Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

spiderplant 10-12-2016 20:14

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertsteptoe (Post 35874996)
spiderplant, sorry to be a pain one more question please, do you mean a Ethernet cable from my old Tivo or to V6.

From old TiVo to SuperHub. The V6 will have already a connection to the SuperHub (could be Ethernet, Wifi or Powerline, depending on how the installer set it up)

albertsteptoe 10-12-2016 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35875000)
From old TiVo to SuperHub. The V6 will have already a connection to the SuperHub (could be Ethernet, Wifi or Powerline, depending on how the installer set it up)

Thanks a lot for that spiderplant, thanks for everyones help, ill wait for things to quite down be for i order, good luck to everyone getting one soon.

Ddonald2016 10-12-2016 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35874999)
Its just a shame we can download to tablet but with restrictions there are not many channels allowed to download from

How do people here feel bout not being able to download the majority of shows to tablets

RobboEdin 10-12-2016 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35875004)
How do people here feel bout not being able to download the majority of shows to tablets

I couldn't care less. I see no need for this function for me or my family.

paulg 10-12-2016 22:56

Forgive me for not wading through 151 pages of this just in case this has already been answered. But I understand that one shouldn't lose one's existing recordings when one switches from old TiVo to new V6. But how does this work? Do they just shove the old (and perhaps tired) hard drive - which in my case has about 800 Mb of recordings - into the new box? Or do they have some incredibly fast copying device? Because it would normally take a long time to transfer this much data. Help would be appreciated.

passingbat 10-12-2016 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35875005)
I couldn't care less. I see no need for this function for me or my family.

+1 for me but I suspect it will be a desirable feature for others. This why it would help if we knew what channels Sky Q can do. If they have the same channels restricted (excluding Sky channels), then we know it is a content provider restriction

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulg (Post 35875014)
Forgive me for not wading through 151 pages of this just in case this has already been answered. But I understand that one shouldn't lose one's existing recordings when one switches from old TiVo to new V6. But how does this work? Do they just shove the old (and perhaps tired) hard drive - which in my case has about 800 Mb of recordings - into the new box? Or do they have some incredibly fast copying device? Because it would normally take a long time to transfer this much data. Help would be appreciated.

With a straight swop, you will lose your recordings. You should be able to transfer series link and Whishlist settings to the V6

OhReally 10-12-2016 23:47

Quote:

Personally, I don't care, why would you watch on a tiny 7 or 10 inch screen with a 42 incher sitting in the corner.

But seeing as they are touting this as part of the "biggest revolution in tv history", shows what a hollow pointless claim that it is. Especially as apparently according to earlier posts you can't even stream anything you like from V6 to V6 (or did I misread that?)

If you can't view ANY recording on another device then what's the point?

Ddonald2016 11-12-2016 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35875017)
Personally, I don't care, why would you watch on a tiny 7 or 10 inch screen with a 42 incher sitting in the corner.

But seeing as they are touting this as part of the "biggest revolution in tv history", shows what a hollow pointless claim that it is. Especially as apparently according to earlier posts you can't even stream anything you like from V6 to V6 (or did I misread that?)

If you can't view ANY recording on another device then what's the point?

Hi you can stream recordings from v6 to v6 via wifi no issues

OLD BOY 11-12-2016 09:51

Quote:

I prefer watching TV on a big screen. I'm not so addicted that I need to carry my programmes around on a tablet as well.

nialli 11-12-2016 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulg (Post 35875014)

Unless you plan to keep your old TiVo as a second box in your home, you will lose your old recordings, all 800Gb of them.
If you have a V6 and your old TiVo is connected (i.e. wired) to the same network then you can stream your old recordings to the V6.
Virgin Media will not copy old recordings to a new box - whether they could or not I have no idea, but any statements that old recordings are retained is not true.

muppetman11 11-12-2016 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35875045)
I prefer watching TV on a big screen. I'm not so addicted that I need to carry my programmes around on a tablet as well.

But then Virgin Media aren't just catering for you are they ?

Ddonald2016 11-12-2016 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35875047)

I agree totally and how is a few channels ground breaking

muppetman11 11-12-2016 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35875048)

You do realise that whilst the Sky Q app allows streaming of all channels in the home to mobile/tablet devices it does not allow downloading of recordings from every channel , rights restrictions apply to Sky just the same as VM.

nomadking 11-12-2016 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35875048)

In time more channels and programmes will be allowed. TV Anywhere was more restricted when it started, but over time more was added.

denphone 11-12-2016 11:11

Quote:

We don't download to tablets so it will make diddly squat difference.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35875047)

Indeed TV providers would be pretty foolish if they just catered for a certain section of their TV customer base.