Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   WiFi not working on one device (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712050)

iadom 27-07-2023 17:31

Re: WiFi not working on one device

Yes, the problem is that all ipconfig commands fail with the Media disconnected warning.
I have gone through all the online suggestions to rectify that fault to no avail.:(

peanut 27-07-2023 17:38

Other than reset network settings on this link..

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...just-6-clicks/

Would be easier to do a clean install of windows. That said, it could be the router that's the problem and not the PC. Can you reset to factory settings on the Hub itself using the pinhole at the back?

Running out of ideas now, something doesn't add up.

Jaymoss 27-07-2023 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36157365)
Other than reset network settings on this link..

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...just-6-clicks/

Would be easier to do a clean install of windows. That said, it could be the router that's the problem and not the PC. Can you reset to factory settings on the Hub itself using the pinhole at the back?

Running out of ideas now, something doesn't add up.

you would try an in place reinstall using the upgrade option surely before a clean install ?

peanut 27-07-2023 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36157373)
you would try an in place reinstall using the upgrade option surely before a clean install ?

Yeah you're right, whatever or whichever is best. Probably it's just me as I class any re-installation of windows as a clean install, and I admit it's wrong. It's because I use a clean 'image' back up of windows which only takes me 5-10 minutes to revert to. So I very rarely if ever do the upgrade way to reinstall if there's a problem.

Jaymoss 27-07-2023 19:27

I have used backupper for years and keep a regular known good full system image with all install

peanut 28-07-2023 08:28

Iadom, did you try a factory reset of your Hub? Using the pinhole at the back and holding it in for at least 10 seconds?

iadom 28-07-2023 09:32

If the hub/router was the problem why does wifi work perfectly on four other devices and why am I getting Media Disconnected warnings whenever I try to use ipconfig commands?

Have done a network reset three times.

Laptop is around 7 years old now and flags up as not suitable for Win 11 upgrade. And not easy to do upgrades without internet connection.

peanut 28-07-2023 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36157404)
If the hub/router was the problem why does wifi work perfectly on four other devices and why am I getting Media Disconnected warnings whenever I try to use ipconfig commands?

Not sure but things like this tends to be a process of elimination. So it's always worth a try just to rule it out.

Usually for that error then...

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Followed by checking if the network adapter is enable, would usually fix the problem of the media disconnected error.

Mr K 28-07-2023 09:43

Maybe obvious, but the thing that triggered this off was the introduction of your phone to the hub? Are things in the right sockets does the phone work? Disconnect the phone from the hub reboot and try?

Hugh 28-07-2023 09:43

Does the laptop connect through a cable?

iadom 28-07-2023 10:21

The laptop will not connect via wifi or ethernet cable.

Did unplug the phone .

Have gone through the whole of the reset Winsock procedures two or three times..

peanut 28-07-2023 10:48

Apart from factory reset of your hub which is still worth a try, the only other option I can see is to repair windows from settings (system / recovery).

Back up any important files etc to another partition, external or disks etc.

iadom 28-07-2023 11:10

Surely any problems on the hub would still not cause the Media Disconnected error message on the laptop. Apart from the two tablets and two smartphones we have a Portal, Echo Dot, CCTV system and a couple of TV’s all connected to the hub and all functioning correctly.

Irrespective of the hub I should still be able to use ipconfig commands on the laptop.

peanut 28-07-2023 11:17

Can you use your phone as a wifi hotspot and see if the laptop connects to that?

iadom 28-07-2023 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36157412)
Apart from factory reset of your hub which is still worth a try, the only other option I can see is to repair windows from settings (system / recovery).

Back up any important files etc to another partition, external or disks etc.

Just looking at this option I cannot see a recovery option in Settings / System?

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36157415)
Can you use your phone as a wifi hotspot and see if the laptop connects to that?

Will have a look at that but as it will not connect via Ethernet either I doubt that will work.