Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Stopping smoking support. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33655886)

Sirius 12-09-2010 10:47

Re: Stopping smoking support.

To all giving up, Well done and keep at it, you will feel so much better for it and will be able to hold you head high and be able to say " I beat my smoking addiction" .

I have been smoke free for 4 years and know how you all feel at the moment, But trust me it's worth it :tu:

Hugh 12-09-2010 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35089948)
Well done SlackDad, you're on your way. As everyone here has said we're here to support & help in times of need / possible weakness.

QFT.

btw, Mr A, is today or tomorrow your anniversary?

Maggy 12-09-2010 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 35089952)
QFT.

btw, Mr A, is today or tomorrow your anniversary?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35083717-post371.html

Sirius 12-09-2010 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35083717)
I know, it's frightening isn't it.

I only hope that this thread will prove to be as much a catalyst / inspiration to all who read it as it has been for me at times when I may have doubted my own resolve.

Todays stats;

Hello MrAngryGB!

Your Quit Date is: Monday, September 14, 2009 at 12:00:00 AM
Time Smoke-Free: 352 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 17 seconds Cigarettes NOT smoked: 15855
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 1 day, 2 hours
Money Saved: £5,187.60

Sorry Mr A i missed this. :clap:

Well done Sir

SlackDad 12-09-2010 14:53

Thanks to everyone who has posted a message of support - it really, really does help.

Now in the middle of day 3 (from what I've read and through previous experience is what many consider the toughest day of all).

It is horrendously tough. I have three status settings at the moment I reckon. I either have an all consuming craving which needs conscious effort, some kind of action and patience to relieve (these usually occur around the times when I know I would usually have had a cigarette - right now as matter of fact); the second is a constant low level craving like something is missing but is much easier to manage; and lastly I forget about smoking at all which happens when I'm distracted.

I reckon the Champix is taking the edge of the cravings which obviously helps but is no replacement for will power (at least for me).

I'm asking myself when is this going to end; am I going to feel like this forever; will I feel a little bit better tomorrow? The hardest part is knowing that a few puffs on a cigarette will take all this away. At these times I keep reminding myself from the postings on here and the NHS literature I've got that things will get easier and that is helping to keep me going.

I am determined that I will not give in.

joglynne 12-09-2010 15:44

A day at a time SlackDad is all you can do, and sometimes just getting through the next 5 minutes will be enough to spur you on.

You are at that point where your initial resolve is being tested and you could so easily just give in, don't let that imp on your shoulder have it's way, you know you are stronger that that.

Get through to-day and you will have the satisfaction of knowing you have flexed your will power and found it was stronger that you imagined. Tomorrow you can look back on what you have written here and be proud that you didn't give in. :tu:

Mr Angry 12-09-2010 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35090032)
Thanks to everyone who has posted a message of support - it really, really does help.

Now in the middle of day 3 (from what I've read and through previous experience is what many consider the toughest day of all).

It is horrendously tough. I have three status settings at the moment I reckon. I either have an all consuming craving which needs conscious effort, some kind of action and patience to relieve (these usually occur around the times when I know I would usually have had a cigarette - right now as matter of fact); the second is a constant low level craving like something is missing but is much easier to manage; and lastly I forget about smoking at all which happens when I'm distracted.

I reckon the Champix is taking the edge of the cravings which obviously helps but is no replacement for will power (at least for me).

I'm asking myself when is this going to end; am I going to feel like this forever; will I feel a little bit better tomorrow? The hardest part is knowing that a few puffs on a cigarette will take all this away. At these times I keep reminding myself from the postings on here and the NHS literature I've got that things will get easier and that is helping to keep me going.

I am determined that I will not give in.

SlackDad, hang in there mate, trust me it gets easier.

I adopted a repeat / rewind attitude once I'd completed day one.

A groundhog day approach worked for me. I kept reminding myself that I'd completed a day without a cigarette just the day before.

EDIT:

What Jo says is 100%.

My stats up to today.

Hello MrAngryGB!

Time Smoke-Free: 363 days, 7 hours, 7 minutes and 57 seconds Cigarettes NOT smoked: 16348
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 4 days, 21 hours
Money Saved: £5,349.71

Mick Fisher 12-09-2010 21:15

Hi Slackdad

you are experiencing the hardest time and perhaps the hardest day. Get through the first week and it gets easier by the day.

Hang in there Mate. It is worth it.

LondonRoad 12-09-2010 21:45

Keep reminding yourself that it's you that is now in control of that little nicotine b!tch. She's going to try her best to catch you when you're feeling weak so you've got to be strong. As your will stays strong hers will weaken.;) Before you know it she won't even figure in your life any more.

Maggy 14-09-2010 08:14

Happy Anniversary Mr Angry.

For the exceptional help and inspiration that this thread has given to so many it wins a newly minted award.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

I cannot claim the credit.It was joglynne's suggestion.;)

superbiatch 14-09-2010 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35091053)

For the exceptional help and inspiration that this thread has given to so many it wins a newly minted award.

:clap:

Congratulations Mr A! You're an inspiration to others on here :)

Hugh 14-09-2010 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35091053)

Keep up the good work, big man - both the non-smoking and the inspiration to others.....:)

Mr Angry 14-09-2010 12:21

Dear all,

I am truly deeply touched both by the messages of support and with the exceptionally thoughtful award - many thanks jo & Maggy.

