, Comcast or dare I even suggest Amazon could pull the rug from under a Netflix very easily if it was worthwhile. I suspect it isn’t, but it’s a precarious position.

OLD BOY 16-03-2019 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35986984)
Where does the money come from to diversify if they are $30bn in debt?

In any other sector this would be a business in distress. The shareholders are essentially hoping someone buys them because of their existing technology and customer base.

Larger companies with existing profitable businesses (and crucially assets to support their debt) like Liberty, Comcast or dare I even suggest Amazon could pull the rug from under a Netflix very easily if it was worthwhile. I suspect it isn’t, but it’s a precarious position.

Yes, they are in debt because they are investing heavily in the future. Clearly, investors believe that the future is worth investing in as far as this company is concerned.

In time, Netflix will presumably give rights to show their older original content and bolster their income that way.

jfman 16-03-2019 15:06

Plenty of companies go bankrupt on the same basis.

Horizon 16-03-2019 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35986925)

I currently own Netlfix shares and I see it going either two ways:

1. They collapse under their debt mountain before generating a penny in profit.
2. Their subscriber numbers continue to accelerate upwards allowing free cash flow to bring down their debts and who knows, even make a profit at some point before 2100.

Obviously, I prefer option 2, but its a high risk game they play. But Disney's service doesn't start until the end of the year and it will be several years, if at all, before they can catch Netflix, in my opinion. That's what I'm betting on. First mover in any field is still a major advantage.

At some point they have to stop spending all that money and hope they have enough content to keep existing subscribers and attract new ones.

muppetman11 16-03-2019 16:17

Disney doesn't need to have as many subscribers to have an impact on Netflix with so many options around the corner what happens if Netflix growth stalls ?

denphone 16-03-2019 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35987004)
Disney doesn't need to have as many subscribers to have an impact on Netflix with so many options around the corner what happens if Netflix growth stalls ?

Disney's huge back catalogue and their more recent content is something Netflix cannot compete with.

jfman 16-03-2019 16:25

I hope Netflix are part of the diverse landscape in the future, but I also hope it's with a sustainable business model.

As Eleven Sports have demonstrated it's possible to leave rights holders, your own subscribers and subscribers of other platforms worse off by your participation in the market.

The range of choice available is better off for Netflix as part of it, for now, but if they are just going to be another platform with premium add ons for sports, near cinema release movies, etc. then what's in it for the average consumer?

Horizon 16-03-2019 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35987004)

Depends where that growth stalls, if it does at all.

If its in the States, they probably will be unable to generate anymore new subscribers anyway, so not a problem. If its internationally the growth stalls, then yes, that's a major problem and I'd expect they'd go belly up pretty quickly as investors rush for the exit door.

I'm expecting international growth, year-on-year for the next three years, by which time, some of their revenues need to go into paying some debt.

Netflix's response about Disney is they will have enough of their content to cushion the loss of Disney's content and they say they welcome the competition, as that grows the overall streaming market for everyone. THat's their line. I think they have three years before Disney will impact their business and they need to be big enough to cushion that impact.

I see Netflix as Sky was at the beginning. If they can grow big enough quickly, they will remain top dog. Comcast and others have already said that they intend to continue to licence some of their content to other companies, so that's a major plus point for Netflix. Without other Hollywood material, I'd be far more nervous about Netflix's prospects.

Depending on price, there's room for probably 4-6 global streamers here, it's just a case of how the cake is sliced and by whom.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987005)
Disney's huge back catalogue and their more recent content is something Netflix cannot compete with.

Netflix has 139 million customers. Disney has zero for its global streaming app, because it doesn't exist yet.

It's Disney who has to compete and they will, I've no doubt about that all. (I own Disney shares too.)

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35986986)
In time, Netflix will presumably give rights to show their older original content and bolster their income that way.

I hope not! Kinda destroys their business model if they do that.

