Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : TV price rises (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685160)

m419 03-02-2012 11:55

Re: TV price rises

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35374649)
As announced all 10Mbit customers go to 20Mbit

They probably misread it then, because double means double and 10+10 is not 30 :D

LexDiamond 03-02-2012 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35374591)
Is that £2 increase on XL aswell as the TiVo increase going up to £5? Also is the TiVo £5 fee per box?

It is £5 for new customers only for Tivo.

BenMcr 03-02-2012 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35374655)
It is £5 for new customers only for Tivo.

New boxes, not new customers. So if you, as an existing customer, add another TiVo box after the end of Feb, that new box will have a £5 TiVo fee whilst your existing box(es) will keep the £3 fee

m419 03-02-2012 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374634)
Do you mean a "large company" in th cable business, that would be Comcast in the USA

Also who do you think would by Virgin Mobile, would the be 3 or Vodaphone?

Yes a large cable company like Comcast, there are many cable firms in the USA and Canada.

Possibly Cable and Wireless Worldwide as they have been recently on a spree of buying out large telecoms firms like Thus and Energis. They are always trying to find new ways to compete with larger rivals and to offer businesses complete business telecoms products. They don't seem keen on the residential side of things though after the disaster with Bulldog Broadband.

No carphone warehouse possibly because they own it in France. 3 would not be interested because for a start, many Virgin Mobile customers may be just 2G users and Richard branson will want the new owners to keep the Virgin name and possibly own a share in it just like most Virgin companies. 3 would want to use there own brand.

Vodafone would not be interested either because again they wouldn't want to associate with Virgin not after what happened in Qutar. I don't think they would be allowed to either by the competition commision, possibly Everything Everywhere could take over since they do already have some say in the company.

Rivva 03-02-2012 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35374585)
10mb is going up to 30mb that is on the VM website

I don't know about it being on the website but yes it is going up from 10-30MB as mentioned in my post #180.

m419 03-02-2012 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivva (Post 35374667)
I don't know about it being on the website but yes it is going up from 10-30MB as mentioned in my post #180.

I doubt so, but it would be a good idea on the marketing side

BenMcr 03-02-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivva (Post 35374667)

The retier will be from 10 > 20 because to go to 30Mbit will require a SuperHub

It may be Virgin's plan to offer a further increase from 20 > 30Mbit to those customers, but that hasn't been detailed yet

m419 03-02-2012 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35374672)
The retier will be from 10 > 20 because to go to 30Mbit will require a SuperHub

It may be Virgin's plan to offer a further increase from 20 > 30Mbit to those customers, but that hasn't been detailed yet

That's what I had in mind because I know some people who still have the Motorola Surfboard modem and they are still using a USB as well which means there speed won't get very far, i've told them to use a Ethernet cable but they just won't!

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374660)
Yes a large cable company like Comcast, there are many cable firms in the USA and Canada.

Possibly Cable and Wireless Worldwide as they have been recently on a spree of buying out large telecoms firms like Thus and Energis. They are always trying to find new ways to compete with larger rivals and to offer businesses complete business telecoms products. They don't seem keen on the residential side of things though after the disaster with Bulldog Broadband.

No carphone warehouse possibly because they own it in France. 3 would not be interested because for a start, many Virgin Mobile customers may be just 2G users and Richard branson will want the new owners to keep the Virgin name and possibly own a share in it just like most Virgin companies. 3 would want to use there own brand.

Vodafone would not be interested either because again they wouldn't want to associate with Virgin not after what happened in Qutar. I don't think they would be allowed to either by the competition commision, possibly Everything Everywhere could take over since they do already have some say in the company.

Cable and Wireless Worldwide is in financial trouble so no, but Comcast, Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications might!

m419 03-02-2012 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374679)
Cable and Wireless Worldwide is in financial trouble so no, but Comcast, Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications might!

They've always been in trouble, sometimes acquiring something else and moving into a new sector and disposing of what they are doing wrong can sometimes help.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374685)
They've always been in trouble, sometimes acquiring something else and moving into a new sector and disposing of what they are doing wrong can sometimes help.

