Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub & Virgin Media Business (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33677614)

qasdfdsaq 07-03-2012 12:24

Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Aside from BT FTTC being a better service overall I'd have switched over a long time ago if I knew it was going to cost me any more than £20 not to!

APS 09-03-2012 16:32

Well this discussion continued on the VM communities forum but was just closed by a moderator on that forum - stating that all business internet problems should only be discussed on the phone! Well I don't think he can censor discussion here.

As an update I can confirm that reducing the MTU size in our router has solved the Exchange problem we also encountered after installation (although it was not evident at first).

I since had a call returned from Business Faults who tried to tell me to do the very same fix, i.e. to set the MTU value in the email server or the router (if you have one) depending on type of setup. They were not quite clear as to the best value to use, but something under 1460 was advised.

The guy also told me they had a new version of firmware was being tested "next week". He did not know how it fixes having this restricted MTU (I found most PPPoE networks use 1492) but said they were working on this issue and also some other issue with the tunnel dropping occasionally.

itcomms 09-03-2012 16:51

we are now hitting real problems with downgrading to the 10MB service due to limited bandwidth (Upload speed) with our VoIP Phone System.

so we are really on to a no winner here.

Our offices are serviced by both BT(ADSL Maxi) and (Virgin Media)

to operate we need at least 1.5MB upload speed.

BT can't give us enough bandwidth until FTTC is enabled, Virgin 10MB is not really fast enough, 20MB does not have static IP Address, and 50MB is full of faults.

Leased Lines is £1200 per month, we have now changed the codec on the phone system from G711 to G729 which will lower the bandwidth usage so will keep an eye on this.

I hope VM don't take too long in fixing the issues.

MovedGoalPosts 09-03-2012 17:25

<------ Is slightly worried since his office is about to be upgraded to 50meg on Monday. Not quite sure how the superhub, even with a dynamic IP, is going to integrate into a dual WAN routed system so we can use either cable or and ADSL2 connection if one goes a bit wonky.

qasdfdsaq 09-03-2012 17:25

Does 20mb (performance wise) work for you? If this is business critical, then there are ways of getting a static IP address by bypassing Virgin Media. It's a dirty hack, but does do the job.

Alternatively, some ADSL ISPs offer line bonding, which along with doubling your download speed also doubles your upload speed, but those options are expensive for what you get.

APS 09-03-2012 17:32

Rob: FYI we have a dual WAN device (SonicWall) now with the 50 Mb VM and Zen ADSL (Max) and now email is flowing OK it seems to be functioning OK. We do not have VOIP (other that the occasional Skye call). We did opt for the 5 fixed IPs with a subnet.

ccarmock 09-03-2012 20:59

I see VM decided to shut the thread down on the community forum about this.

However I just wanted to post here (as I can't there!) that changing the config of the Cisco router I have behind the Business Superhub with ip mtu 1460 on the WAN interface and ip tcp adjust-mss 1420 on the internal VLAN1 interface seems to have fixed the email delay problems I had been experiencing.

itcomms 12-03-2012 14:03

are you getting any errors in the logs?

why such a drop in MTU Size? surely this can cause issues with networks sending packets larger then your MTU?

MovedGoalPosts 12-03-2012 14:50

Superhub installed with dynamic IP. Installer had a bit of a fiddle in the street cabinet as he checked signal levels. Ethernet between LAN port and WAN2 port of our Draytek Vigor 2920 dual WAN router as a straight swap for the old Cisco modem. Not even a router reboot and all works fine.

I've disabled the wireless, without any testing of it. No real need for it as the Superhub is on the wrong part of the network configuration to allow any wireless connected devices to obtain stuff from our LAN servers. It's for that reason that I'd suggest in many business locations the Superhub provides more functionality than is needed, and thus may be a tad more expensive to provide to customers than an alternative chocie of a SACM. Seems a shame that the Cisco modem, only a year old, is now confined to a spares shelf to gather dust.

itcomms 12-03-2012 15:01

Rob, do you not have any mail servers?