The content they make now, in theory, should still be making them money for years to come. If they start licence it to others, it becomes a complete mess. However, I rule nothing out.;)

denphone 16-03-2019 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987014)
Netflix has 139 million customers. Disney has zero for its global streaming app, because it doesn't exist yet.

It's Disney who has to compete and they will, I've no doubt about that all.

Just because they have 139 million customers now does not mean that will be the case in a few years time as there have been many big companies who many thought were untouchable only to find a few years after these companies were struggling to survive in a ever changing market.

Mad Max 16-03-2019 16:59

Is this an anti Netflix thread......:D

denphone 16-03-2019 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35987029)

Don't be so daft MM as its a discussion with the usual differing views on the future streaming market.:)

jfman 16-03-2019 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35987029)

It occurred to me it would be read that way, but perspective can get lost from time to time.

Horizon 16-03-2019 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987023)
Just because they have 139 million customers now does not mean that will be the case in a few years time as there have been many big companies who many thought were untouchable only to find a few years after these companies were struggling to survive in a ever changing market.

Err??

Which big companies had that many customers and then lost them a few years later?

Hugh 16-03-2019 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987089)
Err??

Which big companies had that many customers and then lost them a few years later?

MySpace had 76 million users, Google+ had 540 million users...

denphone 17-03-2019 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987094)

You only have to look at this company who were massive before certain rivals started to park on its lawn and as you have pointed out some of the other examples as well and the business world is littered with casualties who thought they were untouchable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_LLC

Horizon 17-03-2019 13:13

Quote:

Users being the word here.

Netflix has 139+ paying customers, not users.

Hugh 17-03-2019 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987089)
Err??

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987156)
Users being the word word here.

Netflix has 139+ paying customers, not users.

So "users" aren't customers?

You didn't have the word "paying" in your initial statement...

Horizon 17-03-2019 14:06

This is silly...

Netflix has paying customers. The users who used Myspace and Google+, at least most of them, didn't pay for a service and that might explain why those services don't exist anymore.

spiderplant 17-03-2019 14:07

Nokia. Pan Am. Lehman Brothers. Kodak.

Could be adding Boeing to that list if they don't handle their current crisis well.

I was reading earlier about a drug tampering incident in the US.
"Before the poisonings, Tylenol brands held around 35% of the US market for acetaminophen [paracetamol] and in the immediate aftermath, fell to 8%"
In that instance, the manufacturer handled the situation well, and eventually recovered their market share, but it shows how external factors can play a part.

denphone 17-03-2019 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987169)
This is silly...

Netflix has paying customers. The users who used Myspace and Google+, at least most of them, didn't pay for a service and that might explain why those services don't exist anymore.

Customers nowadays are quick to vote with their feet if they don't think they are getting value for money and no company can sit on their laurels and think that loyalty is permanent because it ain't as the business world is littered with corpses where companies took their customers for granted and then several years down the road found out that those customers were not there anymore and had gone off to someone else.

Horizon 17-03-2019 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35987170)
Nokia. Pan Am. Lehman Brothers. Kodak.

Could be adding Boeing to that list if they don't handle their current crisis well.

I was reading earlier about a drug tampering incident in the US.
"Before the poisonings, Tylenol brands held around 35% of the US market for acetaminophen [paracetamol] and in the immediate aftermath, fell to 8%"
In that instance, the manufacturer handled the situation well, and eventually recovered their market share, but it shows how external factors can play a part.

I don't think Netflix intends to poison anyone and we could go through each one of those others, but really...?

Those were old companies who were behind the curve. Netflix is not only ahead of the curve, but leading it.

If someone comes out with a product that is better and cheaper than Netflix, then of course they're at risk. But 139m+ customers is a massive ladder for competitors to climb up and they won't get there anytime in the next three years, if at all.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987175)
Customers nowadays are quick to vote with their feet if they don't think they are getting value for money and no company can sit on their laurels and think that loyalty is permanent because it ain't as the business world is littered with corpses where companies took their customers for granted and then several years down the road found out that those customers were not there any more and had gone off to someone else.

