Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

Dave42 25-01-2015 16:12

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35755137)
I have decided to hold off until the Consumer Preview is released, hopefully only a few months away.

April most likely for that

Stephen 25-01-2015 18:41

Been running this latest build via Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro for a couple of days now.

Been fine so far, quite like it especially since I thought 8 was awful.

nomadking 25-01-2015 21:19

I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next few weeks. That seems to be a good time to try out win 10. Does anyone know if you can copy the existing OS(win 8.1) on the same physical system to give a dual boot setup and upgrade one of the copies to win 10? That would give a working 8.1 system and a test win 10 setup to play around with. Only one 8.1 setup would then exist.

qasdfdsaq 25-01-2015 23:43

Tried it today, buggy as hell and I don't see any real advantages to it.

Uninstalled.

BenMcr 26-01-2015 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35755190)
I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next few weeks. That seems to be a good time to try out win 10. Does anyone know if you can copy the existing OS(win 8.1) on the same physical system to give a dual boot setup and upgrade one of the copies to win 10? That would give a working 8.1 system and a test win 10 setup to play around with. Only one 8.1 setup would then exist.

You can boot into a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) with Windows 8.1. So it won't impact your main OS install, but will run as if it's fully installed on your hard disk

There is guide here http://www.nextofwindows.com/native-...-or-windows-8/

Stephen 26-01-2015 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35755208)
Tried it today, buggy as hell and I don't see any real advantages to it.

Uninstalled.

Buggy as hell? bit of an exaggeration.

I've had it up for two full days and also spent last night playing games on Steam and Origin. Everything worked great.

qasdfdsaq 26-01-2015 16:25

For you perhaps. For me display mirroring wouldn't work, windows update wouldn't work, wireless would not disconnect and shutdown didn't work. The notification/quick menu section came up once, with half of it missing, and couldn't be hidden, after restarting it won't come up at all. The feedback window has also gone AWOL and the start menu search does not work when the taskbar isn't horizontal.

Course if you happen to "play games on Steam and Origin" neither actually involves using any of the new Windows components so of course you're not going to have issues.

Dave42 26-01-2015 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35755350)
For you perhaps. For me display mirroring wouldn't work, windows update wouldn't work, wireless would not disconnect and shutdown didn't work. The notification/quick menu section came up once, with half of it missing, and couldn't be hidden, after restarting it won't come up at all. The feedback window has also gone AWOL and the start menu search does not work when the taskbar isn't horizontal.

Course if you happen to "play games on Steam and Origin" neither actually involves using any of the new Windows components so of course you're not going to have issues.

did you upgrade or clean install when you installed new build

Stephen 26-01-2015 16:34

Well no I said that's what I did last night. I did say been running it on boot camp for a couple days now. Feedback window is still there and works. Notifications have actually worked fine.

I've been able to shut down and restart ok too. Xbox app works fine too.

So yes I do actually use the normal bits of windows too.

qasdfdsaq 26-01-2015 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35755353)
did you upgrade or clean install when you installed new build

Clean install.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35755354)
Well no I said that's what I did last night. I did say been running it on boot camp for a couple days now.

Funny how it runs better when you don't install it on a PC than on a fully-supported PC platform... :dozey:

gba93 26-01-2015 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35755267)
Buggy as hell? bit of an exaggeration.

I've had it up for two full days and also spent last night playing games on Steam and Origin. Everything worked great.

