Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub & Virgin Media Business (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33677614)

Skie 02-06-2011 22:34

Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35250754)
Business support is purely UK..

Talking about the second coming of the superhub, praise be to the superhub.

jb66 02-06-2011 23:36

My hub that was rebooting every few hours has been online in another area for 6 days. I think there is a compatibility issue with the old amps where I live. Vmng300 has been solid in my house. Roll on the 100meg rollout, wonder if it will reboot after that!

Mick Fisher 03-06-2011 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35250809)
My hub that was rebooting every few hours has been online in another area for 6 days. I think there is a compatibility issue with the old amps where I live. Vmng300 has been solid in my house. Roll on the 100meg rollout, wonder if it will reboot after that!

My rebooting problem seems to have sorted itself out.

Only 1 spontaneous reboot in the last 10 days. No changes my end so your amp theory could be right. Definately some sort of a network issue IMO.

Kymmy 03-06-2011 10:39

This isn't a thread on Superhub issues but instead the coming usage of Superhubs by Virgin Media Business, can we please stay on topic.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 15:59

Thanks Kymmy...

My original question was whether there was any more information available about the Superhub that the VM Business service will use, which I gather is a different device to the residential one in part due to the fact that the device will need to form an L2TP tunnel to support the static IP services that VM Business will be offering.

As this service isn't yet launched information might not be available, which is fine. But any clarification would be really useful.

Also I gather there is a further 3 week delay in launch of the new VMB services, and I wonder if Superhub issues are the reason.

pip08456 03-06-2011 16:06

As the base for the service appears to be a version of the s****hub and they are still having firmware problems with the residential version, it could be the cause of the delay.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 22:10

That's exactly what I am wondering to be honest. There was a comment here that it was a completely different device, but it is still referred to as a Superhub.

Sephiroth 03-06-2011 22:34

It makes sense to me that the replacement SH would be used for VM Business.

But we're all trying to get inside VM's head. Some might say, VM's head is stuck in the sand and that they reckon their current SH to be the dogs because the majority of users aren't complaining.

Others might say that there is more than tacit recognition of the current SH's shortcomings because a replacement is on the way (no pun intended - go figure).

In the latter case, it would be remarkable (or pig headed) if the current SH would be supplied with a VM Business service.

Peter_ 03-06-2011 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35251369)
In the latter case, it would be remarkable (or pig headed) if the current SH would be supplied with a VM Business service.

Both Superhubs will be issued alongside each other with no distinction between them as they will be using the same firmware and interface so the would be no issue.

The only difference will be in that the are two suppliers.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 22:44

Masque - this is about the Superhub to be issued with the Virgin media business service not the residential service. There will be a difference as the Business one will support the creation of an L2TP tunnel. I don't believe the residential one has that capability.

This isn't a thread knocking the Superhub at all just about trying to get some understanding of the forthcoming Business Superhub if any information is available, neither is it about the forthcoming identical Superhub from another supplier, unless of course the business service will use the same device after all and there is L2TP capability that is hidden from view.

Peter_ 03-06-2011 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251379)
Masque - this is about the Superhub to be issued with the Virgin media business service not the residential service. There will be a difference as the Business one will support the creation of an L2TP tunnel. I don't believe the residential one has that capability.

It will be built by both suppliers though.

pip08456 03-06-2011 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251379)

This isn't a thread knocking the Superhub at all just about trying to get some understanding of the forthcoming Business Superhub if any information is available, neither is it about the forthcoming identical Superhub from another supplier, unless of course the business service will use the same device after all and there is L2TP capability that is hidden from view.

Masque works with residential so you can't blame him for lack of knowledge for business.

If I were a business customer though wishing to upgrade I'd be afraid, very afraid!

Chrysalis 03-06-2011 22:50

if the supplier is diferent ie. not netgear then the firmware will also be different because of different chips.

not to mention that the current firmware is netgear branded.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 22:51

So is the Superhub to be used by Virgin Media Business the same as the current residential one?

pip08456 03-06-2011 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251390)
So is the Superhub to be used by Virgin Media Business the same as the current residential one?

Who knows? VM are not releasing that info ATM. It is doing VM no favours as it leads to speculation that it will be.