Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Linear is old tech - on demand is the future (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705051)

OLD BOY 18-03-2019 14:39

Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987289)
It also allows the Premier League to hold the streaming bogey man over Sky/BT in the next round. It has been hugely embarrassing for the league that Sky correctly guessed no such bidders existed and won better rights for less money.

Yes, Sky knows very well the current state of play regarding the UK's rollout of broadband. What is not of great interest now may be something worth fighting over in the future.

jfman 18-03-2019 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987311)
Yes, Sky knows very well the current state of play regarding the UK's rollout of broadband. What is not of great interest now may be something worth fighting over in the future.

Is broadband really a deal breaker? How many million homes have insufficient bandwidth to view Netflix or Amazon?

I’m not convinced the business model is going to be made or broken from that number.

pip08456 18-03-2019 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987311)

They certainly do, so much so they refuse to sell FTTP to their customers in areas where it's available.

muppetman11 18-03-2019 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35987318)
They certainly do, so much so they refuse to sell FTTP to their customers in areas where it's available.

Sky have announced plans to sell G.fast and FTTP not sure of the ETA.

OLD BOY 18-03-2019 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987315)
Is broadband really a deal breaker? How many million homes have insufficient bandwidth to view Netflix or Amazon?

I’m not convinced the business model is going to be made or broken from that number.

And yet you say that Amazon could not make it pay even with the number of Sky Sports subscribers.

Clearly it does matter, as does having sufficient bandwidth and reliable broadband. If Amazon did win the Sky or BT share of the Premiership rights, they would not want to be inundated with complaints about blocking, stuttering and the like, with all the bad publicity that would generate.

This is why I linked my suggestion that Amazon or one of the other global streamers might make a serious bid next time around, provided that the broadband infrastructure we have been promised is largely in place by then.

jfman 18-03-2019 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987340)
And yet you say that Amazon could not make it pay even with the number of Sky Sports subscribers.

Clearly it does matter, as does having sufficient bandwidth and reliable broadband. If Amazon did win the Sky or BT share of the Premiership rights, they would not want to be inundated with complaints about blocking, stuttering and the like, with all the bad publicity that would generate.

This is why I linked my suggestion that Amazon or one of the other global streamers might make a serious bid next time around, provided that the broadband infrastructure we have been promised is largely in place by then.

The sums don’t add up either way, but what percentage of households lack sufficient broadband to run Netflix or Amazon Prime? 5%?

The numbers are precarious if those interested in the product who fall within that subset make or break viability.

There’s also other options - like leasing satellite space or doing a deal with Virgin in the interim.

Horizon 18-03-2019 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987340)

Perhaps we might get a answer from the States first before anything happens here with regards to whether the tech giants are serious about sports. If they bid for major sports rights over there, they'll do the same here next.

alwaysabear 18-03-2019 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987394)
Perhaps we might get a answer from the States first before anything happens here with regards to whether the tech giants are serious about sports. If they bid for major sports rights over there, they'll do the same here next.

They have a long wait before they can even bid, NFL rights don't come up until 2022, NBA 2024-25 and NLB 2021. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadg.../#217917ff3bba
Verizon does have rights at the moment to stream on mobile devices.

OLD BOY 18-03-2019 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35987394)

This is the current position.

https://www.reviews.com/tv-streaming-service/sports/

I particularly liked:

Month-to-month contracts

One of the biggest appeals of live TV streaming is that you’re not locked into a long contract. Some cable companies will charge as much as $200 if you want to get out of your contract early. By contrast, all of the streaming services we tested operate on a month-to-month basis. You can stop at any time, with no early termination penalty.

muppetman11 18-03-2019 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987421)

I particularly liked:

[I]Month-to-month contracts

One of the biggest appeals of live TV streaming is that you’re not locked into a long contract. Some cable companies will charge as much as $200 if you want to get out of your contract early. By contrast, all of the streaming services we tested operate on a month-to-month basis. You can stop at any time, with no early termination penalty.[/I]

They are services that carry linear channels over broadband , I'm not sure of the similarity.

Raider999 18-03-2019 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987421)

I particularly liked:

Month-to-month contracts

One of the biggest appeals of live TV streaming is that you’re not locked into a long contract. Some cable companies will charge as much as $200 if you want to get out of your contract early. By contrast, all of the streaming services we tested operate on a month-to-month basis. You can stop at any time, with no early termination penalty.

Presumably you don't get a refund if you cancel 7 days into your month?

So it's the same, you are tied into a contract - just for a shorter period.

jfman 19-03-2019 04:20

Now TV are doing a 9 month sports pass for £195 so a little under £22 a month. It’d be good to see (although we probably won’t) what the interest levels are for it. A well timed activation would cover 97% of the football season.

OLD BOY 19-03-2019 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35987465)
Presumably you don't get a refund if you cancel 7 days into your month?

So it's the same, you are tied into a contract - just for a shorter period.

There's a lot of difference between a month and a year, old bean.

jfman 19-03-2019 08:01

Are premium channels on Virgin/Sky not 1 month commitments?

denphone 19-03-2019 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987487)
Are premium channels on Virgin/Sky not 1 month commitments?

Of course they are..