Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Novak Djokovic tries to go to Oz (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710718)

nomadking 16-01-2022 07:44

Re: Novak Djokovic tries to go to Oz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36109492)
I never said it was my business - Jesus Christ - we are debating in a bloody topic aren't we? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Then his judgement should come from the rule of law - not a minister.

Even the European Charter of Human Rights(BTW not the EU), classes this sort of thing as an administrative matter, with no legal or civil rights involved. Same goes for extradition and deportation matters.

Quote:

A guide to the implementation of Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights
p15
Matters of immigration and nationality
In Maaouia v. France the Grand Chamber held that proceedings
resulting in a deportation order were not criminal nor did they
determine a civil right
, even when the deportation order was
imposed as a direct consequence of a criminal conviction.

1andrew1 16-01-2022 08:39

Djokovic has lost the appeal so will be deported. Full reasons to be published in the coming days. Also faces a three-year ban.
https://news.sky.com/story/novak-djo...-visa-12516793

Ken W 16-01-2022 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36109745)
Djokovic has lost the appeal so will be deported. Full reasons to be published in the coming days. Also faces a three-year ban.
https://news.sky.com/story/novak-djo...-visa-12516793

Good

papa smurf 16-01-2022 09:02

Australia in panic mode as man with tennis racket threatens their very existence, what a pathetic bunch of numpty's.

bigsinky 16-01-2022 09:12

Good job Oz. Boot him out on his arse. 3 year ban as well.

Julian 16-01-2022 09:40

Since the Serb authorities were quite happy to join in with the “ novak has had COVID “ bolleaux why didn’t they just pretend he has been vaccinated.

jfman 16-01-2022 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36109749)
Since the Serb authorities were quite happy to join in with the “ novak has had COVID “ bolleaux why didn’t they just pretend he has been vaccinated.

If you’re that principled an anti vaxxer you wouldn’t fake it.

papa smurf 16-01-2022 10:08

Thank God it was only a single tennis player, had it been a mixed doubles team ozz would no doubt have fallen, as i understand it the new fleet of nuclear submarines will now be fitted with anti tennis player technology.

Remember if you spot a tennis player dob em in.

Hugh 16-01-2022 10:12

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36109756)
Thank God it was only a single tennis player, had it been a mixed doubles team ozz would no doubt have fallen, as i understand it the new fleet of nuclear submarines will now be fitted with anti tennis player technology.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1642327948

jfman 16-01-2022 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36109756)

Good news for the Scots is our only player is in Aus so not a high chance. Otherwise we’re all too wee, too poor etc. More chance of the High Court than a tennis one.

Hugh 16-01-2022 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36109759)
Good news for the Scots is our only player is in Aus so not a high chance. Otherwise we’re all too wee, too poor etc. More chance of the High Court than a tennis one.

Jamie’s there as well…

Hom3r 16-01-2022 10:35

I've been messaging my cousin in Oz, according to her the news polls put it at 95% of Australians back his deportation, many said he should have been deported immediately and appealed from outside Australia.

1andrew1 16-01-2022 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36109764)
I've been messaging my cousin in Oz, according to her the news polls put it at 95% of Australians back his deportation, many said he should have been deported immediately and appealed from outside Australia.

Exactly. Some people in the UK seem to be having great difficulty in a former colony exercising its democratic rights.

Mr K 16-01-2022 11:04

Hope theres an investigation into his supposed positive covid test. Although the Serbian authorities were probably complicit in concocting that one.

Inactive Digital 16-01-2022 11:23

I'm confused.

If Djokovic was going to be deported for the "errors" on his visa application form, fair enough. But the government's reason was on health and public order grounds.

From what I've seen of the appeal overnight, the government seems to have been relying on comments he made in April 2020 as evidence that he stirs up anti-vax sentiment. If that is such a concern, why was he granted a visa in the first place? His opinions on vaccines are well documented and were known before he applied for his visa - it seems a failure of government policy that he was allowed permission to enter the country at all if they believe him to be a risk to the public.

This is purely political gesturing ahead of elections. Australian's in some states are living under some of the strictest restrictions in the world. I fully understand their anger that Djokovic was able to enter the country given the rules they are living under. But make no mistake, this farcical chain of events deflects their anger, wrongly in my opinion, away from the government removing their liberties and onto a tennis player who the government accepts poses litlle risk of transmitting Covid but has chosen not to be vaccinated.

Vaccines have had a tremendous impact on saving lives across the world - especially in the elderly and most vulnerable. But the stigmatising division being sown by governments across the world leaves me feeling very uncomfortable.