Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Westminster Sexual Allegations (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705573)

ianch99 25-10-2017 10:17

Re: Labour MP's homophobic & sexist remarks

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35921718)
Seems more likely to be part of your relentless desire to post anything to discredit the Labour Party than any real concern for the remarks he made

Can't think what you mean? ;)

I am sure Osem will be along in a while with lots of threads about equally odious Tory MP's & Councillors.

Osem 25-10-2017 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35921733)
you might have to lift the odd rug to find it .

Yes I dare say quite a lot's been swept under...

It's ironic how some people who claim to want to defend tolerance and oppose prejudice, stereotyping etc. feel free to openly express a visceral hatred of 'Tories' no matter what they have/haven't done. It seems the mere label 'Tory' makes anyone fair game for a lifetime of all sorts of abuse but it doesn't stop there. They all too often talk the good talk about race, religion, discrimination etc. in parliament and to the media yet we find that their own actions give a very different picture of the sort of people they really are, the depths to which they'll sink and the means by which they'll get their way. Their particular form of nastiness is totally different however. It's justified because they say it is and their targets are fair game after all... They get caught out going too far and utter a half apology and they expect it to be enough. Not so for that Tory who's pure evil by definition... Had he/she uttered the very same words or done the very same things there'd be no possible forgiveness, no possible justification, no possible mitigation.

The hypocrisy evident amongst some people is quite staggering and those who're apologists for this sort of thing are just as bad IMHO. There's more about this nasty goon's behaviour in the media for those who care to look and it's not suitable for here but at least he's not a nasty Tory eh? :rolleyes:

papa smurf 25-10-2017 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35921776)
Yes I dare say quite a lot's been swept under...

well he's been suspended and operation carpet sweeper is underway ,i expect he will come out as squeaky clean .

Osem 25-10-2017 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35921781)
well he's been suspended and operation carpet sweeper is underway ,i expect he will come out as squeaky clean .

Well Labour have plenty of form when it comes to turning a blind eye to nastiness like this in their senior ranks let alone a minnow like this guy so it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe they'll prove us wrong eh? Time will tell.

Damien 25-10-2017 12:08

Labour have suspended him.

denphone 25-10-2017 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35921781)

Well UK politics have got previous history of that with all the sleaze scandals and misdeeds that go back to the Profumo affair and even before then so one should not be surprised..

Damien 25-10-2017 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35921776)
They all too often talk the good talk about race, religion, discrimination etc. in parliament and to the media yet we find that their own actions give a very different picture of the sort of people they really are, the depths to which they'll sink and the means by which they'll get their way.

I don't think he represents the entire party. All parties will have a few bad ones. It's dangerous use them to represent the entire group.

papa smurf 25-10-2017 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35921789)
I don't think he represents the entire party. All parties will have a few bad ones. It's dangerous use them to represent the entire group.

one rotten potato in a pack taints the rest with it's foul taste
or if you like rotten apple barrel ........;)

Osem 25-10-2017 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35921789)

I didn't here and never have said it represents the whole party or anything like that. I really don't think I could have been much clearer about that.

When Labour's leadership fails to act decisively on all these occurrences (even those which feature senior party figures like Livingstone and McDonnell) then they are not be directly responsible for the behaviour of those people but they very much are responsible for not dealing with it effectively and sending a message that they value their political friends and alliances more highly. If it'd been a Tory MP who'd said these things Labour would have been demanding his resignation to a man/woman.

heero_yuy 25-10-2017 13:21

It takes a very good farmer to spot a rotten apple at the top of the barrel and be sure there are none hidden below.

It's also a perfect example of why some people want the right to edit their past so we won't know how unpleasant they really are.

daveeb 25-10-2017 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35921773)
Can't think what you mean? ;)

I am sure Osem will be along in a while with lots of threads about equally odious Tory MP's & Councillors.

I'm really looking forward to reading them :hyper:

RichardCoulter 27-10-2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35921741)
Delete them to pretend they never existed?

I'm surprised you're advocating that alongside almost sngle handedly preaching in another thread about a clampdown on internet abuse.......:dozey:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35921745)
You'd think that he'd have the sense to sanitise his past when he decided to become an MP as (rightly or wrongly) they are expected to be whiter than white by the public.

There would be nothing wrong in an internet troll seeing the error of their ways and trying to minimise any upset caused by getting the remarks deleted, but I do have some sympathy with what you say as in if people choose to publish inappropriate things on the internet and it comes back to bite them on the bum in later life, then it's their own fault for doing it.

It was on the news today that there is now a call for the criminal records of young people to be wiped clean as it can ruin their lives and prevent them getting a career.

It's a difficult issue. Do people that made mistakes by committing on or offline crimes in the past and who have repented deserve to be punished forever more and prevented from making something of their lives (possibly leading back into a life of crime) or is it a case of saying that if they don't like the ramifications of what they've done, they shouldn't have done what they did in the first place?

Osem 28-10-2017 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35921795)
It takes a very good farmer to spot a rotten apple at the top of the barrel and be sure there are none hidden below.

It's also a perfect example of why some people want the right to edit their past so we won't know how unpleasant they really are.

Correct. There's a lot of important people out there in politics, the media, business, sport, entertainment etc. who behave one way in public and very differently in private and we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg emerge now. I'm sure a good many of these people are going to be exposed sooner or later and when they are we'll all be able to judge their hypocrisy as well as their behaviour.

denphone 28-10-2017 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35921795)

Sadly some attitudes are deeply entrenched in parts of the establishment and parts of society.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...day-programme/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...aken-seriously

richard s 28-10-2017 19:41

Nothing new here...