Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Microsoft Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Xbox One Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33693514)

Damien 11-06-2013 12:04

Re: The Xbox One Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35582605)
Yes if MS got rid of the restrictions and the games quality was as good as the PS4 if there was a difference, then i would get an X1.

However i can't see them doing that.

Yeah all things being equal I would stick with what I know. I never took to the PS3 is this generation, didn't like the menus or the controller. I could even deal with the price being higher but not the restrictions as well. If I have a disc I should be able to play the game, I don't want to worry about activations, fees, friends list or any of that stuff.

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 14:01

Regarding publishers preferring the Xbox One because of the DRM... If both consoles cost the same, then maybe.

But what will really matter to them is how big each install base is...and given the clear difference in price I would expect the PS4 to end up in more homes, which will make it more attractive to the publishers regardless of the lack of MS-style DRM. The DRM issue will also make it more attractive to gamers, adding to the price factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35582554)
Wondering to myself how many out there will eventually fork out for BOTH? ;)

Me... I did this generation, and I will do for the next one. Each platform has exclusive games I want to play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35582596)
Has anyone changed their view of which console they want now?

Yup.

I currently have an Xbox One pre-ordered.

When I get home, I'm going to cancel that pre-order and place one for a PS4 instead.

£80 cheaper, more powerful (faster RAM plus double the GPU cores), more games, no always-online restrictions, no game re-sale restrictions, region free for games.

I will get an Xbox One eventually, as e.g. I want to play Halo 5 plus also Titanfall looks interesting... But neither of those games are out this year and there is no way I'm dropping 800 quid on two consoles in one hit.

This will be a reverse of the current generation, where I got a 360 at launch and waited until the PS3 was cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35582597)
Nope, i still want the Xbox One. Only £36 more than PS4 :)

Not really.

The PS4 does not require the camera, unlike the Xbox One, so you can't really use the price of a PS4+camera to make the gap seem smaller.

PS4 = £349, Xbox One = £429.

Clear difference of £80.

Damien 11-06-2013 14:13

Yeah I don't care about the camera. I don't play those kinds of games anyway and nor do I like speaking to computers.

Also PS4 looks like it will have more indie games on it given their support for them, even having them on stage at E3, compared to MS will seem to be stamping on them.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/43...nd-indie-games

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-one-microsoft

Microsoft have to change this.

Quote:

You don't really own those games you bought on disc, even though you're holding them in your hands. You are merely playing them at Microsoft's pleasure, and if Microsoft should revoke its benevolence, then all you have is a set of very expensive coasters.

Tom Bramwell of Eurogamer has called these policies "devastating for consumer rights", adding that Microsoft has "sacrificed our freedom to own and trade games for no other reason than corporate self-interest".

Stephen 11-06-2013 14:52

Why do they need to change it. Hasn't PC spftware and games always been the same. You are paying for a licence to use the product, not actually own it outright.

Why the problems with MS DRM, if you have ever bought from Steam/Origin then its exactly the same situation.

THe always connected thing doesn't bother me at all as my 360 and PS3 are already always online.

The One has a lot more games that interest me too but I will get the PS4 as well due to the exclusives it has.

Also the two consoles don't look all that different really.

If the kinect wasn't required then am sure the console would have been about the same price as the PS4.

nstokes 11-06-2013 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35582673)
Why do they need to change it. Hasn't PC spftware and games always been the same. You are paying for a licence to use the product, not actually own it outright.

Why the problems with MS DRM, if you have ever bought from Steam/Origin then its exactly the same situation.

THe always connected thing doesn't bother me at all as my 360 and PS3 are already always online.

The One has a lot more games that interest me too but I will get the PS4 as well due to the exclusives it has.

Also the two consoles don't look all that different really.

If the kinect wasn't required then am sure the console would have been about the same price as the PS4.

That is well said and my thoughts exactly. I cant understand why people are making a big deal with the DRM thing. Its the same as Stream etc. The conenct to MS once every 24 hours doesnt bother me but i can see why people are upset buy it

Damien 11-06-2013 15:16

Quote:

Because this isn't the PC. It's a console. People have always had this mindset with physical media and consoles and you can look at the negative reception it's received to see what people think about it being taken away from them. The simplicity of the disk approach has always been one of the key elements of console gaming over PC. Now they can get it elsewhere and at a cheaper price point too.

Quote:

Yeah but not everyone lives in that kind in environment. Another worry is if your internet is out at the precise moment you want to game or if their servers go down.

Quote:

If Blu-ray wasn't part of the PS3 it would have been cheaper too but it wasn't and the PS3 struggled for years.

Uncle Peter 11-06-2013 15:26

Plus Steam doesn't quite work in the same way. With most titles, once you have activated the game you are free to play it offline without requirement to authenticate on a regular basis. Not sure about Origin. Anyway you aren't just locked down to one digital distribution medium on the PC, there are alternatives and as a result there is competitive pricing if you look hard enough.

Ultimately, Microsoft are driving their strategy down from the boardroom and trying to foist their vision on the gaming community which is never going to be well received.

