Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Application Throttling/Management (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33634787)

nffc 02-07-2008 18:36

Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 34590179)
depends on the game. It seems to be around 50Kilobits/s on halo3 and it jumps up a fair bit when there's a lot going on, say 400 - 500Kps.

But it was hard to tell since my traffic graph was for the WAN port on the router and therefore being polluted by my browsing.

Interesting... My router doesnt have that, it would be nice to :S

Horace 02-07-2008 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by David F (Post 34590069)
An interesting note on newgroups was having a look at options for the future and found good old easynews has now got a 150 gig for $29.99 using their zipmanager and http downloads would stop the throttling surely. Still expensive but a viable option if you ask me

Easynews staff have stated on their support group that VM are known to specifically throttle Easynews connections. Having said that I get full speed via the NNTP server but around 10meg using web + FDM + SSL. Not that it bothers me, nothing is ever that urgent when downloading from usenet and I prefer just downloading a single unrared/unpared file than using NNTP.
Been with them for over 6 years and I get a loyalty bonus and the gigs roll-over so if I can get something from the improved VM news server which doesn't appear to be throtlled, I use that first.

Uncle Peter 02-07-2008 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo3972 (Post 34590210)
how do i measure how much it uses :dozey: is there a programme i can get or sumthing, would be intresting to see actualy how much it does use, joxx

If you have a router which supports snmp you can use mrtg from your PC to graph your WAN throughput/usage

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

broadbandbug 02-07-2008 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by nffc (Post 34590216)
Interesting... My router doesnt have that, it would be nice to :S

Take a look at Wallwatcher.. Google it:) Your router may well support it.

dragon 02-07-2008 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 34590222)
If you have a router which supports snmp you can use mrtg from your PC to graph your WAN throughput/usage

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

If your a windows user PRTG is another alternative.

Mine displays it in the Web ui, but I don't have it save the data over reboots (It can do it but apperently it does cause a fairly high amount of writes to the flash memory)

TraxData 05-07-2008 17:02

I dont have much time to post right now...

BUT....Langley/Bromsley...all i know is your going to be a test area soon!

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 34590099)
Not really unless they frequently change their servers/ Ip range as VM could just give all traffic to their IP range a low priority.

Which is what they already do for *some* services anyway.

piggy 05-07-2008 21:22

trax makes a very bad smell then leaves the room......again!!!

Angry@VMedia 05-07-2008 22:18

*yawn*

Irvysan 14-07-2008 23:47

That will be why I could not connect to a certain "pirate bay" website until after 11pm this evening?? Does anyone know how i could confirm this??

Sambora 14-07-2008 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvysan (Post 34600071)
That will be why I could not connect to a certain "pirate bay" website until after 11pm this evening?? Does anyone know how i could confirm this??

Did you compare it with an alternative route; say an "openreach" connection?

Perhaps it was not accessible at all?

Irvysan 15-07-2008 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambora (Post 34600077)
Did you compare it with an alternative route; say an "openreach" connection?

Perhaps it was not accessible at all?

There is no such thing as an 'openreach' connection as they are not a CP, I did however compare it with a BT Retail connection who have no problem accessing the site

Cobbydaler 15-07-2008 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvysan (Post 34600071)

The site does go down for varying periods on occasion.

Throttling wouldn't make it inaccessible...

LostintheNW 15-07-2008 09:02

1 day to go and I am free from VM and their shoddy service. If playing games on XBL degrades their fantastic "fibre optic" cable network then its a complete joke :)

the-cable-guy 01-08-2008 01:06

i have tested this myself many times & TraxData is correct. for example if i download from Rapidshare i dont get throttled but if i use Utorrent i do. thats all the proof that i need.

Jelly 01-08-2008 09:23

That's not proof; there are too many uncertain factors in the case of torrents. It may have been poorly seeded, your ports may not have been forwarded or you forwarded the wrong ones, or the tracker was unresponsive and you were only getting DHT peers. You might also have hit the STM limit.

Fatec 02-08-2008 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly (Post 34612454)
That's not proof; there are too many uncertain factors in the case of torrents. It may have been poorly seeded, your ports may not have been forwarded or you forwarded the wrong ones, or the tracker was unresponsive and you were only getting DHT peers. You might also have hit the STM limit.

Quick test from me, from a torrent with 2x100Mbit seeders and 1x1Gbit seed box.

VM connection (at gfs) download starts off @ 100Kb/s, sometimes touches 200Kb/s but wont go any higher.

Hook up her ADSL+2 connection, download starts at 2.3MB/s straight away and stays that way, now you could say adsl+2 connection has much better routing to the seedbox/seeders, however, the seedbox is in the UK and has a good link up to VM (http links direct from the seedbox are fine, btw).

Nothing funky going on there? course not :td:

Torrenting On VM @ her house is impossible, poor speeds, poor upload speeds.

Yet fine with HTTP (usenet even goes up/down now...lol..)

xspeedyx 02-08-2008 15:39

got screen shot trax?

brundles 02-08-2008 16:10

One of the most infuriating things about Virgin is their policy of messing around with peoples connections and not saying anything on the basis it's a trial :mad:

One other question Trax - if you shift the usenet connection to SSL do you see the same results?

dragon 02-08-2008 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by brundles (Post 34613296)
One of the most infuriating things about Virgin is their policy of messing around with peoples connections and not saying anything on the basis it's a trial :mad:

One other question Trax - if you shift the usenet connection to SSL do you see the same results?