APS 12-03-2012 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by itcomms (Post 35397987)

why such a drop in MTU Size? surely this can cause issues with networks sending packets larger then your MTU?

On our router when you reduce the MTU size, there is also an option (we have checked) for the router to fragment packets larger than this size going from LAN to WAN.

I believe though that during initialisation of a TCP session between a device and a router, it will say what its maximum MTU size is and the device connecting to it should limit its packet size accordingly.

MovedGoalPosts 12-03-2012 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by itcomms (Post 35398013)
Rob, do you not have any mail servers?

Not on site no. We migrated to the cloud about a year ago, and our user's simply connect to the interweb servers via their locally run Outlook. We'd had too many issues with local server and connection downtime, plus issues with smartphone use that the cloud made sense especially when you could so easily log in from any remote location even if our own stuff was a problem. The cloud system also removes a big headache of local backups.

We don't do much remote or home working, but for those that do I am able to congure our network to give remote login to file shares on the server. The ADSL has static IPs, so dynamic IP on the cable isn't really an issue, especially since they are so sticky.

We do have some 20 users, and internet activity is critical to the business. Originally the VM cable was put in as a backup to the ADSL. Now it's reversing as Cable is offering the faster, more stable speeds than ADSL.

itcomms 12-03-2012 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35396705)
I see VM decided to shut the thread down on the community forum about this.

However I just wanted to post here (as I can't there!) that changing the config of the Cisco router I have behind the Business Superhub with ip mtu 1460 on the WAN interface and ip tcp adjust-mss 1420 on the internal VLAN1 interface seems to have fixed the email delay problems I had been experiencing.

ccarmock 12-03-2012 22:19

No I am not seeing errors in the logs at all now. The Superhub is just reporting some T3 timeouts as I am in a heavily congested area, but that's another story.

I am not seeing errors in the Cisco router logs either, and the errors I was seeing in the SMTP Receive log on Exchange have gone away now too. Email is being delivered quickly.

So MTU of 1460 has really helped for me. As soon as new Business Superhub firmware is available I will try to revert to default settings, but right now this has resolved my immediate issues.

Now just to have the IP Edge network team address my congestion issues! I have had a week of 'no ETA' Today I escalated to the CEO's office and am told that they put a planner on it today, planning should be complete by tomorrow lunchtime and they are working to implement by Friday if all goes well.

Now this leads me onto a further issue with the business superhub. At times congestion is so bad I am getting 100% packet loss. When this happens the upper blue light on the Superhub stops flashing and goes solid blue. If it stays in this state too long sometimes the superhub will not recover and needs a restart in order to work again.

itcomms 13-03-2012 08:17

i'm going to Order a Draytek 3200N Quad Wan Port Router and get Virgin to put us back on 50Mb and test again as the bandwidth of the 10Mb service is causing us issues.

Questions
1. Ask Virgin Meida for a block of 5 IPs?
2. Setup the Draytek router and set MTU to 1460
3. Do we need to change MTU on the Servers?

is there anything else i need to be aware of?

ccarmock 13-03-2012 08:39

I still have the MTU size set on the Exchange server too, but will text with that back at the default and just MTU changed on the router and let you know how I get on.

itcomms 13-03-2012 09:49

Draytek Vigor 3200n Quad-WAN Router now ordered :)

currently running the Linksys E1000 Router with the Cisco 2100 Modem.

can't see the MTU setting within the E1000 router to "Accept large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets"

think this option is only available on the Draytek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35398337)
I still have the MTU size set on the Exchange server too, but will text with that back at the default and just MTU changed on the router and let you know how I get on.

so you suggesting setting the MTU to 1420 on the router?

APS 13-03-2012 10:31

On our router we only had the option to change the MTU size. I believe any device connected should be able to work out the MSS size from the MTU size although there is a specific setting for the CISCO routers I believe relating to packets they reform.

We did not change anything in our Exchange server - I am hoping/believe it should work out what size of packet to use when it negotiates the connection to the gateway (the router). Email is passing through OK now.