From Virgin Media to to C&W Cable!

BenMcr 03-02-2012 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374685)

Except they've been there done that.

Also there is no point buying a business and then having no real money to do anything with it

Hugh 03-02-2012 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374660)

C&W already did it, 15 years ago
Quote:

The most significant restructuring of the UK telecommunications industry since the advent of competition five years ago was unveiled by Cable & Wireless yesterday with a pounds 5bn deal to merge its British subsidiary, Mercury, with three of the largest cable operators, Nynex CableComms, Bell Cablemedia and Videotron.
Then sold it five years later to NTL.

m419 03-02-2012 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374688)
From Virgin Media to to C&W Cable!

The Virgin name will remain in replace and act like seperate entity, the idea is that Cable and Wireless Worldwide has a widespread infrastructure and an international one at that, so if it was one company, there would be no piggy backing on BT for certain things. And wouldn't Cable and Wireless like to offer its business customers 100mb broadband ect...

I'm sure C&W still provide emergency services,101 and operator assistance for Virgin Media and T-Mobile users.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374700)
The Virgin name will remain in replace and act like seperate entity, the idea is that Cable and Wireless Worldwide has a widespread infrastructure and an international one at that, so if it was one company, there would be no piggy backing on BT for certain things. And wouldn't Cable and Wireless like to offer its business customers 100mb broadband ect...

I'm sure C&W still provide emergency services,101 and operator assistance for Virgin Media and T-Mobile users.

You know what, that is a great idea! :angel:

Take that BT/BskyB!

m419 03-02-2012 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35374699)
C&W already did it, 15 years ago Then sold it five years later to NTL.

It is a different age now, then there was less interest in pay tv and high speed internet. I heard the only reason C&W sold it to NTL was because Telewest wouldn't sell up to C&W.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/394952.stm

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374705)
It is a different age now, then there was less interest in pay tv and high speed internet. I heard the only reason C&W sold it to NTL was because Telewest wouldn't sell up to C&W.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/394952.stm

Well I agree, maybe a takover/merge of Virgin Media can work, but in the end C&W Worldwide might end up being taken over by Virgin Media itself!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...dwide-break-up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/m...dwide-bid-talk

Joedm45 03-02-2012 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35374659)
New boxes, not new customers. So if you, as an existing customer, add another TiVo box after the end of Feb, that new box will have a £5 TiVo fee whilst your existing box(es) will keep the £3 fee

Hi Ben. I assume a 2nd box after Feb will be £5 TiVo + multiroom costs? Is it still £6.50 or has it gone up :confused:

If so then it brings it more or less in line with Sky Multiroom. Bang goes another USP for VM :(

BenMcr 03-02-2012 13:34

Yes it will be £11.50 for an additional TiVo past 28th Feb

mentalis 03-02-2012 13:52

Looks like a lot of people are not happy about the price rises: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...rice-hike.html

denphone 03-02-2012 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mentalis (Post 35374747)
Looks like a lot of people are not happy about the price rises: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...rice-hike.html

Yes there is a lot of happiness about the forthcoming prices but if people are unhappy then they have a choice to make but remember the grass is not always greener on the other side.

New to cable 03-02-2012 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35374728)
Hi Ben. I assume a 2nd box after Feb will be £5 TiVo + multiroom costs? Is it still £6.50 or has it gone up :confused:

If so then it brings it more or less in line with Sky Multiroom. Bang goes another USP for VM :(

Virgin a great USP, Every TiVo is connected to a 10Mb broadband connection and is capable of running "Apps". I'm just not sure that Virginmedia know how to exploit it.

Netflix, Crackle, Love-film etc should be there NOW, They should also consider a cheap connected box like an apple TV that they include with all broadband connection 50mb or higher.

I would buy a cheap VMtv box that had no activation fee but simply allowed me to get Netflix/Love-film apps ect. Maybe with the option to add some tv is I wanted.

It wouldn't need a hard-drive, VM should get the jump on this and do it now, its the future....I'm just not sure TiVo hasn't arrived just a little too late unless they start filling it with USEFUL apps.

