Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : Doctor Who (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698617)

adzii_nufc 24-07-2017 00:53

Re: Doctor Who

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35908979)
Oh my. Not been excited for a Christmas episode ijn years. That looks utterly fantastic.

Bill is back and I am sure that was meant to be Captain Lethbridge-Stewart.

Maybe a push for the father of the Brigadier with some tweaks but I think that's unlikely. The uniform fits the period of the WW1 setting. The period of which Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart wasn't alive. That made me consider his father which upon digging a little revealed that back story only led to his father being a WW2 pilot but offered no other information. The captain looks in his 40's, he didnt then father a kid in the late 1920's, he's more likely to have kids at the present time. Noting the echo hint that surely leaves it at the grandfather.

I eliminated time travel via the uniform of course. Unless he dressed for the occasion before randomly appearing in the middle of a world war.

Russ 25-07-2017 05:11

Bill is back then :( they had to get our hopes up, didn’t they :dozey:

Booked another tour for the Doctor Who Experience a few days before it finally closes for good in September. Kind of feels like a very Cardiff thing, not renewing the lease on such a popular attraction that is genuinely value for money and has people visiting it from all over the world.....

If you get the chance to see it before they pull down the shutters I really recommend it :to:

Stephen 25-07-2017 17:35

I wish I could get to Cardiff to see it, but it won't be possible. too much on over next 2 months.

I was hyped to see the original console room and also Polly in the trailer.

I think this could be the best christmas episode!

Seems that when Moffat just has fun his episodes end up really good.

Dave42 22-08-2017 17:58

Bradley Walsh companion rumour

http://news.sky.com/story/bradley-wa...snt-sf-twitter

Damien 22-08-2017 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35913679)

Dear god no.

Don't take the interesting, and serious, casting of Whittaker and accompany with Bradley Walsh. That's a major red flag as to the direction of the series if they do that.

TheDaddy 23-08-2017 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35913703)
Dear god no.

Don't take the interesting, and serious, casting of Whittaker and accompany with Bradley Walsh. That's a major red flag as to the direction of the series if they do that.

I'd be more likely to tune in to watch him in the show than because there is a woman doctor tbh

Paul 24-08-2017 01:42

The series already raised a big red flag as far as many are concerned, this could potentially ruin it even more.

(On the other hand, Catherine Tate turned out ok, so who knows).

Stuart 24-08-2017 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35913703)
Dear god no.

I think Bradley Walsh can actually be a good actor. While the thought they might have cast him because he is famous rather than a good actor (thus bringing back memories of Bonnie Langford), it’s worth remembering that when they’ve done this, it’s actually turned out well more than it hasn’t. Yes Bonnie was bad, and David Thewlis wasn’t that great, but I think most of Bonnie Langford’s stories were badly written (she is actually a good actress) and while David Thewlis’s story wasn’t badly written, it was a bit dull. David played his part well, it’s just the character was dull.

Of the other famous companions, Kylie was actually quite good (although, again, she didn’t have a great story) and Catherine Tate was brilliant, after a shaky start.

I think with good writing, Bradley Walsh could play the part well.

I’d recommend watching the new series for a few episodes. If I hadn’t have done this when Chris Ecclestone was playing the doctor, I would have not got past “Aliens Of London”

Chris 25-08-2017 09:53

Bonnie Langford's opening story was actually quite good (the "Terror of the Vervoids" segment of Trial of a Time Lord). The problem was, when they came to make season 24, Sly McCoy had been cast so late that no work had been done to establish what kind of a Doctor he would be. That had a knock on effect for the entire production, although to be fair the crew had even less to go on than usual because Mel was introduced in Terror as already being a companion. She never got an "introducing" story.

The upshot was that Mel, who was at first adventurous and enquiring (as well as a screamer) just became ... well, a screamer. A plot device there only to create peril* and give the Doctor something to do.

* Paradise Towers. She just happened to be wearing her swimmers, so she could get in the pool and then get chased by a malevolent robot crab (although in that case it was the equally useless Pex that rescued her).