For those hoping this particular issue may be solved by a firmware upgrade - it seems unlikely as having done a little more reading it seems to be a feature of running an L2TP tunnel. See this article here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk80...80094c4f.shtml

There are other issues to be fixed though like some VOIP issues and apparently the tunnel going down occasionally and taking a while to restart (to quote the VM tech support guy).

itcomms 13-03-2012 11:05

so even fixing the MTU size, we will still have issues with VoIP??

APS 13-03-2012 12:03

We do not use VOIP, but earlier in this thread someone seemed to have been given information that any VOIP issues might be limited to running the modem in NAT mode.

Some advice was given to go for the subnet of fixed IP addresses which avoids using NAT. ccarmock said he had been running for 39 days without issue in that mode.

ccarmock 14-03-2012 00:47

I am suffering no VoIP issues (apart from when congestion strikes) as APS says. I have the 6 IP routable subnet.

itcomms 14-03-2012 14:52

just spoken to VM about going back to 50MB and use the work around.

Been told that VM are no longer doing 50MB until the issues have been fixed.

NO ETA

ccarmock 14-03-2012 15:05

I had also heard they were suspending new sales of the 30 Mb/s and 50 Mb/s service pending new Superhub firmware. You might be able to make a case to go back to the 50 Mb/s service with the knowledge of the issues, as you had already had that service and rolled back. Ie you're not strictly speaking a new 50 Mb/s customer.

qasdfdsaq 14-03-2012 15:58

Oh wow, admitting a problem and doing something sensible about it. Impressive.

Sephiroth 14-03-2012 16:09

More like the Super Hub strikes again.

Stephen 14-03-2012 16:55

I heard heard about this a couple of weeks ago, and although it will pose a few problems short term, it is better for the long term that they get Netgear to sort out the issues and get a new firmware out ASAP.

itcomms 14-03-2012 19:11

can you provide us an ETA on the release of the new firmware?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35399363)
I heard heard about this a couple of weeks ago, and although it will pose a few problems short term, it is better for the long term that they get Netgear to sort out the issues and get a new firmware out ASAP.

Stephen 16-03-2012 12:05

Sorry, no can do. Its in the hands of Netgear to sort out.

itcomms 16-03-2012 12:12

If Netgear do not class VM as a priority customer and provide a fix then maybe VM should look at other solutions or stick with Cisco.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35400702)
Sorry, no can do. Its in the hands of Netgear to sort out.

General Maximus 16-03-2012 15:20

absolutely, they should be emarrassed with the number of problems they have had with the shub and if i was one of the head honchos at Netgear I would tell them to put everything on hold till it was fixed. Fiascos like the shub not only tarnish VM's reputation but also Netgears.

craigj2k12 16-03-2012 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35400840)
absolutely, they should be emarrassed with the number of problems they have had with the shub and if i was one of the head honchos at Netgear I would tell them to put everything on hold till it was fixed. Fiascos like the shub not only tarnish VM's reputation but also Netgears.

its true

queue the idiots who have a perfect superhub

qasdfdsaq 16-03-2012 17:29

The only way a Superhub would be perfect is if it was shaped like a boob.

ccarmock 16-03-2012 17:50

It has been embarassing for VM for sure. And now to cause them to withdraw their new business broadband services is very bad. But I have to say VMB have done the right thing here as they don't want to make the situation worse. However for business services it makes me think they should ditch the superhub and go with a Cisco device.

The business superhub runs different firmware, and so far I have been hit by two problems with it - high latency & jitter compared with the older 10 MB/s business service I had on a Scientific Atlanta modem.

The other problem is the MTU size issue, which actually might not be a Superhub issue at all, but a limitation of using an L2TP tunnel. However setting MTU to 1460 on the router behind the superhub does workaroudn the problem, so I no longer get delayed email.

Hopefully VMB will push Netgear hard to get new firmware out for these devices so they can start to sell the new services again.