Damien 11-06-2013 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35582702)
Plus Steam doesn't quite work in the same way. With most titles, once you have activated the game you are free to play it offline without requirement to authenticate on a regular basis. Not sure about Origin. Anyway you aren't just locked down to one digital distribution medium on the PC, there are alternatives and as a result there is competitive pricing if you look hard enough.

Ultimately, Microsoft are driving their strategy down from the boardroom and trying to foist their vision on the gaming community which is never going to be well received.

Yeah. I mean if both consoles did it we would have to put up with it but they don't so why cut yourself off from the used game market?

So the reason Microsoft need to change it is because they're not competing against Steam. They're competing against Sony.

v0id 11-06-2013 16:01

Quote:

The PS4 comes with the 'eye' though doesn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35582598)
It'll be months after release of both consoles before i make up my mind though, to see which 1 has the better quality games, if they have a difference.

Months? I'm looking at a couple of YEARS before I decide which of the new consoles to get.

colin25 11-06-2013 16:03

I am in two minds..I will decide closer to the time

Damien 11-06-2013 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35582718)
The PS4 comes with the 'eye' though doesn't it?

Nope

cimt 11-06-2013 16:34

Doesn't the Move part of the controller require the Eye though?

Stephen 11-06-2013 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35582704)
Yeah. I mean if both consoles did it we would have to put up with it but they don't so why cut yourself off from the used game market?

So the reason Microsoft need to change it is because they're not competing against Steam. They're competing against Sony.

But preowned games will still work. Why are people forgetting this....

nstokes 11-06-2013 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35582752)

I dont think people want to believe this. I think people want to believe MS have a block on all 2nd hand/pre owened games. I cant get why people hate the DRM. OK so yes it will be only at certian stores you can trade in but over time more and more stores will work with MS so you wil have more stores to go to.

I think in time also the devs will start going across to MS when they see how much more money they can get and how much secure their games will be. It will take time but i believe Xbox One will win the war. Its a marathon not a sprint and Sony will sprint and run out of breathe but MS will pace them selfs and finish first

Damien 11-06-2013 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35582752)

No they can work. That is different. You can't just put a disc into the console and have it book up. You may need to pay an additional charge, it may be blocked at the publishers request, it may be blocked because the orignal owner hasn't been on your friends list for 30 days.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35582770)
I dont think people want to believe this. I think people want to believe MS have a block on all 2nd hand/pre owened games. I cant get why people hate the DRM. OK so yes it will be only at certian stores you can trade in but over time more and more stores will work with MS so you wil have more stores to go to.

People are just going on what Microsoft said. We want what we have now and Sony is offering that.

Quote:

I think in time also the devs will start going across to MS when they see how much more money they can get and how much secure their games will be. It will take time but i believe Xbox One will win the war. Its a marathon not a sprint and Sony will sprint and run out of breathe but MS will pace them selfs and finish first
Developers go where the installed base is. If Sony sell more consoles because of the DRM and the cost then it won't matter. Installed Base = Larger Market.

nstokes 11-06-2013 19:15

Pre Orders for launch XBox One get day one edition which comes with extra goodies :)

You'll get a limited edition Xbox One Day One branded controller, and a unique commemorative Day One Achievement, plus in-game DLC for a number of launch titles.

Quote:

UPDATE: Microsoft has now detailed the limited Day One Edition of Xbox One, available for those who reserve the system at participating retailers.

You'll get a limited edition Xbox One Day One branded controller, and a unique commemorative Day One Achievement, plus in-game DLC for a number of launch titles.

In Ryse: Son of Rome you'll get an exclusive multiplayer map and sword with bonus attributes. For Forza Motorsport 5 you get access to four cars tuned to the top of their class. In Kinect Sports Rivals you get exclusive sporting equipment and in Dead Rising 3 you'll get exclusive Frank West and Chuck Greene Tribute Packs with bonus attributes.

Xbox Live Gold will remain a subscription service, priced the same each month, although you will now get two free games a month on Xbox 360.

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35582702)

... plus as well as Steam allowing offline play, Steam games are also cheaper than console games.

Does anyone think that the advent of "PC style" restrictions on the Xbox One will also lead to "PC style" prices? No chance! You can bet that the latest games will still have RRPs of £40-50, regardless of any 24hour check-ins or re-sale restrictions that get added.

nstokes 11-06-2013 19:43

Ok so ive been doing more reading on this 'Shared Libray' thing. I am a little confused and hope someone can clear this up. If i buy lets say COD and have it installed on my X1 and then 'Share' my account with lets say my dad. He can play the game without having brought it and i can play the game as well, is this correct? Also i read you can only 'Share' the game to one person and thats it never again, this correct?

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35582835)
Ok so ive been doing more reading on this 'Shared Libray' thing. I am a little confused and hope someone can clear this up. If i buy lets say COD and have it installed on my X1 and then 'Share' my account with lets say my dad. He can play the game without having brought it and i can play the game as well, is this correct? Also i read you can only 'Share' the game to one person and thats it never again, this correct?