It wouldnt be hard for them to Thorttle SSL usenet based on destination alone, i'm sure most ISP's which SSL traffic is usenet if its going to one of the major providers Ip ranges.

brundles 03-08-2008 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 34613303)
It wouldnt be hard for them to Thorttle SSL usenet based on destination alone, i'm sure most ISP's which SSL traffic is usenet if its going to one of the major providers Ip ranges.

I'm not suggesting it would be difficult - throttling by destination is easier than throttling by protocol, but it's whether they are throttling or not.

As I've stated before, although I don't like STM, throttling, etc. I won't dispute that I'd be classed a heavy user in most ISPs eyes. I'm happy to work within the reasonable boundaries they set (i.e. scheduled overnight) if necessary but if the goalposts are moving quicker than I can shoot I may as well not bother working with them.

And before someone says "if you dont like it leave", I'm pretty much limited ot cable as I'll only get about 2 meg on ADSL where I am. That doesn't mean I have to like VMs policies though.

dragon 03-08-2008 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by brundles (Post 34613637)
I'm not suggesting it would be difficult - throttling by destination is easier than throttling by protocol, but it's whether they are throttling or not.

As I've stated before, although I don't like STM, throttling, etc. I won't dispute that I'd be classed a heavy user in most ISPs eyes. I'm happy to work within the reasonable boundaries they set (i.e. scheduled overnight) if necessary but if the goalposts are moving quicker than I can shoot I may as well not bother working with them.

And before someone says "if you dont like it leave", I'm pretty much limited ot cable as I'll only get about 2 meg on ADSL where I am. That doesn't mean I have to like VMs policies though.

That is a tad unfortunate.

I'm lucky i get decent ADSL speeds but if i End up somewhere with cable and only slow ADSL speeds available id probably end up making the same desision as yourself.

Jelly 04-08-2008 21:21

Ugh, torrenting has become horribly slow here. Can seed with my full connection, but when it comes to downloading, there'll be a burst when starting the torrent, then it'll stick at 20-60KB/s. Newsgroups have become my main source of anime now ;_;

kpanchev 04-08-2008 21:58

No problems with torrents for me, downloading full speed all the way (until it hits the stm and then it's a quarter, but still no interuption or any other kind of throttling. I'm in the Guildford area, 10Mbits connection.

Jelly 05-08-2008 09:12

Well I'm in the Birmingham/Solihull area. Anybody else nearby having problems? I am an extremely heavy downloader, so Virgin might have cut my line priority, but since HTTP and Newsgroup downloads work fine, I don't think that's it.

xspeedyx 05-08-2008 11:35

Torrents started messing up for not downloading at all but last night and this morning is fine

the-cable-guy 28-08-2008 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly (Post 34612454)

i know how torrents work ffs & iv tested it on my own, so that shows what you know :p:

zing_deleted 28-08-2008 06:05

Easy now ;)

Ignitionnet 28-08-2008 12:53

Anyone in Preston / Wigan / Blackpool the usual contestants for this stuff seeing anything going on with P2P on their broadbandings?

Ignitionnet 03-09-2008 21:09

Never mind, along with some info on here and some other stuff I've heard from reliable peeps seems Waltham Park is the lucky contestant this time.

Sirius 03-09-2008 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34631608)
Never mind, along with some info on here and some other stuff I've heard from reliable peeps seems Waltham Park is the lucky contestant this time.

Would make sense as it means they then do not need to use stm on 50 meg, Instead use application throttling ?

Ignitionnet 03-09-2008 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34631612)
Would make sense as it means they then do not need to use stm on 50 meg, Instead use application throttling ?

Yep quite possibly.

'It has no STM, look everyone no STM on our 50Mbit, give us £50 a month for our no STM 50Mbit service!'*

*oh by the way check the AUP, we reserve the right to shape as we see fit.

xspeedyx 03-09-2008 21:31

I really hope they dont do this

Ignitionnet 03-09-2008 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34631620)

Wrong tense on 'hope they don't' to be honest.

Sirius 03-09-2008 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34631620)

Indeed however this is VM we are talking about, This is the same company that said on the newsgroups it was NOT testing STM and then released it 3 days later ?

there is a trace route of this forum that proves they are doing this is you care to look for it .

xspeedyx 03-09-2008 23:03

Looks like I am gonna be disconnecting all Broadband customer that want to disc as I can save customers with thise peice of crap service

Fatec 03-09-2008 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34631612)

Considering there is now DPI being used in that area as well as STM you have to wonder what VM are thinking...

Ignitionnet 04-09-2008 00:23

Pound signs. How little bandwidth can we allocate per customer while keeping them vaguely happy.

Shame really. My browsing on VM is the fastest that it ever has been even with a Be connection that was a similar speed, but if I find my occasional bursts of heavier usage crippled, both in terms of volume and the protocol I am using they can have the cable modem back.

As a World of Warcraft player I rely on Bittorrent to bring me updates in a timely fashion. This is a perfectly legal use of the protocol. It's one thing forcing me to try and avoid STM, quite another to cripple my use of the protocol as it's on a not wanted list.

acidal 04-09-2008 00:31

This is a new one on me :mad:

They can go **** themselves

Give me my old 1 mb Telewest back:rolleyes:

xspeedyx 04-09-2008 10:34

you can have it back with virgin bandwidth throttling well for around 10 mins then its back to 512k

Fatec 05-09-2008 08:51

Quote:

walt-dpim1-4-coc-1-gw.service.virginmedia.net [62.255.80.173]
Look what's turned up ;)

Jelly 05-09-2008 09:17

The letters DPI have appeared in a hostname?

