Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Chronicles of Rishi (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711430)

Dave42 24-10-2022 19:19

Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Iain Dale on LBC saying there is rumours of Jeremy Hunt be replaced as chancellor

Damien 24-10-2022 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36138346)
Iain Dale on LBC saying there is rumours of Jeremy Hunt be replaced as chancellor

That would be stupid but I guess Sunak at least has experience in the role so might have something specific instead.

Mick 24-10-2022 21:38

The website that deals with Tory member cancellations has crashed tonight.

Damien 24-10-2022 22:20

Will they care? They're not as dependent on individual members as the Labour Party is, they don't need their money.

Hugh 24-10-2022 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138337)
We can all pick and choose lines, Hugh.

I'm not quite sure that an appropriate description for someone who has actually held one of the Great Offices of State - during the economic turmoil of the pandemic of all times. I can think of 750 million reasons not to think Sunak will be a good PM but relative inexperience (compared to who?) isn't one of them.

Appropriate for someone who was appointed to be Johnson’s lapdog, when Javid resigned as Chancellor after refusing a demand from Johnson and Cummings that he dismiss his advisers.

Mick 24-10-2022 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36138360)
Will they care? They're not as dependent on individual members as the Labour Party is, they don't need their money.

They should, it’s the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.

Sephiroth 24-10-2022 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36138362)
They should, it’s the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.

I stopped assisting with local campaigns since 2017, but I've kept up my membership.

jfman 24-10-2022 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36138361)
Appropriate for someone who was appointed to be Johnson’s lapdog, when Javid resigned as Chancellor after refusing a demand from Johnson and Cummings that he dismiss his advisers.

This analysis conflates the circumstances of his appointment with his performance in the role and/or experience gained. The paradox being that he needs experience, but should delay stepping up so he only takes promotion on morally superior grounds? Under Johnson that's almost impossible.

Indeed if being appointed for circumstances other than doing Johnson's bidding would result in a very short tenure in any post. As Javid demonstrated. Twice.

I've no real interest in continuing a back and forth, as I say there's enough reasons to not like Rishi without adding this one to the list. The Tories need to draw a line under the past and to an extent that needs someone relatively new. I'd have preferred Penny to underline the past to move the party past Brexit to be an effective opposition to the next Labour government.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

Quote:

Fundamentally neither party gives a shit about the grass roots. Between the media and corporate interests there's enough money and influence around to keep the proletariat in check.

Damien 24-10-2022 22:45

Quote:

Maybe but again the Tories have never been a campaigning force on the ground. It's something they've tried to address with battle buses and so on but it's been difficult for them. They are usually more about the 'air war', i.e media campaigning.

Membership is more important for Labour as a higher % of their funding comes from them and they do depend on a lot of door-to-door campaigning.

It's one reason Labour are in trouble as they had two elections in three years which depleted funds and then lost a lot of members.

1andrew1 25-10-2022 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36138346)

Sky News saying Hunt will stay in position. Must be reassuring for the markets although Hunt was pretty much enacting Sunak's policies once he was appointed.

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36138366)
Maybe but again the Tories have never been a campaigning force on the ground. It's something they've tried to address with battle buses and so on but it's been difficult for them. They are usually more about the 'air war', i.e media campaigning.

Membership is more important for Labour as a higher % of their funding comes from them and they do depend on a lot of door-to-door campaigning.

It's one reason Labour are in trouble as they had two elections in three years which depleted funds and then lost a lot of members.

Labour have recovered a lot of membership recently
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election

RichardCoulter 25-10-2022 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36138331)
Looking forward to all that money from the north being diverted down south to help us poor Londoners out. After splashing out £550m for Bond Street Crossrail Station we're rather skint!

Well, during his last campaign to be leader/PM Sunak did say that he'd reduce funding for poorer areas and give it to more affluent areas.

Chris 25-10-2022 00:52

Amidst today’s excitement, it seems to have passed largely unnoticed that the 1922 Committee confirmed Boris actually did have 100 nominations and could have forced a contest had he chosen to.

https://order-order.com/2022/10/24/1...d-the-numbers/

He chose not to, after flying home. Why, is a matter of speculation.

jfman 25-10-2022 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138377)
Amidst today’s excitement, it seems to have passed largely unnoticed that the 1922 Committee confirmed Boris actually did have 100 nominations and could have forced a contest had he chosen to.

:rofl: Guido.

So we are trusting the word of one person who spoke to another person? (a Boris supporter?- an 80% chance according to Guido for person 2, but only 20% for person one on anything independently verified :rofl:) that paperwork for a nomination entirely hypothetical actually existed.

Do they fax them in one by one?

The election of President Xi to his third term is objectively more transparent and more credible.

Damien 25-10-2022 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138377)

I guess to gave in to the pressure not to stand then? If he had a 102 then the prospect of scrapping though and winning the job with such little support actually did give him 2nd thoughts.

Chris 25-10-2022 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36138378)
:rofl: Guido.

So we are trusting the word of one person who spoke to another person? (a Boris supporter?- an 80% chance according to Guido for person 2, but only 20% for person one on anything independently verified :rofl:) that paperwork for a nomination entirely hypothetical actually existed.

Do they fax them in one by one?

The election of President Xi to his third term is objectively more transparent and more credible.

I appreciate this news demolishes your own pet theory, however Guido has put a named MP member on the record who in turn has named the 1922’s joint secretary. There’s more than enough explicit finger-pointing there for, at the very least, an indignant tweet from those concerned, if it’s untrue or inaccurate.

Don’t take it personally. In the end all any of us is doing is speculation and educated guesswork, your personal prestige isn’t on the line for guessing wrong.