I'm no expert in this field and I know VM will have people who are, but "Instant" Ondemand is the future and VM can deliver it now, Just make sure they have the best content and get a head start.

kop32 03-02-2012 14:01

As the price hike for the TiVo service will go up by 66% can anyone tell us what is to be included/added to warrant such a significant rise?,I'm sure a few Apps here and there will not be of much comfort to TiVo subscribers added to the price rise of their TV,Broadband and in most cases phone service charges.

New to cable 03-02-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35374751)
As the price hike for the TiVo service will go up by 66% can anyone tell us what is to be included/added to warrant such a significant rise?,I'm sure a few Apps here and there will not be of much comfort to TiVo subscribers added to the price rise of their TV,Broadband and in most cases phone service charges.

If you got the F1 Channel, Sky Atlantic, the extra itvHD channels and some quality ondemand streaming subscription services and the free streaming services like Crackle would you be happy?

I have no idea what you'll get just wondering.

andy_m 03-02-2012 14:10

Anyone else get the impression that Virgin have overpaid for Tivo and it's beginning to bite them a bit? The original £3 charge per account quickly became per box, and now the rise to a fiver has really made me think twice about a second box, something which until this week I was definitely going to do once multi room streaming is activated.

What's annoying is it's supposed to be for the epg, and it doesn't matter how many stb's I have, I only really need one of them!

kop32 03-02-2012 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35374757)
If you got the F1 Channel, Sky Atlantic, the extra itvHD channels and some quality ondemand streaming subscription services and the free streaming services like Crackle would you be happy?

I have no idea what you'll get just wondering.

Dosnt really bother me as I am on Sky+ HD with multi-room (I must add I do still have a V+HD box and M+ TV which I much prefer to the TiVo),my question was aimed at those people with a TiVo or who are thinking of getting one.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 14:13

Lets hope the service improves!

denphone 03-02-2012 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374761)
Lets hope the service improves!

l am sure it will.

kop32 03-02-2012 14:29

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374763)
l am sure it will.

m419 03-02-2012 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374711)
Well I agree, maybe a takover/merge of Virgin Media can work, but in the end C&W Worldwide might end up being taken over by Virgin Media itself!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...dwide-break-up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/m...dwide-bid-talk

Virgin Media would never be able to afford that unless they go back to old tricks borrowing money like there's no tomorow.

By the way there are 2 Cable and Wireless companies now that they have demerged, the one we've been talking about is the one that runs the UK operation and owned the former cable business here in the UK, the other is Cable and Wireless Communications.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374777)
Virgin Media would never be able to afford that unless they go back to old tricks borrowing money like there's no tomorow.

By the way there are 2 Cable and Wireless companies now that they have demerged, the one we've been talking about is the one that runs the UK operation and owned the former cable business here in the UK, the other is Cable and Wireless Communications.

Cable and Wireless Communications provides Telecommunication services in Panama, Macau, Caribbean, Monaco, Maldives, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

m419 03-02-2012 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374780)
Cable and Wireless Communications provides Telecommunication services in Panama, Macau, Caribbean, Monaco, Maldives, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

Exactly, a new UK operation for themselves, however, after reading that document it looks like the mobile networks are after the UK arm of C&W Worldwide. Imagine if Virgin Media did takeover it, they would be able to reach businesses and possibly homes in the black spot areas like Westminster and City of London where Virgin Media is short of infrastructure and areas where it is very difficult to expand into because of planning laws.

denphone 03-02-2012 15:08

l thought there was author in there somewhere and perhaps now it the time for you to pen a little book for us to browse on this forum:D.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374784)
Exactly, a new UK operation for themselves, however, after reading that document it looks like the mobile networks are after the UK arm of C&W Worldwide. Imagine if Virgin Media did takeover it, they would be able to reach businesses and possibly homes in the black spot areas like Westminster and City of London where Virgin Media is short of infrastructure and areas where it is very difficult to expand into because of planning laws.