I'll not pretend it has been plain sailing (nice pun, eh?) over the last 365 days - there have been times when I almost "cracked" but thankfully didn't thanks in no small part to the encouragement, help and inspiration I received from others (smokers and non smokers alike) via this thread.

I am indebted to you all, thank you, and I can only hope that the thread will continue to be as much of an encouragement to others to stay the course or make the move.

For those who find the progress updates useful or inspirational here are my one year stats as of today, Tuesday 14th September 2010.

Hello MrAngryGB!

Time Smoke-Free: 365 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 43 seconds Cigarettes NOT smoked: 16435
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 5 days, 13 hours
Money Saved: £5,379.19

WHO'S BETTER THAN YOU TODAY?
You've made it! A whole 12 months without a cigarette! In that time, you've successfully navigated the physical chaos of withdrawal, the emotional highs and lows of early quit, and the pitfalls of relapse!

Countless times you've refused the offered cigs. More times than that you've craved nicotine, but opted for health, instead. You've endured teasing, lack of support, and feeling uncomfortable and out of place among smokers. You may have had issues with weight, anger, tension or sadness, but still you stayed SMOKE-FREE!

You're adjusting to a whole new lifestyle. You're already thinking different thoughts. You've changed habits and routines. You've made new friends and, perhaps, let go of some old ones. You're starting to realize the benefits of living a SMOKE-FREE life. More and more, you see yourself as a non-smoker. We hope you're as proud of you as we are.

And while you've been doing all this for yourself, you've been helping everyone here at the Q: your membership in our community, whether active or passive, has demonstrated an ongoing support of the efforts of all of us. We hope you stay with us as you continue your SMOKE-FREE journey to a fuller, richer, healthier life.

Once again, thank you one and all.

joglynne 14-09-2010 12:59

Well done Mr A, I know it hasn't been easy but you have truly now joined the ranks of the non-smokers.

Enjoy the Bollinger you have certainly earned it and I raise a virtual glass of my own favourite tipple to you in celebration of your efforts and those efforts of all our other members who are following in your footsteps..
...................................https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2010/09/38.gif

Fingy 15-09-2010 09:38

Nice one Mr A!
Hope the Strongbow consumption isn't up too much. ;)

Hugh 15-09-2010 10:28

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingy (Post 35091714)
Nice one Mr A!
Hope the Strongbow consumption isn't up too much. ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/at...4&d=1284542874

SlackDad 15-09-2010 19:06

A big well done Mr A, I hope I will be celebrating my first smoke free anniversary in 51 weeks time :)

Day 6 for me today and I am looking forward to reaching the end of week 1 tomorrow. The last couple of days have been much easier to manage - it is of course very early days and I am in no way letting my guard down but the cravings haven't appeared so intense - in other words they haven't hit me like a freight train. But of course I know they're still there, just lurking and waiting for the right opportunity to strike, which inevitably they will. I've found that changing my routine where possible has possibly been the most useful strategy to avoid the usual triggers and I can plan ahead aware when I think a craving will hit.

It is hard, unfeasibly hard at times giving up, but it just feels so good to not be chained to the smokes, where I would plan my days around fitting them in. I have to remind myself that I don't need to skip off for a fag before a meeting inevitably making me late or I can actually say hello to my kids when getting in from work without having to rush to the back door for a puff.

But as I say, early days and I'm taking each day as it comes pleased in the knowledge that I've got this far.

superbiatch 15-09-2010 19:10

Two things that helped me when i quit was when i found out a craving on average lasts 6 minutes and a habit 21 days to break ;)

Stick with it, you'll be just fine :)

Sirius 15-09-2010 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35091204)
Dear all,

I am truly deeply touched both by the messages of support and with the exceptionally thoughtful award - many thanks jo & Maggy.

I'll not pretend it has been plain sailing (nice pun, eh?) over the last 365 days - there have been times when I almost "cracked" but thankfully didn't thanks in no small part to the encouragement, help and inspiration I received from others (smokers and non smokers alike) via this thread.

I am indebted to you all, thank you, and I can only hope that the thread will continue to be as much of an encouragement to others to stay the course or make the move.

For those who find the progress updates useful or inspirational here are my one year stats as of today, Tuesday 14th September 2010.

Hello MrAngryGB!

Time Smoke-Free: 365 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 43 seconds Cigarettes NOT smoked: 16435
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 5 days, 13 hours
Money Saved: £5,379.19

You've made it! A whole 12 months without a cigarette! In that time, you've successfully navigated the physical chaos of withdrawal, the emotional highs and lows of early quit, and the pitfalls of relapse!

Countless times you've refused the offered cigs. More times than that you've craved nicotine, but opted for health, instead. You've endured teasing, lack of support, and feeling uncomfortable and out of place among smokers. You may have had issues with weight, anger, tension or sadness, but still you stayed SMOKE-FREE!

You're adjusting to a whole new lifestyle. You're already thinking different thoughts. You've changed habits and routines. You've made new friends and, perhaps, let go of some old ones. You're starting to realize the benefits of living a SMOKE-FREE life. More and more, you see yourself as a non-smoker. We hope you're as proud of you as we are.

And while you've been doing all this for yourself, you've been helping everyone here at the Q: your membership in our community, whether active or passive, has demonstrated an ongoing support of the efforts of all of us. We hope you stay with us as you continue your SMOKE-FREE journey to a fuller, richer, healthier life.

Once again, thank you one and all.