Agree, which is why Netflix is spending the money now on content while its still in its growth phase.

oliver1948uk 17-03-2019 16:35

Microsoft was 'not only ahead of the curve, but leading it'.

Is it now?

spiderplant 17-03-2019 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987185)
I don't think Netflix intends to poison anyone

Just to clarify, the manufacturer didn't poison anybody. Someone injected cyanide into the capsules once they were on shop shelves. I just used it as an example of how unexpected external forces can seriously impact a business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35987189)
Microsoft was 'not only ahead of the curve, but leading it'. Is it now?

Actually, yes. A good example of a company reinventing itself.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewc.../#3eb9fbb25ce1

They have had more than their fair share of mis-steps over the years, though. I bet I'm the only person here still using Windows Phone :)

cheekyangus 17-03-2019 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35987191)
They have had more than their fair share of mis-steps over the years, though. I bet I'm the only person here still using Windows Phone :)

Nope. Still using mine.

OLD BOY 17-03-2019 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987014)
I hope not! Kinda destroys their business model if they do that.

The content they make now, in theory, should still be making them money for years to come. If they start licence it to others, it becomes a complete mess. However, I rule nothing out.;)

Not really. Once they've had their originals on there for, say, five years, most people who subscribe to Netflix to watch these programmes will either have watched them already or are not interested enough to view them. When that point is reached, it makes perfect sense to let other streamers or TV channels have access to them. If it is not on an exclusive basis then Netflix doesn't have to take those shows off its platform.

muppetman11 17-03-2019 17:45

The problem being many Netflix originals aren't actually owned by Netflix.

OLD BOY 17-03-2019 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35987200)
The problem being many Netflix originals aren't actually owned by Netflix.

I guess that depends on the nature of the contract between Netflix and the owners of the content.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987023)

139 million customers and you still predict doom and gloom. Unbelievable! :eek:

denphone 17-03-2019 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987207)

139 million customers and you still predict doom and gloom. Unbelievable! :eek:

No doom and gloom from me OB as l would call it a dose of actual reality rather then the usual pie in the sky la-la land narrative...;)

muppetman11 17-03-2019 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987207)
I guess that depends on the nature of the contract between Netflix and the owners of the content.

Quite a few shows advertised as Netflix originals are shows Netflix have jumped on to distribute in other territories than that of the host broadcaster.

An example is The Sinner which is distributed by NBC Universal there are many more examples.

OLD BOY 17-03-2019 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987212)
No doom and gloom from me OB as l would call it a dose of actual reality rather then the usual pie in the sky la-la land narrative...;)

'Actual reality'? I have come to believe you are lurking in a parallel universe! You predict the demise of Netflix and accuse me of dodgy forecasts!

denphone 17-03-2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987214)
'Actual reality'? I have come to believe you are lurking in a parallel universe! You predict the demise of Netflix and accuse me of dodgy forecasts!

l predicted that there would be a reckoning for Netflix due to increasing competition from some very powerful new players who will have lots of high quality newer content and a vast older catalogue of high quality content at its disposal which is something Netflix certainly does not have.

jfman 17-03-2019 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987215)
l predicted that there would be a reckoning for Netflix due to increasing competition from some very powerful new players who will have lots of high quality newer content and a vast older catalogue of high quality content at its disposal which is something Netflix certainly does not have.

Plus $30bn of debt and little by way of assets.

If this was a cable operator everyone would be predicting the end in terms of when not if. However companies in the “.com” bubble seem to get a pass.

Hugh 17-03-2019 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987216)

If this was a cable operator everyone would be predicting the end in terms of when not if. However companies in the “.com” bubble seem to get a pass.

Unless you lived through, and remember, the last dot-com bubble.

Horizon 17-03-2019 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35987189)
Microsoft was 'not only ahead of the curve, but leading it'.

Is it now?

