Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33670455)

i love virgin 02-12-2010 22:59

Re: TiVo

Can i ask how it will work for Paying for the box?

Does it get added to bill or do you pay for it when they ring up for install date?

Stuart 02-12-2010 23:00

Generally they just add it to the bill

Sirius 03-12-2010 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35131847)
http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/

^^^
I'll see if I can update that now and then.

Nice blog

whizzard 03-12-2010 13:07

Re: Tivo

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartMart (Post 35131388)
I'm confused because the information published here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4...h-of-tivo.html, contradicts what it says here: https://tivo.virginmedia.com/public/interest :erm:

Has TiVo been launched or hasn't it ??

Regards .....

It has been launched, but all customers can do at the moment is register their interest. Installs will not take place until the new year, so at best all you can hope for is a call in response to your registered interest.

Stuart 03-12-2010 13:27

I believe it's what they call a "soft launch", with a strictly limited number of Tivo boxes going out so they can do a last minute large scale test of the boxes, the software and any headend hardware/software needed.

After all, they can test in the lab as much as they want, they'll never get quite the same results they do when they let 100s of users on to the system. I'm sure any system admins or developers on this board will know exactly what I mean..

whizzard 03-12-2010 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35132044)
I believe it's what they call a "soft launch", with a strictly limited number of Tivo boxes going out so they can do a last minute large scale test of the boxes, the software and any headend hardware/software needed.

After all, they can test in the lab as much as they want, they'll never get quite the same results they do when they let 100s of users on to the system. I'm sure any system admins or developers on this board will know exactly what I mean..

Exactly what it is , the limited "staff" rollout mentioned elsewhere being basically a walled customer pilot if you want to look at it in layman's terms. They are literally the very first people having it installed.

clinteastman 03-12-2010 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35132044)

Stuart, do you think there will be any installs for customers this side of 2011?

whizzard 03-12-2010 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinteastman (Post 35132046)
Stuart, do you think there will be any installs for customers this side of 2011?

As per the above comment, there are unlikely to be any customer installs this side of the new year, as those on the initial internal staff "trial" are still to even have theirs installed and its been documented on the forums that this wont be happening till the middle of this month, making any general installs this side of Xmas very unlikely.

Stuart 03-12-2010 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinteastman (Post 35132046)

I don't know any more than you about it, but from past experience, VM don't roll out new products or services in December, even if they are fully tested. The reasoning behind this is simple. A lot of people take time off for various reasons around xmas (xmas shopping, xmas parties, suspicious sickness and holidays), so if something goes badly wrong with the system upon introduction, VM may not have enough staff in to cope..

clinteastman 03-12-2010 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35132073)
I don't know any more than you about it, but from past experience, VM don't roll out new products or services in December, even if they are fully tested. The reasoning behind this is simple. A lot of people take time off for various reasons around xmas (xmas shopping, xmas parties, suspicious sickness and holidays), so if something goes badly wrong with the system upon introduction, VM may not have enough staff in to cope..

Yeah it seems like an odd time to roll out, even to staff. Thanks Stuart.

tweedie 03-12-2010 14:37

Will Tivo have a better EPG update procedure? eg will it automatically adjust if say football goes over the alotted time?

Strangerstill 03-12-2010 15:32

Anyone know if it will have the 'timebar' at the bottom of the screen and if it will be possible to move a pointer to where you want to watch from same as the original UK tivos. This of course for recorded material plus what's in the buffer?

Stephen 03-12-2010 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by whizzard (Post 35132054)
As per the above comment, there are unlikely to be any customer installs this side of the new year, as those on the initial internal staff "trial" are still to even have theirs installed and its been documented on the forums that this wont be happening till the middle of this month, making any general installs this side of Xmas very unlikely.

This staff thing isn't a trial they are paying for the service so its not a trial. Trials are already started and in progress. I don't think they will get installs for general customers started till the new year though.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweedie (Post 35132076)
Will Tivo have a better EPG update procedure? eg will it automatically adjust if say football goes over the alotted time?

As I understand that is they way its meant to work.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strangerstill (Post 35132103)
Anyone know if it will have the 'timebar' at the bottom of the screen and if it will be possible to move a pointer to where you want to watch from same as the original UK tivos. This of course for recorded material plus what's in the buffer?

When you are watching a recording or on demand programme or rewinding live tv there is a time bar that shows where in the program you are just like the current TiVo service in America.

ahardie 03-12-2010 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35132105)

As I understand that is they way its meant to work.

I hope it is the case that it does update if programmes overrun. This is an advantage other platforms have over VM. I think with those systems the broadcasters are actually able to input changes themselves. To be honest it doesn't happen very often but if VM are going to have an all singing all dancing epg and software they don't want any features of it to be bettered by their competitors.

HDFootyMan 03-12-2010 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35131945)
Nice blog

Thanks. :)