:tu: :clap:

Well done Mr A

SlackDad 15-09-2010 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbiatch (Post 35092147)
Two things that helped me when i quit was when i found out a craving on average lasts 6 minutes and a habit 21 days to break ;)

Stick with it, you'll be just fine :)

As far as the cravings go that sounds about right although the half hour ones are a real killer. I'll let you know about the habit breaking when I get to 21 days :)

Maggy 15-09-2010 21:46

The problem is to not replace one habit with another.

I've finally got my husband to cut his chewing gum habit.It was getting to be expensive.:D

Mr Angry 17-09-2010 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35092211)
As far as the cravings go that sounds about right although the half hour ones are a real killer. I'll let you know about the habit breaking when I get to 21 days :)

You're going great mate, well on your way. We're all right behind you and rooting for you.

superbiatch 18-09-2010 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparkRobert (Post 35093468)
..... I was so disgusted with myself, thinking of what I had gone through trying to give up to that point, that I stubbed it out halfway through.

And never looked back eh :)

Congratulations :tu:

How's it going SlackDad??

saabmania2 19-09-2010 21:38

come on slackdad you'll be fine mate, i'm now on 5 weeks since i stopped and haven't looked back, just bought a new bike and i'm hoping to get fit again too, lord i feel so much better since i gave up, i'm not coughing, i can taste my food and best of all i can breath properly again, i had never realised just how bad my breathing was until now it's amazing.

you can do it, you CAN do it, YOU CAN DO IT ;).

SlackDad 20-09-2010 10:45

Hi

Thanks again for all your messages of support. I am now on Day 11 smoke free. It is definitely getting 'easier' but I still don't feel like a non smoker yet if that makes sense. The cravings are at a much lower level - a bit like something's missing rather than anything more intense although they do get stronger on occasion.

I'm now finding that the idea of smoking seems really pleasurable, and this usually occurs when I see cigarettes in a shop or a discarded packet on the floor. I know that the reality is much different and see this as another tactic that part of my brain is using to get me back on the fags.

I am still as determined as ever to stay smoke free for good.

Woolly One 20-09-2010 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35094732)
I am now on Day 11 smoke free. It is definitely getting 'easier' but I still don't feel like a non smoker yet if that makes sense.

Yep - makes sense to me - now on day 22 and trying not to count. As I am coming to the conclusion that counting only makes it worse. Keep up the good work.:)

joglynne 20-09-2010 14:21

@ SlackDad and Wolly One. You guys are really doing well. The will power you are showing is fantastic and you should both be proud that you are hanging in there and not giving in to that inner voice that tries to persuade you that giving up isn't necessary.

It will get easier, you will feel the benefits, you will save money, you will unfortunately put on a little weight as you realise how much better things taste but that can soon be remedied, and finally you will become that non-smoker you want to be.

goblin 21-09-2010 05:55

So I was sat in a hospital bay, the guy next to me was convinced he couldn't give up smoking, there he was complete with oxygen cylinders, he'd just been walking accross his living room one minute then he was down and out after slapping his head on the coffee table. He's going to get someone to move that when he gets back, he would do it himself but he can't lift the bloody oxgen tanks AND the table at once can he?

He says he gets to a certain time and then his craving comes back. They get so strong, I just can't help it. The woman whose listening to all this says, well then you want a cigarette right at that moment, then you have one. Indeed you sit there in your favourite chair, you imagine putting that nice cool looking white cylinder between your lips, you're holding your quivering hands and flick that lighter, gently bring it to the end of the cigarette, draw ... gently, wait for the 'hit' take your time, draw on it some more... then open your mouth and suddenly breathe in!

It's called the 'fake hit' apparently, a technique that you can use to ensure the craving goes away as your body just wants to fulfil in part the memory of what you've done so many times before. But rather than ACTUALLY having a cigarette, lighting it etc you merely go through the actions. The result may not be exactly the same, but whilst you're doing it you're thinking of smoking which means you forget the craving, and your brain thinks its going to get its reward. Only it doesn't which confuses it so it goes on processing other stuff instead. Of course the guy did it in the next bay, but having Emphysema he didn't have the lung capacity. In your case she said, it will remind you not so much about what you're missing, more about how nice it is to breathe without carrying the oxygen cylinders and your neighbours would I'm sure appreciate you not blowing a hole in their wall when your cigarette ignites your oxygen cylinders.

SlackDad 21-09-2010 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolly One (Post 35094784)
Yep - makes sense to me - now on day 22 and trying not to count. As I am coming to the conclusion that counting only makes it worse. Keep up the good work.:)

Keep up the good work Woolly One - are you using any cessation product?

Mr Angry 21-09-2010 22:55

Well done both...keep it up.

SlackDad 23-09-2010 10:49

At 8.00pm tonight it will be 2 whole weeks that I have been smoke free :) I never really believed that I would get this far but a mixture of Champix and determination have seen me through. Looking forward to celebrating a month.

Still getting those pesky morning and after tea in the evening cravings but not giving in!

Maggy 23-09-2010 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35096715)

Still getting those pesky morning and after tea in the evening cravings but not giving in!

Then do something different at those times.Exercises?Running?Cycling.It's not just stopping smoking it's changing routine that helps.

superbiatch 23-09-2010 11:12

Quote:

At 8.00pm tonight it will be 2 whole weeks that I have been smoke free :) I never really believed that I would get this far but a mixture of Champix and determination have seen me through. Looking forward to celebrating a month.