That is a good example, true. But most computers still use Windows, it's just most young people don't use computers but android smartphones.

Leaving aside Spiderplant's reply to you, which I agree with, I would keep a close eye on Microsoft in regards to streaming.

Microsoft's silence on this matter is deafening and they still have the cash do do whatever they want, including taking on Netflix or buying them, should they wish to do so. Whether they actually do, I've no idea, but Murdoch sold most of his his empire due to the threat from the tech giants and Microsoft is still a Big Daddy looming in the shadows.

The one to see whether they lead or flop is Amazon. I cannot work out whether they are a retailer, streamer, AI, cloud company etc. They do too many things and will ultimately break off into several different companies to survice or die.

What I like about Netflix is you can understand it. It does streaming. That's it.

jfman 17-03-2019 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987220)

I did, and do, but the lessons don’t appear to have been learned.

Horizon 17-03-2019 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987216)

AT&T has a few pennies of debt...

Netflix's debt is mostly long term and is being serviced by its enormous revenues. If people thought Netflix was a credit risk, they wouldn't lend to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987220)

Most of those dot.coms were pure rubbish though, and simply the internet evolved and made most of them irrelevant.

Most of the dot.coms barely had any revenues to speak of too, unlike Netflix.

jfman 17-03-2019 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987227)
AT&T has a few pennies of debt...

Netflix's debt is mostly long term and is being serviced by its enormous revenues. If people thought Netflix was a credit risk, they wouldn't lend to them.

Most of those dot.coms were pure rubbish though, and simply the internet evolved and made most of them irrelevant.

Most of the dot.coms barely had any revenues to speak of too, unlike Netflix.

AT&T have $531bn of assets.

Horizon 17-03-2019 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987199)
Not really. Once they've had their originals on there for, say, five years, most people who subscribe to Netflix to watch these programmes will either have watched them already or are not interested enough to view them. When that point is reached, it makes perfect sense to let other streamers or TV channels have access to them. If it is not on an exclusive basis then Netflix doesn't have to take those shows off its platform.

I can't say for sure that Netflix won't do that, but it seems unlikely.

A lot of tv and films do become outdated quickly, so there is a shelf life for a lot of stuff, but if you haven't seen something before, regardless of its age, it's new. There will always be new audiences for older stuff. Disney's Mickey Mouse is still going strong and making money for Disney after all this time, as but one example of something old, yet new to some.

The tv series Friends is another example of something old now, yet people still lapping it up, which is why Netflix paid a load more money to keep the series on its service for another year.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987228)
AT&T have $531bn of assets.

I know.

OLD BOY 18-03-2019 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987229)
I can't say for sure that Netflix won't do that, but it seems unlikely.

A lot of tv and films do become outdated quickly, so there is a shelf life for a lot of stuff, but if you haven't seen something before, regardless of its age, it's new. There will always be new audiences for older stuff. Disney's Mickey Mouse is still going strong and making money for Disney after all this time, as but one example of something old, yet new to some.

The tv series Friends is another example of something old now, yet people still lapping it up, which is why Netflix paid a load more money to keep the series on its service for another year.

The Netflix Original production 'House of Cards' and others have turned up on the Virgin Media UHD Channel, so it's already happening.

cheekyangus 18-03-2019 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987237)
The Netflix Original production 'House of Cards' and others have turned up on the Virgin Media UHD Channel, so it's already happening.

One thing I've noticed is that many Netflix shows have long been available on DVD/Blu-ray whereas Amazon ones haven't. I used to get the get the best of both via LoveFilm (before they disappeared obviously, and before they messed with their payment tier which resulted in me stopping being a customer) by renting the DVDs of likes of House Of Cards alongside streaming likes of Bosch.

I get impression Amazon contacts give the production company less control to do deals with shows elsewhere, I've never seen a true Amazon Original available via other media or broadcaster (I don't include Ripper Street as BBC still retained involvement after cancelling it).