Stephen 25-08-2017 10:24

Paradise Towers was on the whole a decent story.

I think Bradley Walsh could make a good companion although he is pretty old.

Chris 25-08-2017 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35913993)
Paradise Towers was on the whole a decent story.

I think Bradley Walsh could make a good companion although he is pretty old.

Very few of McCoy's stories suffered from a poor original idea. Paradise Towers was a great idea. Sadly it was poorly realised.

Stephen 28-08-2017 08:21

The budget was in tatters by the time McCoy took over and when it got to the final series you barely saw the inside of the TARDIS as the set was in a state of disrepair they couldn't use it.

I can't remember the episode but there was one late on where they managed to get the console and hung up a curtain quite close behind decorated like the walls of the console room. It looked terrible and was dimly lit to try and hide it.

The beeb were really trying to kill the show off and succeeded

Chris 28-08-2017 11:42

"What are you doing, Doctor?"
"Working!"
"Is that why it's so dark in here?"

Curse of Fenric, if memory serves.

Dave42 09-11-2017 13:35

new doctor costume

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/11/6.jpg

Mr K 09-11-2017 14:35

mmm, I preferred Colin Baker's garb

Stephen 09-11-2017 17:50

Reminds me a bit of Sarah Jane's outfits from the 3rd and 4th Doctor's era.

Paul 09-11-2017 18:41

I noticed an article the other day confirming Bradley Walsh as one of the new "team" (i.e. companions).

Stephen 09-11-2017 18:43

Indeed, there are 3 companions,
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/11/1.jpeg
Meet the new 'Doctor Who' cast: Mandip Gill (Yasmin), Bradley Walsh (Graham), Jodie Whittaker (the Doctor), Tosin Cole (Ryan) (via BBC)

Paul 25-02-2018 19:00

Doctor Who Series 11 is not coming until Autumn 2018.

It will kick off with an hour-long episode, followed by nine 50 minute episodes.

Mr K 25-02-2018 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35938457)

It will kick off with an hour-long episode, followed by nine 50 minute episodes.

Always was best in the Autumn, put it on during spring/summer was daft.

I'll give it and her a chance, but the signs aren't good. It can only redeem itself by being shit scary again and giving kiddies nightmares ;)

Stephen 26-02-2018 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35938457)

I knew it would be on till autumn. Summer is a bad time as viewing figures were always lower due to people on holidays.

Last season was better not starting till later in the year.

I love the new logo

A possible sample of the new theme too perhaps.

Mr K 26-02-2018 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35938620)
I knew it would be on till autumn. Summer is a bad time as viewing figures were always lower due to people on holidays.

Last season was better not starting till later in the year.

I love the new logo

A possible sample of the new theme too perhaps.

Not as good as this one:-
https://goo.gl/images/z3rfbC

Stephen 26-02-2018 18:51

I see the red arrows?

Mr K 26-02-2018 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35938626)
I see the red arrows?

Mmm, me too, strange. Anyway I meant the 1970s diamond logo, I used to have a pair of underpants with that on. Wish I'd kept them, probably be valuable now ! (washed of course :) )
https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2018/02/16.jpg

Stephen 26-02-2018 19:31

I do like that one but also loved the Davison and McCoy era logos.

Dave42 23-05-2018 17:06

Doctor Who Official

Verified account

@bbcdoctorwho
2m
2 minutes ago

Classic #DoctorWho will be streaming on @Twitch starting Tuesday 29th May! All info here > https://bbc.in/2s4qnZL

Stephen 15-07-2018 17:45

Here is our first look. A proper teaser.

Looks great and can't wait.

Of course whingers online moaning as the teaser didn't show clips or Give anything away. Am sure they would all moan if it did as well.

Dave42 15-07-2018 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35954593)
Here is our first look. A proper teaser.

Looks great and can't wait.