Keep going - you are doing amazingly well :)

glam_racket 23-09-2010 11:40

Well done to all the fellow ex-smokers on this thread, I've been smoke free for 18 months now (thanks to patches and gum). The only regret I have is that I didn't give up sooner.

To anyone suffering cravings, keep strong and stick at it, they do pass with time and then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Saving the money you'd normally spend of cigarettes was a good incentive for me, I was amazed at how quickly it built up, make sure you have something big in mind to spend it on.

SlackDad 23-09-2010 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35096719)
Then do something different at those times.Exercises?Running?Cycling.It's not just stopping smoking it's changing routine that helps.

Completely agree about changing routine and that is my number one tip for any would be quitter. However, there comes a time when no matter what you do or change cravings will still be there lurking. At the moment they are more irritating for me than anything else and it's just a case of not giving in to them - ever!

Mick Fisher 23-09-2010 13:33

Quote:

:clap: :clap:

Waldo Pepper 23-09-2010 15:28

Just started my double tablet intake of Zyban. Still smoking but the effects of nicotinne are floundering. Hope it eventually kills the cravings forever.

Mr Angry 23-09-2010 15:46

Quote:

Rock!! Good job SlackDad - well done.

Stick at it Waldo & Glam.

SlackDad 27-09-2010 11:46

Day 18 today and I must say that I am going through what is probably the second worst period so far.

It's not really the cravings although they are still lurking but the chronic irritability which is driving me crazy! Honestly, I must be driving my family mad over the weekend with the smallest inconvenience making me snap. I know I'm doing it but just can't seem to control it...

It's not helping that I'm not sleeping too well either and am definitely snacking more (on all the wrong things no doubt) but the good news is that I'm still smoke free.

It just goes to show how powerful a grip cigarettes and nicotine have - I know irritability can be a symptom of stopping but thought that would have been more likely in the first few days. What are others experience of weeks 3 and 4?

Woolly One 27-09-2010 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35098931)
It just goes to show how powerful a grip cigarettes and nicotine have - I know irritability can be a symptom of stopping but thought that would have been more likely in the first few days. What are others experience of weeks 3 and 4?

I'm on day 29 now. and TBH the early days were easier than at the mo. I'm at the 'one won't hurt stage'. I've been like that for the past couple of days now - but haven't given in.

It's best to remind yourself why you gave up in the first place and fight the urge.

Well done and keep at your good work.

Maggy 27-09-2010 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35098931)
Day 18 today and I must say that I am going through what is probably the second worst period so far.

It's not really the cravings although they are still lurking but the chronic irritability which is driving me crazy! Honestly, I must be driving my family mad over the weekend with the smallest inconvenience making me snap. I know I'm doing it but just can't seem to control it...

It's not helping that I'm not sleeping too well either and am definitely snacking more (on all the wrong things no doubt) but the good news is that I'm still smoke free.

The irritability lasts for a very long time but I think it's also dependant on character,length of addiction and how much stress you have in your day to day life.

My husband gave up for two years when my children were small.All it took for him to restart was us getting lost in the New Forest on the way to the Brownies camping site my daughter was staying at.

He gave up at the New Year this year and he's still massively irritable several times a week..Mr Grumpy ,Mr Annoyed and Mr Uptight are frequent visitors to our house.I spend a lot of time trying to reduce his particular stressors even though I hate ironing his shirts.:(

Mr Angry is welcome at our house anytime BTW. ;)

Mr Angry 27-09-2010 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35098974)
The irritability lasts for a very long time but I think it's also dependant on character,length of addiction and how much stress you have in your day to day life.

My husband gave up for two years when my children were small.All it took for him to restart was us getting lost in the New Forest on the way to the Brownies camping site my daughter was staying at.

He gave up at the New Year this year and he's still massively irritable several times a week..Mr Grumpy ,Mr Annoyed and Mr Uptight are frequent visitors to our house.I spend a lot of time trying to reduce his particular stressors even though I hate ironing his shirts.:(

Mr Angry is welcome at our house anytime BTW. ;)

Cheers Maggy, that made my day.

SlackDad, as Maggy says the irritability will seem insurmountable at times but as your resolve kicks in it will wane. There will come a time when you will reflect on the previous day, a full 24 hr period, and realize that none of the symptoms / cravings were present in that period.

Those are the times you must build on.

Stick with it my man, we're here for you.

Well done wooly one!! Don't give in to the "One won't hurt" trap. It will. Be strong.

SlackDad 04-10-2010 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35099266)
Cheers Maggy, that made my day.

SlackDad, as Maggy says the irritability will seem insurmountable at times but as your resolve kicks in it will wane. There will come a time when you will reflect on the previous day, a full 24 hr period, and realize that none of the symptoms / cravings were present in that period.

Those are the times you must build on.

Stick with it my man, we're here for you.

Well done wooly one!! Don't give in to the "One won't hurt" trap. It will. Be strong.

Thanks Mr A - really looking forward to that day.

Day 24 for me today and I had quite a tough weekend to be honest – I was irritable especially in the mornings and evenings and had the feeling that a cigarette would have been absolutely blissful – a kind of craving but not the real I’d do anything to have a cigarette kind. It still isn’t easy but still smoke free which is the main thing…

How is it going for fellow CF quitters?

Mr Angry 04-10-2010 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35103125)
Thanks Mr A - really looking forward to that day.

Day 24 for me today and I had quite a tough weekend to be honest – I was irritable especially in the mornings and evenings and had the feeling that a cigarette would have been absolutely blissful – a kind of craving but not the real I’d do anything to have a cigarette kind. It still isn’t easy but still smoke free which is the main thing…

How is it going for fellow CF quitters?