Could Virgin Media launch IPTV, 40-80 meg Broadband and phone serivice to VM Blackspots via BT Infinity or Takeove/Merger with C&W Worldwide

m419 03-02-2012 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374790)
Could Virgin Media launch IPTV, 40-80 meg Broadband and phone serivice to VM Blackspots via BT Infinity or Takeove/Merger with C&W Worldwide

They could but BT will make it difficult and costly on purpose, the Cable and Wireless network possibly so, but bare in mind that mostly covers streets in cities and town centres where businesses are likely to be present, with Virgin Media, it is mostly the opposite way round, they cover mostly residential streets and some business areas, it was built for that reason to simply deliver Cable TV to homes, as time has gone on, more can be delivered through its network like Broadband internet and Telephone services.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374795)
They could but BT will make it difficult and costly on purpose, the Cable and Wireless network possibly so, but bare in mind that mostly covers streets in cities and town centres where businesses are likely to be present, with Virgin Media, it is mostly the opposite way round, they cover mostly residential streets and some business areas, it was built for that reason to simply deliver Cable TV to homes, as time has gone on, more can be delivered through its network like Broadband internet and Telephone services.

Well lets hope a Virgin Media/C&W Worldwide merger is on the horizon!

muppetman11 03-02-2012 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35374728)

Exactly another massive USP gone , from March 12 a Multiroom PVR on VM will cost £1.25 more than on Sky that's a very brave move.

gba93 03-02-2012 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374749)
Yes there is a lot of happiness about the forthcoming prices but if people are unhappy then they have a choice to make but remember the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Certainly not on the dark side :dozey:

denphone 03-02-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35374812)
Certainly not on the dark side :dozey:

Better ask Muppetman about that universe.:)

gba93 03-02-2012 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374816)
Better ask Muppetman about that universe.:)

I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet ;)

devilincarnate 03-02-2012 17:04

It is only money? If you cannot afford it cancel if you can stop moaning and just deal with it?

Light the blue touch paper and stand well back?

denphone 03-02-2012 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35374839)
It is only money? If you cannot afford it cancel if you can stop moaning and just deal with it?

Light the blue touch paper and stand well back?

But it is in the human mentality to moan and some will moan more then others Devil and they are entitled to have a moan and if they are so unhappy with the price rises then they have a decision to make and that is do l go to another provider or do l stay.:)

eugene 03-02-2012 20:27

I think Virgin have to cover their costs as everyone says they want new channels. I do question however the TiVO price rise as it seems to discourage people taking it up. I don't have it yet and have to say the price rise is off putting. I think long term it would be better if Virgin went back in to the channel owning area unless that is that Sky are forced to seperate their operations.

Joedm45 03-02-2012 20:37

One of the disappointing things with the TiVo price rise is that the V+ is no longer available for new customers so if you want a PVR from VM you will automatically have to pay an extra £5 on top of the usual XL TV price :(

Mr K 03-02-2012 20:39

Just asked the head honcho on the support forum to give a guarantee that the £5 per TiVo charge wouldn't be rolled out to all customers this year. He didn't give any guarantee. Nuff said.

denphone 03-02-2012 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35374988)
Just asked the head honcho on the support forum to give a guarantee that the £5 per TiVo charge wouldn't be rolled out to all customers this year. He didn't give any guarantee. Nuff said.

Well if existing customers who are paying the £3 fee at present see this go up to £5 then there will considerable unhappiness one would imagine.:td:

BenMcr 03-02-2012 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35374988)
He didn't give any guarantee. Nuff said.

To be honest, there was no chance he would. All that any company (big or small) can do is tell you whether there are any current plans to do something. Company plans can and do change

At present there are no plans to change the pricing of TiVo for existing boxes.

borrissey 03-02-2012 21:04

So much for the £3 TiVo fee being dropped eventually, it's going up instead to £5.

piquet41 03-02-2012 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374990)
Well if existing customers who are paying the £3 fee at present see this go up to £5 then there will considerable unhappiness one would imagine.:td:

Well as long as they don't pass on those charges to existing V+ customers forceing them in effect to "Upgrade" to the TiVo boxes.