Just updated from 8.1 and all seems to be working okay :)

Sirius 26-01-2015 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35755357)
Just updated from 8.1 and all seems to be working okay :)

Same here, works great and i have been doing everything that i did in windows 7 and 8.1. At the moment it will be staying on my machine in preferance to windows 8.1

admars 26-01-2015 17:36

notifications don't work properly for me, it displays a list of them, but if I click on them, I don't actually get any more info :(

truthspeaker 27-01-2015 09:17

@qasdfdsaq
windows 10 updates Automatic.
you can't change the update setting because Microsoft won't let you.
and it seems working very great. plus its free for win 7 and win 8 users.

heero_yuy 27-01-2015 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35755481)
@qasdfdsaq

It's bound to be in the registry, there's just no user shortcut to it. ;)

BenMcr 27-01-2015 10:18

Quote:

@qasdfdsaq

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35755484)

I guess there is no way to turn it off in the Technical Preview as it's now the way that new builds will be delivered.

nomadking 27-01-2015 10:32

I suppose that MS need the test versions to be the same and not different with some people not having certain updates applied. Any feedback would just get messy.

heero_yuy 27-01-2015 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35755494)
I guess there is no way to turn it off in the Technical Preview as it's now the way that new builds will be delivered.

Quote:

The reason is as simple as it could be: if you enable this registry tweak to see the upcoming Windows 10 Preview builds, you might actually lock yourself out and block your computer from receiving any other updates that Microsoft could release before the launch of the full product.

Gabriel Aul said in a very short tweet that anyone enabling the registry hack would “actually turn off the ability to get updates,” recommending everyone to disable it as soon as possible.

A new tweak posted on Microsoft’s Community forums also provides a few instructions on how to restore the original configuration of the registry and thus make sure that future updates will continue to be provided to your computer.
Linky and tweak / reset

Yep, Always the registry. ;)

SnoopZ 27-01-2015 17:04

Rumour has it there won't be a CP of this and the TP getting updated is the way of the future so i may give this a go eventually.

BenMcr 27-01-2015 17:15

I tried installing it twice in VirtualBox (once as 32bit and once as 64bit), but neither worked properly - Start menu wouldn't appear in either.

Considering the VHD option when I can get a version working in a VM

SnoopZ 27-01-2015 17:41

I have downloaded the Windows 8.1 ISO so i will do a clean install for Windows 10 then i can easily go back if i have to.

I hear a clean install is the way to go, alot less buggy problems.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Does Avast Free and Comodo Firewall work with Windows 10?

qasdfdsaq 27-01-2015 17:53

Quote:

@qasdfdsaq

Wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35755484)

It's under administrative tools. They've taken away the 'consumer' way of manipulating it, the system administrator method is still there and always will be.

Dave42 27-01-2015 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35755578)
I have downloaded the Windows 8.1 ISO so i will do a clean install for Windows 10 then i can easily go back if i have to.

I hear a clean install is the way to go, alot less buggy problems.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Does Avast Free and Comodo Firewall work with Windows 10?

yes clean install is best just tried to install avast wont let me says compatability issue error

qasdfdsaq 27-01-2015 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35755494)

It can be turned off by administrators either via local group policy or via network/active directory policies. The latter override the former and both have always overridden the user-set options in Control Panel.

I imagine a lot of large enterprises will throw a hissy fit if they even attempt to remove the ability to change those settings.

SnoopZ 27-01-2015 20:14

Which Antivirus and software Firewall are people finding works with this?

I guess there is still a built in Windows Defender antivirus that still works if nothing else does?

Dave42 27-01-2015 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35755636)
Which Antivirus and software Firewall are people finding works with this?

I guess there is still a built in Windows Defender antivirus that still works if nothing else does?

yes windows defender is the default AV just using that one here

Mary Jo Foley ‏@maryjofoley · 1h1 hour ago
MS confirms its Windows 10 'Spartan' browser will get extensions support: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...et-extensions/

admars 27-01-2015 22:20

Avira works

BenMcr 27-01-2015 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35755593)
It can be turned off by administrators either via local group policy or via network/active directory policies. The latter override the former and both have always overridden the user-set options in Control Panel.

I imagine a lot of large enterprises will throw a hissy fit if they even attempt to remove the ability to change those settings.

What I meant was that the whole point of the Technical Preview is to test and provide feedback on the latest builds, so if Microsoft gave an easy way for you turn off updates during the preview and you don't receive the latest builds then what what is the point for Microsoft to offer the program in the first place?