Happy days SlackDad - delighted to hear you're still beating the urges - keep it up.

As SlackDad says - any other updates to be shared?

Here are my latest stats:

Time Smoke-Free: 385 days, 6 hours, 19 minutes and 27 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 17337
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 12 days, 10 hours
Money Saved: £5,673.94

Woolly One 05-10-2010 12:02

I'm now on day 38. Still at that 'one won't hurt stage', but not giving in. :)

joglynne 05-10-2010 13:21

Good to hear you are both still fighting the battle Woolly One and SlackDad. :tu: to you both.

@Mr A. Have you set yourself another target? I guess the next mile stone will be 20,000 cigarettes. That will be ... https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2010/10/36.gif a thousand packets wow.

SlackDad 11-10-2010 08:47

Just celebrated my first month smoke free :). Yes, it felt great and I am proud of myself but,...it's still tough, it's still there but, and this is the biggest but...I'm still determined as ever.

I even dreamed last night that I was smoking...it was very detailed and I was telling myself I would just have one to remind myself why I stopped...but oh how I wanted the cigarette....

What I have learnt is that you really don't know how much of a hold smoking/nicotine has on you until you stop...

Woolly One 11-10-2010 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackDad (Post 35107291)
What I have learnt is that you really don't know how much of a hold smoking/nicotine has on you until you stop...

Ditto that

Great work Slackdad, keep it up.:) It's now 6 weeks for me, after 20 odd years of being on 40(ish) a day, the last 6 weeks have been long. But it's very much a case of reminding yourself why you gave up in the first place. Me it's simple - I don't want to be 'blue lighted' to hospital again.

Mr Angry 19-10-2010 11:36

Well done chaps!!

Here are my latest stats from today;

Time Smoke-Free: 400 days,6 hours, 13 minutes and 47 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 18012
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 17 days, 14 hours
Money Saved: £5,895.00

Keep up the good work one and all!!

Hugh 19-10-2010 13:02

18,000 fags not smoked - that really brings it home!

Well done, that man (and all the other giving up).

joe-1981 19-10-2010 16:47

Giving up the fags was the best thing i ever did. 14 months without and everything is different. I worked to the rule of 3. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years.

It gets easier and a few weeks in you will feel the benefits and you'll turn the corner from wanting a smoke to being repulsed, that lads is a sweet sweet victory.

Stick with it guys and galls its one of the best things you can do

Mr Angry 19-10-2010 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe-1981 (Post 35110863)
Giving up the fags was the best thing i ever did. 14 months without and everything is different. I worked to the rule of 3. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years.

It gets easier and a few weeks in you will feel the benefits and you'll turn the corner from wanting a smoke to being repulsed, that lads is a sweet sweet victory.

Stick with it guys and galls its one of the best things you can do

Good advice there Joe, thank you.

Thanks to you too Hugh (crimeRhyme can eat my shiney metal shorts!).

Hugh 19-10-2010 19:06

Mmmmmm, shiny.............

Woolly One 19-10-2010 19:57

Sorry - but I came 'that close' to breaking after seeing the lowlights of the the defence review. tomorrow's going to be fun?!?

joglynne 19-10-2010 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolly One (Post 35110983)
Sorry - but I came 'that close' to breaking after seeing the lowlights of the the defence review. tomorrow's going to be fun?!?

Get yourself stocked up with some low calorie muchies to guard against the revelations due tomorrow. Smoking a few carrot sticks should help stave off the temptation of a consolation ciggy. :) or maybe that should be a :(

Maggy 26-10-2010 19:30

Well here's another reason to give up smoking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11622484

Quote:

Heavy smokers with a 40-a-day habit face a much higher risk of two common forms of dementia, a large study shows.
The risk of Alzheimer's is more than doubled in people smoking at least two packs of cigarettes a day in their mid-life.
The risk of vascular dementia, linked to problems in blood vessels supplying the brain, also rose significantly.
However..

Quote:

But there was good news for people who had given up by middle-age - their dementia risk 20 years later was no different to those who had never smoked.
So keep up the good work. :tu:

greyposter 31-10-2010 17:43

I gave up on April 11th 2009.I was on 40 per day and aged 62.Blood pressure has dropped but breathing still a bit hard.

Mr Angry 18-11-2010 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyposter (Post 35116079)
I gave up on April 11th 2009.I was on 40 per day and aged 62.Blood pressure has dropped but breathing still a bit hard.

Well done - stick at it greyposter!

Here are my stats from today:
Time Smoke-Free: 430 days, 6 hours, 16 minutes and 38 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 19362
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 27 days, 21 hours
Money Saved: £6,337.12

Any other updates to be had?

Tezcatlipoca 18-11-2010 20:21

Good stuff! :)

I'm one month away from two years :)

Hugh 18-11-2010 20:28

Congrats to you both - your willpower and your lungpower are both increasing....

speedfreak 21-11-2010 17:31

Now on my 3rd week of champix and still smoking :( though not as much

superbiatch 21-11-2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreak (Post 35125427)
Now on my 3rd week of champix and still smoking :( though not as much

Champix isn't a miracle cure speedie, it might not be best suited to you but its still early days. Ideally by now you should have set a quit date where you will not smoke, stick to this and persist when a craving hits - champix will lessen the severity of them anyway.