Of course whingers online moaning as the teaser didn't show clips or Give anything away. Am sure they would all moan if it did as well.

just hope we get a start date for series 11 soon

Stephen 15-07-2018 20:07

Got a feeling we will get a further trailer and an air date at SDCC next week.

Mr K 15-07-2018 22:13

Oh dear since when did the Dr, wear lippy? Really want to give this a chance, but I fear the worst. If they'd cast some grumpy old woman, I could accept that.

Stephen 15-07-2018 22:26

I don't see any issues with her or her age. Davison and Matt Smith were not grumpy or old and were great.

Give it a chance then, but by your post it sounds like you have already decided you ardent going to enjoy it.

Personally I think it's going to be fresh and different especially with the new show runner, new composer, new TARDIS crew and new Doctor.. the teaser did get me more interested. Let's see what comes out of SDCC next week. Doctor Who panel is on the Thursday.

Paul 16-07-2018 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35954637)
.. new show runner, new composer, new TARDIS crew and new Doctor

So basically just Doctor Who in name only. ;)

Btw, what is SDCC ?

Stephen 16-07-2018 14:39

San Diego Comic Con.

The biggest convention there is. All the movies and tv for the next 12 month's always show up and there are panels and exclusive events.

Chris 16-07-2018 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35954706)
So basically just Doctor Who in name only.

Like 2005. ;)

Damien 16-07-2018 22:08

Doctor Who is like James Bond. It has to keep reverting itself to survive. I stopped watch the last few seasons because it all become a bit of the same thing. I will watch this one given it's effectively a reboot but I don't hold out much hope it will lose the pedestrian, paint by numbers, feel that last few years had.

Paul 16-07-2018 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35954785)
Like 2005. ;)

Yes, exactly like 2005. ;)

I gave it shot in 2005, and decided it was ok.
I'll be giving it the same chance again this time.

Mr K 17-07-2018 10:05

The problem I have is that although the good Dr. can change body, you have to believe it's the same person. It's a big ask for any actor, but they've mostly pulled it off. A change of sex might be stretching it . Can she convince us she's an older version of William Hartnell ?? Maybe he she can in which case it'll be worth a Bafta at least !
However hope I'm totally wrong ;)

Damien 17-07-2018 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35954833)
The problem I have is that although the good Dr. can change body, you have to believe it's the same person. It's a big ask for any actor, but they've mostly pulled it off. A change of sex might be stretching it . Can she convince us she's an older version of William Hartnell ?? Maybe he she can in which case it'll be worth a Bafta at least !

Really changing gender is more believable than regenerating into an entire new person. I mean he/she is a alien that travels the universe in a box which breaks the laws of physics. Being a woman is probably one of the less out there changes.

downquark1 17-07-2018 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35954833)

Well no, the different doctors have been acted very differently with different personalities. They are almost completely different people, perhaps different people with the same memories.

It's difficult to conceive, since you know... it isn't real.

Stuart 17-07-2018 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 35954838)
Well no, the different doctors have been acted very differently with different personalities. They are almost completely different people, perhaps different people with the same memories.

One of the doctors (Peter Davison IIRC) said that as long as he (and the writers) included core values including a love for the human race, curiosity, humour and heroism (all of which all of the doctors have shown) in the character, they were actually quite free to develop the characters as they saw fit. Look at the first three doctors. William Hartnell was quite a serious, grandfatherly figure, who seems to prefer to think his way through problems. Patrick Troughton was a clown, and often nervous. John Pertwee was a bit of a dandy, capable of a lot of humour and would frequently fight his way out of a problem.

Mr K 17-07-2018 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35954875)
One of the doctors (Peter Davison IIRC) said that as long as he (and the writers) included core values including a love for the human race, curiosity, humour and heroism (all of which all of the doctors have shown) in the character, they were actually quite free to develop the characters as they saw fit. Look at the first three doctors. William Hartnell was quite a serious, grandfatherly figure, who seems to prefer to think his way through problems. Patrick Troughton was a clown, and often nervous. John Pertwee was a bit of a dandy, capable of a lot of humour and would frequently fight his way out of a problem.