I'm assuming that when the final version of Windows 10 is released, there will be a UI way to turn off updates (even if it's not recommended) in addition to the existing registry / policy options.

truthspeaker 27-01-2015 23:56

am thinking the same. whats the point of disable the updates?

on retail or OEM version you can turn off the updates if you want. which makes no sense.
unless you cracked it or want a virus or you want someone to Hack your computer

Uncle Peter 28-01-2015 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35755677)
am thinking the same. whats the point of disable the updates?

on retail or OEM version you can turn off the updates if you want. which makes no sense.
unless you cracked it or want a virus or you want someone to Hack your computer

It makes perfect sense.

In a managed, enterprise environment there are other ways of propagating Windows updates.

Many secure environments do not allow client machines direct connections (make that any connection whatsoever) to the public internet therefore allowing machines to auto update would be pointless.

Stuart 28-01-2015 10:06

Quote:

@qasdfdsaq

It makes sense for Microsoft to lock down Windows Update access in this version of Windows 10. Remember, this is beta software, even though they are calling it a preview. It makes sense for them to remove user's ability to disable Windows Update because they need to ensure that every user who submits a bug report is running the latest update.

Be interesting to see if they lock it down in the same way on the actual release version. There are legitimate reasons people would want to block Windows Updates. Large scale enterprise deployments, for instance. If you are deploying software to tens of thousands of PCs, you want to stop user access to it until you've tested it as thoroughly as you can, to ensure it doesn't break something that is critical to the enterprise.

heero_yuy 28-01-2015 10:21

I like to have any updates on "ask me" so I can decide whether to allow them or not and also whether a full backup at that point especially of the registry would be wise seeing the number of updates on things that have gone horribly wrong. If it's done automatically you might have trouble restoring the previous good state.

gba93 28-01-2015 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35755666)
Avira works

As does Malwarebytes

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Does anyone know how the next release(s) of Win10 are likely to be released - will we get an email, will it be done automatically?

Dave42 28-01-2015 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35755752)
As does Malwarebytes

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Does anyone know how the next release(s) of Win10 are likely to be released - will we get an email, will it be done automatically?

it be done by windows update the next build

BenMcr 28-01-2015 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35755726)
I like to have any updates on "ask me" so I can decide whether to allow them or not and also whether a full backup at that point especially of the registry would be wise seeing the number of updates on things that have gone horribly wrong. If it's done automatically you might have trouble restoring the previous good state.

Which fine for a finalised OS - but this isn't.

There are lots of warning to say that any of the updates may involve a full re-install and / or loss of data, so not to put it onto a production machine or use it as your primary OS.

gba93 28-01-2015 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35755760)
it be done by windows update the next build

truthspeaker 28-01-2015 17:14

My windows 10 is on my primary machine.
I did windows 10 upgrade on top of windows 8.1
Running good. I think I need 8Gb RAM now.

Ken W 28-01-2015 17:47

I am thinking of trying the Windows 10 beta on my old laptop, it is a 1.73 Centrino with 2 Gig of RAM 60 Gig hard disk, is that high enough spec to try it on.

SnoopZ 28-01-2015 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35755822)
I am thinking of trying the Windows 10 beta on my old laptop, it is a 1.73 Centrino with 2 Gig of RAM 60 Gig hard disk, is that high enough spec to try it on.