:conspiracy:

Fatec 05-09-2008 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly (Post 34632254)
The letters DPI have appeared in a hostname?

:conspiracy:

The M stands for module, you can work out what DPI stands for ;)

It's not just some random address...

Sirius 05-09-2008 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData2 (Post 34632256)
The M stands for module, you can work out what DPI stands for ;)

It's not just some random address...

Correct that is a referance to a piece of Network equiptment. first name begins with A i would think. VM have admitted in the past that they have that equiptment, but said they were not using it.

Fatec 05-09-2008 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34632323)
Correct that is a referance to a piece of Network equiptment. first name begins with A i would think.

Then an L ? :p::angel:;)

Sirius 05-09-2008 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData2 (Post 34632324)
Then an L ? :p::angel:;)

:LOL:

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 11:21

*Imagines Alex Brown cheerleading with pom poms and stuff

Gimme an A, gimme an A, gimme an A L L, gimme an O, gimme an O, gimme an O... T! Yayyyy Allot!!!

You're all paranoid, it's purely there for usage stats collection!

Sirius 05-09-2008 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632328)

You're all paranoid, it's purely there for usage stats collection!

Usage collections of pink pigs flying overhead

Impz2002 05-09-2008 12:34

i think there is alot of assumptions going on here. If VM start throttling certrain protocols im sure ofcom will have something to say about it !

Impz

Fatec 05-09-2008 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impz2002 (Post 34632379)
i think there is alot of assumptions going on here. If VM start throttling certrain protocols im sure ofcom will have something to say about it !

Impz

Not an assumption at all, ALLOT is now active in 2 areas and is being used for application throttling...

And no, they wont...as its all in their FUP

Impz2002 05-09-2008 13:00

well if this is true then it really does stoop to a new level of dodgy dealings. so trax can you give me an idea of which protocols are being throttled and what speed they are being throttled too? is there a threshold like with STM ? and do these area's still have STM ?

I am appalled at VM's motives they cannot go on selling a service and charging thier customers only to steal back a percentage of it to sell on to somebody else. its like selling someone a meal and then taking it off you while your still eating it and using some of it to make a sandwich for someone else and selling it on !

I am getting sick of it all. I hardly use my 20meg i am a light user prb only download about 20 gig a month so STM isnt an isssue to me but i still feel cheated by thier tactics !

Impz

xspeedyx 05-09-2008 13:15

throttled to 512k AFAIK torrents and newsgroups and online gaming will be affected by this

APS 05-09-2008 13:16

Not sure if this was reported elsewhere, but those who expect no application throttling or STM by ISPs might like to look at this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/02/bennett_fcc/

This reports that the FCC, in the USA, have told Comcast to stop underhand throttling etc, but to simply do things more straightforwardly and introduce volume charging for their net connections.

The headline of the article says it all though ("Why the US faces broadband price hikes") and that is if uncontrolled internet services are provided the price will go up...although proportionally and perhaps more fairly, for those who use more bandwidth.

Interestingly the FCC are not getting involved from the consumers standpoint but because of technical reasons which are debated in the article.

APS

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34632398)
throttled to 512k AFAIK torrents and newsgroups and online gaming will be affected by this

Online gamiling?!?!

What on earth? Gaming is hardly a bandwidth hog so unless they are going to prioritise it that's crazy.

Fatec 05-09-2008 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34632398)

Anything P2P is throttled down to 512K, this includes games which use p2p engine (wow for updates?)

The connection literally gets crippled if you open a p2p app and stays that way until you turn it off.

Usenet (even with SSL) gets throttled down to 512K also from 20/50Mbit.

No one knows the limits or rules as of yet.

It looks as if its turning out to be an all day/evening thing though.

xspeedyx 05-09-2008 13:33

3 millions disconnections coming Virgin Media's way dammit looks like rapidshare will become peoples new home

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData2 (Post 34632407)
Anything P2P is throttled down to 512K, this includes games which use p2p engine (wow for updates?)

The connection literally gets crippled if you open a p2p app and stays that way until you turn it off.

Usenet (even with SSL) gets throttled down to 512K also from 20/50Mbit.

No one knows the limits or rules as of yet.

It looks as if its turning out to be an all day/evening thing though.

*sigh*

If it's a straight throttle to 512k just another lazy implementation by Virgin Media. There are ways to make devices subnet aware and control bandwidth utilisation on a per uBR basis which are far more granular and allow bandwidth while it's there to be used, and throttling to be deployed to try and control things when it's not.

OSS systems can be used to inform the devices of when a particular upstream is nearing saturation point and to begin to throttle P2P on a subnet. If you're clever you can even get all the people who are doing the uploading and shove them all on the same upstream then throttle them down accordingly to ensure the upstream remains uncongested.

If opening a P2P app cripples the connection that's a misconfiguration on the unit not allowing enough simultaneous TCP opens, and will also cause people issues with online banking sites and other websites that cause many threads to be opened.

Still what do I know, and why waste time trying to keep customers happy when you can just smack them with a hammer :shrug:

Here's hoping that as this deployment matures it becomes a tad more granular and gentle.

xspeedyx 05-09-2008 14:35

makes me laugh Virgin deines p2p throttling and then trial I just hope Trax's is lying and Virgin become a good ISP

Fatec 05-09-2008 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34632436)
makes me laugh Virgin deines p2p throttling and then trial I just hope Trax's is lying and Virgin become a good ISP

Alex has killed a once great ISP...