I just had a letter today saying my package will increase by £4.50pm. Adding another £5.00pm would make that a very hefty monthly increase. I'm affraid that even being with cable since 1994, this would seriously leave me looking at bog standard Freeview..... Shame, there you go. I will of course keep a watchful eye to see what VM will be bringing to us this year including TV channels.

Mr K 03-02-2012 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35374999)
To be honest, there was no chance he would. All that any company (big or small) can do is tell you whether there are any current plans to do something. Company plans can and do change

At present there are no plans to change the pricing of TiVo for existing boxes.

'At present no plans' usually means it'll deffo happen. Another price rise will come September time when the early TiVo adopters have signed up for another year and they'll hope we've forgotten about the first rise.

Hugh 03-02-2012 21:18

You must be so much fun on a night out......:D

Mr K 03-02-2012 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35375012)
You must be so much fun on a night out......:D

Wouldn't you like to know. I'm taken for, Tubbs is my only true love :p:

borrissey 03-02-2012 21:21

The £2 price rise will be worth it if we get new HD channels.

Hugh 03-02-2012 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35375016)
Wouldn't you like to know. I'm taken for, Tubbs is my only true love :p:

But Crockett begins with a 'C', not a 'K'.....;)

andy_m 03-02-2012 22:13

On the basis that a price rise gives you the chance to cancel the service, and they've discontinued the alternative, I don't see it happening.

Bananaman_007 03-02-2012 23:17

I am going to be having an interesting chat with VM tomorrow, they can keep their spam, junk mail and the fact that after 18 months still can't spell my name.

jb66 04-02-2012 07:31

To be honest, I'd struggle to spell Mr Bananaman

Doz007 04-02-2012 07:40

I've still not recieved an email, could this be a sign that the VIP50 package will remain the same price?

Wishful thinking I know. :)

denphone 04-02-2012 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35375232)
I've still not recieved an email, could this be a sign that the VIP50 package will remain the same price?

Definitely l think.

James79 04-02-2012 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35375232)

I've been away for a few days and came back to all this talk. Received a letter from VM stating the price will increase by £4.50. I see the TV XL package is increasing by £2 but can't find anything about where the rest of the increase is coming from!

I recently upgraded to VIP50 (not TiVo) and also have 2 additional VHD boxes (one included free with VIP pack).

borrissey 04-02-2012 12:31

I wonder if multiroom will go up also?

denphone 04-02-2012 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrissey (Post 35375367)

Good question and l am sure one of the Virgin lads will quickly answer that.

borrissey 04-02-2012 12:42

I did save £7 back in October when they dropped the HD premium charge per box.

James79 04-02-2012 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrissey (Post 35375367)

By the look of my increase, multiroom has all the hallmarks of having gone up.

borrissey 04-02-2012 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by James79 (Post 35375385)
By the look of my increase, multiroom has all the hallmarks of having gone up.

Could put quite a bit more on my bill then if Sky movies and sports go up also.

denphone 04-02-2012 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrissey (Post 35375549)
Could put quite a bit more on my bill then if Sky movies and sports go up also.

Well we will get that price increase announced later in the year and l expect a £2 price rise there as well knowing Sky.

ian1969uk 04-02-2012 17:27

£3.50 a month increase for me.

If they want to increase the prices, they can get shot of the adverts on music on demand!!!!

borrissey 04-02-2012 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian1969uk (Post 35375582)
£3.50 a month increase for me.

If they want to increase the prices, they can get shot of the adverts on music on demand!!!!

Is that £3.50, £2 XL TV and £1.50 for BB?

richard1960 04-02-2012 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrissey (Post 35375605)
Is that £3.50, £2 XL TV and £1.50 for BB?

Yes i think £2 for TVXL and £1.50 for broadband L.

paultrademark 04-02-2012 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35375610)
Yes i think £2 for TVXL and £1.50 for broadband L.

Thats what ours was

richard1960 04-02-2012 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35375642)
Thats what ours was

I have not got the letter through yet but i take TVXL and BBL so i am expecting a rise in that region myself.

Chad 04-02-2012 18:30

I'm considering some drastic changes to my package, when eligible, which will save a substantial amount of money each month.