Sephiroth 16-03-2012 18:09

I'm wondering whether your interleave factor on the SH has changed frpm the 10 meg modem. The interleave stats used to be displayed on the VMNG 300, but they are suppressed on the SH (I say cynically to prevent knowledgeable customers from seeing what's going on). That would affect latency.

I also think you're giving credit to VM for an obviously needed decision without chiding them for yet another debacle of releasing something that was not fit for purpose.

Regarding the MTU size, if it woeks on a router behind the SH, then it must be got working by VM on the SH itself. It's why it's there. Why those idiots didn't put modem mde onto the business SH is beyond me; false reasoning I'm sure.

ccarmock 16-03-2012 18:24

Good point about interleave. However I also have the static IP subnet option, which means the Superhub forms an L2TP tunnel to the VM network in Birmingham (I am in Surrey), so my breakout point on the internet is Birmingham, so that will add some latency. Interleave would affect it too as you say.

What I have is a Cisco router behind the Superhub. Since I have a routed subnet the Superhub is not performing any NAT, so that is done on the Cisco 892W I have behind it. On the WAN interface of that router I have the ip mtu set to 1460 and my delayed email issue has gone away.

I had understood that a future firmware release for the business superhub will add modem mode. However I am not sure if the formation of the L2TP tunnel comes from the router or modem side of the Superhub. If the router side it would likely not be viable for the static IP options.

Current business superhub firmware is: V5.5.2R04-BU which is the same base as the residential version. I wonder if this means it's derived from R04 of the residential firmware!

craigj2k12 16-03-2012 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35400964)
I'm wondering whether your interleave factor on the SH has changed frpm the 10 meg modem. The interleave stats used to be displayed on the VMNG 300, but they are suppressed on the SH (I say cynically to prevent knowledgeable customers from seeing what's going on). That would affect latency.

I also think you're giving credit to VM for an obviously needed decision without chiding them for yet another debacle of releasing something that was not fit for purpose.

Regarding the MTU size, if it woeks on a router behind the SH, then it must be got working by VM on the SH itself. It's why it's there. Why those idiots didn't put modem mde onto the business SH is beyond me; false reasoning I'm sure.

interleaving on cable doesnt make as much difference as it does on adsl, a matter of 1 or 2ms on cable, whereas the same increase of interleaving on adsl would put it up 30 or 40ms

Sephiroth 16-03-2012 23:39

Craigie

I suppose you're right about the amount of latency added in DOCSIS purely down to interleaving.

So it's back to that buffering tjing. Bonded channels complicate matters. Data doesn't arrive in sequence, and each channel can have different impairments; hence the high amount of buffering necessary to assemble a packet. Then there's the interleaving to further assist the FEC functions which adds to the buffer requirements.

So you can't avoid higher latency in DOCSIS and my sense tells me that it would increase further with 8 bonded downstream channels.

Or have I misunderstood something?

qasdfdsaq 17-03-2012 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35400974)
Good point about interleave. However I also have the static IP subnet option, which means the Superhub forms an L2TP tunnel to the VM network in Birmingham (I am in Surrey), so my breakout point on the internet is Birmingham, so that will add some latency. Interleave would affect it too as you say.

Actually it's in Bradford, after going through Manchester.

ccarmock 17-03-2012 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35401127)
Actually it's in Bradford, after going through Manchester.

Sorry yes you are absolutely right. Been a long day! :)

craigj2k12 17-03-2012 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35401115)
Craigie

I suppose you're right about the amount of latency added in DOCSIS purely down to interleaving.

So it's back to that buffering tjing. Bonded channels complicate matters. Data doesn't arrive in sequence, and each channel can have different impairments; hence the high amount of buffering necessary to assemble a packet. Then there's the interleaving to further assist the FEC functions which adds to the buffer requirements.

So you can't avoid higher latency in DOCSIS and my sense tells me that it would increase further with 8 bonded downstream channels.

so are we saying here that the superhub uses additional buffering becuase it bonds more channels? I also thought the added buffering compared to the VMNG was on the upstream, which goes back to not making sense as the VMNG has the same amount of upstreams

Iggie would know but it seems the mods here have peed him off, maybe time to make use of the better moderation over at the alternative cable forum?

qasdfdsaq 17-03-2012 00:44

Buffering on the DOCSIS layer is usually configurable based on information sent from the CMTS to the modem (i.e. config file).