Bit hard to lie when the hardware is there, enabled, staring you in the face :(

Sirius 05-09-2008 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34632436)

Oh look at that flying pig

Fatec 05-09-2008 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34632441)
Oh look at that flying pig

Only 1 pig? are you in a good mood today? your being abit too nice here ;)

Sirius 05-09-2008 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData2 (Post 34632442)
Only 1 pig? are you in a good mood today? your being abit too nice here ;)

I have come to the conclusion that VM have decided to kill what was a world beating broadband service and nothing we do will change that. :mad:

xspeedyx 05-09-2008 14:54

so true I think there is allot of pigs flying

hokkers999 05-09-2008 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData (Post 34580831)
Not really, as with ALLOT it has deep packet inspection, they can easily tell if ur using usenet even with SSL.

They can deep packet all they want, I use Giganews and it is an *encrypted* connection, how does that help them?

Andrewcrawford23 05-09-2008 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokkers999 (Post 34632460)
They can deep packet all they want, I use Giganews and it is an *encrypted* connection, how does that help them?

encrypted is using ssl, at the end of the day if they want to see what your doing they can, even vpn isn't complete secure. plus if it application management it will no doubt be done via protocol and they will know what protocol usenet uses

Fatec 05-09-2008 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokkers999 (Post 34632460)

duh... they throttle everything going to the giganews FEPs.

So you'll be throttled...

SSL will just stop them seeing what your downloading, not what ur doing ;)

hokkers999 05-09-2008 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34581302)
Not really, this is why there are certification chains for the SSL certificates. If Virgin started trying to proxy SSL connections in order to read the contents it would be very obvious when you noted your bank's secure site having a certificate signed by Virgin Media ;)

They can't 'break' SSL but can certainly monitor the endpoints and implement a policy based on that. If someone has 10 SSL connections to news-europe.giganews.com it doesn't take a huge amount of thinking or analysis to guess what the traffic is.

What about when all they see is encrypted traffic to a remote server like this service?

https://www.relakks.com/?cid=gb

popper 05-09-2008 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by David F (Post 34580534)
But this information will goto press.

There is no defending VM anymore they are screwing their customers over. Ok you can argue Usenet is piracy but even considering throttling gaming ports is just wrong wrong wrong.

VM are standing toe to toe to us customers smacking us in the mouth over and over trying to push us as far as they can and so far we are not hitting back

sure Zing, but running away as you indicate to BT isnt hitting back is it.

instead of running away why dont you effected people that finally started commenting on this VM policy now it might effect your personal Broadband usage just take the right and only real effective route, and FINALLY challenge this virgin media FUP and STM rule in the small claims courts

is filling in the moneyclaim (aka online small claims county court service, or filling a real paper small claims D1 form down you local county court OC) website form so hard.

plus reading and understanding some basic common law/consumer law text, and appearing in your local county court to get a ruling again the VM UK/US executive bad faith clauses.

so invalidating them and making them unenforceable, thus getting them legally removed ,is that hard to do? NO it's not you just need to make the effort against these companies taking your money for services they tell you they will supply then dont fully complaining your using to much.

but everyone talks about running away tothe other side or ignoring the problems and waits for someone else to do it for them, and so here we are getting slapped again and again as you put it.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

http://search.virginmedia.com/result...ryUK&x=40&y=19

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokkers999 (Post 34632467)
What about when all they see is encrypted traffic to a remote server like this service?

https://www.relakks.com/?cid=gb

Then they throttle flows going to those VPN endpoints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 34632464)
encrypted is using ssl, at the end of the day if they want to see what your doing they can, even vpn isn't complete secure. plus if it application management it will no doubt be done via protocol and they will know what protocol usenet uses

SSL is a protocol and what's inside the SSL can't be read unless you proxy the SSL connection and terminate it on the appliance. Secure Sockets Layer - what's running on top of the SSL tunnel can be anything and ISP is none the wiser, so they throttle based on source address, the Giganews FEPs.

VPN is completely secure so long as the encryption is set up appropriately however as mentioned above you don't need to know what's in the VPN to be able to throttle.

Andrewcrawford23 05-09-2008 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632469)

SSL is a protocol and what's inside the SSL can't be read unless you proxy the SSL connection and terminate it on the appliance. Secure Sockets Layer - what's running on top of the SSL tunnel can be anything and ISP is none the wiser, so they throttle based on source address, the Giganews FEPs.

VPN is completely secure so long as the encryption is set up appropriately however as mentioned above you don't need to know what's in the VPN to be able to throttle.

I rather you did not talk to me like i am idiot, neither SSL or VPN is 100% secure nor are there 100% invisible there both got vulnerabilities that can be exploited and both can be viewed what the content is but it is not easy to do. I aint done networking for nothing :s

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 34632483)
I rather you did not talk to me like i am idiot, neither SSL or VPN is 100% secure nor are there 100% invisible there both got vulnerabilities that can be exploited and both can be viewed what the content is but it is not easy to do. I aint done networking for nothing :s

Go break a SHA-1 AES-256 VPN using PFS and IKE or a similarly set up SSL connection and get back to me. The NSA can't so I don't rate your chances.

Find where I talked down to you also, I just explained the technology...

Andrewcrawford23 05-09-2008 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632485)
Go break a SHA-1 AES-256 VPN / SSL using PFS and IKE and get back to me. The NSA can't so I don't rate your chances.

