Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : BBC Red Button (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686927)

andy_m 14-04-2012 07:39

Re: BBC Red Button

LOVING red button this morning. My little boy really likes the in car view. Really good effort from the BBC. I've had cause to complain to them this week about their sport coverage, but they've got this right.

denphone 16-04-2012 06:31

Well so far my impressions of the new BBC apps is that the BBC new app is very impressive but at the moment the sports app still needs a lot of work done to it yet as all that is on there at the moment is F1 clips.

Itshim 16-04-2012 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35414410)
Well so far my impressions of the new BBC apps is that the BBC new app is very impressive but at the moment the sports app still needs a lot of work done to it yet as all that is on there at the moment is F1 clips.

I so agree a LONG way from anything like the finished product. However as with all things what is the perception & what is the reality of what is promised are two different things. The V+ is still a far better platform for delivering this SERVICE!!!! :shocked:

Itshim 16-04-2012 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35413457)
Well perhaps it might come quicker then you think Itshim.

Given the track record. I would expect it to be completely up & running ( ie matching other sources) sometime mid 2013 :dozey: So I guess you may just be right - How about early 2013 !
Along with my BB upgrade ( That`s a year plus away & I thought I planned ahead !!)

Gavin-D 16-04-2012 15:32

The BBC are saying that the World snooker Championships will be shown on the red button on cable I wonder if the includes the new App?

Quote:

All matches also available live via the Red Button on digital, satellite and cable, Freeview coverage may vary.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/16659380

denphone 16-04-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35414578)
The BBC are saying that the World snooker Championships will be shown on the red button on cable I wonder if the includes the new App?

From what l know it does not include being shown on the new app at present.

paultrademark 16-04-2012 16:00

Pretty poor if this isn't available on TiVo yet it's available on older boxes they are trying to get customers to 'upgrade'

BenMcr 16-04-2012 16:14

If I had to guess I reckon it's down to the BBC's desire to have a consistent UI experience across all platforms. Not all other devices that have the News app and will get the Sport app can receive the TV streams, so the BBC haven't included access within the apps yet, whereas they can all access internet video.

Itshim 16-04-2012 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35414603)
If I had to guess I reckon it's down to the BBC's desire to have a consistent UI experience across all platforms. Not all other devices that have the News app and will get the Sport app can receive the TV streams, so the BBC haven't included access within the apps yet, whereas they can all access internet video.

I am sure you are right & its down to the BBC . BUT it does nothing for The TiVo box :dozey:

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35414578)

Please NOTE may vary :p:

denphone 16-04-2012 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35414620)

In other words coming soon.

BenMcr 16-04-2012 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35414620)

Think that is only referring to Freeview due to the comma

Mobes 16-04-2012 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35414579)
From what l know it does not include being shown on the new app at present.

I know more sport will be coming soon on both Sky and BBC but at the minute, no snooker & no Sky Tennis on TIVO...beginning to feel like I'm paying more for less >:(

andy_m 16-04-2012 17:13

It's pretty clear from the description as "BBC sport for connected TV" that this app isn't just for TiVo but is in fact probably the future of the BBC red button across all platforms. That simply can't be used as a stick to beat Virgin or TiVo with.

Itshim 17-04-2012 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35414635)
It's pretty clear from the description as "BBC sport for connected TV" that this app isn't just for TiVo but is in fact probably the future of the BBC red button across all platforms. That simply can't be used as a stick to beat Virgin or TiVo with.

I am not "blaming" Virgin or in fact, the TiVo box for the lack of uses on the red button.
I can point the finger at Virgin for one of the BIGGEST hyp over substance I have seen in years:erm:
However to say that the BBC red button, is coming soon ,here all ready or up and running -however true the bare fact may be . Is very misleading.

Its somewhat like launching a new car with out its engine. Its here, it runs ( if you push it!) .You can play with it ,however its NOT what most sane people expect when told that the car is launched .

Virgin seem to shoot them self's in the foot time & time again :p:

Doug P 17-04-2012 10:40

Virgin seem to shoot them self's in the foot time & time again says the above poster...

I do not agree the TIVO box is coming along nicely and is getting better each month.