Has anyone actually done any tests to measure the upstream/downstream buffers on the SH? (e.g. Netalyzr or the few better around)

craigj2k12 17-03-2012 00:47

I can test the superhub, but nothing to compare it to, if someone could run it on the VMNG, but then that would make it a bit unfair as its on a different part of the network

qasdfdsaq 17-03-2012 00:49

The buffering is configured as a modem function so the part of the network shouldn't matter (unless they use different buffering setups on the same modem in different areas, which is possible, in theory)

craigj2k12 17-03-2012 00:54

http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu...9-402e-95d6/rd

qasdfdsaq 17-03-2012 01:40

Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 229 ms, Downlink is good +

Unusually low for VM. Still, Netalyzr is not one of the better buffering tests, I just can't dig out the good one I used recently

Chrysalis 17-03-2012 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35401115)
Craigie

except the excess buffering is on the upstream and that currently has no bonding?

Sephiroth 17-03-2012 10:15

Craigie

The main truth of my previous post was that bonding means that packets need to be re-constructed from the jumble, which includes jumble cause by interleaving. The higher the number of bonded channels, the greater the amount of re-assembly needed. Equals latency.

craigj2k12 17-03-2012 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35401225)
Craigie

The main truth of my previous post was that bonding means that packets need to be re-constructed from the jumble, which includes jumble cause by interleaving. The higher the number of bonded channels, the greater the amount of re-assembly needed. Equals latency.

It will increase, but not by a noticeable amount, whereas bonding 8 channels compared to 4 will add <1ms, buffering more at the modem can mean 10ms+ (obviously depending on how many are buffered) - either way - the latency difference between superhub and VMNG isnt to do with channels, as when I was testing both, I only had 4 downstreams on both

And if you find Kymmy's TBB monitor, thats quite good (for a VM graph) and she is connected to 8 downstreams

ccarmock 18-03-2012 11:07

Latest issues with the Business service.... The congestion causing poor performance has been improved greatly. Speeds of 48 Mb/s most of the time seem the norm again. Getting around 5.4 Mb/s up too which is good too.

However in Friday all day theer were drops and loss of sync. Suspected duff Superhub but then found to be due to a low SNR issue in the area. Supposedly fixed Saturday morning. Indeed the service was stable until Saturday evening and then overnight my think broadband graph shows lots of drops, then at 8 am dropped permanently with the blue light on solid on the Superhub. reboot fixes it.

Faults tell me they are seeing 50+ tunnel drops over the past 24 hours and I am likely to be suffering from a known firmware issue in the Business Superhub which causes a tunnel drop with UDP packets. I haven't experienced that with an IP Phone I have here, but do have a VPN tunnel setup too.

The person who diagnosed this as a firmware issue did say there are some limited field trials of a new version underway right now, so it may not be long before release.

The lady I am talking to in business complaints has arranged for me to be contacted by the team next week potentially to participate in that trial.

itcomms 18-03-2012 11:15

don't expect the firmware fix to be bug free from previous experence.

I have put a Draytek 3200 with QOS control in on our connection, hoping to use this router when we go back to 50Mb

the fixes are taking way too long to be released. a fix should be sent out within a few days of the bug being noticed / reported.

ccarmock 18-03-2012 11:21

Agreed - they should be able to turn these around far quicker. Godo to hear a new version is in test thoguh.

APS 12-04-2012 17:06

Any news on this yet. Our service has been pretty good, although we just had an incident today where we lost connectivity even though the SH said it was connected. I guess it was an issue with the broken tunnel (a known issue) as a reboot fixed it. Better firmware would be good!

ccarmock 12-04-2012 17:52

I have the beta version of the business superhub firmware on my box now. I've had it there just over a week. So far most of the issues appear to be fixed. The Microsoft Exchange problem with some inbound messages seems to ahve been fixed in that the MTU size of 1460 workaround can be removed and messages through ok.