Find where I talked down to you also, I just explained the technology...

You talk down in the fat the way you where explaining it, like i am complete idiot, if i never knew anything then it be a bit more obvious, i rarely talk in technical terms, one of the thing si am praised for by people i help solve there IT or Network for, i just explain it basic english

Did i say it was easy to do? i said it can be done, and DPI at the isp can in fact decrypt the data but it is not the easist thing to do, they tend to not to do it because it not worth there time. If it was that secure and no problem with it i would not be caring about Phorm i just VPN to something like above.

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 15:49

You're saying I talked down to you because I used basic english, then saying how you rarely talk in technical terms and are praised for it? I'm rather lost, and you're completely wrong. Properly implemented VPNs cannot be broken by any resource the human race has at this time, if it could there would be no secrets and governments would be merrily listening in to one another's 'secure' communications. They don't and can't.

A bit of reading for you, google these:

Internet Key Exchange
Public Key Cryptography
SHA-1 ( Secure Hashing Algorithm 1 )
AES ( Advanced Encryption Standard )

They will give you some insight as to why VPNs are unbreakable even if you own the network in between, as you will not be able to imitate either side of the conversation and the crypto in use is too strong to be broken within a lifetime.

Andrewcrawford23 05-09-2008 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632492)
You're saying I talked down to you because I used basic english, then saying how you rarely talk in technical terms and are praised for it? I'm rather lost, and you're completely wrong. Properly implemented VPNs cannot be broken by any resource the human race has at this time, if it could there would be no secrets and governments would be merrily listening in to one another's 'secure' communications. They don't and can't.

A bit of reading for you, google these:

Internet Key Exchange
Public Key Cryptography
SHA-1 ( Secure Hashing Algorithm 1 )
AES ( Advanced Encryption Standard )

They will give you some insight as to why VPNs are unbreakable even if you own the network in between, as you will not be able to imitate either side of the conversation and the crypto in use is too strong to be broken within a lifetime.

I can assure they can be broke i have seen it be down and conversation between the two computers watched (no this was not illegal done it was legal test to prove nothing is 100%). I will say it again IT IS NOT EASY, it is very hard to break it, the only people that will do it is people wanting the information. but i aint going to argue about it, i know what i know you know what you know.

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 34632494)
I can assure they can be broke i have seen it be down and conversation between the two computers watched (no this was not illegal done it was legal test to prove nothing is 100%). I will say it again IT IS NOT EASY, it is very hard to break it, the only people that will do it is people wanting the information. but i aint going to argue about it, i know what i know you know what you know.

You'd best tell the US Government this, as their links to Iraq are satellite and easily interceptable they might want to know that their traffic is insecure.

I have given you the information to find out how, where and why. If someone showed you this they were playing games with it somehow. It is not possible to do a man-in-the-middle on VPN connections, if it were they would be pointless.

Anyways I won't argue about it either as millions of VPN users, governments, security agencies and armed forces know I'm right and trust sensitive data to this technology every day. Step away from the indignation and that 'demonstration' and just have a think about what you're saying, which is that there's no such thing as a secure network link so long as the data traversing it can be intercepted in some way. Then think if that actually makes any kind of sense.

What you probably saw was someone doing an SSL proxy with a badly configured browser with no sense of certifcation authorities. That is not invisible either as those proxies can only be self-signed and the certificates would flag to indicate that they are not properly signed and only have a 1 step CA.

EDIT: Just for you I'll get a packet capture later of me logging onto my online banking, I won't miss a packet, and I'll upload it to an FTP server for anyone who wants to download it and try and break it, I'll make sure I get the full setup etc.

popper 05-09-2008 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemeth (Post 34580676)
To be fair I'm reading the info in that Allot link, not simply what Trax said.

Ie. prioritising delay-sensitive traffic, which in the case of a consumer ISP is likely to be gaming-related traffic.

And anyway what's the point of throttling traffic that uses a relatively small amount of bandwidth? We're talking bandwidth usage for most games, WoW included, in the single-figures of Kbps.

sure, but your reading and falling for the PR sales pitch, and not considering the real implications, thats were the likes of phorm came from as the DPI vendors want to increase their income so expand and mission creep their firmwares to add new value to their customer base the ISPs not you as the ultimate paying end user.

as regards whats the point of ...., the same has/is said of the internal Virgin media traffic that doesnt even go outside the VM network.

the VM users internal VM websites ,VM ftp, VM mail etc, ALL THAT GETS INCLUDED in the current STM totals, they do include that traffic too, and that quite clearly is wrong from any POV never mind "in good faith" (legal terms) and unneeded, but they do it anyway....:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSp8 (Post 34580853)
why pick on newsgroups?

I thought it was the P2P users that caused congestion on the network with uploading

No, thats just a misconception today,its coming from the interested commercial partys the high profile PR campaigns(piracy is bad except when its commercial piracy for prifit from the likes of BT/VM/CPW etc type thinking) etc, and lazy news writers propagate to make headlines they can sell.

P2p hasnt been the top bandwidth use case for a good few years now, Usenet(newsgroups) have always been the far higher data throughput of the internet, and only in the last few years has Video streaming become the new higher data throughput, hence all the recent stories about how they (BBC/youtube etc)dont pay to use our pipes and we want our cut stories.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 34580890)
Well the big problem is that VM can arbitrarily decide what constitutes "heavy" use as they see fit and may arbitrarily apply Class of Service on whatever type of traffic they see fit (potentially to the detriment of their paying customers), just as they have varied the limits of STM and reserve the right to continue to do so.