I'm going from 50mb broadband down to 10mb, which is set to be upped to 30mb in my area in May. I'm getting rid of the home phone land-line completely and getting one of Virgins pay monthly mobile deals for £10.99 each month. Me and wife will then both have Virgin mobiles and can call each other for free. I'm going to get rid of SKY Sports / Movies HD too. In total I'll be saving about £35.00 per month, mainly from not using a Virgin land-line, without any real significant changes to my services. I'll still have broadband at a great speed, still have SKY Sports and SKY Movies and will still have access to a phone.

I currently pay Virgin about £135.00 each month for my TV, Broadband and Telephone. There comes a point when you've got to give yourself a slap and question why your spending £166.80 phone line rental a year, when you hardly use the phone, or £84.00 HD charge per year when you maybe only watch 1 or 2 hours of premium SKY HD programming in the day. Also I have no idea why I have 50mb broadband. I don't really download anything and it's only me and the wife who use it. In fact I might drop the extra box in the bedroom too as most nights, if we do watch anything, it's either Family Guy on BBC3 or some reality show like TOWIE etc....

It's not that I have a gripe about rising prices, it just made me look at what I'm paying for more closely. VIP50 is a great package, but I only really use about 70% of what's actually in my package.

New to cable 04-02-2012 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35375552)
Well we will get that price increase announced later in the year and l expect a £2 price rise there as well knowing Sky.

Knowing Sky? Well knowing Sky who knows what will happen, Last year they reduced my HD multiroom fee from £10.25 to £0.00, also they haven't had a price increase since 2010.

They also gave us Sky Atlantic free- If they do give a £1/£2 price increase I won't be complaining- I will see it as going towards the F1-HD channel so definitely worth it to me.

But Virginmedia customer with a bundle still get a pretty good deal to be fair.

James79 04-02-2012 18:35

As my increase was stated as £4.50, I would guess that TV XL is increasing by £2 (as already stated on here) and BB XXL (50MB) will be increasing by £2.50, unless of course there is an increase in regard to additional STBs!!

denphone 04-02-2012 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by James79 (Post 35375653)
As my increase was stated as £4.50, I would guess that TV XL is increasing by £2 (as already stated on here) and BB XXL (50MB) will be increasing by £2.50, unless of course there is an increase in regard to additional STBs!!

Lets hope there is not a additional increase to extra STB's as if there is then one might have to go for many people.

Digital Fanatic 04-02-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35375655)
Lets hope there is not a additional increase to extra STB's as if there is then one might have to go for many people.

I've not heard of any increases on them Den.

denphone 04-02-2012 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35375722)
I've not heard of any increases on them Den.

Thanks DF.:)

jb66 04-02-2012 20:34

I think the TiVo fee is redicioulous! TiVo is better than v+ but not £5 a month better

denphone 04-02-2012 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35375744)
I think the TiVo fee is redicioulous! TiVo is better than v+ but not £5 a month better

Yes in my mind the £5 fee for new Tivo subscribers is unwise and unjustified to say the least.:td:

richard1960 04-02-2012 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35375651)
I'm considering some drastic changes to my package, when eligible, which will save a substantial amount of money each month.

I'm going from 50mb broadband down to 10mb, which is set to be upped to 30mb in my area in May. I'm getting rid of the home phone land-line completely and getting one of Virgins pay monthly mobile deals for £10.99 each month. Me and wife will then both have Virgin mobiles and can call each other for free. I'm going to get rid of SKY Sports / Movies HD too. In total I'll be saving about £35.00 per month, mainly from not using a Virgin land-line, without any real significant changes to my services. I'll still have broadband at a great speed, still have SKY Sports and SKY Movies and will still have access to a phone.

I currently pay Virgin about £135.00 each month for my TV, Broadband and Telephone. There comes a point when you've got to give yourself a slap and question why your spending £166.80 phone line rental a year, when you hardly use the phone, or £84.00 HD charge per year when you maybe only watch 1 or 2 hours of premium SKY HD programming in the day. Also I have no idea why I have 50mb broadband. I don't really download anything and it's only me and the wife who use it. In fact I might drop the extra box in the bedroom too as most nights, if we do watch anything, it's either Family Guy on BBC3 or some reality show like TOWIE etc....

