Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Eurozone will collapse... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33678876)

Sirius 21-06-2011 20:30

Re: Eurozone will collapse...

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35261437)
l will have to put this on record on you praising Gordon Brown.;)

Include me as well. The mans a prat but at least he kept us out of that shambles that is the Euro.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35261507)
You sure about that.;):D:D;)

Which one of those 2 sold the gold off for the cheapest price he could find :LOL: :Sprint:

Osem 21-06-2011 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35261475)
Nice to know you are blaming a politician other then a labour one.;)

Well with 13 years of government by New Labour with Brown at the top as Chancellor and PM ending only last year, it's hardly surprising that his name features rather a lot in our discussions about the mess we're in is it.

It was the same after Thatcher left office and, believe it or not, there are those around here who still go on about her as if she'd been in power until last year...... ;)

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35261563)
Which one of those 2 sold the gold off for the cheapest price he could find :LOL: :Sprint:

Yes I think that 'prudent' move rather dwarfs what was wasted at the time of the ERM debacle - our membership of which was, IIRC, supported by Labour at the time.

Hugh 21-06-2011 21:39

It was only £4.7 billion.....

Sirius 21-06-2011 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35261605)
It was only £4.7 billion.....

:rolleyes: only :)

Osem 21-06-2011 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35261608)
:rolleyes: only :)

£4.7billion and counting? :D

-----------------

Found this if anyone's interested: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...rown-told.html

Quote:

The taxpayer lost an estimated £7 billion, twice the amount lost when Britain left the Exchange Rate Mechanism in 1992.
The proceeds from the sales were invested in dollars, euros and yen. In recent years, most other countries have begun buying gold again in large quantities.
Sadly it all seems like peanuts given the vast sums currently at stake........

denphone 22-06-2011 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35261558)
I hold those who are responsible responsible, no matter what party - you should try it....;)

There have been Labour politicians who have made mistakes
and there can be no denying that and there has also been a lot of Conservative ones that have made monumental mistakes in the past and there can be no denying that either.

Chris 22-06-2011 08:41

Ah. So Labour politicians make mistakes, but when Tories make them they're 'monumental'. Balanced. Not. ;)

Osem 22-06-2011 09:42

I know whose monumental mistakes I'm more concerned about right now.

nomadking 22-06-2011 10:38

The ERM problems happened at a time when speculators were picking on different currencies, one after the other. If the speculators can be sure of how they are all likely to react(ie buy or sell a currency), then they can make easy money. IIRC the head of the German central bank(Bundesbank) said that sterling should be devalued, the government said they wouldn't. The ever helpful BBC News said that whenever a government said a devaluation wouldn't happen, it did anyway. This was the signal for action by the speculators. The government didn't devalue sterling, the money markets did. The speculators could profit by selling sterling, therefore driving the price down and then once things had settled, because the price had gone done, buy more sterling for the currency they had moved to(eg Deutsch Marks).

So the ERM problems were unseen to an extent, whereas the Gold issues where obvious straight away.

Osem 22-06-2011 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35261734)
The ERM problems happened at a time when speculators were picking on different currencies, one after the other. If the speculators can be sure of how they are all likely to react(ie buy or sell a currency), then they can make easy money. IIRC the head of the German central bank(Bundesbank) said that sterling should be devalued, the government said they wouldn't. The ever helpful BBC News said that whenever a government said a devaluation wouldn't happen, it did anyway. This was the signal for action by the speculators. The government didn't devalue sterling, the money markets did. The speculators could profit by selling sterling, therefore driving the price down and then once things had settled, because the price had gone done, buy more sterling for the currency they had moved to(eg Deutsch Marks).

So the ERM problems were unseen to an extent, whereas the Gold issues where obvious straight away.

That's a very good point. When the speculators sense blood they really go for it. One reason why the EU shouldn't be seen to be weak or dithering about the economic crisis.

denphone 22-06-2011 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35261703)
Ah. So Labour politicians make mistakes, but when Tories make them they're 'monumental'. Balanced. Not. ;)

Its depends on your political point of view but yes Gordon Brown made mistakes but there were strong world factors at work also and l do not think you can deny that either and on the point of balance well Chris that applys to many others on this forum as well.

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35261724)
I know whose monumental mistakes I'm more concerned about right now.

Yes Mr Cameron has been making a few lately.;)

Tuftus 23-06-2011 23:47

This seems to be a hot topic on Question Time...

Bump!

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Sorry, thought it was.

Clearly not.

Chris 23-06-2011 23:51

I'd have added a comment or two if I'd seen QT. We were watching last night's Apprentice on iPlayer instead.

Might catch up with QT tomorrow.

Osem 24-06-2011 10:13

It's here for those who don't mind having their blood pressure go off the scale..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t1q9

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

A smidgen of good news?

Quote:

David Cameron has won his battle to limit the amount of money the UK will have to contribute towards a second financial bail-out for Greece.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13896201

Chris 24-06-2011 10:16

Fair enough - I don't see a problem with us discharging our responsibilities via the IMF, however it is quite right that we don't pay a double whammy along with the Eurozone countries. They chose to take part in this batty currency experiment. We had the good sense to stay out of it.