Davison also thinks having a woman Dr. is a naff idea. He got hounded out of social media for having that opinion.

Stephen 17-07-2018 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 35954838)

They may have brought something new to the role but every actor thus far has managed to make you believe it the same person.

Mr K 17-07-2018 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35954940)
They may have brought something new to the role but every actor thus far has managed to make you believe it the same person.

They really should have brought Colin Baker back. He's 'available' according to his agent ;)

Stuart 18-07-2018 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35954881)
Davison also thinks having a woman Dr. is a naff idea. He got hounded out of social media for having that opinion.

Which is irrelevant. The fact he has an opinion on whether the doctor should be a woman or not has no bearing on what he was apparently told about the doctor having certain core characteristics. Women can have those characteristics just as well as Men.

Stephen 18-07-2018 11:24

I still say the Doctor is not a woman.

Yes there is a woman playing the part of the Doctor and there for looks female for this regeneration.

However, I feel he is still the same gender as he was during his first incarnation.

Damien 18-07-2018 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35955021)
I still say the Doctor is not a woman.

Yes there is a woman playing the part of the Doctor and there for looks female for this regeneration.

However, I feel he is still the same gender as he was during his first incarnation.

Has gender really ever been part of the Doctor's identity?

Stephen 18-07-2018 13:12

Up until recent series it was always inferred that Gallifrey consisted of males and females.

There are Time Lord's and Time Ladies. It was only recently the show runner decided that gender was not a thing by having the Master turn into a female.

Dave42 19-07-2018 20:20

trailer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06f6j8s

Stephen 19-07-2018 23:28

Chris 20-07-2018 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35955040)
Has gender really ever been part of the Doctor's identity?

Well yes, clearly it has been, because the show originated in the early 1960s when there was no mainstream acceptance of the idea that gender could be different from biological sex. If you present someone as a grandfather in that context then you are tapping into a deep, commonly-held understanding of what that meant. Much is now made of how the classic doctor was “sexless” because he didn’t carry on with any of the classic companions, but if you understand the show in its correct historical context, the very first thing we knew about him was that he was a grandfather. Not being interested in relationships is then not so surprising.

The idea that the doctor is male was reinforced by the publicity stunt performed by John Nathan Turner and Tom Baker in wishing the new doctor well, “whoever he or she is” - she being a joke, not a suggestion to be taken seriously. The idea that a time lord can change biological sex in regeneration wasn’t taken seriously in any canonical material until after the revival of 2005.

All that said, there never was a showrunner’s bible for Doctor Who and much of what we think we know about Time Lords and Gallifrey was only ever invented when a story came along that required it. The Doctor’s universe is still being invented to this day. That’s probably a major reason it has survived so long. It’s always fresh and can always be adapted to fit stories that appeal to its current audience. I have no doubt that over the coming seasons the show will explore the psychological effect of a time lord sex change, and as all good sci fi does, will most likely generate a discussion about contemporary issues at the same time.

Dave42 20-07-2018 10:58

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2018/07/5.jpg

Paul 06-09-2018 15:20

It seems that the BBC have moved Season 11 from its prime time Saturday spot to Sundays (time unconfirmed atm).

Episode 1 is on Sunday 7th October.

Stuart 06-09-2018 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35955400)
All that said, there never was a showrunner’s bible for Doctor Who and much of what we think we know about Time Lords and Gallifrey was only ever invented when a story came along that required it. The Doctor’s universe is still being invented to this day. That’s probably a major reason it has survived so long. It’s always fresh and can always be adapted to fit stories that appeal to its current audience. I have no doubt that over the coming seasons the show will explore the psychological effect of a time lord sex change, and as all good sci fi does, will most likely generate a discussion about contemporary issues at the same time.

