Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

papa smurf 28-02-2017 22:06

Re: BREXIT

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35887914)
First possible hump in the Parliamentary process of Brexit tomorrow: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39121562

The Lords might send it back to the Commons in order to seek assurances that EU citizens will be able to stay. I think this is something that is likely to happen anyway, it's more a soft protest to show some resistance. I can't see a scenario where this doesn't happen. It's too expensive and logistically difficult to deport all EU citizens, businesses would hit the roof and the uproar would be difficult to deal with. I think you would even see large scale protests and resistance. Imagine the police trying to rock up one morning in South Kensington to deport French citizens, not gonna happen.

well if they need help ;)

pip08456 28-02-2017 22:16

Quote:

First possible hump in the Parliamentary process of Brexit tomorrow: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39121562

The Lords might send it back to the Commons in order to seek assurances that EU citizens will be able to stay. I think this is something that is likely to happen anyway, it's more a soft protest to show some resistance. I can't see a scenario where this doesn't happen. It's too expensive and logistically difficult to deport all EU citizens, businesses would hit the roof and the uproar would be difficult to deal with. I think you would even see large scale protests and resistance. Imagine the police trying to rock up one morning in South Kensington to deport French citizens, not gonna happen.

May stated in the beginning she wanted EU citizens to be given the right to stay in the country and British citizens should be given the same rights.

It was the EU that said no, it would not be discussed until A50 had been triggered.

The only thing I can see happening is that when A50 is triggered any EU citizens entering the country from that date will not have right of residence, anyone before then will.

Damien 28-02-2017 22:18

I don't see it being an issue. I think the EU are playing hardball to avoid mini-deals being struck ahead of the talks. This will probably be the first deal done along with Visa free travel between EEA countries and the UK.

passingbat 28-02-2017 22:55

Quote:

EU citizens here before the referendum should have been given the right to stay, straight after the Referendum result. Brexit leaders wanted this to be the case.

Mick 28-02-2017 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35887920)
EU citizens here before the referendum should have been given the right to stay, straight after the Referendum result. Brexit leaders wanted this to be the case.

Those EU Migrants who commit crime though, need to be sent packing, they lose their automatic right to stay in UK. This is how it should be.

1andrew1 01-03-2017 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35887924)
Those EU Migrants who commit crime though, need to be sent packing, they lose their automatic right to stay in UK. This is how it should be.

That's how it happens in the areas of the country with the courage to enforce the law and how it should be.

papa smurf 01-03-2017 07:15

'A LOATHSOME REPTILIAN!' Galloway launches extraordinary attack on Remainer Mandelson

:clap::clap::clap:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/773...son-Tony-Blair

TheDaddy 01-03-2017 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35887918)
I don't see it being an issue. I think the EU are playing hardball to avoid mini-deals being struck ahead of the talks. This will probably be the first deal done along with Visa free travel between EEA countries and the UK.

They're out of luck then, if we have any sort of plan imo it should have mini deals at its forefront, divide and conquer might be the best strategy to adopt behind the scenes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35887924)

After they've served any associated prison sentence

Damien 01-03-2017 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35887940)

Or serve it there. Off-topic but I feel that we should allow people to see out sentences in their own country where we're confident sentences will be roughly the same and conditions aren't inhumane. Mostly because I think that would be better for UK citizens that have committed crimes abroad.

Mick 01-03-2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35887940)

No, they get deported and serve a sentence in their own Country. Therefore, UK does not foot the bill during their incarceration, in a British Prison.

TheDaddy 01-03-2017 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35887951)
No, they get deported and serve a sentence in their own Country. Therefore, UK does not foot the bill during their incarceration, in a British Prison.

I seem to recall Britain giving Nigeria a million quid to improve their prisons under the terms of a bilateral prisoner exchange scheme so we are footing a bill and when you think about it what exactly is the incentive for countries like Nigeria to take these people back apart from bribes, obviously we can't wait to get our drug mules for instance back from Peru to make their little lives easier and turn them into z list celebrities upon release. Vietnam is high up the list of foreign criminals here and whilst their jail conditions are truly awful, if you've got a few quid they improve remarkably. Imo if you commit a crime in a country you serve your sentence there so the victims of your crime and that society as a whole can see justice being served.

1andrew1 01-03-2017 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35888033)
I seem to recall Britain giving Nigeria a million quid to improve their prisons under the terms of a bilateral prisoner exchange scheme so we are footing a bill and when you think about it what exactly is the incentive for countries like Nigeria to take these people back apart from bribes, obviously we can't wait to get our drug mules for instance back from Peru to make their little lives easier and turn them into z list celebrities upon release. Vietnam is high up the list of foreign criminals here and whilst their jail conditions are truly awful, if you've got a few quid they improve remarkably. Imo if you commit a crime in a country you serve your sentence there so the victims of your crime and that society as a whole can see justice being served.

Why should the country pay twice? Firstly, with the crimes committed on it and secondly by paying for the criminal's food and accommodation? Deport them.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

I agree with the Lords on this. We're British and we need to demonstrate our values of fairness.

Quote:

The government has been defeated after the House of Lords said ministers should guarantee EU nationals' right to stay in the UK after Brexit.
The vote, by 358 to 256, is the first Parliamentary defeat for the government's Brexit bill.
However, MPs will be able to remove their changes when the bill returns to the House of Commons.
Ministers say the issue is a priority but must be part of a deal protecting UK expats overseas.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39133400

RizzyKing 01-03-2017 19:02

This is not a defeat really our government always wanted the rights of EU citizens gauranteed and the same for ex pats and so on it was the EU that shut that down trying to look tough. I just hope the remain fanatics don't hamstring us too much during negotiations by getting us to give concessions without an equal reciprocal stance from the EU and i think that's their plan at the minute make brexit so lop sided that the public will turn against it.

papa smurf 01-03-2017 19:16

[QUOTE=1andrew1;35888035]Why should the country pay twice? Firstly, with the crimes committed on it and secondly by paying for the criminal's food and accommodation? Deport them.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

I agree with the Lords on this. We're British and we need to demonstrate our values of fairness.

your values are a weakness that will be exploited

passingbat 01-03-2017 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35888035)
We're British and we need to demonstrate our values of fairness.

History has been made!!!.... Andrew and myself agree on something ;):D