Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

denphone 05-10-2019 11:20

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36012821)
Wouldnt it be a good guess considering we are moving away from TiVo software.

But who says we are moving away from TiVo software?.

OLD BOY 05-10-2019 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36012817)
I thought we were moving to Horizon? Dont LG use those boxes in Europe?

The Horizon 4 uses RDK software.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018...4-tv-platform/

The design of the new Horizon 4 set-top box is the same as Virgin Media’s V6 device, but the UK version, which is now used by nearly two million customers, runs on TiVo software while the new Liberty deployment was developed using RDK.

RDK is a platform that is managed by Liberty Global, Comcast Cable and Charter Communications. However, Virgin Media’s relationship with TiVo pre-dates Liberty’s 2013 takeover of the UK operator and remains in place.

jb66 05-10-2019 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36012822)
But who says we are moving away from TiVo software?.

Virgin have to pay Tivo to use Tivo software, its logical that Liberty Global would want its biggest cable company to use its own software

cheekyangus 05-10-2019 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 36012860)
Virgin have to pay Tivo to use Tivo software, its logical that Liberty Global would want its biggest cable company to use its own software

I read somewhere that many PVRs/DVRs have features that use Tivo patents, and I believe Horizon does, so Tivo will get some money still.

Raider999 06-10-2019 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 36012810)
A possible specification for Virgin V7 box?

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-TV-V6-Upgrade

The little I can glean - the link gives a page which continually reloads - I have lost the will to try to read it all.

A step in the right direction with a 2Tb drive but having 2 options of 6 or 4 tuners would seem to be a backward step.

It would seem this is a stand-alone set top box for sale, however it could form the base for a Future Virgin box.

oliver1948uk 06-10-2019 14:01

That link is completely stable on my phone

jfman 06-10-2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36011862)
Has Virgin even pushed to have it?

Virgin have sent out surveys to customers discussing the TV service and showing mock up “future” user interfaces. It was Horizon.

Not a gimme, but if a Virgin keep TiVo it’ll be TiVo software running on Horizon boxes.

fox35 06-10-2019 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36012978)
Virgin have sent out surveys to customers discussing the TV service and showing mock up “future” user interfaces. It was Horizon.

Not a gimme, but if a Virgin keep TiVo it’ll be TiVo software running on Horizon boxes.

Both the Horizon 4 and TiVo software run on the same box, "Project EOS" Box by ARRIS. The VM version in the UK is just branded V6, referring to its 6 tuners. However, the European version does not have a hard drive, so uses The Cloud for recording and storage. But essentially they are the same boxes with the same hardware, but running different software according to territory.
Both Liberty Global and TiVo renewed their licensing contract just last year, so the TiVo software will still be here for a while at least, albeit as a full User Interface or patents used in the Horizon software.
https://www.multichannel.com/news/ti...al-deal-416177
https://www.libertyglobal.com/libert...orm-horizon-4/

denphone 14-10-2019 09:52

Virgin Apps & Games section now reduced to 22 apps from 31 apps.

Well that is a long way from hundreds of apps that is for sure.

Mr K 14-10-2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36013799)

Could reduce it to one as far as I'm concerned (iPlayer), and that's quicker to access via my smart TV.

RobboEdin 14-10-2019 12:23

Quote:

Are the Games now being delivered differently?
Select the Games, rather than All, and see what happens.

OLD BOY 14-10-2019 13:29

Quote:

It's only the games that have disappeared, but there appears to be a lot more content in the 'Games' section.

The video streaming apps are going nowhere, Den. Expect more to be added before much longer.

denphone 14-10-2019 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36013821)
It's only the games that have disappeared, but there appears to be a lot more content in the 'Games' section.

The video streaming apps are going nowhere, Den. Expect more to be added before much longer.

Yes l have noticed that now thanks as there are certainly far more games in the games section then before.

We shall see how many video streaming apps are added in the coming months OB.

alwaysabear 14-10-2019 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36013804)
Could reduce it to one as far as I'm concerned (iPlayer), and that's quicker to access via my smart TV.

All apps are quicker to Access via my smart TV.

vincerooney 14-10-2019 19:26

Hello all- my v6 in my boxroom is incredibly quick (this is where the box connects from outside. the downstairs bedroom is also quick but its just below my bedroom so makes sense.....)

Back room doesnt have the same wonder, signal is low. tivo box often fails to connect etc. so much so that the tv guide isnt connected and then you try to check another channel it goes back to the log in screen.

any suggestions? they're just sending a new box out at this point. will this fix ? i think its more a network issue in my house to go from 300meg in my room and then barely any wireless in the backroom which is 2 metres away