I have read in the past that if you watch enough Doctor Who episodes, it actually contradicts itself in a lot of areas, which may be as a result of the writer making changes to canon to fit in with the story, it can also be a result of bad writing. Changing canon to fit the story, if done well, can improve things. Take Genesis of the Daleks. It did make changes to the back story of the Daleks, but concentrated on areas that had been largely left alone by other stories, and was well written, so felt like an extension of the Dalek backstory rather than a rewrite. Even though the special effects look cheap (even by 70s standards), it's still probably my favourite Doctor Who story.

We've had disagreements on here in the past about female Doctors, but I think the Doctor Who is good as long as it has well written, well acted stories, and I suspect you actually think the same. It will also hopefully provoke some interesting discussions, both on and off line. I look forward to it.

denphone 06-09-2018 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35962451)
It seems that the BBC have moved Season 11 from its prime time Saturday spot to Sundays (time unconfirmed atm).

They are hoping for a ratings spike l reckon.

Chris 06-09-2018 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35962451)

I think this will be a good move.

The Sunday evening schedule is a lot more stable because there isn’t generally much live or one-off stuff to compete with. The autumn schedule on a Saturday is a nightmare for a drama series trying to build or retain audience because of Strictly, whose show length including start and finish time changes almost every week.

I predict they will pick a time and stick with it, but it’s not obvious to me what they’ll pick. Countryfile has the plum 7pm slot and AFAIK is on year-round. Who is either going to get the slightly-before-6pm slot presently occupied by gameshow repeats, or the 8pm slot occupied by some poor relation of Antiques Roadshow. Those are too early and too late for my taste but we’ll just have to see how it pans out. It’s worth remembering that this season they have ditched the 40 minute, advert friendly format for full hour-long episodes of the kind people using streaming services expect to see. Who has always been in the vanguard of the BBC’s iPlayer strategy and it looks like that’s set to continue, perhaps with BBC Worldwide focusing on streaming sales for international distribution rather than traditional ad-funded broadcast channels.

Paul 06-09-2018 15:42

The explanation given was that they could not get the early evening timeslot they wanted on Saturday, and showing it later caused ratings to fall, so they opted for Sunday instead. It remains to be seen how well that goes.

(of course, if ratings are bad, it also gives them an excuse other than the new female doctor ;))

Chris 06-09-2018 15:47

If they think being on too late is the enemy, then they’re going to have to go for the teatime slot before the news, which to be fair is where the classic series started out, albeit on a Saturday.

Doctor Who is far less vulnerable to lower broadcast ratings now than it used to be. Its catch-up ratings have always been ahead of the curve and it makes the BBC a mint in merchandising and overseas sales. I think the 60 minute format is aimed squarely at streaming service providers overseas, and I suspect the series will have a well-defined arc and something close to a cliffhanger every week, which makes it more bingeable -although, once again, if you go right back to the show’s origins, William Hartnell’s Saturday teatime adventures almost always ended on a cliffhanger, even between stories.

Damien 06-09-2018 16:21

Yeah I doubt the BBC are too concerned about the viewing figures for the actual broadcast. It's a show whose audience is more likely than most to stream it.

papa smurf 06-09-2018 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35962462)
If they think being on too late is the enemy, then they’re going to have to go for the teatime slot before the news, which to be fair is where the classic series started out, albeit on a Saturday.

Doctor Who is far less vulnerable to lower broadcast ratings now than it used to be. Its catch-up ratings have always been ahead of the curve and it makes the BBC a mint in merchandising and overseas sales. I think the 60 minute format is aimed squarely at streaming service providers overseas, and I suspect the series will have a well-defined arc and something close to a cliffhanger every week, which makes it more bingeable -although, once again, if you go right back to the show’s origins, William Hartnell’s Saturday teatime adventures almost always ended on a cliffhanger, even between stories.

And always watched from behind the sofa at my Grandparents house.
i'm still terrified of bubble wrap and toilet plungers ;)

Paul 06-09-2018 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35962462)
if you go right back to the show’s origins, William Hartnell’s Saturday teatime adventures almost always ended on a cliffhanger, even between stories.