It's not that I have a gripe about rising prices, it just made me look at what I'm paying for more closely. VIP50 is a great package, but I only really use about 70% of what's actually in my package.

Shocking you watch TOWIE,:shocked::shocked::shocked:

But i do agree with you though the way you worked it out you can save a substantial amount each month,to be honest the only reason i keep my home phone is because on my package the big discount taking the phone line makes it worthwhile to take the basic phone line package.

muppetman11 05-02-2012 10:42

Quote:

VIRGIN Media is expected to reveal that its customer base stabilised towards the end of last year, confirming that the big players in the highly-competitive television, broadband and telephone market are entrenching their positions.

The company, which will reveal its fourth-quarter and full-year results on Wednesday, is expected to have added few new users to its cable TV network, but should make up for that by selling more products to existing customers.

Rival BSkyB reported a similar trend last week, saying that hard-pressed customers were keen to take advantage of the value offered by all-inclusive packages for TV, internet and telephony. It also announced new services, including a “superfast” broadband offering that takes it into competition with one of Virgin’s best-selling lines.

Peel Hunt analyst Patrick Yau said Sky’s offering is “priced keenly” and could put further pressure on Virgin costs. Carriage fees on new channels announced last week will also add to Virgin’s wholesale costs for carrying Sky content.

He added: “One area the company has only recently been pushing is its business product, as it is using its fibre network during the day to provide service to the business segment of the market.”

Yau expects Virgin to announce revenues of just under £4 billion for 2011, a slight rise on the year before. He said operating cash flow is the company’s key metric, which he forecasts at £1.56bn, up from £1.51bn a year ago.
http://www.scotsman.com/business/int...ival_1_2097376

Simon G 05-02-2012 10:58

They are probably raising the Tivo price to £5 for new customers/boxes to be able to offer the boxes for free installation and activation without annoying people who paid these fees previously.

denphone 05-02-2012 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35375927)

It will be interesting to hear what is said when they reveal their quarter figures on wednesday and what their plans are for the rest of the year as l am sure they will have several things up their sleeves to appease some disgruntled customers who are unhappy with the recently announced planned prices rises which will come into force on the 1st of April.

Chad 05-02-2012 11:37

SKY and BT Vision keep on adding new TV customers yet Virgin, with their TiVo box, just seem to have plateaued. It would appear TV customers are looking for the widest selection of content or really good value when choosing their TV provider at the moment.

Looks like Virgin need to up their game as their TV uptake has been stagnant for almost 12 months now. With YouView launching in the next few months with their own free 7 catch-up service for terrestrial TV, apps for the likes of Lovefilm and TV on demand content the market is only going to get tougher. By all intents and purposes, YouViews box will be able to do about 80% of what TiVo does without any monthly fee.

Virgin need to deliver all missing non-SKY HD channels, more linear channels and more exclusive on demand content if they want to continue their growth in 2012 - 2013.

Helix 05-02-2012 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35375941)
It will be interesting to hear what is said when they reveal their quarter figures on wednesday and what their plans are for the rest of the year as l am sure they will have several things up their sleeves to appease some disgruntled customers who are unhappy with the recently announced planned prices rises which will come into force on the 1st of April.

Anything they do announce will be 'coming soon' and will come months after the price increases. Is always the way with Virgin Media.

Dave42 05-02-2012 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35375957)
SKY and BT Vision keep on adding new TV customers yet Virgin, with their TiVo box, just seem to have plateaued. It would appear TV customers are looking for the widest selection of content or really good value when choosing their TV provider at the moment.

Looks like Virgin need to up their game as their TV uptake has been stagnant for almost 12 months now. With YouView launching in the next few months with their own free 7 catch-up service for terrestrial TV, apps for the likes of Lovefilm and TV on demand content the market is only going to get tougher. By all intents and purposes, YouViews box will be able to do about 80% of what TiVo does without any monthly fee.

