Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33670455)

Andy C 27-02-2011 18:50

Re: TiVo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus125 (Post 35183283)
Have you thought about this........

Maybe the SD is perfectly fine on the Tivo but the HD is much better than the old boxes. So people are thinking the difference in quality is down to poor SD but its actually due to the enhanced HD quality

Surely nobody is so thick that because HD is so sharp the fact the SD image is poor is just an illusion! Personally I think there's no difference between the HD on V= and TiVo, but the SD is quite a bit worse. I've had TiVo a week and it still bugs me watching SD shows. V+ was crisp, this is soft like there's a mist on the screen, or the picture has been zoomed rather than upscaled.

It's a fantastic box, just has this one, serious let down.

Marcus125 27-02-2011 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 35183296)
Surely nobody is so thick that because HD is so sharp the fact the SD image is poor is just an illusion! Personally I think there's no difference between the HD on V= and TiVo, but the SD is quite a bit worse. I've had TiVo a week and it still bugs me watching SD shows. V+ was crisp, this is soft like there's a mist on the screen.

It's a fantastic box, just has this one, serious let down.

Surely the scaler chip inside is atleast as good as the one in the old box? So maybe a software update is all thats needed to rectify this?

Andy C 27-02-2011 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus125 (Post 35183298)
Surely the scaler chip inside is atleast as good as the one in the old box? So maybe a software update is all thats needed to rectify this?

I'm hoping so, but it's usually down to the chip. I would have thought it would be the same as used in the VHD box as both are manufactured by Cisco and by all accounts that upscales well.

TonyHoyle 27-02-2011 19:08

I've compared the SD picture to the one from the internal freesat tuner on my TV and they're basically identical, so I don't think it's as bad as some are making out.

The tivo also has the ability to produce native 576i and let the TV do the scaling, but that doesn't currently work, alas. Once that's working there won't be an issue.

Andy C 27-02-2011 19:30

My TVs built in FreeviewHD scaling was very soft compared to the V+ also, infact it looked awful in comparison. So the V+ did a much better job than my TV. Unfortunately the TiVo is very similar. I do wonder if TiVo is upscaling at all, or zooming to the output resolution.

Marcus125 27-02-2011 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 35183324)
My TVs built in FreeviewHD scaling was very soft compared to the V+ also, infact it looked awful in comparison. So the V+ did a much better job than my TV. Unfortunately the TiVo is very similar. I do wonder if TiVo is upscaling at all, or zooming to the output resolution.

I would suggest going into the Tivo settings but you seem to have a good idea of what you're on about.

So that tells me you've already been through the settings probably 100 times to see if there is an option that may not be enabled somewhere. Have VM commented on the SD picture?

I've read in a few places the Tivo premiere can display at 1080p but cant upscale at all. But this VM tivo is not made by tivo its cisco.

noel43 27-02-2011 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesty (Post 35183202)
I was all geared up for that phone call In readiness with a yes. But the whole thing about the PQ being weaker on SD channels has begun to seriously put me off. I have one of the Samsung led back lit tv's that highlight any weaknesses in picture quality. So I'm in two minds now. Not good...

I am watching on a 40" sony led backlit tv and I think the SD picture is better then the Samsung v+ box I had. The HD picture seems better also.

loeb 27-02-2011 19:51

Thinking about it, i think i'm going to wait a while before i take the plunge.
Looking at the posts on here and Virgins help & support forums it looks like a lot of people are having problems or its not quite what they thought it would be.
I'll wait untill they've ironed out the wrinkles.

muppetman11 27-02-2011 19:54

My question is will sky sports red button be available on TIVO at same time as VM other STB's ?

daz100 27-02-2011 20:00

The SD picture is worse. I am sorry but that is a fact.

HD is fine and the menus are stunning but SD does not compare to the SA V+ box.

Andy C 27-02-2011 20:23

I've enabled all resolutions on the tivo, 576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i. I've noticed it's auto-switching to 1080i for HD and down to 720p for SD. I'm beginning to think there is no scaler and it's left to the TV.

PhlangePhace 27-02-2011 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 35183361)
I've enabled all resolutions on the tivo, 576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i. I've noticed it's auto-switching to 1080i for HD and down to 720p for SD. I'm beginning to think there is no scaler and it's left to the TV.

Does that mean it's time for you to buy a new TV then, as your TV has a carp scaler? :devsmoke: :p:

Marcus125 27-02-2011 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhlangePhace (Post 35183365)
Does that mean it's time for you to buy a new TV then, as your TV has a carp scaler? :devsmoke: :p:

Either that or (going by how you see things) Tivo has a crap scaler.

Apparently Tivo is state of the art now to me this means its FULLY LOADED with the latest tech for what purpose it serves.

So I guess this means it has a powerful scaler chip. Well atleast one better than them £25 HDMI upscaling dvd players in Tescos

muppetman11 27-02-2011 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus125 (Post 35183368)
Either that or (going by how you see things) Tivo has a crap scaler.

Apparently Tivo is state of the art now to me this means its FULLY LOADED with the latest tech for what purpose it serves.

So I guess this means it has a powerful scaler chip. Well atleast one better than them £25 HDMI upscaling dvd players in Tescos

Does Jeremy Darroch pay you to come on here LOL :rolleyes:

Marcus125 27-02-2011 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35183372)
Does Jeremy Darroch pay you to come on here LOL :rolleyes:

Does Neil Berkett pay you?

All I pointed was that if Tivo is "state of the art" then it will contain the latest tech for the purpose it was built for.