That was the case for most of the pre "new" series.
All the episodes I used to watch ended on a cliff hanger each week (3rd/4th/5th etc Doctors), and every story was generally 4 or 6 episodes as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35962471)
i'm still terrified of bubble wrap and toilet plungers ;)

Autons ! :cool:

Chris 06-09-2018 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35962474)
That was the case for most of the pre "new" series.
All the episodes I used to watch ended on a cliff hanger each week (3rd/4th/5th etc Doctors), and every story was generally 4 or 6 episodes as well.

Autons ! :cool:

The difference between Hartnell and all the rest of the classic era was that there was still a cliffhanger between the stories. In fact the stories themselves weren’t given overall titles until years later. The first ‘story’, which spanned the original show’s first 4 episodes, is now known as ‘An Unearthly Child’, because that happens to be the title of the first episode. However the second, six-part story, now commonly called ‘The Daleks’, doesn’t have an episode title by that name. Part one of that story is called ‘The Dead Planet’, and it is set up by the cliffhanger at the end of an episode called ‘The Firemakers’, which is An Unearthly Child part 4. At the end of this episode, the Tardis travels from prehistoric earth to Skaro, and the closing shot is the TARDIS’ radiation detector beginning to register the dangerous environment outside.

I suspect that they really are now setting the show up to exist as a bingeable streaming series, internationally at least, and if they start going for cliffhangers in between stories, or anything remotely like that, then I think that would suggest I’m right. However we will just have to wait and see. Not long now!

Paul 06-09-2018 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35962475)
The difference between Hartnell and all the rest of the classic era was that there was still a cliffhanger between the stories.

As I recall, this happened in at least one of the Jon Pertwee stories as well.

Frontier in Space, which led onto Planet of the Daleks.

Chris 06-09-2018 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35962492)
As I recall, this happened in at least one of the Jon Pertwee stories as well.

Frontier in Space, which led onto Planet of the Daleks.

Each regeneration episode in the classic era (as well as the modern) was also a cliffhanger. There were also story arcs in the classic series, which didn’t always have overt cliffhangers between stories but would pick up where the previous one left off.

The whole of Tom Baker’s first series (season 12), with the exception of Robot (his very first story) is an arc that starts and finishes on the same space station at two different points in time, interrupted by the Time Lords kidnapping the Doctor and sending him to Skaro to prevent the Genesis of the Daleks.

Season 16 was the Key to Time story arc which ran for the whole season; season 18 has the E-space trilogy, then the return of the Master who gets a trilogy that continues into season 19 and Peter Davison’s first outing. Actually that trilogy has a genuine cliffhanger linking each story - the Master is revealed in his new body at the end of the Keeper of Traken, plus of course there’s the small matter of the Doctor being thrown from a radio telescope by the Master at the end of Logopolis.

I have to stop here, missus’ eye rolling is getting unbearable...

Paul 07-09-2018 03:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35962495)
I have to stop here, missus’ eye rolling is getting unbearable...

:rofl:

Stephen 07-09-2018 06:25

I think the Sunday will work better if on before strictly.

I do remember the McCoy (7th doctor)era and possibly Colin Baker(6th), was for a while, on a Wednesday evening after Wogan. It was eventually on a Saturday between big break and Noel's house party.

I can't wait for its return.

Chris 07-09-2018 09:24

The whole Davison era was broadcast midweek, Mondays and Wednesdays IIRC. Early Colin was also, but then it reverted to Saturday in a new double length format. McCoy’s episodes were always midweek, one episode a week.

Also ... the Trial of a Time Lord was a single story for the whole season, with a cliffhanger at the end of every episode. The different segments of the trial were only given their own names later, for novelisation and VHS release. As originally broadcast the title card was Trial of a Time Lord, part 1-12.

Stephen 07-09-2018 09:49

As much as I love old Who stories, many of them with 4 or more parts were so full of filler that they did drag on a bit. I do miss the 2 part stories they had in previous recent series.