Another example of Netflix shows appearing on broadcast TV is Sony Crime and Orange Is The New Black.

I think what blurs the lines with both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is they both label outside shows as Originals and they are often first shown on other network in other countries, they only premiere on them elsewhere e.g. Orphan Black which was a BBC America show.

Many people are as a result giving Netflix and Amazon credit for shows that they didn't originate.

And now there are more complicated examples, where regional broadcasters/production companies are bringing the pair of them (not at the same time, one or the other) in primarily so they can get a bigger budget. Good Omens on Amazon was originally a BBC show, but they recognised during development they (& other companies involved at the time) needed more money to do justice and Amazon clearly asked for first transmission as part of the deal for additional funding. So BBC Two will now be showing it later in the year, despite BBC Studios still making it.

I have no problem with co-productions, but it really annoys me Amazon calling it an Original when they are late to the project.

OLD BOY 18-03-2019 09:33

They are originals, shown by Netflix. So called because it is shown for the first time in the UK.

cheekyangus 18-03-2019 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987252)
They are originals, shown by Netflix. So called because it is shown for the first time in the UK.

I'd rather they called shows like that Premieres or Firsts. Originals suggests ownership and is misleading.

Horizon 18-03-2019 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987237)

Ahh. Interesting, did not know that.

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35987248)

Another example of Netflix shows appearing on broadcast TV is Sony Crime and Orange Is The New Black.

Wasn't aware of that either.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35987248)

I have no problem with co-productions, but it really annoys me Amazon calling it an Original when they are late to the project.

As far as Netflix co-productions goes, they seem very happy with them and its a situation they are going to continue with. Bodyguard has been very successful for them internationally. But it does blur the lines, I agree.

I would be quite happy if Netflix went back to being what it originally was, which was a one stop shop for everyone's else's stuff.

muppetman11 19-03-2019 12:59

Sky partners with BBC Studios to bring customers iconic British box sets

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/m...itish-box-sets

OLD BOY 19-03-2019 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35987542)

I wonder if VM will do a similar deal to add these shows to their on demand service?

denphone 19-03-2019 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987547)
I wonder if VM will do a similar deal to add these shows to their on demand service?

I doubt it given Virgins usual inertia in adding things.

alwaysabear 19-03-2019 15:49

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47629869
Looks like the streamers have missed out on FA Cup rights until 2025

denphone 19-03-2019 15:52

No surprise at all big bear but l am sure the next plethora of obfuscating backtracking excuses won't be long in coming from the master of future predictions.;)

jfman 19-03-2019 16:00

In their defence that’s just the FTA rights. ;)

alwaysabear 19-03-2019 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987589)
In their defence that’s just the FTA rights. ;)

That's where the audience is, 8.1 million watched the Chelsea v Man Utd game.

OLD BOY 20-03-2019 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987556)
I doubt it given Virgins usual inertia in adding things.

I'm not so sure. Wasn't this one of Virgin's arguments in the UKTV dispute? I think we should get this archive material via the BBC and UKTV following on from that.

denphone 20-03-2019 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987655)
I'm not so sure. Wasn't this one of Virgin's arguments in the UKTV dispute? I think we should get this archive material via the BBC and UKTV following on from that.

Well lets see if we get the archive material via the BBC and UKTV as thus so far its all talk without much substantiated substance.

Stephen 20-03-2019 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987655)

This though is a specific deal done by Sky. So if VM get access to any of them that will either be down to their existing contract or be dependant on a new one.

muppetman11 20-03-2019 10:17

Google reveals gaming platform Stadia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47623414

denphone 20-03-2019 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35987691)
Google reveals gaming platform Stadia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47623414

Interesting as they have considerable resources at their disposal but they are going to need them if they are to compete with the big boys.

OLD BOY 20-03-2019 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987661)
Well lets see if we get the archive material via the BBC and UKTV as thus so far its all talk without much substantiated substance.