Here are the minimum specs, basically if it can run Windows 8 you should be ok.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...e-as-windows-8

admars 28-01-2015 20:50

uninstall latest virtualbox and got old version 4.3.12 which isn't working, but the vm isn't kernel errors, which google provides lots of answers for, so hopefuly can fix it.

one strange problem I have is when I turn on this pc, network is unavailable, I reboot, and networking is fine, even if I leave it a whiel after switching on before logging in, still have this issue on turning on, so have to bounce it!

truthspeaker 28-01-2015 21:14

@Ken W
i got Intel Quad Core2 Q6600 2.4GHz with 4Gb RAM memory DDR3 (1066MHz)
Graphic Card:- Geforce 9400 GT.

it sometimes lag's alot when opening lots of apps programs and web browser taps. and sometimes lag's a bit. and sometimes running very good.
(don't no if upgrading the Graphic card to AMD Radeon R7 240 might help with lag).

its better to have Intel i5 or Intel i7 or AMD A10 with 8Gb RAM
if you don't want any lag.

it will lag alot or it might crash alot on 1.73 Centrino better to get a better CPU with more RAM. you can try it if you want, and tell us if it worked very good or not.

but in my opinion its not really worth it trying on a single core CPU with less memory.

if it lags on my computer then what will happen to yours?

Ken W 28-01-2015 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35755857)
@Ken W
i got Intel Quad Core2 Q6600 2.4GHz with 4Gb RAM memory DDR3 (1066MHz)
Graphic Card:- Geforce 9400 GT.

it sometimes lag's alot when opening lots of apps programs and web browser taps. and sometimes lag's a bit. and sometimes running very good.
(don't no if upgrading the Graphic card to AMD Radeon R7 240 might help with lag).

its better to have Intel i5 or Intel i7 or AMD A10 with 8Gb RAM
if you don't want any lag.

it will lag alot or it might crash alot on 1.73 Centrino better to get a better CPU with more RAM. you can try it if you want, and tell us if it worked very good or not.

but in my opinion its not really worth it trying on a single core CPU with less memory.

if it lags on my computer then what will happen to yours?

Perhaps I will get another hard drive to put in my main pc to try it out (3.4Ghz quad core + 8 gig ram) then I could just swap the hard which has 8.1 installed with the new drive so not to interfere with my windows 8.1.

admars 28-01-2015 21:47

this pc has 4gb ram, 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo e7200, seems to run ok, on board graphics, so it's not a flash pc, just sits under tv to surf internet, watch tv/films.

regarding virtualbox, converted the vdi, to an ova, now it has opened in vmware player, which I haven't used in years, but it seems to be working :)

qasdfdsaq 29-01-2015 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35755574)
Considering the VHD option when I can get a version working in a VM

VMWare Workstation (Version 10) supposedly has 'official' support for Windows 10 VMs.

Dave42 29-01-2015 14:10

How to enable the Spartan browser's speedy new Edge engine makes ie quicker

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28752...html#tk.nl_pwr

truthspeaker 29-01-2015 15:13

its not lagging now. the reason for lagging was my network was on 2.4GHz (Internet Router) modem.
I changed my network to 5GHz not its running fast.

qasdfdsaq 29-01-2015 16:36

The frequency of your 'network modem' makes your CPU and Windows lag?

truthspeaker 29-01-2015 21:23

web pages were lagging.

admars 29-01-2015 21:55

what a pain, but got there in the end. using vmware I couldn't get the vm to connect to internet, tried a few things, and to be fair, I got bored and thought I'd go back to virtualbox.

so uninstalled virtual box again, and deleted my settings, and all remaing files in program files. reinstalled VirtualBox-4.3.12-93733-Win, created a new vm using existing virtual hard disk, and all ok now :)

still had to reboot the pc after it started to get network to work :(

qasdfdsaq 29-01-2015 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35756047)
web pages were lagging.

Yet you were complaining about 'apps programs' lagging, not web pages.

truthspeaker 30-01-2015 01:29

yeah if i install lots of programs and software then it lags.
but web pages were lagging because my internet it using 2.4GHz network.

web pages running fast now on 5GHz.

Ken W 30-01-2015 15:04

Can Windows 10 beta be downloaded to a file so that I can install it on my other pc?

SnoopZ 30-01-2015 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35756139)
Can Windows 10 beta be downloaded to a file so that I can install it on my other pc?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

You can create a DVD for it or a bootable flash drive.