You can *give* a game to one person. That is a separate thing to sharing your library with your family.

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xbox.com
Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

peanut 11-06-2013 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35582837)
You can *give* a game to one person. That is a separate thing to sharing your library with your family.

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

I still don't get it, do they think you're going to go out and buy half a dozen consoles for 1 house just so you can all play the one copy?

As it stands now I have one 360 and everyone can play it if they come round is that the same?

nstokes 11-06-2013 20:17

Quote:

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
Just like you can now in really when anyone can use your console and games.

Quote:

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
That to me reads that i can share my copy of COD with my dad but not sureif i can still play COD at same time he is playing COD. Does that mean i can play COD but even thou its in my shared library he cant play it at same time but can play any other game?

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Quote:

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
The way i read this thou is i can buy COD on launch date install it to my XBox One and then a few hours later go round his house and give him the disk and keep the game. I also read it that he wont be able to use it from the cloud thou and will need the disk to play

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35582839)
As it stands now I have one 360 and everyone can play it if they come round is that the same?

Yes, as explained in the quote I posted:

Quote:

... plus you can also share your game library with your family, so they can play on your console or their own:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35582844)
That to me reads that i can share my copy of COD with my dad but not sureif i can still play COD at same time he is playing COD. Does that mean i can play COD but even thou its in my shared library he cant play it at same time but can play any other game?

From the Xbox.com article:

Quote:

You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
... I read that as any one (not "anyone") of the family members you have shared with can play any of your games at a given time. So yes, you'd both be able to play COD, from my understanding of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35582844)
The way i read this thou is i can buy COD on launch date install it to my XBox One and then a few hours later go round his house and give him the disk and keep the game. I also read it that he wont be able to use it from the cloud thou and will need the disk to play

No.

If you *give* a game to someone else, you lose your own access to it. You cannot install a game, give the disc to a friend, and keep playing the game yourself off the HDD.

It's the whole point of the 24hr check-ins: to ensure you're not trying to play something you no longer have the right to play.

If the disc you bought gets authenticated against someone else's account it would be de-authenticated from your account.

- Anyone can play any of your games on your console.

- You can share your library with up to 10 family members, who can play any of your games on their own consoles.

- You can *give* a game to someone else as a one-off transaction.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

... We don't yet know how the "family" thing would work, but I'd assume there'd be some sort of "household" restriction for having "family" members on one account, otherwise people could just team up with up to 9 friends and share all their games with each other.

nstokes 11-06-2013 20:36

Hopefully more info will be given out about this soon. Its still all a bit vauge IMO and i think needs wording better

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 20:46

Microsoft's entire Xbox One PR from the reveal onwards should have been worded better :(

Damien 11-06-2013 20:51

I think Microsoft out-source their decisions to an idiot in a box.

It's like the idea to have the tablet OS shared with the desktop OS rather than the mobile OS.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Aghh I want to stay with Xbox. Why MS, WHYYYYYYYYYY :(

Jameseh 11-06-2013 20:54

Hopefully by next year MS will have realised no-one gives a flying fig about voice control or motion games and will sell the One without the Kinect for a lower price.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 22:11

http://i.imgur.com/POEcZxw.jpg

Xbox 360 S compared to the newer Xbox 360.

I'm really struggling to find a point at all. No the newer console isn't huge, it's just the way the consoles were positioned but they're both similar in size. I just don't get it.

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 22:12

I was really hoping for the rumoured "Xbox Mini" that you could hook up to an Xbox One and use for BC :(

Stephen 11-06-2013 22:55

So in reality reading in to the sharing and secondhand game thing its really not as bad or restrictive as some people are making it out to be?

Also if reports are correct then the DRM thing isn't really a problem for most gamers as pre orders are way higher than expected. Seems just a minority or vocal gamers opposing the DRM.

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 23:01

MS have made all this far too complicated, i think there will be alot of loyal Xbox fans swapping to PS4 this time around.

Stephen 11-06-2013 23:06

I honestly don't think its all that complicated.

I do lend friends games but usually after loaning it once they either give it back as they didn't like it or go buy it themselves.

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35582909)
So in reality reading in to the sharing and secondhand game thing its really not as bad or restrictive as some people are making it out to be?

Also if reports are correct then the DRM thing isn't really a problem for most gamers as pre orders are way higher than expected. Seems just a minority or vocal gamers opposing the DRM.

Preorders were high before MS revealed the OTT price. I'd like to see some updated numbers now...

And the licensing stuff is quite restrictive, especially when compared to the PS4...

rogerdraig 12-06-2013 02:06

i know 4 people who have cancelled their xbox1 preorders and switched to sony

MadGamer 12-06-2013 06:03

I've still got mine pre ordered and have done since the reveal :)

nstokes 12-06-2013 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35582961)
I've still got mine pre ordered and have done since the reveal :)

Same here. Im not swtiching my pre order. Ive got a day one edition on order :)

Damien 12-06-2013 08:26

I have day one edition on order just in case. I still think Microsoft will ape Sony's approach given the aftermath of E3, I suspect they thought that Sony would follow suit with the DRM. I prefer the Xbox's controller tbh and that's why it's my main console. Any excuse they give me to continue with the Xbox will be taken.