All talk? VM put their money where their mouth was when it took off the UKTV channels from their platform.

Remember, the archive issue was meant to be part of the deal for bringing back the UKTV channels.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35987673)
This though is a specific deal done by Sky. So if VM get access to any of them that will either be down to their existing contract or be dependant on a new one.

I think it may become apparent that VM already have a deal.

jfman 23-03-2019 20:31

In the USA the streaming service DAZN has sensationally doubled its price from $9.99 a month to $19.99. Hopefully not a sign of things to come in the “low cost” streaming world.

Raider999 23-03-2019 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35988326)
In the USA the streaming service DAZN has sensationally doubled its price from $9.99 a month to $19.99. Hopefully not a sign of things to come in the “low cost” streaming world.

Get used to it, if it can happen now what will happen when streaming rules the world?

denphone 24-03-2019 04:43

Quote:

All those separate streaming costs are getting mightily expensive that is for sure.

OLD BOY 24-03-2019 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35988348)
All those separate streaming costs are getting mightily expensive that is for sure.

It's still cheaper than Sky Sports, though, isn't it?

denphone 24-03-2019 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35988369)

One would expect Sky Sports to be dearer OB but there are many good offers out there if one opens their eyes...

OLD BOY 24-03-2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35988371)
One would expect Sky Sports to be dearer OB but there are many good offers out there if one opens their eyes...

Yes, I was really thinking that DAZN is a sports streaming channel showing a range of different sports including football and so it is more appropriate to compare the price with Sky Sports rather than Netflix or Amazon.

Sport is always going to be more expensive, but personally, not being a sports person, I will be happy not to have to pay for sport as part of any of my packages when I finally ditch my pay tv channels. It would be interesting to know what proportion of my 'Full House' package goes towards BT Sport, which I never watch.

jfman 24-03-2019 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35988369)

Not as much as you might think, Sky Sports is available for 9 months on Now TV for £21.22 per month including UK VAT (£195). The DAZN USA price will not include an equivalent sales tax.

Of course Sky Sports is the premier product in the market offering an unparalleled range of content. DAZN does not do this in the USA.

johnathome 24-03-2019 19:57

Quote:

To be fair they've massively increased their coverage.
Current subscribers get the old price for another year or the yearly sub is $99.99.

Big headline but isn't bad if you do a year.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/d...ly-annual-pass

alwaysabear 25-03-2019 09:15

Signs of subscription fatigue https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/busi...ost_type=share

muppetman11 25-03-2019 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35988537)

Anyone wanting to watch today's announcement

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/25/ap...g-credit-card/

Aguero9320 26-03-2019 14:49

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/11/hulu-uk/

Looks like the UK might be getting Hulu after all.

bbxxl 26-03-2019 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 35988738)
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/11/hulu-uk/

Looks like the UK might be getting Hulu after all.

That article was written last year. The Disney/Fox deal closed last week.

OLD BOY 26-03-2019 17:10

The article I read on Disney + a few months ago stated that the new streaming service would have three strands to it - Disney productions including Marvel productions, Hulu and sport.

bbxxl 26-03-2019 17:17

Disney+ will operate alongside Hulu.
Disney now own 60% of Hulu

OLD BOY 26-03-2019 19:14

Some more information here on Apple+, which should be launching this autumn. And guess what - they are looking at bundling channels (streaming services) at a discount. Well, who'd have thought it? :D

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/1...inals-channels

Pricing for the various Apple TV Channels hasn’t been disclosed. It’s been rumored that Apple will offer bundles of them at a discount, but the company didn’t delve into any of that today.

Hugh 26-03-2019 19:25

It's rumoured...

OLD BOY 26-03-2019 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35988767)
It's rumoured...

That's right, but at least hopefully it shows tbe idea isn't completely off the wall.

Hugh 26-03-2019 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35988772)
That's right, but at least hopefully it shows tbe idea isn't completely off the wall.