Also, whoever is supplying it (GP or counsellor) should be reinforcing your motivations to quit. Its just a habit, I bet you aren't even enjoying them now are you?

Don't feel demotivated, remind yourself of your reasons and set a firm date and stick to it like glue. A craving only lasts 6 minutes on average, you can get through it :)

speedfreak 21-11-2010 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbiatch (Post 35125429)
Champix isn't a miracle cure speedie, it might not be best suited to you but its still early days. Ideally by now you should have set a quit date where you will not smoke, stick to this and persist when a craving hits - champix will lessen the severity of them anyway.

Also, whoever is supplying it (GP or counsellor) should be reinforcing your motivations to quit. Its just a habit, I bet you aren't even enjoying them now are you?

Don't feel demotivated, remind yourself of your reasons and set a firm date and stick to it like glue. A craving only lasts 6 minutes on average, you can get through it :)

Thanks, for 2 days I just had a morning smoke, after that I seem to have carried on. The nurse didnt explain it much but after reading the leaflet and you saying the same, it seems to be because I didnt set a quit date. I was expecting to just not want one anymore. I shall set a quit date of tomorrow and see how I go. My Dad some champix because I did, now he's quit and I've not. They do work though, its more of the habit side of it than any craving I think

superbiatch 21-11-2010 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreak (Post 35125430)
Thanks, for 2 days I just had a morning smoke, after that I seem to have carried on. The nurse didnt explain it much but after reading the leaflet and you saying the same, it seems to be because I didnt set a quit date. I was expecting to just not want one anymore. I shall set a quit date of tomorrow and see how I go. My Dad some champix because I did, now he's quit and I've not. They do work though, its more of the habit side of it than any craving I think

Precisely ;)

The nurse hasn't done her job very well IMO, so you need to take control of the habit. Keep your mind occupied and maybe even change your routine. Say you have a coffee and a fag for breakfast before going for a shower - then flip it on its head and do things in the 'wrong' order - before you know it you'll be a few days down the line and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Throw all your smoking stuff out - lighters, ashtrays, odd packets hanging about. And put a tenner in your wallet and see how long its lasts :D

Then after a few days, reward yourself with something - if you need any advice remember i do ann summers' parties and can help as it will be something for you and the mrs (thus winning brownie points lol!)

Good luck hun, stick in there and post here as you know there is lots of support.

joglynne 21-11-2010 18:50

Another good luck wish from me as well speedy. Just use the thread to get your daily dose of support for as long as you need it. :tu:

Peter_ 21-11-2010 18:57

Quote:

You really need to give up as my father only reached 54 when it finally caught up with him and it is not a very nice way to go as it goes everywhere.

Just go and take a look at your son and think that if you give up you will enjoy watching him have your grandchildren, my father saw my daughter for less than 3 months and I know it hurt him more than anything.

We are here to support you so go for it.

budwieser 21-11-2010 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35125460)
You really need to give up as my father only reached 54 when it finally caught up with him and it is not a very nice way to go as it goes everywhere.

Just go and take a look at your son and think that if you give up you will enjoy watching him have your grandchildren, my father saw my daughter for less than 3 months and I know it hurt him more than anything.

We are here to support you so go for it.

Thats a damn good post Masque. Puts my life into perspective a bit more anyway.;)

Peter_ 21-11-2010 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by budwieser (Post 35125469)
Thats a damn good post Masque. Puts my life into perspective a bit more anyway.;)

As my daughter is now 21 you can see what I mean, he never saw her pass her driving test and will not see her in a cap and gown next June/July, just a couple of things he spoke about.

SlackDad 22-11-2010 20:11

Quote:

How's it going speedfreak? Did you stick to your quit date?

This Thursday will be 12 weeks smoke free for me and it also means that I'm coming to the end of my Champix course. I'm pleased to be stopping Champix as although the side effects weren't too bad it did play havoc with my stomach.

Having said this I am slightly anxious to be stopping Champix as it's been my one constant during my quit attempt and as I haven't touched a cigarette since my quit date can only assume that it's worked. I'm a little concerned that I will get big cravings once I stop.

For me, although 3 months smoke free will be a major milestone and achievement, I see this as the just the start of a smoke free life. I still get moments or 'cravings' where the thought of a smoke is wonderful and wonder whether I always will.

My three top tips for those who are quitting or thinking of quitting are:

1. Whatever your reasons for quitting you have to really want to stop and I mean REALLY want to - if you are not determined you will not succeed
2. Where possible and practicable change as many of your pre-quit routines as possible (anything, no matter how little helps - I even changed where I park at work)
3. Accept that you are a nicotine ADDICT and always will be; don't ever underestimate the power of nicotine to refuse to let go. This means that once you stop you can never, ever go back. Not one puff, ever!

And another tip, use this and other sites for support. I find it really valuable to share mine and hear about other people's experiences.