Ken W 30-01-2015 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35756143)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

You can create a DVD for it or a bootable flash drive.

Thank you that is the answer I was hoping for.

SnoopZ 30-01-2015 20:30

Still can't make up my mind whether to install it or wait a few months!

What do you guys think of your install seeing you have had it running a while?

Dave42 30-01-2015 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35756228)

well new build only been out for a week been fine here so far you could dual boot to try it or use a VM

gba93 30-01-2015 21:13

Quote:

No problems here and you can use the new Spartan browser - much quicker

admars 30-01-2015 21:46

annoying it did an update this evening, and automatically rebooted, I've changed the settings so I get prompted, rather than it automatically rebooting :(

qasdfdsaq 01-02-2015 01:57

Quote:

Even more bugs here. Windows title bars disappearing off-screen, wireless devices unavailable for no apparent reason, and system dialogs appearing completely black.

Seems like most of the problems I've come across are UI related, but still. It's gone beyond funny into frustrating territory now.

Ken W 03-02-2015 08:25

I have downloaded the Win 10 preview ISO and created a install DVD.
I am going to install the Windows 10 preview on a empty drive the any tips to watch out for in the install?

gba93 03-02-2015 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35756479)
Even more bugs here. Windows title bars disappearing off-screen, wireless devices unavailable for no apparent reason, and system dialogs appearing completely black.

Seems like most of the problems I've come across are UI related, but still. It's gone beyond funny into frustrating territory now.

The only problem I've got is that the laptop doesn't connect automatically after the router has been turned off otherwise all working fine. :):)

Dave42 03-02-2015 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35756932)
I have downloaded the Win 10 preview ISO and created a install DVD.
I am going to install the Windows 10 preview on a empty drive the any tips to watch out for in the install?

it installs exactly like windows 8 or 8.1

SnoopZ 03-02-2015 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35756963)
it installs exactly like windows 8 or 8.1

How long does it take on a clean install on an SDD as when i upgraded from 7 to 8 it took 20mins (for an upgrade)?

Dave42 03-02-2015 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35756964)
How long does it take on a clean install on an SDD as when i upgraded from 7 to 8 it took 20mins (for an upgrade)?

should be less than that on a SSD ive not got a SSD yet

SnoopZ 03-02-2015 11:02

Great, i will wait a few months though until the stability improves.

qasdfdsaq 03-02-2015 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35756947)
The only problem I've got is that the laptop doesn't connect automatically after the router has been turned off otherwise all working fine. :):)

Lucky you. Three laptops here and all of them have connection problems when resumed after standby. Then again, they are all using the same Intel driver which wasn't designed for Windows 10.

Aside from minor interface bugs, the other half of the issues seem to stem from lack of driver availability. And this god-awful half-combo of traditional Win7 control panel and Win 8 settings panel.

truthspeaker 03-02-2015 16:21

you won't have any problems for basic task. normal use.
so i don't know why people are sacred for?
and works perfectly fine on upgrade on top of windows 8.1. without fresh install.

if you need help installing windows 10 then check Youtube. should be easy.
if a stupid person like me can do it. why can't you?

i can't even spell right need help from dictionary. need help with grammar and punctuation.

MalteseFalcon 03-02-2015 16:30

No comment.

qasdfdsaq 03-02-2015 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35757060)
i can't even spell right need help from dictionary. need help with grammar and punctuation.

First word of truth you've spoken all day.

truthspeaker 03-02-2015 16:34

LOOOOL. I am, whatever you say I am

tweetiepooh 04-02-2015 14:16

Windows 7 DVD and repair CD just don't see my hard disks (SATA), Linux has no worries. Windows 7 is running fine but I don't have a floppy for drivers. Can Win10 work without fuffing around? Can Win 10 go into my old Win 7 RC partition and dual boot to Win 7.

