Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Rugby : Rugby Union Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33608931)

yesman 15-10-2007 00:00

Re: Rugby Union

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal (Post 34414866)
I do realise that I have more chance of seeing a squadron of pigs taking off from Manchester airport under their own power,

We don't play Arsenal yet, but then you might ;)

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34414530)
Same reason I react the same on the odd occasion when Arsenal win something.

So you saying it's some sort of rivalry thing, well I realise Wales would like/ strive to be as good but given your performances over the last 25 years it's like comparing Premier league with the conference and tbh it's a rivalry no one in England is interested in

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34414726)
Yet according to some, this never actually happens.

Still waiting for you to provide evidence of it before the start of the tournament or at the group stages

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34414860)
Perhaps it's not just them mentioning England but the way they're being mentioned, forgetting their supposed impartiality?

Will Greenwood is a current World Champion who played in the same team as a lot of those players, he wasn't hired for his impartiality, he was hired to give us an insight into what they are thinking and what is going on in the dressing room

Russ 15-10-2007 09:08

It's tough to provide tv and radio clips from the past on here.

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34414948)
It's tough to provide tv and radio clips from the past on here.

Newspapers will do and you don't have to go that far back, just to the start of the tournament and the group stages

c_r 15-10-2007 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34414860)
Perhaps it's not just them mentioning England but the way they're being mentioned, forgetting their supposed impartiality?

What supposed inpartiality? Why should they be impartial? Other country's commentators aren't.

Russ 15-10-2007 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34414950)
Newspapers will do and you don't have to go that far back, just to the start of the tournament and the group stages

Right, so scanned newspaper cuttings from more than a week ago will do? Seeing as websites rarely print actual layouts of pages which show England getting more columns than the rest of us (ie like you'd see for yourself if you'd get a copy of yesterday's People for example).

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by c_r (Post 34415037)
What supposed inpartiality? Why should they be impartial? Other country's commentators aren't.

I don't care about how other countries do it. Commentators are there to provide impartial commentary otherwise what's the point?

Saaf_laandon_mo 15-10-2007 13:17

IS there not a Welsh version of the People? I mean when I go to Scotland and read the papers there, all the sport relates to scottish teams, for example the football talks about the Scottish leagues and very little premiership stuff is reported.

I don't really see what the big deal is to be honest, so Greenwood went on about England during yesterdays game, but I bet a large proportion of UK viewrers yesterday were English, or would have had an interest in England, over SA or Argentina. Whats the point of greenwood just going on about Welsh or Scottish players when the're no longer in the competition?

England reaching the final this year is a big deal, no one thought they'd beat Austrailia or Frnce, given the pasting SA handed to them. In all honesty I think the coverage was justified to go on about the England players, its all part of the build up.

People have been going on about England winning the world cup in 1966 up until now, so you cant blame a rugby commentator for going on about them reaching the final, just one day after the semis.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415041)
I don't care about how other countries do it. Commentators are there to provide impartial commentary otherwise what's the point?

But I think you should accept that they dont, not just in England, but in England, Wales, Scotland , Ireland and most likely all over the world. So just live with it, its not that big a deal.

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415041)
Right, so scanned newspaper cuttings from more than a week ago will do? Seeing as websites rarely print actual layouts of pages which show England getting more columns than the rest of us (ie like you'd see for yourself if you'd get a copy of yesterday's People for example).

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Russ this competition has been going on over a month and was largely ignored before it started and during the group stages, mainly because England stuttered and the other home nations went out on a whimper in most cases

The commentators have been pretty impartial, it's the pundits if anyone showing bias and they don't have a mandate to be impartial

Russ 15-10-2007 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34415051)
Russ this competition has been going on over a month and was largely ignored before it started and during the group stages, mainly because England stuttered and the other home nations went out on a whimper in most cases

The commentators have been pretty impartial, it's the pundits if anyone showing bias and they don't have a mandate to be impartial

You'd have enough to say if the commentators or 'pundits' were blatantly anti English.

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415052)
You'd have enough to say if the commentators or 'pundits' were blatantly anti English.

What as anti English as you perhaps? I haven't seen them be anti anyone, so what a couple of pundits went a bit OTT after seeing their ex team mates and friends reach the final again, I don't think the worse of them for it, they are ex rugby players first and foremost, part time hobby tv pundits second

gazzae 15-10-2007 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo (Post 34415046)
IS there not a Welsh version of the People? I mean when I go to Scotland and read the papers there, all the sport relates to scottish teams, for example the football talks about the Scottish leagues and very little premiership stuff is reported.

We get the same over here. For example the Daily Mirror today has an 8 page pullout on the Irish League and the headline on the back page is about Darren Gibson.

Russ 15-10-2007 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34415056)
What as anti English as you perhaps?

But as you are fully aware I'm not anti English. My point was based on tin notion they should be more impartial.

Saaf_laandon_mo 15-10-2007 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazzae (Post 34415070)
We get the same over here. For example the Daily Mirror today has an 8 page pullout on the Irish League and the headline on the back page is about Darren Gibson.

Thats why I dont understand why he's whinging about the paper coverage. Ifs its a welsh paper I can understand his point, but if its a English newspaper he should just buy the welsh equivalent.

Russ 15-10-2007 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo (Post 34415079)
Thats why I dont understand why he's whinging about the paper coverage. Ifs its a welsh paper I can understand his point, but if its a English newspaper he should just buy the welsh equivalent.

Maybe it's because there isn't a Welsh equivalent?

Saaf_laandon_mo 15-10-2007 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415096)
Maybe it's because there isn't a Welsh equivalent?

Well then, as I said in my post, I can understand why you're moaning.

Russ, are all the papers in Wales the english versions? For example does the Sun on monday have an english premiership pull out or does it cover Welsh football?

If there are welsh versions of other papers then why carry on reading the People if you dont like their English bias?