MadGamer 12-06-2013 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35582968)
Same here. Im not swtiching my pre order. Ive got a day one edition on order :)

so will I get a day one edition, as I've had mine on order since the reveal?

nstokes 12-06-2013 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35583140)
so will I get a day one edition, as I've had mine on order since the reveal?

Should do ya. Me and my mate ordered same day and both on for Day One edition. Check your pre order details online. I ordered with Game so went onto Game website and found it there

colin25 12-06-2013 17:25

we still don't know when day one is?

nstokes 12-06-2013 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35583147)

I know and i want to know so i can try and get day off work

Stephen 12-06-2013 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35583147)

Isn't it on or around the 21st November?

Bulky 12-06-2013 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35582976)
I have day one edition on order just in case. I still think Microsoft will ape Sony's approach given the aftermath of E3, I suspect they thought that Sony would follow suit with the DRM. I prefer the Xbox's controller tbh and that's why it's my main console. Any excuse they give me to continue with the Xbox will be taken.

I feel the same.
With the option to add drm by the publishers I think Sony are trying to pull the wool over eyes. Like it or not the future of games will mostly be digital downloads in the coming years and that is what Microsoft are pushing towards , Sony probably would have followed suit but not being able to get the Sony cloud ready to roll until sometime in 2014 may have had something to do with it. The ps controller is awful , absolutely useless on fps games ( my preferred gametype) , I'm just hoping that if I do eventually buy a ps4 one of the 3rd party controller makers might mimic the Microsoft one !!.

Damien 12-06-2013 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulky (Post 35583186)
I feel the same.
With the option to add drm by the publishers I think Sony are trying to pull the wool over eyes. Like it or not the future of games will mostly be digital downloads in the coming years and that is what Microsoft are pushing towards , Sony probably would have followed suit but not being able to get the Sony cloud ready to roll until sometime in 2014 may have had something to do with it. The ps controller is awful , absolutely useless on fps games ( my preferred gametype) , I'm just hoping that if I do eventually buy a ps4 one of the 3rd party controller makers might mimic the Microsoft one !!.

The option to add DRM for the publishers is the same situation we have now. It's not enforced by the console and without mandatory check-ins it's difficult to enforce. The problem with digital downloads via consoles is that it's a closed market so Microsoft or Sony could drive up the price. Steam has to compete with many other providers.

colin25 12-06-2013 18:50

i thought that sony only confirmed their games would not have drm...but most of their games are independant?

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35583182)
Isn't it on or around the 21st November?

Not seen a date yet, just november

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

But read this

Think about it: Activision has already confirmed that Call of Duty: Ghosts will release on November 5, and Microsoft announced today that the Xbox One will launch sometime in November. Meanwhile, Ghosts was heavily featured at Microsoft's May 21 Xbox One reveal. It is, for all intents and purposes, being positioned as an Xbox One title (even though it is, of course, a multiplatform release). In my opinion, there is no way Activision would release the next-gen versions after the current-gen editions. They won't be staggered. It just wouldn't make marketing sense! You don't want a customer going into a store on November 5 looking for Ghosts on Xbox One only to be told by the store clerk, "Sorry, that version doesn't come out until next week!"

MadGamer 12-06-2013 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583143)
Should do ya. Me and my mate ordered same day and both on for Day One edition. Check your pre order details online. I ordered with Game so went onto Game website and found it there

I pre ordered with Amazon :)

Damien 12-06-2013 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35583198)
i thought that sony only confirmed their games would not have drm...but most of their games are independant?

Sony confirmed that their games won't have DRM and there is no DRM mechanism on the console. Publishers could still introduce their own systems as they did with Online Pass but it wouldn't be tied to the console and realistically it cannot work for offline or single player games.

nstokes 12-06-2013 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35583198)

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Not seen a date yet, just november

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

But read this

Think about it: Activision has already confirmed that Call of Duty: Ghosts will release on November 5, and Microsoft announced today that the Xbox One will launch sometime in November. Meanwhile, Ghosts was heavily featured at Microsoft's May 21 Xbox One reveal. It is, for all intents and purposes, being positioned as an Xbox One title (even though it is, of course, a multiplatform release). In my opinion, there is no way Activision would release the next-gen versions after the current-gen editions. They won't be staggered. It just wouldn't make marketing sense! You don't want a customer going into a store on November 5 looking for Ghosts on Xbox One only to be told by the store clerk, "Sorry, that version doesn't come out until next week!"

