Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss" (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33674544)

muppetman11 25-02-2011 19:38

Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

Virgin shouldn't pay stupid money , but I still believe the majority of there customer base would like to see Atlantic on the VM platform.

alwaysabear 25-02-2011 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35182228)
Virgin shouldn't pay stupid money , but I still believe the majority of there customer base would like to see Atlantic on the VM platform.

The way things are going I think we will get it sooner or later.

Chad 25-02-2011 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35182228)

Totally agree however whilst Virgins customer base may want the channel, how many would actually watch it? If the SKY viewing figures are anything to go by it doesn't seem like it's a channel Virgin should be investing much money in getting.

If it came down to a choice between either getting the ITV HD channels or SKY Atlantic, I'd take the ITV channels.

passingbat 25-02-2011 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35182289)
Totally agree however whilst Virgins customer base may want the channel, how many would actually watch it? If the SKY viewing figures are anything to go by it doesn't seem like it's a channel Virgin should be investing much money in getting.

If it came down to a choice between either getting the ITV HD channels or SKY Atlantic, I'd take the ITV channels.

I'd watch it, so that's 1.

And I'd definitely take it over HD versions of ITV 2, 3, and 4, which mainly show older shows that are SD repeated content, though there is some new HD content.

sherer 25-02-2011 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35182297)
I'd watch it, so that's 1.

And I'd definitely take it over HD versions of ITV 2, 3, and 4, which mainly show older shows that are SD repeated content, though there is some new HD content.

isn't that the same as Sky Atlantic though, repeated content with a few new programmes

cimt 25-02-2011 23:18

Nope, HD has been very popular for years in the US. The majority of the content from there will be HD

Digital Fanatic 26-02-2011 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35182377)
Nope, HD has been very popular for years in the US. The majority of the content from there will be HD

Yeah, plus SD in America was awful compared with UK SD. It was a bigger leap for them in terms of picture quality.

Chad 26-02-2011 01:21

The figures for the week between the 07th and 13th of February on Barb don't cover SKY Atlantic in glory. A weekly share of just 0.3%. Even the following channels out performed SKY Atlantic during this period:

SKY 3
SKY News
SKY Sports News
4 Music
Alibi
BBC News
CBBC
CBeebies
Challenge TV
Dave Ja Vu
E4 + 1
G.O.L.D.
ITV3
Nick Jr.

Okay so some of the above channels are on Freeview and other formats so have an advantage in terms of drawing a viewing audience. Cbeebies weekly share is 4 times more than SKY Atlantic.

passingbat 26-02-2011 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherer (Post 35182332)
isn't that the same as Sky Atlantic though, repeated content with a few new programmes

True, but the new stuff on Atlantic is mostly critically acclaimed and we can see the ITV shoes already.

Doz007 26-02-2011 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35182411)
The figures for the week between the 07th and 13th of February on Barb don't cover SKY Atlantic in glory. A weekly share of just 0.3%. Even the following channels out performed SKY Atlantic during this period:

SKY 3
SKY News
SKY Sports News
4 Music
Alibi
BBC News
CBBC
CBeebies
Challenge TV
Dave Ja Vu
E4 + 1
G.O.L.D.
ITV3
Nick Jr.

Okay so some of the above channels are on Freeview and other formats so have an advantage in terms of drawing a viewing audience. Cbeebies weekly share is 4 times more than SKY Atlantic.

Wow, that list really shows how little impact all that advertising has has on viewing figures!

I've watched countless TV ads and seen several billboards promoting the new channel, I think Sky expected this to be a really big hitting channel. They must be hugely disappointed by these figures. :dozey:

borrissey 26-02-2011 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35182238)
The way things are going I think we will get it sooner or later.

Man I hope so!!!!

OLD BOY 26-02-2011 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35182411)

SKY 3
SKY News
SKY Sports News
4 Music
Alibi
BBC News
CBBC
CBeebies
Challenge TV
Dave Ja Vu
E4 + 1
G.O.L.D.
ITV3
Nick Jr.

Wow, it must have been bad if people preferred CBeebies!

Down the Pub 26-02-2011 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35182797)

hey hey easy tiger, can't beat a good episode of rastamouse to unwind after work followed by gigglebiz and topped of with a bit of chuggington.

.................bet sky look at that and think if only we had that calibre of quality programming :D

devilincarnate 26-02-2011 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35182797)

Do not worry as i will be able to add to that viewing figures next year as my partner is due to give birth in May ( so if they are getting the shares on the viewing figures it shows what people were doing over a year ago ):erm:

Marcus125 27-02-2011 14:22

I think part of Sky Atlantics problem are the slots for shows are already filled for most viewers.

EG 10pm is taken in our house almost every night with an already established in our viewing habbits show.

As some series end EG Shamleess, Vampire diaries, True blood, ect ect then maybe people will wonder over to Atlantic.

Although TREME and BIG LOVE are now being squeezed in or recorded and watched at another time in our home.

I wonder if there is a figure for recorded shows? We record about 7 or 8 shows off Atlantic but don't watch a lot live broadcast.