Depends who it's rumoured by - if it's Apple, I agree; if it's not, not so much...

jfman 26-03-2019 21:33

The market will be saturated and far from lowering costs to the end user it’ll force prices up.

love Virgin2013 27-03-2019 04:14

UKTV Channels have been taken off TV Player from yesterday.

so they have now lost these channels as well as freesports which happened last week.

OLD BOY 27-03-2019 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35988778)
The market will be saturated and far from lowering costs to the end user it’ll force prices up.

That's not how increased competition works.

denphone 27-03-2019 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35988791)

Increased competition in many areas has given us higher rail ticket prices , higher energy bills , higher water bills etc , etc , etc....

OLD BOY 27-03-2019 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35988795)
Increased competition in many areas has given us higher rail ticket prices , higher energy bills , higher water bills etc , etc , etc....

True competition does not exist in the areas you quote, Den. For example how do you get to choose which water company you are going to have providing services to you other than by moving house?

Genuine free competition in which customers can choose between multiple providers without government controls getting in the way leads to lower prices.

denphone 27-03-2019 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35988798)
True competition does not exist in the areas you quote, Den. For example how do you get to choose which water company you are going to have providing services to you other than by moving house?

Genuine free competition in which customers can choose between multiple providers without government controls getting in the way leads to lower prices.

Look at the mobile phone sector as one example where the prices of middle to top spec mobile phones seem to get dearer and dearer so increased competition there has not lowered the prices one iota.

Raider999 27-03-2019 08:59

Quote:

It's exactly how it worked when the Premier League were forced to stop Sky getting all the UK rights.

With the entry of new broadcasters ensured to have at least 1 package of rights the cost for these packages spiralled as the competing broadcasters tried to secure as many of the packages as they could/wanted.

Prime example of competition raising prices!

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Quote:

Have to agree with you regarding genuine free competition - however it rarely works that way

Hugh 27-03-2019 10:53

Quote:

Would those be the same government controls stopping monopolies, which lead to increased prices?

jfman 30-03-2019 18:47

Quote:

In textbooks maybe.

However you’ve ignored the important qualifications to that economic theory. It assumes a large number of suppliers offering directly comparable products that substitute for each other.

It also assumes barriers to entry are low allowing suppliers to enter or exit the market easily.

The pay-tv market doesn’t work this way. Barriers to entry are high, even in streaming, which is why the current market can at best be described as oligopoly. The same applies to their upstream supliers: the Vauxhall Conference isn’t a comparable product to the Premiership. Last years cinema releases aren’t comparable with movies from the 90s.

Streaming won’t change that if it’s dominated by huge US media conglomerates plus Amazon and Netflix.

OLD BOY 30-03-2019 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35989196)
In textbooks maybe.

However you’ve ignored the important qualifications to that economic theory. It assumes a large number of suppliers offering directly comparable products that substitute for each other.

It also assumes barriers to entry are low allowing suppliers to enter or exit the market easily.

The pay-tv market doesn’t work this way. Barriers to entry are high, even in streaming, which is why the current market can at best be described as oligopoly. The same applies to their upstream supliers: the Vauxhall Conference isn’t a comparable product to the Premiership. Last years cinema releases aren’t comparable with movies from the 90s.

Streaming won’t change that if it’s dominated by huge US media conglomerates plus Amazon and Netflix.

Sorry, jfman, I don't quite understand your argument. What are the 'barriers to entry' that you are talking about here? Do you mean the fact that some households cannot yet receive super-fast broadband? If so, that problem will be solved when the Government's programme is fulfilled.

Horizon 30-03-2019 21:08

No, Old Boy he means the charges that companies will charge.

So, if you're a independent film maker with a £200k budget, most of which is spent on making a film, the chance that the film will ever appear on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ etc is zero because the barriers, the charges, will be too high.

Another example is premiership football. If you're a new media company today, you could never afford to compete against the big players for the rights to show matches, as the barriers, the charges, are too high.

