Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

nashmills 24-08-2014 20:04

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Is anyone able to get Netflix in HD via their tivo box? I'm sure I used to get HD when it first started but the best I get now is 480 SD.

harry_hitch 24-08-2014 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashmills (Post 35723957)
Is anyone able to get Netflix in HD via their tivo box? I'm sure I used to get HD when it first started but the best I get now is 480 SD.

I think it depends whether the program is able to be streamed in HD. If it is able to be streamed in HD and it is not reaching HD then I think too many people will be watching Netflix and the network will be too busy for it to be able to stream in it HD.

Happy to be corrected by those more intelligent than meself.

vincerooney 25-08-2014 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35723985)
I think it depends whether the program is able to be streamed in HD. If it is able to be streamed in HD and it is not reaching HD then I think too many people will be watching Netflix and the network will be too busy for it to be able to stream in it HD.

Sounds about right pal. Isn't there an extra charge for HD as well? Its 5.99 for one box and SD and 6.99 for multi boxes and HD? or is that completely wrong??

spiderplant 25-08-2014 11:40

Quote:

It's likely to be caused by network congestion in your area. There's an ongoing programme of work to alleviate these local issues.

Do you get HD if you try outside peak hours?

theone2k10 25-08-2014 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35724010)
Sounds about right pal. Isn't there an extra charge for HD as well? Its 5.99 for one box and SD and 6.99 for multi boxes and HD? or is that completely wrong??

I think those are the new prices vince £5.99 for sd, £6.99 for 2 devices at once and HD and £8.99 for upto 4 devices at once and HD.
I might be wrong though as i'm on £5.99 for hd and 2 devices at once until 2016 due to already having a sub when the new prices came into effect.

howardmicks 25-08-2014 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35723985)

I have actually stopped watching Netflix thru my TiVo due to this problem find I get hd all time thru my ps3

nashmills 25-08-2014 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35724014)
It's likely to be caused by network congestion in your area. There's an ongoing programme of work to alleviate these local issues.

Do you get HD if you try outside peak hours?

I have tried it at different times and it's still the same.

I get a much better picture on my Apple TV but I would like to enjoy the extra quality that Dolby Digital Plus audio brings to the TiVo.

I have a Chromecast which gives me DD+ audio and HD picture but to use it I have to unplug the Apple TV which is used for other things.

I assume the internal 10Mb modem can't cope?

ozsat 25-08-2014 17:54

Working fine here - after a minute the definition is to "1080 Super HD"

I would get your signal levels for TiVo checked.
Quote:

OLD BOY 25-08-2014 17:58

Quote:

Yes, I'm very pleased with the performance of Netflix on my TiVo. Much better than the BBC I-player, although touch wood, this has been better lately. If I were you, I'd tell Customer Services about this problem. They might just be able to sort it.

passingbat 25-08-2014 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashmills (Post 35724107)
. I get a much better picture on my Apple TV but I would like to enjoy the extra quality that Dolby Digital Plus audio brings to the TiVo.

Apple TV should give standard 5.1 DD. Personally, I would be surprised if you could tell any significant difference between that and DD+.

The main reason that streaming services use DD+ is that they can lower the bit rate to get the same audio quality as regular DD (and, also, 7.1 is possible with DD+).

It is possible that the servers that Netflix use to feed the Apple TV's is sending the regular DD at a higher bitrate than they send DD+ to for other devices, as Netflix produce about 99 different encodes for any given title to accommodate different devices and resolutions.

nashmills 25-08-2014 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35724128)
Apple TV should give standard 5.1 DD. Personally, I would be surprised if you could tell any significant difference between that and DD+.

The main reason that streaming services use DD+ is that they can lower the bit rate to get the same audio quality as regular DD (and, also, 7.1 is possible with DD+).

It is possible that the servers that Netflix use to feed the Apple TV's is sending the regular DD at a higher bitrate than they send DD+ to for other devices, as Netflix produce about 99 different encodes for any given title to accommodate different devices and resolutions.

It does appear to sound better but maybe it's just different.

zantarous 26-08-2014 19:40

It sounds better, DD+ is a much more efficient codec for streaming then DD and the bit rate can be a lot higher.

passingbat 27-08-2014 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35724422)
It sounds better, DD+ is a much more efficient codec for streaming then DD and the bit rate can be a lot higher.

But that isn't what happens in reality; I think you will find that Netflix have reduced the audio bitrate (can't find the source I read for that ATM). That is, they've used the efficiency of the DD+ codec to reduce file size rather than improve audio quality.

And, as I said, the stream that Netflix use to feed the Apple TV could use an equivalent quality regular DD stream to the streams sent to DD+ devices. So just because the Apple TV gets DD rather than DD+, it does not follow that it doesn't sound as good.

zantarous 27-08-2014 15:38

Reducing file size doesn't necessarily mean that the quality has been redunced, flac reduces file size but is bit for bit copy of the original, MPEG4 produces file sizes that are smaller then MPEG2 but the quality is far superior. I don't know if they are reducing the file size but the DD+ mixes through my AV amp sound better then the normal DD ones.

passingbat 27-08-2014 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35724635)
the DD+ mixes through my AV amp sound better then the normal DD ones.

Using the same AV amp and speakers, are you able to compare the same Netflix title via an Apple TV giving 5.1 DD and another similar Netflix device that outputs 5.1 DD+? That is the only way to properly compare.

it would be interesting to know the result, because given that Netflix feed the Apple TV different streams to those used on other Netflix DD+ capable devices, I can see no reason why Netflix can't enable the same sound quality. Otherwise, I imagine there would be a lot disgruntled Apple TV users if Netflix audio quality for them was inferior to other Netflix devices.