Also the problem with the tunnel drops seems to have been fixed too. Also I get no more reboots of the Superhub.

An issue not yet fixed is the occasional lockup of the GUI when tryign to login to the Superhub.

I gather this version is looking good though and that it should turn into a full roll out shortly.

There was a major outage this morning - for me a reboot of the Superhub didn't bring service back - it seemed down from 4am aprox until around 9am, and came back without me doing anything.

Nickjc 12-04-2012 20:21

I had the 100Mb residential service and Superhub installed yesterday and yes I am now unable to receive mail on my SMTP server. I note that the that the problem appears MTU related and we're waiting for new firmware. Unfortunately my residential Superhub does not appear to have the option to change the MTU setting to 1460 as suggested. Any ideas?

I've also tried the Superhub to modem mode with my old Netgear FVX538 router, however I get a very choppy connection and bandwidth chopping between 15Mb and 50Mb in this configuration. This config was working fine with VM's 50Mb modem.

Can anyone recommend a replacement modem/router that actually works with 100Mb service?

Skie 12-04-2012 21:58

If you still have the 50meg modem get that connected and re-activated.

General Maximus 12-04-2012 21:59

the shub in modem mode shouldnt be causing you any issues so I would leave it as it is. As far as routers go (of which I do recommend you buy your own instead of using the shub) I strongly recommend Linksys routers for both performance and reliability. I would look at the E2000 as an entry level modem (gigabit ports) and then the E3000 for dual band wi-fi and a couple of other extra features. I have been using Linksys routers for donkeys and I have currently got the E3000 and I would never use any other brand of router.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35413262)
If you still have the 50meg modem get that connected and re-activated.

Something else I recommend, I too have the VMNG300 which works perfectly fine on 100mbit despite what the plebs at VM say. You cant go wrong with the vmng300 and a Linksys router :)

ccarmock 12-04-2012 22:34

Thsi thread is about the Business superhub firmware, which is not the same as the residential service.

Nickjc 12-04-2012 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35413273)
Thsi thread is about the Business superhub firmware, which is not the same as the residential service.

Apologies for posting here though I appreciate the advice received.

ccarmock 12-04-2012 23:33

You might want to post in a new thread , as the MTU size for the residential service might be causing your Exxchange issues, and there might be a fix... but on the business service the L2TP tunnel contributes, which doesn't apply to the residential service.

APS 13-04-2012 09:17

In response to ccarmock, I wonder how they have cured the MTU size issue as this is an unavoidable restriction of using L2TP tunnels. I guess the fix is to properly broadcast (somehow) the reduced MTU size the modem can deal with so devices passing data to it are warned.

I have seen the GUI lockup issue with the home SH but not seen it on the business unit yet. It has always concerned me that there is no logout options on those screens which means you can close and open a browser and get back in. I guess there is a timeout?

We too saw an outage on Thursday morning, but could find no website which confirmed this was maintenance or something else?

MovedGoalPosts 13-04-2012 10:05

Does the new business firmware include an option allowing you to remotely reboot the business superhub? I can't believe that function is missing from the current setup, which is a bit of a pain when it's the only thing on an entire office network that can't be properly managed from a computer.

ccarmock 13-04-2012 10:36

On the R04-BU business firmware I had to manually set the MTU on the Cisco router that sits behind the Superhub in order to get incoming email to MS Exchange to work correctly. However on the trial firmware manually setting the MTU is not required. The MTU on the path is still 1460 - as you say a function of the L2TP tunnel, so I think you are right this new firmware is correctly advertising the MTU to equipment downstream.

The GUI lockup on login seems to happen fairly regularly with me on the business firmware. That bug is still present in the trial release, though I understand a fix is being worked on.

I do have a logout option, both on the released R04 build and the trial build it's the final option on the menu on the left hand side.