That would make marketing sense

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35583207)
I pre ordered with Amazon :)

You should have it. Check and see

Ianmez78 12-06-2013 23:49

Just Pre-ordered XBOne Day One thru Game

adzii_nufc 13-06-2013 03:06

Looks like it could be over for the Xbox. I didn't expect them to take a hit this bad but their refusal to acknowledge what people want want has lost them a tonne of sales already and I feel we could be very well looking at the biggest console flop in gaming history. Amazon are claiming the Xbox pre-orders have been going down as well as cancellations since the Sony conference. The backlash of the internet is severe and unless Microsoft pull the plug on the nonsense they've given us over the past few months we may enjoy another Sega Saturn outcome.

Yep, that's me saying I'm done with Xbox. As stated in earlier in the thread I thought people would just get on with it and sales would be similar on both but the backlash since E3 has just gotten worse and Microsoft are yet to do a damn thing about it.

My evidence to support:

http://i.imgur.com/tvXzEGE.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...nline_pass.php

The fans:
Quote:

Microsoft, there is something you need to understand.
Always online doesn’t bother me. I’m already always online.
Not buying preowned doesn’t bother me – I always buy new and never trade my games in.
The Kinect doesn’t bother me because I have the ability to realise I already own half a dozen devices with the ability to listen in/see what I’m doing – including one with a built in GPS that I carry with me everywhere I go. I also realise that if I’m worried about privacy, I should be looking at the government and it’s laws, not you.
But you know what does bother me? Your utter contempt for me. Your lack of focus on me as a gamer. Your failure to recognise that your draconic DRM systems are punishing me, the paying customer, and not the pirates who will be playing for free no matter what you do – or playing the same games on PC after pirating them if you do manage to pull it off. Telling me that if I don’t want always online, then I shouldn’t want a next generation system.
So despite the fact that not one single thing you are doing would really inconvenience me personally, I feel reluctant to give you my money purely because I honestly feel that you just don’t give a damn about me as a gamer. You aren’t interested.
Sony is bending over backwards to give gamers everything they have ever asked for. We don’t know if they’ll deliver – but they’re a lot more likely to deliver on a promise they’ve made than you are on one you haven’t.
As a gamer who has never owned a Sony console, nor really considered buying one, I was excited for the Xbox One. I was looking forward to buying it and if you had asked me 6 months ago what console I was getting next I would have told you straight up ‘The new Xbox’. Because I figured that you and Sony would basically release the same thing, matching each other’s promises and method to try and outdo one another and capture the gaming audience.
But no. I look at you and I see a company that says “Oh you want to play games? FINE. But you do it how WE SAY!”. I look at Sony and they’re telling me “Hey, it’s OK, cmere.. we’re going to give you everything you want, everything you’ve asked us for.. no really, everything. All of it.”
This is a message from a gamer who has actually been supporting you all this time – in fact take a stroll through my post history and you will SEE me defend you.
But I’m getting tired of it. I still want to buy the Xbox One.. but the people pushing me away aren’t fanboys or your competition.. it’s you. Because so far, you have yet to give me one single reason as to why I would purchase your console instead of a Playstation.
I think that should worry you.
Just about summed up how I feel right now.

Remember the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 but Microsoft dominated the online market and addons. I can't see this happening if Microsoft fail to sell it. Sony have the fans and they may have just gained the millions of fans that bought the Xbox 360 and pumped their money into making Xbox Live that successful.

Sorry Microsoft but unless you put an end to this joke I see Game Over.

cimt 13-06-2013 03:17

People don't seem to realise that this is the way consoles are going anyway. Do people not realise that Sony and Nintendo will both deffos do it by the next next-gen.

adzii_nufc 13-06-2013 03:18

It doesn't matter if neither of them are around to release for next-gen. The Wii-U is a flop and the Xbox One is heading the same way.

cimt 13-06-2013 03:20

I mean that Sony and Nintendo will both have online only DRM next next-gen.

Damien 13-06-2013 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35583395)
People don't seem to realise that this is the way consoles are going anyway. Do people not realise that Sony and Nintendo will both deffos do it by the next next-gen.

Why if opting out of doing so gives you an advantage in the market? Sony could have followed Microsoft's example but instead they simply decided to keep the status quo and they got the biggest cheer of E3! If this helps Sony dominate this generation they they, or a competitor, will note how consumers punished DRM policies.

---------- Post added at 07:15 ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 ----------

That said if next next gen is digital only then it won't matter.

SnoopZ 13-06-2013 10:24

And Sony have said the PS4 has a 10yr life span so i won't worry about it just yet, it is all about the current next Gen, and i think MS stuffed up. :)

Looks like i will be buying a PS4 this time as it seems the sensible thing to do unless MS change something.

Stephen 13-06-2013 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35583396)
It doesn't matter if neither of them are around to release for next-gen. The Wii-U is a flop and the Xbox One is heading the same way.

I would hardly call the Wii U a flop, yes its not sold as well as Nintendo predicted but its still doing ok and the big releases won't be around will end of this year early 2014.

Also I definately do not think that the One will flop. Aside from the vocal forum users online I still think the majority of the general public will still go with the Xbox.

colin25 13-06-2013 14:11

I decided to put a deposit for a xbox one, and COD

nstokes 13-06-2013 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35583523)
Also I definately do not think that the One will flop. Aside from the vocal forum users online I still think the majority of the general public will still go with the Xbox.