Unfortunately the more switched on customers who decide that enough is enough and leave will no doubt be replaced by the unsuspecting people who make a grab for the dangling carrot of 50Mbit, which sounds great on paper.

sure, and they will continue to do so UNTIL YOU (anyone effected) takes Virgin Media to county court and gets a ruleing to stop them and remove these one sided contractual clauses.

just as the bank charges ripoffs got massive airtime and massive news coverage, so will these personal small claims if you care enough to put together a howto step by step to bringing the UK Broadband STM/FUP bad faith to the masses and small claims (VM/BT contract breachs to the UK consumers detriment)

Sirius 05-09-2008 16:44

I now wait with baited breath to see if VM decide that a press release is required over this ?????

#

I bet they dont.

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 16:53

One like this?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...throttling-p2p

Sirius 05-09-2008 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632534)

Yep that would be the one.

Wonder if this site is going to ask VM for an update :)

So the long and short of this is that we are now to be stm'd and on top of that if we still dare to use our connection that we paid for they will reduce that to 512 k , Wow way to go Virgin.

Fatec 05-09-2008 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632534)

And what bullshiiiiiiiii their official statement turned out to be :D:angel:

xspeedyx 05-09-2008 17:07

you know trax ur name was meantion in webuser over this

Fatec 05-09-2008 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34632547)
you know trax ur name was meantion in webuser over this

Yes and i did not appreciate the bad things they tried to say about me, i emailed them but got no response.

popper 05-09-2008 17:18

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/viewpost.gif
Is it legal to use DPI on SSL encryption?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto (Post 34581250)
Assuming that DPI can break the encryption? doubt it, but we are moving away from the point.

VM AND BT both have Allot (or similar) installed within their network edge at the pops, I am not sure about other ISP's.

i dont think we are Toto, your just useing to much tunnel vision to focus on a single tech point, just because the ISPs have installed the DPI kit to track, collect, process and restrict zings payed for 3d party usenet useage doesnt make it legal.

step back and consider this.

is it legal in the UK/EU to sell you a pound of apples, then give you 3/4 of a pound ,No its not.

is it legal in the UK/EU to sell you a killowatt of power, then give you 3/4 killowatt of power, NO its not.

is it legal in the UK/EU to sell you something thats unfit for purpose and not give you a refund, No its not.

is it legal in the UK/EU to sell you a service and then give you 3/4 or even less, then not give you a refund, no its not.

is it legal in the UK/EU to sell you a service then spy on your personal unique datastream for commercial profit without informed consent, no its not.

see, you just cant get away from this DPI use and long standing consumer legal rights (its just Phorm/NebuAd gave it high profile news coverage) and existing laws, bring it to court and see what the ISPs do, they will remove it before it comes to court if enough people actually fill in the court papers before they run away, as VM/BT etc know full well they cant win a consumer court case given the already existing case law.

zing_deleted 05-09-2008 17:32

Please keep this thread on the topic in hand. Personal insults whether hidden or not will not be tolerated

xspeedyx 05-09-2008 17:44

You tell em zing

zing_deleted 05-09-2008 17:47

Is this set to be a 24 thing or will there be any break ? it is sucky.

Didnt VM just sign a deal to use easynews NNTP backbone? anyone think this could be part of a deal? Easynews now have a 150 gig 15 quid a month HTTP link to the newsgroups will these be hit by App throttling? can this hardware filter port 80 traffic? if not could this be a shrewd move to push usenet customers to Easynews ? ie you give us access to your servers we could force thousands of customers your way?

brundles 05-09-2008 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by David F (Post 34632569)
Is this set to be a 24 thing or will there be any break ? it is sucky.

Didnt VM just sign a deal to use easynews NNTP backbone? anyone think this could be part of a deal? Easynews now have a 150 gig 15 quid a month HTTP link to the newsgroups will these be hit by App throttling? can this hardware filter port 80 traffic? if not coudl this be a shroud move to push usenet customers to Easynews ? ie you give us access to your servers we could force thousands of customers your way?

Is it the same IPs though or do VM essentially allocate shadow IPs or proxy it so they can differentiate and limit the service as defined in the contract between the 2. (Assuming that VM customers don't get the same access and retention on Easynews as Easynews customers)

Bonglet 05-09-2008 17:57

Thousands of customers would just up and leave not go to some company vm has connections too.
Really bad show and the final nail in vm's casket if this dpi stuff goes ahead said it a long time ago when this stuff was first mentioned this is no different to what the advertising malarkey were upto, isp's could filter anything (affecting traffic now and creeping to whatever surfaces as the next p2p) they want out with the kit leading in the end to a distrust of the isp using the kit and a 2 tier system and a more encrypted internet.

This could also be used covertly for isp discrimination to certain services or products that the isp's see fit for use (they WILL say they wont but will they?)

xspeedyx 05-09-2008 18:02

I am stuck with them well unless I quit and move house

popper 05-09-2008 18:25

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/viewpost.gif
an ISP can easilly see SSL traffic, afterall you negotiate the secure connection via your ISP
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto (Post 34581300)
I was answering the point as to whether or not D(eep)P(acket)I(nspection) of SSL packets was legal or not, not whether the ISP can see them, which of course they can.