Normally I boot to GRUB2 on the second HD that can load Win 7 or Linux and I did have Windows "loader" of the first HD but that's got broken and I can't repair it (see above).

So what I'd want to do is
1)In BIOS switch boot order to 1st HD (after DVD)
2)Install Win 10 over Win 7 RC and have it repair the boot on HD1 to switch between 7 and 10

Thus
Boot HD1 -> Windows menu (7 and 10)
Boot HD2 (normal) -> GRUB2 menu including Windows -> Windows menu (7 and 10)

Will this work?

qasdfdsaq 04-02-2015 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35757238)
Windows 7 DVD and repair CD just don't see my hard disks (SATA), Linux has no worries. Windows 7 is running fine but I don't have a floppy for drivers. Can Win10 work without fuffing around? Can Win 10 go into my old Win 7 RC partition and dual boot to Win 7.

Windows 10, like all updated installers, has improved driver support for more recent drives and controllers. It can handle many SATA chipsets that Win7 couldn't but whether that includes yours we cannot say without knowing what yours actually is.

Quote:

I did have Windows "loader" of the first HD but that's got broken and I can't repair it (see above).
If you can boot any copy of Windows you can run the same repair from inside Windows itself.

Quote:

Thus
Boot HD1 -> Windows menu (7 and 10)
Boot HD2 (normal) -> GRUB2 menu including Windows -> Windows menu (7 and 10)

Will this work?
Unless you install four copies of Windows, no this will not work. Windows will not automatically manage bootloader entries on any drive except the one it is started from. If you install Windows 10 on HD1, you will not see a boot menu entry for it on HD2 unless you add it manually.

There are command line tools you can use to manipulate both the bootloader and boot configuration data by hand, but they are not the easiest things to work with, and IIRC they changed something between Windows 7 and Windows 8 that makes it a mess to combine.

Stuart 04-02-2015 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35756988)
Lucky you. Three laptops here and all of them have connection problems when resumed after standby. Then again, they are all using the same Intel driver which wasn't designed for Windows 10.

Aside from minor interface bugs, the other half of the issues seem to stem from lack of driver availability. And this god-awful half-combo of traditional Win7 control panel and Win 8 settings panel.

Ahh, the joys of beta testing software.. Yep, I've beta tested a few OSes and every time I've had problems with drivers not being updated.

My experience with Windows 10? Installed it on a few VMs and it runs fine. Installed it to a VHD on my machine, then booted the machine from that VHD, and it booted twice. Now all I get is a black screen when I start it.

Dave42 04-02-2015 18:32

Windows 10 Technical Preview Update Rollup: February 4, 2015

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3036140?wa=wsignin1.0

qasdfdsaq 04-02-2015 18:35

Indeed. At least it's mostly compatible with Win8/8.1 drivers and these issues are likely to be fixed before launch - unlike Vista where drivers weren't updated until a year after it went public!

That said, I also ran the developer preview of Windows 8 before it came out, and I had far fewer issues, I'd say that was a much better overall experience as well even considering the parts that worked as intended. I actually liked the Windows 8 preview and it frustrated me far less.

Incidentally I'm finding Windows 10 uses about 20-40% more power while idling on several laptops, which puts it back on par with Windows XP level power drain. Not particularly unexpected considering the mass of missing drivers...

MalteseFalcon 04-02-2015 20:03

I did the 8 before release and it was awful, bought it for the cheap price and couldn't get on with it and went back to 7. Now I like 8 and am sorely tempted to just download the 10 ISO file on release to get it free and then try it out once proper release comes along.

SnoopZ 09-02-2015 15:27

Microsoft are said to be targeting June 2015 for RTM of Windows 10.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...-is-the-target

Dave42 18-03-2015 10:49

Windows 10 Launching This Summer in 190 Countries and 111 Languages

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...111-languages/

Microsoft says pirated versions of Windows will also get a free upgrade to Windows 10

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...medium=twitter

Stephen 18-03-2015 11:19

Wow am surprised at the non genuine copies getting upgraded but it makes sense if the update is free.

qasdfdsaq 18-03-2015 11:26

Very big strategy change for Microsoft but I can see where they're coming from.