I agree. My mate also pre ordered one for launch but is having doubts and is thinking about changing his mind to a PS4. Reason for this is because he other mates are getting one. Im sticking with XBone as i dont want to be a sheep and follow the crowed but also ill get a lot of stick if i know change my mind

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35583524)
I decided to put a deposit for a xbox one, and COD

Good on you, XBone FTW :)

Damien 13-06-2013 14:28

Quote:

. Also I definately do not think that the One will flop. Aside from the vocal forum users online I still think the majority of the general public will still go with the Xbox.

Would they? It's about on par between the PS3 and Xbox these days but when going into a store what would make them spent £70 more even if the restrictions don't bother them?

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583531)
I agree. My mate also pre ordered one for launch but is having doubts and is thinking about changing his mind to a PS4. Reason for this is because he other mates are getting one. Im sticking with XBone as i dont want to be a sheep and follow the crowed but also ill get a lot of stick if i know change my mind

Get a Wii U if it's about not following the crowd. The console with the larger installed base is more likely to have exclusives and such which is why early adoption is important. I don't think people are concerned about being perceived as a sheep or not.

Stephen 13-06-2013 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583531)

Good on you, XBone FTW :)

I know for a fact that I will end up with both consoles but the One is top of my list as the games announced appeal to me more.

I still think people don't actually understand the way preowned games and sharing actually work.

I mean take for example books. You used to buy a book and once finished it you would pass it to a freind or give it away. Now with E-Readers you buy the book and you can't do either of those things but E-Readers have still taken off and increased in popularity. I think the One will be the same.

I am also sure that eventually there will be no physical copies of games for any system, so people may as well start getting used to it.

Damien 13-06-2013 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35583544)
I mean take for example books. You used to buy a book and once finished it you would pass it to a freind or give it away. Now with E-Readers you buy the book and you can't do either of those things but E-Readers have still taken off and increased in popularity. I think the One will be the same.

Yes but the Xbox doesn't exist in a vacuum. The PS3 does offer those things and does so at a cheaper price and is no less powerful. If E-Readers had allowed you to share books and then suddenly one of the players on the market said they were adding a multitude of restrictions on it then people would be more likely to switch to another e-reader.

This has been the defence each time. "Well you can't do it on X either..." but it's irrelevant. You can do it on the Playstation and that's their competitor.

Quote:

I am also sure that eventually there will be no physical copies of games for any system, so people may as well start getting used to it.
Hardly an inspiring reason to buy a console. We will probably have to get used to it but at the moment we don't. I still buy second hand games because I can, I don't pay £20 more to buy a new game so I can get used to it.

I just don't see why more people will walk into a GAME store and buy £70 more for the console with more restrictions on it. Looks at the line up all the crucial games are multi-platform.

Kabaal 13-06-2013 14:56

Quote:

I still think people don't actually understand the way preowned games and sharing actually work.

That's not really a fair comparison. eBooks became popular because of their portability, convenience and space saving, actual benefits to the people buying them. MS and their planned restrictions for the One have zero benefits for the consumer, they are restriction and nothing more.

Jameseh 13-06-2013 14:57

Quote:

eBooks are basically always cheaper than physical books though.

v0id 13-06-2013 15:01

Quote:

..once you've finished reading a book, you just make a copy of it and email it to your friends, while keeping the orginal on your e-reader ;)

I don't think I have single legit copy on my Kindle :D

adzii_nufc 13-06-2013 16:22

Don Mattrick comes to Microsoft and then this happens, I can't exactly say he's responsible for it but they hire a guy that headed EA for 25 years and now they want to stop you playing used games...

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Quote:

I would hardly call the Wii U a flop, yes its not sold as well as Nintendo predicted but its still doing ok and the big releases won't be around will end of this year early 2014.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/wii...-casual-dream/

Quote:

The original old Wii machine managed to sell more units than the Wii U
Quote:

Nintendo’s net income for the year was a staggering 49.3 per cent lower than forecast
I've never played the console though so I just based it on it's sales. It could be a great console, I don't know.

Not sure whether this is true:

http://pastebin.com/uCmdh9jB

Stephen 13-06-2013 16:53

It is a great console. I bought one a few weeks ago. I think where Nintendo went wrong was to give it the same name as its previous system but only add a U to the title. Most people I think initially thought it was the same console with a new controller that could be added to the old one and not a totally new more powerful HD system with an inovative new controller. Given a different name I think it would have been in a different position now. Also as stated in a previous post once its big titles arrive ie Pikmin 3, Mario Kart and Marioworld 3D then I see its sales picking up. Why they never have their big titles at launch I'll never know.

But back to the topic. I really don't think MS will fail with the One. Yes there is DRM but thats not really the issue, however preowned games will still work. That was confirmed. It just means that the retail stores taking part would have to sign up to an MS database linking the titles into the user database to remove the title off an account once traded. Not really that big a deal to be honest.