Deep Packet Inspection/Interception of a UK/EU/US consumers Unique datastream IS NOT legal, UNLESS they have been given written full and informed consent by the owner of that data stream, I.E YOU as the owner and maker of that unique datastream.

You as the owner and maker of that data can remove any of the rights you may have given them at any time with a simple "official notice" in writing to the data controller of the company involved removing that right.

(as the phorm/NebuAd cases are showing and educating the worlds Broadband masses today).

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34581302)
Not really, this is why there are certification chains for the SSL certificates. If Virgin started trying to proxy SSL connections in order to read the contents it would be very obvious when you noted your bank's secure site having a certificate signed by Virgin Media ;)

They can't 'break' SSL but can certainly monitor the endpoints and implement a policy based on that. If someone has 10 SSL connections to news-europe.giganews.com it doesn't take a huge amount of thinking or analysis to guess what the traffic is.

this is so true, thats why theres such a massive potential for some Uk 3rd party Co-location site to set up a basic free tunneling service to their servers and charge a reasonable price for higher data packages.

if only someone would provide this simple free basic service ASAP (google Uk infrastructure perhaps?) for your average users that dont know how to get or setup their own SSL tunneled Co-location Virtual web servers and related apps for personal remote use.

that way you tunnel from your VM/BT master home machine pluged into your desk BB modem directly to the free 3rd party virtual web server, and run your real datatreams end point from that 3rd party location,and hence VM/BT etc cant easly see these unencypted data end point requests, lets see VM/BT justify STMing that single SSL data pipe to a 3rd party in court.

OC as time moves on, its looking far more viable to look into direct WiMax and wireless gigE to the Co-Location sites around the country and bypass the ISPs invasive snooping all together.

as the Wimax/GigE hardware prices fall through the floor for this old/new wireless kit, all it takes today is a few mates or a small village to club together and run their own cheap Meshed wifi and a single server housed somewere handy to all of them with this wireless WiMax/GigE connection pointing to your friendy Co-Location site and you can do that today, never mind the url story below that will make it even easyer and cheaper later.

http://www.dailywireless.org/2008/09/04/gigabit-wi-fi/

http://www.dailywireless.org/2008/08...most-as-cheap/

Ignitionnet 05-09-2008 20:37

The problem is though that it just ends up with any traffic being throttled unless it can be identified as being a 'wanted' protocol, and while that may not be liked it's a perfectly legitimate thing for VM to do. :(

And yes it's not hard to shape things, you don't have to shape based on protocol, you can shape based on destination, number of TCP connections, source, TCP port, whatever you want.

Not sure if the quote was aimed at me or if you were just pointing out the things I mentioned above regarding behavioural shaping and SSL CA chains / self signing / SSL proxying and putting them in a somewhat better way :)

popper 06-09-2008 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impz2002 (Post 34632379)

Impz

they already did, they "asking ISPs to sign up for a Code of Practice" ... "It's a voluntary code that will be tested using 'mystery shoppers,' " ..."Ofcom is also going to investigate real broadband speeds around the country" with a survey.

"One thing not mentioned is throttling. For example, an ISP could give an accurate speed estimate then deliver a lower speed due to contention or deliberate speed throttling in response to file sharing. The fact that your DSL2 connection can do 7Mbps doesn't mean you're going to get that speed all day every day"

it just fills you with real confidence that Ofcom are really looking after your legal consumer rights doesnt it :rolleyes:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...tish_isps.html

getting yourself a few D1 forms and fact sheets an passing them around your friends will be far more effective in the long term OC.

popper 06-09-2008 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632469)

its not been the case for a long time now, at least for any and all plain text inside the ssl tunnel datastreams and the right kit, but you seem to already understand this point yet skip over it!? but no matter,its still interesting to other readers of the thread later perhaps.

this is a so called "Man In The Middle attack" built directly into industrial ISP grade hardware that business and well funded criminal oufits can purchase off the shelf today and pay an ISP tech to plug in for instance.

Ohh, it seems that later in the thread you concentrate on full decyption of the tunnel, wereas for the purposes of this thread and the reality of why VM and the DPI vendors are doing this is to get just enough information from your encypted datastream to use it in whatever mannor they chose to increase their profit margins at the end users expense...and without regard to the legal or political implications that might bring in the future from their actions.

and by "to close the security loophole that SSL creates" they obviously mean that without this kit they couldnt see much if any of your unique datastream property to profit from its processing...

http://www.intelcommsalliance.com/ks...04daf53086f015
"
Netronome SSL Inspector Transparent SSL Proxy

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img][img]Download Failed (1)[/img][img]Download Failed (1)[/img][img]Download Failed (1)[/img][img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
No ratings yet

Resources

Product Web Page
Datasheet

Categories

Application Software
Other

The Netronome SSL Inspector, the industry's highest-performance transparent SSL proxy, enables network security applications to access the clear text in SSL-encrypted connections and has been designed for security and network appliance manufacturers, enterprise IT organizations and system integrators. Without compromising any aspect of enterprise- or government-regulated compliance, the SSL Inspector allows network appliances to be deployed with the highest levels of flow analysis while still maintaining multi-gigabit line-rate network performance.

The SSL Inspector's unique combination of capabilities removes the risks arising from the lack of visibility into SSL traffic while simultaneously increasing the performance of security and network appliances.

