Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   General : TV Show Snippets & General Information (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13018)

Hugh 27-02-2008 22:03

Re: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other Snippets

I think he was proposing that people should value the right to vote, and not take it for granted (I don't agree with him, as I support Churchill's view on democracy).

Tezcatlipoca 27-02-2008 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognitas (Post 34497004)
So what did you think of Heinlein's idea that to be a citizen with the right to vote one should HAVE to serve in the armed forces before achieving citizenship and those that didn't should have no right to vote.

I don't agree with it.

Maggy 28-02-2008 00:36

My point is that nothing was ever really said or made of this point in the film and yet it was the entire point of the story.

Tezcatlipoca 28-02-2008 00:49

But it was mentioned in the movie, more than once...

I've never read the novel, but I know the movie is meant to be very different.

The movie, to me, came across as more than simply guts & gore, & had very interesting satire (also like Paul Verhoeven & Ed Neumeier's earlier RoboCop).

The Citizen/Civilian thing, the fascist military regime running the Federation, the rather Nazi-esque uniforms, the war itself, the MI itself...

Just checking Wikipedia...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia entry for "Starship Troopers (film)"
In his commentary on the DVD edition of the film, director Paul Verhoeven states unambiguously that the movie's message is "War makes fascists of us all", and that he sees the movie as a satire of American militarism. On the same commentary, screenwriter Ed Neumeier (who had previously worked with Verhoeven on RoboCop) broadly concurs, although he sees the satire as applying to the whole of human history, rather than solely to the U.S.

Since the filmmakers did not make these statements at the time of the film's release, viewers have interpreted it variously: as a satire, as a celebration of fascism, or as a simple tongue-in-cheek action film.

Maggy 28-02-2008 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34497106)
But it was mentioned in the movie, more than once...

I've never read the novel, but I know the movie is meant to be very different.

The movie, to me, came across as more than simply guts & gore, & had very interesting satire (also like Paul Verhoeven & Ed Neumeier's earlier RoboCop).

The Citizen/Civilian thing, the fascist military regime running the Federation, the rather Nazi-esque uniforms, the war itself, the MI itself...

Just checking Wikipedia...

Unfortunately I think perhaps the message was just too subtle for most and went over a lot of heads.I would imagine it was never even considered in number 2 at all.

Chris 28-02-2008 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognitas (Post 34497111)
Unfortunately I think perhaps the message was just too subtle for most and went over a lot of heads.I would imagine it was never even considered in number 2 at all.

Starship Troopers was a comic masterpiece. I watched it with the missus and her dad, we rolled about laughing. But, as you say, probably too subtle for many. :erm:

dilli-theclaw 28-02-2008 19:39

Terminator salvation to be released may '09 (first part in a new trilogy)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02..._release_date/

HHHmmm I don't look forward to it.

Maggy 28-02-2008 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson T (Post 34497568)
Terminator salvation to be released may '09 (first part in a new trilogy)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02..._release_date/

Some of the comments there are priceless...:rofl:

Quote:

"We must destroy Hollywood!"
Couldn't agree more. But can we wait until they've released Alien v Terminator v Predator v Batman Requiem, please?
And that was one of the more polite comments.

Paul 28-02-2008 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson T (Post 34497568)

Why not ?

dilli-theclaw 28-02-2008 20:13

Because number 3 was dire and I can't see it gettting any better.

Tezcatlipoca 28-02-2008 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 34497592)
Why not ?

"McG-helmed film" - guarantees crapness in my book.

"reinvent the cyborg saga" - it doesn't need reinventing!

Hom3r 28-02-2008 22:14

I was under the impression that the Bionic woman wasn't cancelled, just that the righters strike stop it.

Paul 28-02-2008 22:22

The Bionic Woman is dead, no more are planned to be made.

Paul 09-03-2008 17:37

The Sci-Fi channel have picked up the mini web series Sanctuary for a full 13 episode season.

As a result of Amanda Tapping doing the above, Carter will not be in charge for season 5 of Atlantis - instead, Woolsey will become the expedition leader. Also, Daniel Jackson will make several guest appearances, and Carson Beckett will be in five episodes. Elizabeth Weir is not expected to make any appearances.

The new Star Trek Movie, which was due at Xmas this year has now been postponed to May 2009.

The Sarah Jane Adventures has been renewed for a 12 episode season 2.

Pushing Daisies will return in the Autumn with a 13 episode Season 2

Heroes will return in the Autumn for Season 3, expected to be 22 episodes.

Battlestar Season 4 is likely to be split into two 10 episode blocks - the first 10 in April and the final 10 in the Autumn or Early 2009.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Primeval has been renewed for a 10 episode Season 3

Tezcatlipoca 09-03-2008 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 34503503)
The Sci-Fi channel have picked up the mini web series Sanctuary for a full 13 episode season.

As a result of Amanda Tapping doing the above, Carter will not be in charge for season 5 of Atlantis - instead, Woolsey will become the expedition leader. Also, Daniel Jackson will make several guest appearances, and Carson Beckett will be in five episodes. Elizabeth Weir is not expected to make any appearances.

Have you seen any of the Sanctuary web episodes? Any good? I had a look at the wikipedia entry yesterday & it sounds quite interesting.

No Weir in SGA... agh, so what are they going to do about the whole "Weir in charge of an Aurora class Replicator ship" thing, seen midway through season 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
Heroes will return in the Autumn for Season 3, expected to be 22 episodes.

Excellent :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
Battlestar Season 4 is likely to be split into two 10 episode blocks - the first 10 in April and the final 10 in the Autumn or Early 2009.

Agh, stupid over-long hiatus :(