I called about the Thursday morning outage and as soon as I got through to buisiness faults he asked was it a business cable service at fault and told me it was affecting many customers.

APS 13-04-2012 10:57

Yes I just found the logout button whilst looking for a way of restarting the modem for Rob - I could not find a way to restart apart from changing a low level setting to force a reboot, but such a change would not be desirable for most.

The interesting thing about the logout is it is only shown on the "Advanced" menu, it is not on the normal front screens.

ccarmock 13-04-2012 13:04

Agreed - a logout option isn't really that advanced is it :-)

I'll give some feedback to my contact to request a reboot option.... not sure what'll happen but if I don't ask!

MovedGoalPosts 13-04-2012 16:01

We actually have a dual wan setup at work. Even earlier this week the VM connection died, but ADSL kept going which allowed our remote IT support people to check stuff remotely. That was fine until they found it was the Superhub needing a reboot and couldn't do that. As I was out of the office, I gather secretarial staff were then scratching their head trying to work out what plugs had to be physically pulled to do a reboot, despite the fact the IT people could log into the Superhub. It's an amazing omission.

Mick Fisher 13-04-2012 16:11

Hasn't the business superhub got the same on/off switch that the residential superhub has?

If you are sat facing the big VN button it's underneath on the left side.

MovedGoalPosts 13-04-2012 16:48

Yes, it does have that button. But that isn't very helpful if your IT support guy is on the end of a phone line, or even within an office if you are doing virtually every other troubleshooting task via your computer. It's compounded by the IT guy having to ask someone who isn't into IT to find something to switch it on and off again. When that thing looks like something they don't want to be touching, is mounted up a wall,safely out of accidental reach so they need to find a stepladder, and the people phoning the IT support company reporting a fault with their internet service because they can't get email, but aren't even capable of remembering their password when that has to be reset every few months, you just know a reboot option on a menu would have been so much easier.

ccarmock 13-04-2012 16:48

Yes the business superhub is the exact same hardware as the residential one - it just runs a different version of the firmware. The on/off switch is there.

Mick Fisher 14-04-2012 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 35413532)
Yes, it does have that button. But that isn't very helpful if your IT support guy is on the end of a phone line, or even within an office if you are doing virtually every other troubleshooting task via your computer. It's compounded by the IT guy having to ask someone who isn't into IT to find something to switch it on and off again. When that thing looks like something they don't want to be touching, is mounted up a wall,safely out of accidental reach so they need to find a stepladder, and the people phoning the IT support company reporting a fault with their internet service because they can't get email, but aren't even capable of remembering their password when that has to be reset every few months, you just know a reboot option on a menu would have been so much easier.

Yeah well that's the superhub for you. :( The only worthwhile "feature" on it is "Modem Mode".

A bigger collection of bugs in one box than even the Insect House at London Zoo. :)

I always have to smile when I read subs have installed their superhubs in the loft. :LOL:

Daveoc64 14-04-2012 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 35413511)
It's an amazing omission.

Indeed it is.

It would be useful for the consumer firmware too.

Skie 14-04-2012 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 35413750)
I always have to smile when I read subs have installed their superhubs in the loft. :LOL:

Its not as big a derp as you probably think. If they didn't have the hub in the loft they would have a modem. Can't reboot those either.

But not having that sort of functionality on a router, at least the "business class" one, is a pretty stupid omission.

accsys 16-04-2012 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35413175)
I have the beta version of the business superhub firmware on my box now.

I don't suppose this new firmware has a modem only mode does it? It would be so much better if we could choose a decent router for ourselves!

ccarmock 16-04-2012 18:46

No there are no new features in the trial firmware. It's purely a bugfix release. So sorry no modem mode.

When I initially signed up for the business service I was told that modem
Mode would be available in the future. However have more recently been to it may never be offered on the business Superhub due to the need for the L2TP tunnel to provide fixed IP addresses.

I have heard one view that the modem side of the device forms the tunnel and another view that the router code does this. If the latter is true that might explain the lack of modem mode.

If used with a routable subnet option though some of the router features are not used. Ie the device is in no NAT mode in this config.

