Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   June 8th General Election (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704776)

Osem 10-05-2017 13:51

Re: June 8th General Election

Correct and anyone who had their eyes open and brain switched on in the 1970's will already know that. Not being a great student of political history, I have no idea when their nastiness really started but it hasn't gone away - scratch the surface and it's alive and prospering with Corbyn and McDonnell at the helm.

Osem 10-05-2017 22:29

Quote:

A draft of Labour's general election manifesto has been leaked, including plans to nationalise the energy industry and scrap tuition fees.
The BBC has seen a copy of the document, which has not yet been formally signed off, with the Mirror and the Daily Telegraph also reporting details.
These include nationalising railways, bus firms and the Royal Mail and renewing the Trident weapons system.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39877439

I imagine they'll claim it'll all be paid for by increasing taxes on companies and the rich - the very people who can easily shift themselves and their money elsewhere...

Same old Labour garbage.

Chris 10-05-2017 23:30

Nationalising the trains, the buses, Royal Mail, the gas and the electricity ... paid for with what, exactly?

Osem 10-05-2017 23:34

Here's Harpersons's hubby Jack Dromey explaining to Andrew Neil just how much Labour's corporation tax changes will bring in:

https://order-order.com/2017/05/10/j...ax-rise-bring/

:rofl:

Can someone explain why anyone would vote for these people. :shrug:

Gary L 10-05-2017 23:37

I wonder who's going to vote for Labour?

apart from everybody.

Osem 10-05-2017 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35898349)
Nationalising the trains, the buses, Royal Mail, the gas and the electricity ... paid for with what, exactly?

All that vastly overstated corporation tax revenue they've already spent many times over.

:D

Funny how Labour are acutely aware of the problem of so called tax havens which attract businesses by imposing lower rates of CT but don't seem to think that UK businesses would do the very same thing. :rolleyes:

Gary L 10-05-2017 23:42

Did anyone get a letter from Theresa begging for their vote?

passingbat 10-05-2017 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35898343)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39877439

I imagine they'll claim it'll all be paid for by increasing taxes on companies and the rich - the very people who can easily shift themselves and their money elsewhere...

Same old Labour garbage.

I think essential services should be publicly owned, So Rail, Energy, post and transport should be. To me it's a really dangerous move for the Chinese to be involved in the Hinkley Point software.

There isn't enough money in the pot to do it at the moment, Maybe May will add it to her 'to do in the future' list, now that she has dipped her toe in the state intervention game with energy prices :) I won't hold my breath though :D

Osem 10-05-2017 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35898356)
I think essential services should be publicly owned, So Rail, Energy, post and transport should be. To me it's a really dangerous move for the Chinese to be involved in the Hinkley Point software.

There isn't enough money in the pot to do it at the moment, Maybe May will add it to her 'to do in the future' list, now that she has dipped her toe in the state intervention game with energy prices :) I won't hold my breath though :D

Remember the days of British Rail and the GPO do you? ;)

denphone 11-05-2017 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35898355)
Did anyone get a letter from Theresa begging for their vote?

l did and like the other parties it was full of tripe , tripe and even more tripe so like the others it went in the bin..

Sirius 11-05-2017 05:56

Steven Hawkins once said that only time travel to the past would be possible, Labours manifesto intends to prove that statement by taking us back to the 70's.

Damien 11-05-2017 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35898357)

Other countries manage to have decent nationalised rail, some of them even own some of our franchises as well, and we also had to nationalise the track part after Railtrack after it collapsed and after there was a series of safety disasters. Even America has a nationalised rail network.

I don't think we should nationalise most things but rail is a natural monopoly. There any only be one provider for a given route so the intended benefits of privatisation, i.e competition, doesn't really work. The companies given franchises and there is little incentive for long term investment and they rarely get badly punished for poor performance.

To me it seems almost a religious obsession with either nationalisation or privatisation. People pick a side and then think everything should be one or the other. Privatisation his good because is good and more efficient no matter what it's applied too.

passingbat 11-05-2017 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35898357)

I'm talking about essential national services only. We live in uncertain times. Our essential infrastructure should not dependant on the ownership by foreign countries.

This is nothing to do with any form of political philosophy,

heero_yuy 11-05-2017 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35898363)
Steven Hawkins once said that only time travel to the past would be possible, Labours manifesto intends to prove that statement by taking us back to the 70's.

If you want a vision of Britain after 5 years of Corbyn think Venezuela but without oil. :(

papa smurf 11-05-2017 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35898363)

why so negative :shrug: on the plus side we only worked 3 days a week and only had to sit in the dark some of the time .:)