Hugh 22-11-2010 20:13

Well done, SD, for keeping up the good work, and for encouraging others.

joglynne 23-11-2010 12:16

As Hugh says well done SD. I am so pleased for you. :tu:

If you ever get the chance have a whiff of an ashtray, I remember being in the position you are now, knowing that I could never allow myself to get suckered into ever smoking another cigarette, but still being surrounded by smokers (this was several centuries ago :D) and if anything convinced me to stay tobacco free it was the smell of stale cigarettes in a overflowing ashtray. Or you could get up close to a smoker and take a good sniff of their clothes but that may earn you some strange looks so I had better not advocate that as a reinforcement of the joys of being smoke free. :D

Peter_ 23-11-2010 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35126469)
As Hugh says well done SD. I am so pleased for you. :tu:

If you ever get the chance have a whiff of an ashtray, I remember being in the position you are now, knowing that I could never allow myself to get suckered into ever smoking another cigarette, but still being surrounded by smokers (this was several centuries ago :D) and if anything convinced me to stay tobacco free it was the smell of stale cigarettes in a overflowing ashtray. Or you could get up close to a smoker and take a good sniff of their clothes but that may earn you some strange looks so I had better not advocate that as a reinforcement of the joys of being smoke free. :D

Just walking past a heavy smoker in a supermarket is bad enough as they reek of stale tobacco.:erm:

Angel_LAN 24-11-2010 11:46

The book "Easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Karr helped me to stop smoking.

Will21st 30-11-2010 22:08

Well done everyone for sticking with it!:)

To all champix users: I regard it as a miracle drug.I am still quit after 14 months,and several quit attempts before that.The most amazing thing to me is that I don't feel like an ex-smoker,but a non-smoker! I feel like I never smoked in my life! :shocked:
Only thing is I suffered pretty bad depression since I stopped,but I'm :Dhappy to report I have moved house,changed my diet,lost 20 pounds and am depressed no more!! :D

I Feel Great about myself and life again and sod the bloody death-sticks :td:

Everyone keep on truckin',for we can do this!

joglynne 01-12-2010 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35130237)
Well done everyone for sticking with it!:)

To all champix users: I regard it as a miracle drug.I am still quit after 14 months,and several quit attempts before that.The most amazing thing to me is that I don't feel like an ex-smoker,but a non-smoker! I feel like I never smoked in my life! :shocked:
Only thing is I suffered pretty bad depression since I stopped,but I'm :Dhappy to report I have moved house,changed my diet,lost 20 pounds and am depressed no more!! :D

I Feel Great about myself and life again and sod the bloody death-sticks :td:

Everyone keep on truckin',for we can do this!

Well done Will, I am sure your experiences will reassure any member struggling to give up the weed that there are members who have been through what they are experiencing and come out the other side with no regrets. :)

Mr Angry 04-12-2010 12:12

Hello all, just checking in.

Time Smoke-Free: 446 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes and 37 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 20083
Lifetime Saved: 5 months, 3 days, 9 hours
Money Saved: £6,572.92

How is everyone else keeping / doing?

I'm conscious that we're coming up to that "resolution" time of year so if anyone is looking for support or advice feel free to post.

joglynne 04-12-2010 13:23

Wow Mr A that's over 1000 packets of cigarettes. You have done so well. [img]Download Failed (1)[/img] I wish I could work out how much money I have saved over the years it would be interesting to know. I think a 20 packet had reached the giddy heights of about £1 at the time I had my last cigarette 26 years ago and I was buying two packs a day.

I'm looking forward to hearing how all our other members who are fighting the weed are going on. Don't forget that someone is sure to be around to support you on the thread if you find that all the festive fun is tempting you to to relax your guard.

On a practical note if anyone does fall for the temptation and lights up, one cigarette is not the end of the world, as long as you don't let it lead to a second and a third all is not lost.

Remember no ones perfect, well maybe Mr A gets close for starting the ball rolling http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...oticons_11.gif but the reasons you wanted to give up are still there so just sort yourself out and put your lapse down to experience and don't fall into the complacency trap again.

Hugh 04-12-2010 13:53

Over 20k ciggies not smoked - that's a lot of coffin nails!

Well done, that man - keep up the good work, and your little boat will be along soon, I'm sure.

Will21st 07-12-2010 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35132446)
Hello all, just checking in.

Time Smoke-Free: 446 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes and 37 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 20083
Lifetime Saved: 5 months, 3 days, 9 hours
Money Saved: £6,572.92

How is everyone else keeping / doing?

I'm conscious that we're coming up to that "resolution" time of year so if anyone is looking for support or advice feel free to post.

Can't believe how well you are doing.... :angel:
Just imagine all those fags in a big pile,or all that tar in your lungs!!:shocked:

Well done Sir,keep it up! :tu::clap:

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35132490)
Wow Mr A that's over 1000 packets of cigarettes. You have done so well. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...oticons_18.gif I wish I could work out how much money I have saved over the years it would be interesting to know. I think a 20 packet had reached the giddy heights of about £1 at the time I had my last cigarette 26 years ago second and a third all is not lost.

Remember no ones perfect, well maybe Mr A gets close for starting the ball

On Quitnet you could enter your quit date from 26 years ago and then you would fall of your chair! :D
What you said about lapsing is so true.From my experience addicts quit twice!

The first time because they HAVE to... (health,money,guilt etc.)
Second time cause they want to...

Whenever I lapsed in the past it was to see what I had left behind,and to make sure I still didn't want it. Lapsing is ok,relapsing means you gotta work harder on yourself!

SlackDad 21-12-2010 07:29

Merry Christmas and a healthier - and a bit wealthier New Year - to all fellow quitters and potential quitters.

Thanks for all the supportive comments from those on CF - it really does make a difference.

(3.5 months for me - still tough at times but sense of achievement is definitely worth every minute)

Maggy 21-12-2010 07:58

My husband stopped last January and as far as I'm aware hasn't succumbed since but he still has the pain in his leg to remind him from time to time what the consequences could be.

Well done to all those who have won,Keep Going to those still struggling and Good Luck to those who are about to take the first step.