General Maximus 16-04-2012 19:59

the router defo forms the tunnel which is why should want them to release modem mode (surely it cant be that hard because they have already done it for residential) and then you can buy a proper router which will do it for you *cough* Cisco

Sephiroth 16-04-2012 20:13

To amplify mon General's remarks, L2TP can be formed at any CPE (e.g. PC or router) and the job of the cable modem is then to forward data at the Data Link Layer.

The redidential SH in modem mode adequately handles this. IMO there'll be some head up their backside reason for not offering modem mode on the business SH.

ccarmock 16-04-2012 20:57

I agree - and nothing would please me more than to form the tunnel on the Cisco 892W I have sitting behind the business superhub, but from what they have told me they won't support that as an option.

Since they will not supply business cable broadband unless the actual cable service already exists now I am not sure how serious this product is to VMB any more.

I agree it can't be too hard. The core firmware is the same.

The release version for business users is 5.5.2R04-BU I suspect derived from the same base 5.5.2 version used on the residential device. I am not sure if this means it's a derivation of R04 residential firmware htough or whether build numbers don't correspond in any way. However it shouldn't be rocket science to port features.

minesht 02-12-2014 23:17

Hi All,

My first post I actually have access to a business virgin superhub 2 with the option to enable modem mode.

Problem is Virgin said it does work but is not supported, so I have to figure out how configure the Draytek 2820 myself.

The reason I am changing is the previous firmware used to loose all its setting and the new firmware seems to crash the hub whenever anything big happens, e.g. a user upgraded so dropbox pro and started to upload all his file to this and the superhub died every hour.

We have the 5 IP address option with virgin and although I worked in IT for 25 years for the last year I have been focusing on other things so my knowledge is a bit less so some to the technical things you guys have been talking about (L2TP for connecting form modem to VM) I had not idea it did this ( if it have that right).

My plan is to just put the same setting that I type into the super hub into the Draytek instead and see if that works, and if not add the username and password that I would normally type into the superhub after it looses its settings.

I'll let you know how I get on and if anyone has done this already let me know as it will be easier than trying to work this out myself.

ccarmock 03-12-2014 00:13

Good luck and do let us know if you get the tunnel and therefore fixed IP addresses working.

One thing I'll add though is if you have the fixed IP options your Superhub is s Superhub 1 and you have the 50 Mb/s option.

You might have seen reference in the user interface to hardware version 2.00. But that's still a supethub 1

minesht 03-12-2014 01:48

He he,

Wishful thinking I would get this working on my first attempt.

I'm using mobile to post this.

Yes your right it is Superhub 1,

On the Draytek the options I have on wan to don't seem to make sense to me. I'm guessing I need to select pptp/l2tb tab and enable l2tp, but then this asks for

server address, which I don't know so I left blank

Gateway address, which I'm guessing is the gateway address specified by vm on their guide to setting up with 5 IP addresses.

Username I guess is the one they supplied with cable. Vmbusiness Net on the end and also password below this.

Ppp setup I left as default, pap or chap.

Then another bit that confused me is it not only has IP address assignment method and wan IP setting.

Just guessing again, but I set the wan IP assignment to the first of the usable IP addresses and the wan IP network setting as the network IP and mask on the setup sheet from vm.

This did not work.

Any ideas what I should try next?

---------- Post added at 01:48 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Looks like to speak to someone at vm that actually knows something you have to call their support at 1AM.

The person I spoke to confirmed that they have had customers with Draytek router, 5 IP addresses working on modem mode, but he could not confirm which Draytek model.

I will speak to Draytek later today when they open, but so far have had not luck with the old 2820.

I think k he was trying to hint at entering PPP username and password in vm modem before enabling modem mode so I'll try that before I leave.

johnnyboyleeds 21-01-2015 10:44

Hi Minesht, did you get the L2TP tunnel working. I have a similar problem. The VM guys will give me a username/password, but no server or endpoint address for the tunnel.

any info that you have would be useful

John