Some great episodes felt rushed trying to cram it all in to 40+ minutes.

Chris 07-09-2018 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35962533)
As much as I love old Who stories, many of them with 4 or more parts were so full of filler that they did drag on a bit. I do miss the 2 part stories they had in previous recent series.

Some great episodes felt rushed trying to cram it all in to 40+ minutes.

RTD always used to boast that there was as much story in a 40-minute nu-Who episode as there had been in a typical 4-part, 80-85 minutes in the classic era. He may well have been right, but my only consistent complaint about the show since its revival has been that the pace is a little too fast at times.

Dave42 20-09-2018 13:09

new official trailer

https://youtu.be/XCt6f1Ttmy4

Stephen 20-09-2018 13:17

What a brilliant trailer.

I am actually rather excited now. It looks fantastic.

Paul 20-09-2018 16:53

Weird aspect ratio on that, seems like almost 2.4:1

Chris 21-09-2018 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35963743)
Weird aspect ratio on that, seems like almost 2.4:1

I think a lot of high-End productions are being made in anamorphic theatrical aspect ratio now. You will often see a hint of letterboxing at the top and bottom of BBC dramas.

Stephen 21-09-2018 17:20

It may have been done just for the trailer and will be 16:9 on broadcast.

Either way it looks stunning and the shots used and special effects look almost movie like.

Chris 21-09-2018 20:42

No question it will be broadcast in 16:9, however it may well have been future-proofed by being shot in 2.39:1. An increasing number of the BBC’s prime dramas are showing a greater or lesser degree of letterboxing at the top and bottom of the screen, suggesting that they are being made in theatrical anamorphic and cropped for broadcast. It is of course entirely possible that they have cropped a 16:9 source to make the trailer look theatrical and impressive but given that the BBC seems to think theatrical aspect ratio for home viewing quality drama is where the industry will eventually go, its by no means certain.

Stephen 21-09-2018 20:52

Samsung did release such a cinema ratio TV a number of years ago but it never took off.

Still no confirmed broadcast time though. That may come next week.

Dave42 26-09-2018 14:51

Doctor Who Official

Verified account

@bbcdoctorwho
2m
2 minutes ago

More
The adventure begins Sunday 7th October.
UK: 18:45 on @BBCOne
US: 13:45 (EST) on @BBCAmerica.
Check local listings in other countries.

Paul 26-09-2018 15:32

The time has been available on Digiguide since Monday, when the listings updated. :)

Damien 26-09-2018 16:00

Why do they put it offset against the hour? Why not '7pm every sunday'?

Mr K 26-09-2018 17:50

tbh she looks like a children's TV presenter, not the Dr. ...
Have a feeling it might well be ok/good but won't be or have the feel of Dr Who any longer. More the Sarah Jane adventures. However, we'll see...

BenMcr 26-09-2018 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35964498)
Have a feeling it might well be ok/good but won't be or have the feel of Dr Who any longer. More the Sarah Jane adventures. However, we'll see...

Guess you don't remember just how young Matt Smith looked when he was announced as the Doctor:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...y/03/who.shtml

Mr K 26-09-2018 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35964500)
Guess you don't remember just how young Matt Smith looked when he was announced as the Doctor:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...y/03/who.shtml

Not really age that's the problem. Peter Davison was young and that worked. Matt Smith never did quite work for me, good actor that he is. Got to be convinced that it's the same person , which for this Dr is going to be extra difficult. Will she convince us she's an older version of Hartnell? Will she be threatening to give her companion a 'smacked bottom' like he did once ? (although tbf the old duffer probably went off script ;) )

Dude111 26-09-2018 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
The time has been available on Digiguide since Monday, when the listings updated. :)

I tell ya Paul,I really miss the original Dr. Who!!!

Damien 27-09-2018 08:43

First reviews are positive: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...iews-round-up/

Stephen 27-09-2018 09:09

Quote:

What does The Doctor look like?

