Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

wildfruit 14-10-2019 19:46

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Just tried a little test on my second V6 that is WiFi not hard wired. Netflix takes one second or less. IPlayer takes 4 seconds. Seems quick enough.

OLD BOY 14-10-2019 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36013883)
Hello all- my v6 in my boxroom is incredibly quick (this is where the box connects from outside. the downstairs bedroom is also quick but its just below my bedroom so makes sense.....)

Back room doesnt have the same wonder, signal is low. tivo box often fails to connect etc. so much so that the tv guide isnt connected and then you try to check another channel it goes back to the log in screen.

any suggestions? they're just sending a new box out at this point. will this fix ? i think its more a network issue in my house to go from 300meg in my room and then barely any wireless in the backroom which is 2 metres away

It might be gour wifi signal, but I would point out that the V6 is far quicker than the TiVo. Maybe you need one of those wifi boosters, although I don't know how good they are.

fox35 14-10-2019 20:34

Quote:

Hello all- my v6 in my boxroom is incredibly quick (this is where the box connects from outside. the downstairs bedroom is also quick but its just below my bedroom so makes sense.....)

Back room doesnt have the same wonder, signal is low. tivo box often fails to connect etc. so much so that the tv guide isnt connected and then you try to check another channel it goes back to the log in screen.

any suggestions? they're just sending a new box out at this point. will this fix ? i think its more a network issue in my house to go from 300meg in my room and then barely any wireless in the backroom which is 2 metres away

I had a similar problem with connection drop outs on my 2nd V6 box through Wifi in the bedroom. I split the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz in the Hub 3 settings menu and reconnected to the Virgin Media Service Now in the V6 box setting, with no problems since. Now the bedroom WiFi box is just as fast if not equal to the main living room wired box. Also, I assume you have tried disconnecting all your unused "other" devices or turned on the Hub 3 "intelligent" connect setting in the Hub 3 menu?

Tricky Trevor 15-10-2019 06:29

Quote:

Vince,Download the Virgin Connect app onto your phone and test your wifi for blackspots. I did this and they sent we free wifi extenders for the weak signal to the back bedroom

1701-e 15-10-2019 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 36013943)
Vince,Download the Virgin Connect app onto your phone and test your wifi for blackspots. I did this and they sent we free wifi extenders for the weak signal to the back bedroom

I did the same and it made a big difference around the house. 5ghz throughout.

heavyside 20-10-2019 11:06

Recently my V6 has recorded programmes that it has already recorded. It's happened twice in the last week or so with unwatched recordings, the most recent example being Match of the Day on Saturday evening and then the Sunday morning repeat both on BBC One. I don't know if this is a sign of a faulty box or the EPG incorrectly tagging repeats as 'new'. Anyone experienced anything similar?

cheekyangus 20-10-2019 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36014493)
Recently my V6 has recorded programmes that it has already recorded. It's happened twice in the last week or so with unwatched recordings, the most recent example being Match of the Day on Saturday evening and then the Sunday morning repeat both on BBC One. I don't know if this is a sign of a faulty box or the EPG incorrectly tagging repeats as 'new'. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Faulty boxes don't result in wrongly recorded programmes, that's always either series link settings or the EPG data being wrong, and usually the latter. So I think your second guess is correct, the Sunday morning repeat was likely wrongly tagged.

ozsat 20-10-2019 11:49

There were no duplications of Match of the Day here using a SL+.

Was the first recording complete?

heavyside 20-10-2019 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36014501)
There were no duplications of Match of the Day here using a SL+.

Was the first recording complete?

I assume both recordings were complete - I only watched the first one. It was a one-off recording (rather than a series link plus) and used the default setting of 'new and reruns' with 5 mins added padding but this should not have duplicated an unwatched recording made only a few hours previously. My suspicion is that the rerun was wrongly tagged with 'new' as the V6 has been behaving normally for all other functions.

On the bright side a duplicate recording is preferable to a missed one (which has happened in the past - again usually as a result of misinformation on the EPG).

ozsat 20-10-2019 15:44

The NEW tag is nothing to do with "recording as NEW". I wondered if the first recording was incomplete and so marked as a not recorded. I didn't get the Sunday repeat here - so doesn't seem to be a data issue.

A one-off recording does not prompt you for 'new and reruns' - that only comes up when Series Links are selected.

heavyside 20-10-2019 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36014516)
The NEW tag is nothing to do with "recording as NEW". I wondered if the first recording was incomplete and so marked as a not recorded. I didn't get the Sunday repeat here - so doesn't seem to be a data issue.

A one-off recording does not prompt you for 'new and reruns' - that only comes up when Series Links are selected.

It remains a mystery.

OLD BOY 20-10-2019 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36014519)
It remains a mystery.

The only thing I can think of is that two recordings were set (eg one for BBC1 and the other for BBC1HD).

spiderplant 20-10-2019 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36014519)
It remains a mystery.

If you've deleted them, please can you fish them out of the bin, then have a look at the metadata in more detail? (Channel, start time, duration etc). I want to know what happened!

heavyside 21-10-2019 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36014530)
If you've deleted them, please can you fish them out of the bin, then have a look at the metadata in more detail? (Channel, start time, duration etc). I want to know what happened!

I've no idea how to retrieve any metadata but I fished the recordings from the deleted folder. The only difference that I could see initially is that the first recoding was 1.30 long and the second 1.40. I am not someone who views recordings through to the bitter end (such as the credits to movies and 'in the next episode' trailers) and I delete them once I have seen what interests me. So, if the first recoding was incomplete for some reason, I would not have been aware of it. Of course this raises the question of why the first recording was cut short (I don't recall any overrun of the previous programme at the start of the recording) if indeed that's the reason for the second recording of the same programme.

spiderplant 21-10-2019 10:49

Saturday's showing was scheduled to be 1:30 long, and Sunday's 1:35, so you may have got two complete recordings, allowing for padding. Were they both recorded from the same channel?

Are you sure you haven't got a Series Link or WishList that recorded one of them? Another possibility is one was a Suggestion?