Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Oscar Pistorius arrested after fatal shooting. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692016)

Derek 24-02-2013 11:53

Re: Oscar Pistorius arrested after fatal shooting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35540219)
In my humble opinion he should have never be granted bail as that certainly would not happen in this country.

As Kymmy said people get bailed when facing murder charges quite frequently in the UK these days.

I think he did it, too many inconsistencies in his story but the police investigation seems to be a bit half arsed and I won't be surprised if he gets off with it.

That said I've a sneaky suspicion he will kill himself before any trial.

thenry 28-03-2013 17:10

Quote:

Oscar Pistorius wins travel right after bail challenge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21963862

Derek 28-03-2013 18:47

So would it be unfair to suggest he will be competing in countries without an extradition agreement with South Africa?

thenry 28-03-2013 18:51

Heeeeeeeeeeeeerooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

thenry 28-03-2013 19:29

I don't understand. I use to wear mickey mouse pants.

TheDaddy 28-03-2013 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35554137)
So would it be unfair to suggest he will be competing in countries without an extradition agreement with South Africa?

I wouldn't have thought he'll be competing anywhere, all this can't have done his training regime any good, expect to see him on opera though washing it all out in public, that'll be nice for the girls family, kill their daughter and then go on TV to talk about it and presumably trouser a large fee.

thenry 21-11-2013 15:08

Quote:

Pistorius Served Papers With 2 More Gun Charges

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...arges-20948768

Chris 21-11-2013 17:51

That looks like a stalking charge to me ... the prosecution is fighting dirty. I wonder if they're worried the jury will believe his claim to have thought he was shooting a burglar?

adzii_nufc 21-11-2013 18:03

Surely he can't escape a sentence either way though, his claim in my opinion is still manslaughter. The shooting wasn't justified as he has no evidence of burglary in his favour. Remember in all aspects of shooting an intruder you have to be able to justify it, the first one being you actually seen an intruder, which he didn't.

Murder or Manslaughter, he's got to do one of them. I'm leading slightly towards murder anyway. We don't all get up and shoot our wives/gf's when we know they're present do we?

Chris 21-11-2013 18:06

I don't know, this is South African law we're talking about here. Do you have particular knowledge of what the available defence arguments are?

Mr Angry 21-11-2013 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35647744)
We don't all get up and shoot our wives/gf's when we know they're present do we?

How would you go about shooting them when they're not present?

adzii_nufc 21-11-2013 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35647750)
How would you go about shooting them when they're not present?

Not sure about shooting them but O.J. Simpson could probably lead you in the right direction.

I have little knowledge on SA law by the way. All of the above was based on our law and well a bit of common sense really.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35647745)
I don't know, this is South African law we're talking about here. Do you have particular knowledge of what the available defence arguments are?

With little knowledge of SA law I'd say shooting through a door without first calling out for a response from the person he knew was present would be murder. Manslaughter or completely being let off if SA law allows you to shoot intruders without reasonable evidence.

Again we have little information on what SA counts as evidence towards an intruder being present. If you're allowed to shoot people without even making a call out then this case will go on forever. It'll likely be guesswork by the Jury, you either believe him or you don't.

Defence can argue, Stress, the intruder story if SA law says it's perfectly normal to blast through doors without having a good reason to do so. With his defence actually arguing that case it seems certain they're hopeful of Manslaughter or nothing at all.

Quote:

The attacker does not necessarily have to be carrying a weapon: if you fear injury or death, you can use the most extreme means, including killing the assailant.
There is no balancing of weapons. If, for example, the attacker is carrying a knife and his target happens to have a firearm, the intended victim would be entitled to shoot that person dead.
South African law also states that you can defend somebody else if there is a possibility of serious injury or death. You are entitled to intervene and even kill the attacker. You do not have to be in a family or any other kind of relationship to the victim.
If somebody breaks into your house, you are entitled to kill that person under certain circumstances. If the burglar runs away and you kill that person anyway, you could be exceeding the bounds of self-defence. If, however, you are faced with a situation where you fear for your life or safety, you would be entitled to kill the intruder.
South African courts understand that these scenarios happen very quickly, usually at night. A householder cannot sit down and decide objectively exactly what should be done. You could reasonably expect any intruder to be armed and capable of doing you harm. The courts tend to accept a broad definition of self-defence.
Naturally there's only the major bits that link to this case but little on actually identifying an intruder. It's clear now the courts must decide if he could even have shot an actual intruder in the manner he did. Basically I believe he exceeded the bounds of self defence. He was under no harm at any time. He had no reasonable proof of an intruder in his home and he knew his partner was present. He made no attempt to distinguish the identity of the alleged intruder in this case when another person he knew was present.

This part of the case will be the bit that separates him from going free or serving for the very least a sentence for manslaughter.

Based on my posts, what are all your views on it? Murder, Manslaughter or getting let off scot free?

Gary L 09-04-2014 18:50

Getting a bit fed up of listening to him talking like a little boy who's in trouble for something.
he just sounds like he's playing the sympathy game. if he really didn't do it. then he should be talking normal. he should be angry when someone says that he did do it.

not "I don't want to look. I want to say how upset I am. listen to my voice. I even talk like this when I go home."

Mr Angry 09-04-2014 20:43

The fact is he "did do it".

The issue is "why".

martyh 09-04-2014 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35687427)
Getting a bit fed up of listening to him talking like a little boy who's in trouble for something.
he just sounds like he's playing the sympathy game. if he really didn't do it. then he should be talking normal. he should be angry when someone says that he did do it.

not "I don't want to look. I want to say how upset I am. listen to my voice. I even talk like this when I go home."

He's never denied doing it