Every Doctor has looked different. The second Doctor looked a lot different to Hartnell and am sure at the time people thought, who is this guy. He is a bit of a clown and doesn't seem like the same person.

It is a lighthearted family show after all. Its not a grown up adult SciFi show. It was created for families and children. Originally I am sure the premise was it was to be a historical show so people could learn stuff.

techguyone 27-09-2018 09:15

She looks to me like she could be David tennants sister around the face.

Chris 27-09-2018 21:45

A brief spoiler-free review in Empire suggests that they have indeed shot and will broadcast Who in 2.39:1, or something close to it.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...-spoiler-free/

Stuart 28-09-2018 10:35

Quote:

Personally, I'm waiting until I've seen it before I decide if it has the feel of Dr Who . It could be anywhere from absolutely awful to absolutely excellent. I won't know what I think of it until I've seen it. Even if it does turn out to be awful, I like to give new or rebooted shows a while to settle down, so I'll watch a few episodes, possibly the entire series.

It has an excellent writer for a showrunner though, who also did an excellent job with running Broadchurch, both of which give me high hopes. Jodie Whitaker is also, IMO, an excellent actress, although I've yet to see how she handles comedy (which is actually harder than drama to get right).

Stephen 28-09-2018 10:52

Well so far amost of the early previews have been very positive.

I am looking forward to it.

Rumour is that the new theme.credits won't be shown until the second episode and will be missing from the first one.

Damien 28-09-2018 15:32

Is it common for the BBC to give Who previews this far in advancing of airing? If it's anything like movies and computer games the earlier the embargo for the reviews the more confident the studios are....

BenMcr 28-09-2018 15:38

The launch seems to be about the same distance as Peter Capaldi's debut:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28690462

Launch event was on 7th August 2014, and broadcast on 23rd.

Websites were reviewing immediately after the launch event:
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-w...er-free-review

Stephen 28-09-2018 15:42

The premier was in a Sheffield cinema on Monday there.

All previews are very spoiler free as BBC asked all press to leave any story hints out of early reviews.

Stephen 28-09-2018 23:50

Stephen 29-09-2018 09:38

Having watched that clip a few times now I think Jodie is going to be fantastic.

"Half an hour ago I was a white haired Scotsman!"

She is the Doctor!

Chris 29-09-2018 13:13

Yep ... I saw it on Graham Norton last night. Within about 10 seconds it was obviously the Doctor. Whatever else she does with the part she obviously ‘gets’ what always makes the Doctor, the Doctor, regardless of regeneration.

Stephen 29-09-2018 13:21

Exactly. She has the post regeneration crazy and memory too a tee. While clearly I do still get vibes of capaldi off her.

Paul 30-09-2018 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35964722)
Well so far amost of the early previews have been very positive.

I never pay too much attention to reviews, I'll watch and judge for myself.

I'm curious about this ;

Quote:

Beyond looking and sounding lush, the 65-minute episode also has a lot of introducing to do
According to the TV listings, it only has a 1 hour slot :erm:

Damien 30-09-2018 09:34

I like that they kept the accent rather than go with a Southern one. I know it was always likely but you never know...

Mr K 30-09-2018 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35964943)
I like that they kept the accent rather than go with a Southern one. I know it was always likely but you never know...

The Americans will need subtitles ;)

Stuart 01-10-2018 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35964922)
I never pay too much attention to reviews, I'll watch and judge for myself.

I'm curious about this ;

According to the TV listings, it only has a 1 hour slot :erm:

They've probably said it has a lot to introduce as while it is an established show, it has 4 main characters to introduce. In the classic series, that would have been relatively easy, as apart from Tegan, Ace, Sarah Jane and Nyssa, the companions didn't really have much of a back story. Since the new series has appeared, the companions have all had a back story, although Steven Moffatt backed off on that, with Amy, Rory and Clara having less of a back story than Rose, Martha or Donna.

Paul 01-10-2018 15:40

I'm not if sure you got the point - how do you fit a 65 minute episode into a 1 hour slot ?