I'm hoping we can help to stop anyone else facing the same consequences of years of smoking.

To those who have fallen by the wayside 'It's Not Too Late' to try again..You can do it if you just take heart and remind yourself that anyone can fall but it's only a small bump in the road and you can climb back into the saddle. :tu:

fiona2 22-12-2010 10:25

Has anyone heard about about Acomplia pills? They say it's an excellent remedy to lose weight and stop smoking at the same time .... Any experiences with it?

Stuart 22-12-2010 11:37

No, but I suspect your friend will be along soon to give his/her opinion.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

Having said that, doing a bit of Googling, it seems it it might work if you can accept the associated Psychiatric problems.

Tezcatlipoca 22-12-2010 13:07

I hit the two-year mark last week :)

LondonRoad 22-12-2010 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35141655)
I hit the two-year mark last week :)

poor Mark. He may seek his revenge when he's bigger. :D

Woolly One 31-12-2010 16:30

Well it's 31/12, I now haven't smoked since 29/08 of this year. I've now given up counting the days, weeks, money and lifespan saved.

Can I wish everyone that has quit this year, or is thinking of quitting next year. All the best in fighting the cravings, and remember that there is no such thing as 'one cig'.

Have a good New Year - even the smokers amongst us.:)

superbiatch 31-12-2010 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiona2 (Post 35141539)
Has anyone heard about about Acomplia pills? They say it's an excellent remedy to lose weight and stop smoking at the same time .... Any experiences with it?

I know this person is banned, but i would like to point out that these drugs are not to be used to quit smoking - although they work in a very similar way to Champix anyway - which is widely available.

Acomplia were withdrawn from the market in 2008.

Oh and Happy New Year to all you successful quitters, be prepared for tests of your willpower this evening ;)

saabmania2 01-01-2011 07:26

Hello Everyone,
Happy new year to you all:) sorry i haven't been around for while but i work away so cannot get online all that often.
anyway i'm still off the dredded weed since the 2nd week sept and not missing it at all, in fact this year was the first year for quite a few that i didn't have to use a credit card for the xmas presents so i'm happy :D

keep up the good work everyone and for anyone that is thinking of giving up for new year do it now and the help and support you need is here good luck

Maggy 01-01-2011 11:51

I hope everyone is keeping up with this one resolution and to anyone contemplating this decision ,go for it as you can only be a winner if you do so.

tosh mate 03-01-2011 01:31

My quiting is failing miserably :( due to a stressful time :(

Maggy 03-01-2011 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosh mate (Post 35146531)
My quiting is failing miserably :( due to a stressful time :(

Well there is no shame in falling off the wagon,it happens to everyone at some time.The main thing is to get back on when you are ready and to do it as quickly as possible.
Maybe you should look for another non addictive means of dealing with stress that you can substitute for the smoking. ;) My husband uses sugar free chewing gum and it seems to work as a stress reliever.

tosh mate 03-01-2011 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35146558)
Well there is no shame in falling off the wagon,it happens to everyone at some time.The main thing is to get back on when you are ready and to do it as quickly as possible.
Maybe you should look for another non addictive means of dealing with stress that you can substitute for the smoking. ;) My husband uses sugar free chewing gum and it seems to work as a stress reliever.

Thank You for the support Maggy J :)

joglynne 07-01-2011 15:42

OK, everybody should be getting back to a more normal routine now that the holidays are over so how are all our quitters getting on and how did did you cope over the last couple of weeks?

If you did succumb to the dreaded weed let us all help you get back on track don't just give up without a fight. Those of us who have been able to stay smoke free do know how hard it is and I for one failed a couple of times before I finally achieved my aim to be a non-smoker.

Jimmy-J 16-01-2011 02:04

Quote:

Smoking damages the body in minutes rather than years, according to research in the US.

The report, published in Chemical Research in Toxicology, shows that chemicals which cause cancer form rapidly after smoking.

Scientists involved in the small-scale study described the results as a stark warning to people considering smoking.

Anti-smoking charity Ash described the research as "chilling" and as a warning that it's never too early to quit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12193602

Bulky 16-01-2011 08:09

Gave up again on the 4th jan , smoked from age 16 to about 26 gave up for 5 years then started again :( . I'm not one of these people who gave up smoking and then hated it it's something I enjoy doing. Anyway day 13 without a ciggy and the habit is starting to break .... Not sure whether I'm going to get addicted to these nicotine mints though :) ?

Hugh 16-01-2011 10:12

Keep up the good work, Bulky - you know it makes sense....

joglynne 16-01-2011 10:28

Well done Bulky. I was the same as you and enjoyed smoking and all the rituals it included. It took me a couple of tries to get to the point where I am now a complete non-smoker. The first time I gave up it lasted for 5 years then smoking one cigarette in a moment of insanity made me fell a total failure so it was a few years before I tried again.

Keep trying, you know we are all here to encourage you, a lot of us have been in the same position so we do understand what you are going through and if you really do want to give up you will succeed in the end. :hugs:

Tezcatlipoca 16-01-2011 12:40

Good work Bulky, keep it up :)

Bulky 16-01-2011 14:24

Yeah I'm doing ok , have serious moments of irritability though and at times lose my temper at the drop of a hat :( .... Driving my wife up the wall .

Jimmy-J 16-01-2011 15:53

When I gave up smoking, 11 years ago now, I got hooked on Polo mints. If you're substituting smoking for mints like I did, just make sure they're sugar free. The addiction to them wont last long. :)