MadGamer 13-06-2013 17:27

I've just had a chat with Amazon and they have said that all pre orders placed prior to today are automatically being upgraded from the standard edition to the day one edition console. I'm very happy :D

nstokes 13-06-2013 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen:35583644
But back to the topic. I really don't think MS will fail with the One. Yes there is DRM but thats not really the issue, however preowned games will still work. That was confirmed. It just means that the retail stores taking part would have to sign up to an MS database linking the titles into the user database to remove the title off an account once traded. Not really that big a deal to be honest.

I agree with you. None of the DRM or the connect to internet once a day bother me. Ive heard from my mate that you can tether your phone to it so it can connect to internet for the check and it uses 1KB of data

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer:35583663
I've just had a chat with Amazon and they have said that all pre orders placed prior to today are automatically being upgraded from the standard edition to the day one edition console. I'm very happy :D

I think this is the case as Game have done same thing

Bulky 13-06-2013 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583673)
I agree with you. None of the DRM or the connect to internet once a day bother me. Ive heard from my mate that you can tether your phone to it so it can connect to internet for the check and it uses 1KB of data

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

It's not 1kb of data but its a very small amount , tbh I feel the same , the more I think about the DRM the less it bothers me, I keep putting xbox one in a cart for preorder then not pressing the button lol. I think xbox one has the better exclusives , the network is far superior at present , dedicated servers is a huge huge deal that people seem to dismiss , I'm gonna do it !!!

colin25 13-06-2013 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulky (Post 35583681)
It's not 1kb of data but its a very small amount , tbh I feel the same , the more I think about the DRM the less it bothers me, I keep putting xbox one in a cart for preorder then not pressing the button lol. I think xbox one has the better exclusives , the network is far superior at present , dedicated servers is a huge huge deal that people seem to dismiss , I'm gonna do it !!!

Just do it. i did it today too :)

nstokes 13-06-2013 18:19

Quote:

Press the button and order it

colin25 13-06-2013 18:21

Quote:

If you don't do it, then you will be renamed balky

nstokes 13-06-2013 19:11

Xbox One will support external storage via the USB 3.0 ports

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive/

MadGamer 13-06-2013 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583673)

Got an email from them confirming it too :D

nstokes 13-06-2013 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35583725)
Got an email from them confirming it too :D

Good. I cant wait till it launches. If its 5th Nov (same time as COD:Ghosts) then its 145 days away. Ive got it on a day countdown on my phone :)

MadGamer 13-06-2013 19:58

I saw an ad for that on Xbox one while round my sisters, me thinks its the beginning of November for the Xbox One launch :)

nstokes 13-06-2013 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35583742)
I saw an ad for that on Xbox one while round my sisters, me thinks its the beginning of November for the Xbox One launch :)

Well tomorrow i am going to try and book November 5ht off just in case and if i cant then email my manager to see if i can et it off

colin25 13-06-2013 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583746)
Well tomorrow i am going to try and book November 5ht off just in case and if i cant then email my manager to see if i can et it off

sick day..cough cough

MadGamer 13-06-2013 20:21

Once we have a date set in stone, then I'm booking a week off :)

nstokes 13-06-2013 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35583749)
sick day..cough cough

Is not that simple mate im afraid :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35583755)
Once we have a date set in stone, then I'm booking a week off :)

Im going to try and get the week off but i doubt ill get it

Tezcatlipoca 13-06-2013 21:44

I've got a PS4 pre-ordered now, but haven't cancelled my Xbox One pre-order despite feeling that way after the price difference was revealed.

The anti-consumer BS doesn't actually affect me, other than annoy me due to Microsoft's arrogance. My only real *personal* issue with the Xbox One is the price... And if the game sharing thing works like people are hoping, then that won't be such an issue. All you'll need to do to cover that £80 difference is to team up with two Friends and all buy a different launch game then share your libraries... And of course you can add more friends and share more games...

So I've swung from "SCREW YOU MICROSOFT!" to "Oh, OK... Maybe I will get one at launch, maybe not. I'll see what happens...But I still think MS are stupid, greedy, and arrogant regardless."

The superiority of XBL and of course the Xbox controller is also another factor. The 360 pad is my fave pad ever, while the DualShock3 is probably one of my most hated.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

The "Family" sharing thing:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...t-some-details

So... Who's up for creating a "Cable Forum Family" in November? ;)

MadGamer 13-06-2013 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35583790)
I've got a PS4 pre-ordered now, but haven't cancelled my Xbox One pre-order despite feeling that way after the price difference was revealed.

The anti-consumer BS doesn't actually affect me, other than annoy me due to Microsoft's arrogance. My only real *personal* issue with the Xbox One is the price... And if the game sharing thing works like people are hoping, then that won't be such an issue. All you'll need to do to cover that £80 difference is to team up with two Friends and all buy a different launch game then share your libraries... And of course you can add more friends and share more games...

