Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

OLD BOY 15-03-2013 12:37

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35548517)
looks like bt wont be coming to virgin judging by that. Seems bt insisting on buying direct through them to stop sky making profit on it or undercutting

That would be the wrong conclusion to draw.

BT said 'We will offer BT Sport on Virgin Media if it makes commercial sense to do so.' Notice that they said 'on Virgin Media' and not 'to Virgin Media'. BT have made very clear they want to get on as many platforms as possible and all they are doing here is recognising that nothing is in the bag until contracts are signed. However, there will be a certain minimum price level beyond which clearly it would not be commercially viable for BT to offer it.

We will definitely get the BT Sports channels unless VM choose not to offer them on their platform. That would be a commercially ridiculous decision for them to make and I don't believe for one moment they will go down that route. Clearly, they would lose a significant number of customers if they did so.

Given the likely price BT will be charging and the fact that VM might try its best to have a similar arrangement as for ESPN, these negotiations may drag on a bit so don't expect to hear anything concrete until much nearer the transmission date. Don't forget, they are trying to get the best deal for you, and this takes time.

alwaysabear 15-03-2013 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35548530)
If BT Sports - all channels - comes to VM in both sd & hd form I feel it will be nearer £15 a month - It could also include all the BoxNation boxing depending on a announcemant being made by Frank Warren later today...

That would make the BT pack better value for money for boxing fans who already pay £10 I think. The rest of us would still probably have to choose between Sky and BT at the £15 a month price.

Jameseh 16-03-2013 01:22

Guessing nought happened?

Arthurgray50@blu 16-03-2013 21:44

I wouldn't mind paying £5.00 per month, if it was FOUR channels, l believe it is going to be three BT Sports channels, plus Box Nation.

Thats only £1.25 per month per channel - not bad.

Dave42 16-03-2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35549284)
I wouldn't mind paying £5.00 per month, if it was FOUR channels, l believe it is going to be three BT Sports channels, plus Box Nation.

Thats only £1.25 per month per channel - not bad.

cant see it being that low Arthur be double at least

Chad 16-03-2013 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35548845)
Guessing nought happened?

The Boxnation announcement, whatever it will be, has been pushed back until Monday.

denphone 17-03-2013 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35549289)
The Boxnation announcement, whatever it will be, has been pushed back until Monday.

We await with anticipation.

Gavin-D 18-03-2013 15:27

BT Sport solo sales pitch could make it costly to Sky customers

Quote:

BT will sell its Sports channels directly to Sky customers this Summer instead of bundling them via Sky like ESPN - potentially making it an expensive addition.

Customers will be able to choose an HD or standard-definition subscription to the package of at least three BT Sport and ESPN channels, by calling BT direct.

There’s no deal confirmed for Virgin Media yet, according to the BT Sport website, but if one goes through, BT Sport will join a TV package because Virgin doesn’t allow direct sales by third-party channels

A notice on BT Sport’s website reads: “We are setting up channels on the Sky platform, so that Sky customers will be easily able to receive BT Sport in standard and high definition, by calling us. You therefore won’t buy the channel from Sky, but directly from BT.

“BT will sell BT Sport directly to customers. The channel will feature on the Sky TV guide, but you’ll have to call a number and speak directly to BT to get the channel.”

The independent sales pitch also means BT Sport will be available to anyone with a working Sky box and dish, even if they don’t have a Sky subscription.

However, it could cost Sky Sports subscribers dearly as Sky won't be able to combine both packages together in a more attractive bundle as they do with ESPN.

BT has promised to make its sports channels - which will show Barclaycard Premier League, English FA Cup and Aviva Rugby Premiership games - available on YouView and Freeview as well as its own BT Vision service.
http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-s...rs_M11312.html

denphone 18-03-2013 15:35

It also makes me think that like the ESPN deal in 2009 BT Sports will be cheaper to get if you are on Virgin's platform.

Dave42 18-03-2013 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35549956)
It also makes me think that like the ESPN deal in 2009 BT Sports will be cheaper to get if you are on Virgin's platform.

we have to see if we can get it first Den

johnasimmons 18-03-2013 15:41

It also makes me think that VM might not have BT Sports when it starts :(

Media Boy UK 18-03-2013 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35549956)

Hope so but I think BT Sports will only appear on Virgin as part of 'The BT Sports Package' on an 'Pay as you go deal' like Sky Sports and Sky Movies.

With Virgin making (let say) 50p the head with the rest going to BT.

denphone 18-03-2013 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35549959)
we have to see if we can get it first Den

My strong hunch is that we will get it.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35549960)
It also makes me think that VM might not have BT Sports when it starts :(

l cannot see that scenario John.

johnasimmons 18-03-2013 15:43

Or something like BoxNation MB?

Media Boy UK 18-03-2013 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35549289)

Any update from CF Boxing reporter Chad on the Boxnation announcement?