The SSL Inspector Appliance provides existing sniffing (IDS) and filtering (IPS) security appliances with access to the decrypted plaintext of SSL flows. This equips network appliance manufacturers with a mechanism to provide their security applications with visibility into both SSL and non-SSL network traffic, increase their application performance and avoid becoming the source of reduced network throughput. This also allows end-users to add SSL Inspection capabilities to their network security architecture immediately to close the security loophole that SSL creates.

The SSL Inspector is also available in a standard development kit that provides the industry's only open application programming interface.

..."

Ignitionnet 06-09-2008 08:42

Popper, those rely on having the proxy configured as a CA on the browsers so that they can create phony certificates to present to the browsers.

They can work on layer 2 however they terminate the SSL tunnel from client to server and server to client. To do this they require the browser to trust them to sign certificates. This can be done in an Enterprise environment where you have control over the security policies on browsers, however in an ISP environment it's not feasible.

EDIT: The other alternative is to get certified as a CA properly so that you get installed into browsers, however use of CA in this manner is not valid and any company doing this will soon find their CA disappears.

Remember how SSL works - in order to properly set up the session you need to have a certified, signed public/private key pair from the server. While it is possible to impersonate the client and decrypt the flow initially it is not possible to impersonate the server unless you have a signed public/private key pair the client trusts through appropriate certification.

Having set up SSL offload appliances all, without exception, require the transferral of the key pair from the server to the appliance or generation of a new key pair which has been appropriately signed and certified on a per server basis. I would suggest the same goes for trying to SSL 'offload' within the ISP network as well.

Andrewcrawford23 06-09-2008 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34632889)
Popper, those rely on having the proxy configured as a CA on the browsers so that they can create phony certificates to present to the browsers.

They can work on layer 2 however they terminate the SSL tunnel from client to server and server to client. To do this they require the browser to trust them to sign certificates. This can be done in an Enterprise environment where you have control over the security policies on browsers, however in an ISP environment it's not feasible.

EDIT: The other alternative is to get certified as a CA properly so that you get installed into browsers, however use of CA in this manner is not valid and any company doing this will soon find their CA disappears.

Remember how SSL works - in order to properly set up the session you need to have a certified, signed public/private key pair from the server. While it is possible to impersonate the client and decrypt the flow initially it is not possible to impersonate the server unless you have a signed public/private key pair the client trusts through appropriate certification.

Having set up SSL offload appliances all, without exception, require the transferral of the key pair from the server to the appliance or generation of a new key pair which has been appropriately signed and certified on a per server basis. I would suggest the same goes for trying to SSL 'offload' within the ISP network as well.

So you are admitting it is possible? even though you said to me it is impossible? and my point was it wasn't impossible just very hard? no i am not bring this up again just curious to your thoughts.

Ignitionnet 06-09-2008 13:17

See my post here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34632497-post274.html

Quote:

What you probably saw was someone doing an SSL proxy with a badly configured browser with no sense of certifcation authorities. That is not invisible either as those proxies can only be self-signed and the certificates would flag to indicate that they are not properly signed and only have a 1 step CA.
That's the mechanism by which these appliances work. It's not breaking SSL it's attempting to impersonate each side to the other. It's not difficult at all and open source implementations are available, but will show up on a browser when you go to www.barclays.co.uk and the SSL certificate the server provides is signed by Virgin Media and can't be verified.

It isn't a break of SSL though, is easily detectable, and requires browsers to be set up specifically to accomodate it as in an enterprise environment, so no I'm not admitting anything :)

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34632862)
Ohh, it seems that later in the thread you concentrate on full decyption of the tunnel, wereas for the purposes of this thread and the reality of why VM and the DPI vendors are doing this is to get just enough information from your encypted datastream to use it in whatever mannor they chose to increase their profit margins at the end users expense...and without regard to the legal or political implications that might bring in the future from their actions.

Ah forgot to respond to this. I'm well aware of DPI being used with partial decrypts, I've worked on DPI kit with regards to detecting encrypted Bittorrent. As you rightly said only enough 'decryption' was needed to detect what the underlying protocol was. In the case of encrypted BT the encryption was rather weak and although it took a few months researchers did indeed break it to the point where it could be positively identified.

Robertus 06-09-2008 15:28

So if I use Giganews with 256bit SSL - can they just take a peak and see what I'm leeching?

I was under the impression that they'd need DPI to do this.

Ed2020 06-09-2008 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robertus (Post 34633088)
So if I use Giganews with 256bit SSL - can they just take a peak and see what I'm leeching?

I was under the impression that they'd need DPI to do this.

DPI alone will not allow them to see the contents of SSL-encrypted traffic. The would need to use a man in the middle attack, as described earlier in this thread, to decrypt the stream analyse it and reencrypt it before delivering to you. This is not "breaking" SSL and can be detected from the client end.

Ed.

AppleSauce 06-09-2008 19:41

If VM continues to do this there will be no point in having anything above 4mb.

Mind you having seen this:

"I would note there is ALSO a seperate trial going on while controls ports speciifcally for games (Wow etc) which affect the pings for said games."

Which is obviously a lie, it wouldn't surprise me if the rest was.

acidal 08-09-2008 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce (Post 34633253)
If VM continues to do this there will be no point in having anything above 4mb.

I'm on 4mb and it's crawling between 25-40k and the most i've seen it at tonight has been about 250k, my signals are good too.

It's been like this a few times over the last 2 or 3 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if the *******s are up to something in this area.

xspeedyx 08-09-2008 09:08

There's many different factors you have to look at i.e congestion, wireless router, not just VM are throttling your speeds plus are your speeds from torrents,newsgroups,p2p?