Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Please document any V6 issues here. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704015)

RichardCoulter 18-03-2017 16:31

Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35890615)
I don't have time to read back just now to see if this has been reported but I'm recording the rugby which includes two back to back programmes on BBC One with a couple of minutes added at start and end of recording. When the second recording started the box froze. It rebooted a few minutes later (perhaps when the first recording stopped).

Some users have reported that some recordings are causing the box to reboot; someone has posted that a fix is under way. This hasn't happened to me, but it keeps stopping the recording of some programmes a few minutes in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz100 (Post 35889222)
I figured it out I had flagged HD only and so it hadn't picked it up.

Isn't the setting now HD 'if possible' :confused:

BenMcr 18-03-2017 17:59

If you set a Series Link to All Channels you get a HD choice of Always / If Possible / Never.

If a Series Link is set to a specific channel the option becomes set via the channel type.

RichardCoulter 18-03-2017 22:05

I'd think it best to set it to 'if possible' then as it's better to end up with an SD recording than none at all.

Perhaps it makes the wrong choice sometimes, so this is why people use 'Always'??

BenMcr 18-03-2017 22:20

All depends on your preferences and the situation.

For instance CBS Action is SD only, however shows Star Trek from time to time. SyFy show Star Trek in both SD and HD when they can. What they show could be the same version of the show but in different seasons.

So you can choose if you'd only want to record the quality of the show you'd prefer for either viewing reasons or disk space reasons, or as you say get whatever if best available for your other series link choices.

Same applies for NCIS. That's shown across both SD and HD channels at different points. So being able to specify the quality alongside the other options can help ensure you get the episodes you want.

knack 19-03-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35890626)
Some users have reported that some recordings are causing the box to reboot; someone has posted that a fix is under way. This hasn't happened to me, but it keeps stopping the recording of some programmes a few minutes in.

Thank you.

RichardCoulter 22-03-2017 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35890756)
Thank you.

You're welcome :)

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35889708)
Yesterday, the dreaded spinning purple circle made a reappearance a few times.

It wasn't as bad as the old TiVo, but worrying nevertheless.

I posted the above on 12/3/17. Today (22/3/17), it's significantly deteriorated.

The spinning purple circle whilst moving between screens is back with a vengeance, it won't let me extend Planned Recordings and won't allow me to search and view upcoming episodes. Once into the play screen, it does start straight away (unlike the old TiVo).

I do hope that this is a temporary thing. Has anyone else been affected?

I did wonder if the Quick View update had slowed it down, but upon checking I don't appear to have it yet.

A reboot made no difference at all and my HDD is 63% full.

RichardCoulter 23-03-2017 17:29

Did another reboot this morning and all is back to normal.

Not sure what happened, but I'm glad it's corrected itself.

It's taught me that one reboot may not be enough to clear problems, if problems persist after a reboot, try another ;)

derekh 28-03-2017 12:18

I have a NOW box as well as the V6. The now box is connected via WIFI and the V6 has an Ethernet connection from a Netgear Wi fi extender.

When I watch from the NOW box the V6 disconnects, and obviously does not record anything. When I switch the NOW box off the V6 reboots from scratch.

Has anyone else experienced this strange problem?

spiderplant 28-03-2017 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekh (Post 35892041)
I have a NOW box as well as the V6. The now box is connected via WIFI and the V6 has an Ethernet connection from a Netgear Wi fi extender.

When I watch from the NOW box the V6 disconnects, and obviously does not record anything. When I switch the NOW box off the V6 reboots from scratch.

Has anyone else experienced this strange problem?

That's more likely to be a problem with the TV than the Wi-Fi. To test this, try unplugging the V6's HDMI lead before you switch to the NOW TV.

What make and model TV is it?

OLDGOLD 28-03-2017 22:34

Quote:

I've started experiencing this over the last couple of days. Very worrying indeed! I see from your later posts that a couple of reboots have fixed the issue. I'll have to give that a go and see how I get on.

RichardCoulter 29-03-2017 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35892135)
I've started experiencing this over the last couple of days. Very worrying indeed! I see from your later posts that a couple of reboots have fixed the issue. I'll have to give that a go and see how I get on.

It's started doing it again this evening, not as bad as the old TiVo, but taking about 10 seconds to retrieve screens eg Planned Recordings.

My old TiVo was fine for the first three months before it started doing this, my V6 was about six months old before it started doing this a short time ago.

I don't really want to have to keep rebooting it or removing Suggestions (as were advised for the old TiVo) to keep it working properly.

OLDGOLD 29-03-2017 06:37

I haven't got any suggestions recorded as I've switched the feature off. My Shows only got a few programmes in it too, about 4% used.

greeninferno 29-03-2017 13:10

Quote:

was it losing internet connection at the time

daz100 29-03-2017 14:44

Spinning circle is back looks like the internet down but the router seems ok?
Other devices are working just not the v6

RichardCoulter 29-03-2017 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35892199)
was it losing internet connection at the time

Yes, some of the time as it wouldn't let me use VOD as an alternative to watching what I'd recorded.

Error C501 kept coming up too.

Someone asked this on the VM community​ forum a few weeks ago, but the thread appears to have been abandoned by staff:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...3039264/page/2

Not used it today to see if it's been sorted out.