SnoopZ 18-03-2015 12:14

It will annoy the people that bought windows legally.

qasdfdsaq 18-03-2015 12:17

I bought Windows 8.1 legally a few weeks ago because I needed an upgrade from 7 and couldn't be bothered waiting for 10.

I'm not annoyed at all.

Dave42 18-03-2015 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35765612)
It will annoy the people that bought windows legally.

it will kill off the pirates too surely that's a good thing

SnoopZ 18-03-2015 13:17

It will for the first year while it is free for windows 7-8 users, however XP users and the period after 12mths would still get pirated.

alanbjames 18-03-2015 14:11

I have only just upgraded to windows 8.1.

greeninferno 18-03-2015 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35765631)
It will for the first year while it is free for windows 7-8 users, however XP users and the period after 12mths would still get pirated.

yeah is this the plan

get everybody on it then have to pay to get "security updates" going forward.

Dave42 18-03-2015 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35765658)
yeah is this the plan

get everybody on it then have to pay to get "security updates" going forward.

wrong

SnoopZ 18-03-2015 17:06

MS asks for feed back on more new icons, i think they're far better than the other set!

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...tirely-new-set

gba93 18-03-2015 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35765697)
MS asks for feed back on more new icons, i think they're far better than the other set!

I think I'd have to agree.

heero_yuy 18-03-2015 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35765697)

I never understand with the amount of bloat in Windows why MS don't give an option of skins for those who don't like the Fisher Price look. Is it really so difficult to give us conservative (small c) the traditional GUI look aka 95/98/XP and start menu as an option?

It would deflect the criticism.

Dave42 18-03-2015 19:16

new build 10041 Available now on fast ring updates

Dave42 18-03-2015 21:33

all updated to build 10041 here now

Sirius 19-03-2015 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35765782)

Will do it today and see what its like.

MalteseFalcon 19-03-2015 15:33

Is 10 stable enough yet to put on as a main OS? Virtualbox won't work for me, so the only way I can try it is to put it on as the main OS or dual boot. But if it isn't stable enough to do so then I will wait a bit longer.

Dave42 19-03-2015 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35765944)
Is 10 stable enough yet to put on as a main OS? Virtualbox won't work for me, so the only way I can try it is to put it on as the main OS or dual boot. But if it isn't stable enough to do so then I will wait a bit longer.

the new build seems very stable but best to try it as dual boot first I guess so you can deside just got to a app fix for new build you will have to install 9926 first as new build only available on fast ring updates on there at moment of you could wait a week or so till it goes on slow ring then will be iso's

Stop It 20-03-2015 09:12

Quote:

It looks pretty good to me, and Cortana is now active in the UK (Without region changing malarky).

The new sign in screen looks like an improvement too. Will test properly over the weekend. I wouldn't say it's a "Main OS" worthy build yet because features are still changing with each build.

gba93 20-03-2015 10:10

Quote:

Does the update come automatically or do you have to download it - I'm currently running 9926

Dave42 20-03-2015 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35766082)
Does the update come automatically or do you have to download it - I'm currently running 9926

change to fast ring in setting to get it only out for fast at moment

gba93 20-03-2015 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35766102)
change to fast ring in setting to get it only out for fast at moment

Dave42 20-03-2015 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It (Post 35766073)
It looks pretty good to me, and Cortana is now active in the UK (Without region changing malarky).

The new sign in screen looks like an improvement too. Will test properly over the weekend. I wouldn't say it's a "Main OS" worthy build yet because features are still changing with each build.

yes Cortana is very basic does not work too good at moment compaired to usa one but it get better next build I'm sure

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

•Open powershell as administrator
•Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
•Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

for people wanting to try new build and get bug fix