So I've swung from "SCREW YOU MICROSOFT!" to "Oh, OK... Maybe I will get one at launch, maybe not. I'll see what happens...But I still think MS are stupid, greedy, and arrogant regardless."

The superiority of XBL and of course the Xbox controller is also another factor. The 360 pad is my fave pad ever, while the DualShock3 is probably one of my most hated.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

The "Family" sharing thing:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...t-some-details

me :)

nstokes 13-06-2013 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35583790)

Me :)

Tezcatlipoca 13-06-2013 21:54

Cool. I think it's a great idea, especially as it is apparently not restricted to actual family members or to people in the same house.

If it really works as it seems, it'll be awesome.

nstokes - What's your Tag, btw?

MadGamer 13-06-2013 21:58

I have a question about the controller, will they be releasing a play and charge kit for it?

cimt 13-06-2013 21:59

A CF one? I thought you were gunna be part of the BXB one, Matt?

nstokes 13-06-2013 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35583797)
Cool. I think it's a great idea, especially as it is apparently not restricted to actual family members or to people in the same house.

If it really works as it seems, it'll be awesome.

nstokes - What's your Tag, btw?

It might be worth starting a thread for that for people to post the games they are buying at launch and what they want to share and there gammer tags

Tag = Stokesy1987

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35583800)
I have a question about the controller, will they be releasing a play and charge kit for it?

Yes they will. Its an accessory and doesnt come included in box

Tezcatlipoca 13-06-2013 22:00

Yup:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/a...es?xr=shellnav

Damien 13-06-2013 22:01

You won't be able to play at the same time tho right?

Tezcatlipoca 13-06-2013 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35583802)
A CF one? I thought you were gunna be part of the BXB one, Matt?

I don't see why people can't have multiple "Families" :) I could have some people from here, some from BXB, some from elsewhere...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583803)
It might be worth starting a thread for that for people to post the games they are buying at launch and what they want to share and there gammer tags

Tag = Stokesy1987

I'll add you later (I'm Tezcatlipoca).

Yeah, a thread with launch games listed would be a good idea when the time gets nearer.

nstokes 13-06-2013 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35583805)

Im not sure as i thought you could

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35583806)
I don't see why people can't have multiple "Families" :) I could have some people from here, some from BXB, some from elsewhere...

I'll add you later (I'm Tezcatlipoca).

Yeah, a thread with launch games listed would be a good idea when the time gets nearer.

Cool. Ill accept it when next on

Tezcatlipoca 13-06-2013 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35583805)

The way that article reads is that while *you* can always play *your* games, only one "Family" member can be playing the shared copy of a single game at a given time.

So, it may be possible for e.g. you to play BF4 and a "Family" member to play the shared copy at the same time. We need more info from MS (as always!).

Even if you can't play the same game at the same time, it's still a brilliant idea.

Damien 13-06-2013 22:07

I don't know. I really want an Xbox. I love the control, Live, and it's got all my stuff on it. But I can't do it. The cost doesn't bother me as much as that requirement to connect every 24 hours. I am worried about their servers being down, my internet going down, and the fact it puts an artificial lifespan on the console.

nstokes 13-06-2013 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35583810)
I don't know. I really want an Xbox. I love the control, Live, and it's got all my stuff on it. But I can't do it. The cost doesn't bother me as much as that requirement to connect every 24 hours. I am worried about their servers being down, my internet going down, and the fact it puts an artificial lifespan on the console.

You can verify console via your phone so ive heard. As for the servers going down its not likely to happen and if it does it wont be for 24 hrs

Damien 13-06-2013 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583814)
You can verify console via your phone so ive heard. As for the servers going down its not likely to happen and if it does it wont be for 24 hrs

No but you get home, switch it on all ready, and then servers down.

nstokes 13-06-2013 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35583816)
No but you get home, switch it on all ready, and then servers down.

You can still game offline, if you checked in night before that is

Bulky 13-06-2013 22:20

Me , just preordered :)

Damien 13-06-2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583819)
You can still game offline, if you checked in night before that is

I mean doesn't that sum up the absurdity of the whole thing? I'll be stumping up £430 and I need to check in one a day with Microsoft to ensure I can carry on playing? To use the console I paid for? :( It's my console! If I don't have internet I expect to be able to put in a disc and play for a bit.

nstokes 13-06-2013 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35583823)
I mean doesn't that sum up the absurdity of the whole thing? I'll be stumping up £430 and I need to check in one a day with Microsoft to ensure I can carry on playing? To use the console I paid for? :( It's my console! If I don't have internet I expect to be able to put in a disc and play for a bit.

Maybe they will make it so it you cant get internet access that it will ask for the disk so you can play

Bulky 13-06-2013 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35583836)
Maybe they will make it so it you cant get internet access that it will ask for the disk so you can play

Now that makes sense , but I won't have any discs ;)

SnoopZ 13-06-2013 22:58

I am with Damien on this, i really wanted an Xbox but i just can't do it, given what MS have done to it all and it is filled with that TV crap.