I've not always agreed with jfman in regards to this thread, but on this I do agree. I had a graphic somewhere (which I can't find) which illustrated that something like 40-50 years ago there were 200+ American media companies. Essentially, that 200 is now down to less than 10.

And its not just tv, newspapers in the States are dominated now by just a couple of companies.

Another "recent" example of this is search engines. Anyone remember Lycos, Yahoo, Alta Vista? Now its pretty much just Google or Mircosoft's Bing. Two companies dominating all internet search, where there used to be dozens. And those two companies decide what is relevant or not, when you search for a term.

All organisations want to get as big and powerful as possible and streaming will be no different. There may well be dozens of streamers out there, like there is now, but the streaming market will be dominated by no more six players at most. Which six, take your bets now.

jfman 30-03-2019 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35989206)
Sorry, jfman, I don't quite understand your argument. What are the 'barriers to entry' that you are talking about here? Do you mean the fact that some households cannot yet receive super-fast broadband? If so, that problem will be solved when the Government's programme is fulfilled.

No, because that’s not within the control of a new entrant. What you are suggesting there is an insufficient market to sell into.

Barriers to entry would be anything that stops you, me or anyone else easily setting up a streaming service and makes it easier for Comcast or Disney to do it.

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35989213)
Which six, take your bets now.

And importantly those six are unlikely to replicate the pricing strategies of companies that exist in perfectly competitive markets. Profits are maximised by allowing prices to creep up, as with a monopoly.

It’s nice that Netflix found people to borrow $20bn from to develop and grow their business, however it’s unrealisable for all but a small number of companies to do this.

muppetman11 01-04-2019 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35987542)

These seem to have started appearing now in the On Demand section , 30 Rock , The Mindy Project and Law and Order SVU have also suggesting Comcast is now bolstering On Demand with it's NBC Universal content.

jfman 01-04-2019 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35989478)
These seem to have started appearing now in the On Demand section , 30 Rock , The Mindy Project and Law and Order SVU have also suggesting Comcast is now bolstering On Demand with it's NBC Universal content.

Makes sense. By vertically integrating the major distributors can lock out the competition throughout the supply chain. On a global level.

Horizon 01-04-2019 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35989478)

On the BBC boxsets appearing on Sky, that would seem to suggest that Britbox won't be the exclusive home of older Beeb content, which was assumed was going to be the case.

OLD BOY 02-04-2019 19:59

Discovery streaming service global launch planned for 2020.

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/Disco...D-services.php

EXTRACT

Discovery is expanding its push into subscription streaming TV with a range of new direct-to-consumer video services, including a natural history partnership with the BBC.

Discovery was among the first of the major media brands to try its hand at the direct-to-consumer proposition, originally with an OTT offer launched in the Nordics. The content producer is planning to launch new themed SVOD services, drawing on the specialties of Discovery’s channels. The company owns TV channels including Discovery, Food Network and HGTV. The plan is to segment and package content into streaming plans catering for viewers with different interest, as Discovery aims to become something of a Netflix of factual programming.

The most high profile of these is a new natural-history service that includes content from the BBC, creating a combined library with titles such as “Planet Earth” and “Blue Planet.” Discovery didn’t disclose the price, but expects it will cost a few dollars a month when it launches globally in 2020. The 10-year content partnership is effective for all territories outside the UK, Ireland and Greater China.

Discovery has also acquired SVOD rights to hundreds of hours of BBC programming across factual genres. All of this content will form one of the pillars of a new global streaming service, which will also include some of the best of Discovery’s programming library, original content created for the service, and experiences.

jfman 02-04-2019 20:44

To be expected really.

The worldwide end to end vertical integration of content makes sense for Discovery, Viacom, Comcast, Liberty Global, Disney, Fox, CBS, Netflix and Amazon in the long run.

It'll be interesting to see what a "few dollars per month" translates into. Everyone wants the Netflix customer base but without the $20bn of debt.