Virgin need to deliver all missing non-SKY HD channels, more linear channels and more exclusive on demand content if they want to continue their growth in 2012 - 2013.

what do you expect VM to do when sky are with holding the channels as proven by lack of sky sports 3+4HD and F1 HD and atlantic not VM fault sky are with holding channels

muppetman11 05-02-2012 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35376004)
what do you expect VM to do when sky are with holding the channels as proven by lack of sky sports 3+4HD and F1 HD and atlantic not VM fault sky are with holding channels

I'd have liked to see VM keep hold of the VMTV channels they'd already done a good job with Living and introduced Living HD and their other channels had some decent shows meaning they could also have gone HD , it seems now they are too reliant on Sky.

Dave42 05-02-2012 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35376013)
I'd have liked to see VM keep hold of the VMTV channels they'd already done a good job with Living and introduced Living HD and their other channels had some decent shows meaning they could also have gone HD , it seems now they are too reliant on Sky.

yes but VM would never have got the sky premium HD channels without the sale MM that what most VM customers complained about when we didnt have them

nstokes 05-02-2012 12:45

i dont like the pay increase ethier but at the end of the day everything is going up no matter what it is. Yes they havnt added anything new yet but give them time and they may do. Its not worth saying its VM fault or saying there bad as it makes no difference. TBF how many of us actaully watch EVERY SINGLE channel we have now, i dont. So lets just take it all as it comes and deal with it. Pay increases are a way of life

muppetman11 05-02-2012 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35376015)
yes but VM would never have got the sky premium HD channels without the sale MM that what most VM customers complained about when we didnt have them

I believe they would have at some point , Smallworld customers now have access to them. Being too reliant for content from your leading competitor can't be a good situation.

Dave42 05-02-2012 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35376020)
I believe they would have at some point , Smallworld customers now have access to them. Being too reliant for content from your leading competitor can't be a good situation.

totally agree but VM or anyone else don't have the money to compete with sky sadly MM so not much can be done to that changes

denphone 05-02-2012 12:52

Quote:

Exactly MM.:tu:

Digital Fanatic 05-02-2012 13:28

Quote:

TBF, I don't think they would have.. Sky wouldn't see SmallWorld as a major competitor like they do with VM.

muppetman11 05-02-2012 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35376053)
TBF, I don't think they would have.. Sky wouldn't see SmallWorld as a major competitor like they do with VM.

I respect your opinion DF , I suppose it's one thing none of us can be 100% sure on however I'd have liked VM to further develop the VMTV channels possibly taking them all to HD it would have also then allowed VM to have numerous channels content available on the go without lengthy expensive discussions and reliance on a big competitor.

Digital Fanatic 05-02-2012 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35376059)
I respect your opinion DF , I suppose it's one thing none of us can be 100% sure on however I'd have liked VM to further develop the VMTV channels possibly taking them all to HD it would have also then allowed VM to have numerous channels content available on the go without lengthy expensive discussions and reliance on a big competitor.

Yeah, there would have been benefits from having still owned the VMtv Channels, but I think VM saw more value in gaining the HD Sports/Movies/HD channels from Sky.

Oops! we are going off topic here! :D

denphone 05-02-2012 14:08

One question for you DF and that is is the planned TV price rises planned for April paying for channels we have received in the past 6 to 12 months or are these price rises paying for planned TV channels launches in the next couple of months?.:)

Chad 05-02-2012 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35376004)

What are you talking about? What I posted stated "Virgin need to deliver all missing non-SKY HD channels"

I'm asking for Virgin to deliver all the missing channels that are NOT owned by SKY. I fully understand that Virgin won't get certain HD channels from SKY.

Digital Fanatic 05-02-2012 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35376092)
One question for you DF and that is is the planned TV price rises planned for April paying for channels we have received in the past 6 to 12 months or are these price rises paying for planned TV channels launches in the next couple of months?.:)

Not sure Den, but at a guess I'd say it was for future services.

denphone 05-02-2012 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35376149)
Not sure Den, but at a guess I'd say it was for future services.

Now don't get our hopes up too high DF.:D

tridens 05-02-2012 16:48

Hi i found this about the price increase

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...uspart=DMail_3